Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64

Thread: How McDonalds Abuseds it's Workers.....or Maybe Not?

  1. #1

    How McDonalds Abuseds it's Workers.....or Maybe Not?

    http://money.cnn.com/gallery/news/ec...html?hpt=hp_c3

    Typical article about minimum wage jobs.

    Ignores the fact that minimum wage food jobs are not intended to be careers because they can easily be filled by teens and part timers. McDonalds has no moral imperative to raise costs so someone can make flinging burgers a comfortable career.

    Worse, the article gives four "real" cases of why mcDonalds is evil by giving four examples of real employees budgets.

    Lets take a look at how flawed this argument really truly is:



    Devonte Yates, 21, is working to get an Associate's Degree in criminal justice and logs in about 25 hours a week at a McDonald's in Milwaukee. To cut down on costs, he lives with his mom and little sister. Still, he struggles to pay his $180 tuition bill each month. He's only able to pay about $90.

    He said that the school is more forgiving of him not paying his bill in full while he is still taking classes. But when he graduates next semester, he is worried about how he's going to pay it back.

    Besides tuition, some of Yates' expenses that fall under the "other" category are $40 per month for contact lenses and $50 on clothes. Food, at $300, is his biggest monthly expense, as it is for most of the other workers interviewed.
    So, #1 is a part-timer in college. Well, first off it's his chocie to go to school despite not being able to afford it, nor (apparently) having any family support to allow him to defry costs (perhaps his Mother should not charge him $250 a month in rent if he's so desperate?)

    While it's admirable to go to college, it's not a right. if you can't afford it, you work till you can (like I did and like many folks do). You work your ass off, get a better job, then go to school, when you can afford it and (often) when your better job will help with education. Also, doesn't mention fi this person tried to get mcDonalds to help with Education (they do if the employee has a future as a Manager).

    Solution: Hold off on school, work to better his job (either up in McDonalds, or elsewhere), work 40 hour full time job (or two part-time's to get 40), then take one class a semester or more once he can afford it.



    It's been near impossible for Christopher Drumgold to raise two kids while making $7.40 an hour at McDonald's. His kids attend a Detroit charter school that doesn't have a bus. So he has to pay for bus or cab fare for them to get to school everyday.

    What's more, Drumgold said his 12-year-old son is "as big as Shaquille O'Neal," with a size-13 shoe. He constantly outgrows his clothes or needs a haircut, all of which adds to expenses.

    "I had to find a bootleg barber to get him an affordable haircut," he said.

    He pays about $15 a month for haircuts, another $100 on childcare and another $100 on prescription drugs.
    So, #2 has two kids. Two. And his best job option is working at McDonalds?

    My first quiestion is wtf did he choose to have two kids when he cannot even afford to manage his own upkeep?

    My second question is "why pay for haircuts when a trimmer is a one-time cost and cutting ones own hair short is very very easy".

    My third question.....charter school with no bus? How about public school?



    Each month, Kyle Steele gives half his paycheck to his daughter's mother. What's left is not enough to pay his gas and car insurance bills. He tries to keeps his food costs down by eating most of his meals at McDonald's.

    His gas bill, at $160 each month, eats up a big portion of his budget.

    He said he often borrows money from friends and family to get by.
    So he pays child support to his baby momma......and we're supposed to feel bad for him? $210 a month on phone and TV (drop the TV then).

    $415 a month isn't even what the 25 hour a weekk guy makes, meaning this guy isn't even working a 25 hr/wk job and has no second job.

    Um, get off your butt and work maybe? I havn't worked less that 40 hours a week since I was 17.



    Tyree Johnson works at two separate McDonald's restaurants in Chicago to get enough hours to make ends meet. He's worked at the fast food chain for 21 years, but said he still struggles to pay for a monthly bus pass and his prescription drugs.

    "I pray to God that I can come out of this situation and try to better myself," he said.
    Of them all, this one I feel for, because clearly if he's still at McDonalds 21 years later, not a Manager, and with no abillity to change jobs for better, he must be seriously lacking in skills. And that sucks. I can't even fathom it.

    He's working two jobs, trying hard, I get it.....but seriously, 21 years at McD's and not a promotion? It's so easy to get a promotion to management at mcD's almost anyone can do it (seriously). No abillity go go elsewhere over that time, even to a Wal-Mart of other job that may have better match for whatever skills he has?

    Look, I'm not a heartless man, I feel for people struggling. But my Father came here with nothing, less than nothing, and like oen of them above, with kids and wife (nonworking) in tow. He worked three-four jobs, he gained skills, he got promoted or he moved on to get promoted. He worked hard, and he went from nothing to an executive. All it took was hard work (not even skilled hard work for the most part, my father was mostly uneducated).

    I don't see that kind of immigrants-effort in these folks....I see a pity party and an expectation that they are owed more simply because. That they should be paid more because they made bad decisions, or because they want to go to school (again admirable goal, but...) or because....I don't even know.

    Also, why no mention of public aid/support. At these levels of income, most would (I believe) qualify for a number fo public aid programs that would defray some of their costs? Why no mention, are they not on them? have they not persued them? Does the story roll better if CNN pretends they're not getting that aid when they are? What is it?

    So tell me, am I heartless, or should we simply be expecting more from these folks, better decisions, more responsabillity?

    Or is it as the story clearly wants to say....McDonalds (and all over min. wage jobs) should pay enough to a 20-25 hour a week worker for them to live comfortably and pay all their bills, including unnessesary ones they could work around with sacrifice?

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,137
    McDonalds is not supposed to be a career. It is a stepping stone.

    I am sure these people in the article are getting aid. I know people in Nassau that work and DSS still pays all of their utilities for them. Even TV/internet.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    So tell me, am I heartless, or should we simply be expecting more from these folks, better decisions, more responsabillity?
    Can't it be both?

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,169
    Look, I'm not a heartless man, I feel for people struggling. But my Father came here with nothing, less than nothing, and like oen of them above, with kids and wife (nonworking) in tow. He worked three-four jobs, he gained skills, he got promoted or he moved on to get promoted. He worked hard, and he went from nothing to an executive. All it took was hard work (not even skilled hard work for the most part, my father was mostly uneducated).

    I don't see that kind of immigrants-effort in these folks....I see a pity party and an expectation that they are owed more simply because. That they should be paid more because they made bad decisions, or because they want to go to school (again admirable goal, but...) or because....I don't even know.

    Also, why no mention of public aid/support. At these levels of income, most would (I believe) qualify for a number fo public aid programs that would defray some of their costs? Why no mention, are they not on them? have they not persued them? Does the story roll better if CNN pretends they're not getting that aid when they are? What is it?

    So tell me, am I heartless, or should we simply be expecting more from these folks, better decisions, more responsabillity?
    ________________________

    You're heartless. I wonder if you even have a liver.

    Most of these are based on personal choices, so I agree with you. The last guy may be among the marginally intelligent in our society (you know that bottom half of the bell curve?) that really cannot be expected to rise to managerial stardom. Some people are not equipped to do more than be stockers at Walmart or cooking French fries, or cleaning toilets. Your father is not representative of anything really. He may have been natively smart like you are so lack of education was merely an impediment, not a deal breaker. The idea that if you don't advance you're not trying is pretty idiotic. Many people are lucky to find any employment at all and are just a cut above Social Security Disability.

    The guy in college is not eligible for entitlements. The guy making $12K a year is not likely to be eligible for anything... his income is too high. And anybody that lives at home is assessed at household income not their personal income alone, so that would make them ineligible.

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,963
    I'd pay 3 times more for food at McDonalds if they actually got my order right more than 45% of the time.

    Old people and teenagers don't cut it.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post

    You're heartless. I wonder if you even have a liver.
    My alcoholic early years would disagree......I'd be dead otherwise.

    Most of these are based on personal choices, so I agree with you. The last guy may be among the marginally intelligent in our society (you know that bottom half of the bell curve?) that really cannot be expected to rise to managerial stardom. Some people are not equipped to do more than be stockers at Walmart or cooking French fries, or cleaning toilets.
    Nice to see us have some area of agreement.

    The idea that if you don't advance you're not trying is pretty idiotic. Many people are lucky to find any employment at all and are just a cut above Social Security Disability.
    I can see your point if pure intellectual capacity is an issue (i.e. borderline disabled). Above that.....I just don't know man. It's just not that hard to advance above minimum wage in places like McD and WalMart.

    The guy in college is not eligible for entitlements. The guy making $12K a year is not likely to be eligible for anything... his income is too high.
    I wondered about that, and (if I am reading this right) I have to beg to differ.

    All would qualify (best as I can tell) for SNAP, i.e. Food Stamps.

    http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/applica...ity.htm#income

    Also looks like most, if not all, could qualify for some form of TANF Benefits too.

    http://www.tanfprogram.com/new-york-tanf-eligibility

    And the one in school certainly would qualify for Pell Grants (again, if I am reading this right).

    http://studentaid.ed.gov/eligibility

    And anybody that lives at home is assessed at household income not their personal income alone, so that would make them ineligible.
    Possible, sadly not able to judge from this limited data.

    I would stress that CNN, in order to tell the whole picture, should really have included information on the elligibillity for the various benefits, and if they made use of them.

    The reason I say that is ALOT of people who are elligible simply don't knwo it, or don't make use of it. The reasons are legion I'm sure, but it leads one to a "the problem is not the program, it's people not fully informing themselves and utilizing the program".
    Last edited by Churchill; 07-17-2013 at 08:18 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Can't it be both?
    It can, although you may be suprised how much it would hurt me if it was. I have never seen myself as a heartless man, quite the contrary in the real world. I have many, MANY failings, I assure you.....lack of compassion has never been one.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    My alcoholic early years would disagree......I'd be dead otherwise.



    Nice to see us have some area of agreement.



    I can see your point if pure intellectual capacity is an issue (i.e. borderline disabled). Above that.....I just don't know man. It's just not that hard to advance above minimum wage in places like McD and WalMart.



    I wondered about that, and (if I am reading this right) I have to beg to differ.

    All would qualify (best as I can tell) for SNAP, i.e. Food Stamps.

    http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/applica...ity.htm#income

    Also looks like most, if not all, could qualify for some form of TANF Benefits too.

    http://www.tanfprogram.com/new-york-tanf-eligibility

    And the one in school certainly would qualify for Pell Grants (again, if I am reading this right).

    http://studentaid.ed.gov/eligibility



    Possible, sadly not able to judge from this limited data.

    I would stress that CNN, in order to tell the whole picture, should really have included information on the elligibillity for the various benefits, and if they made use of them.

    The reason I say that is ALOT of people who are elligible simply don't knwo it, or don't make use of it. The reasons are legion I'm sure, but it leads one to a "the problem is not the program, it's people not fully informing themselves and utilizing the program".
    With the exception of a Pell Grant, the rest are based on household income. If you're already working, I'm not sure you can even apply for TANF which is really the old AFDC program (Aid for FAmilies With Dependent Children). Unless we know the income of other members of the household, we can't really determine eligibility. However, there may indeed be benefits/entitlements available. For example, if someone is a veteran or has a disability that has been documented and is chronic, etc. Not saying it's impossible, but if you're in school, that alone would usually exempt you from these programs (except Pell, of course). Anyway, there are lots of people out there who can barely manage to apply for a job much less understand the complexities of applying for TANF or some other benefit. The rules and calculations for Food Stamps makes the 1040 with deductions look easy.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,169
    Here's at least some "data" on poverty and spending on it over several decades. Lots of interesting things here, not the least of which is the fact that the Johnson War on Poverty attacked a problem that was already in decline. Not sure why or how, but that would seem to be the indication. Also, it does appear that poverty among AAs did drop substantially by 1970 or so, then just plateaued and started to cycle. Spending is tricky if it includes medical programs, as costs themselves have skyrocketed. The disparity along racial lines is at least telling, especially the massive difference around 1960. At least that gap has narrowed...

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...n-five-charts/

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    It can, although you may be suprised how much it would hurt me if it was. I have never seen myself as a heartless man, quite the contrary in the real world. I have many, MANY failings, I assure you.....lack of compassion has never been one.
    I have no doubt.

  11. #11
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    http://money.cnn.com/gallery/news/ec...html?hpt=hp_c3

    Typical article about minimum wage jobs.

    Ignores the fact that minimum wage food jobs are not intended to be careers because they can easily be filled by teens and part timers. McDonalds has no moral imperative to raise costs so someone can make flinging burgers a comfortable career.

    Worse, the article gives four "real" cases of why mcDonalds is evil by giving four examples of real employees budgets.

    Lets take a look at how flawed this argument really truly is:



    So, #1 is a part-timer in college. Well, first off it's his chocie to go to school despite not being able to afford it, nor (apparently) having any family support to allow him to defry costs (perhaps his Mother should not charge him $250 a month in rent if he's so desperate?)

    While it's admirable to go to college, it's not a right. if you can't afford it, you work till you can (like I did and like many folks do). You work your ass off, get a better job, then go to school, when you can afford it and (often) when your better job will help with education. Also, doesn't mention fi this person tried to get mcDonalds to help with Education (they do if the employee has a future as a Manager).

    Solution: Hold off on school, work to better his job (either up in McDonalds, or elsewhere), work 40 hour full time job (or two part-time's to get 40), then take one class a semester or more once he can afford it.



    So, #2 has two kids. Two. And his best job option is working at McDonalds?

    My first quiestion is wtf did he choose to have two kids when he cannot even afford to manage his own upkeep?

    My second question is "why pay for haircuts when a trimmer is a one-time cost and cutting ones own hair short is very very easy".

    My third question.....charter school with no bus? How about public school?



    So he pays child support to his baby momma......and we're supposed to feel bad for him? $210 a month on phone and TV (drop the TV then).

    $415 a month isn't even what the 25 hour a weekk guy makes, meaning this guy isn't even working a 25 hr/wk job and has no second job.

    Um, get off your butt and work maybe? I havn't worked less that 40 hours a week since I was 17.



    Of them all, this one I feel for, because clearly if he's still at McDonalds 21 years later, not a Manager, and with no abillity to change jobs for better, he must be seriously lacking in skills. And that sucks. I can't even fathom it.

    He's working two jobs, trying hard, I get it.....but seriously, 21 years at McD's and not a promotion? It's so easy to get a promotion to management at mcD's almost anyone can do it (seriously). No abillity go go elsewhere over that time, even to a Wal-Mart of other job that may have better match for whatever skills he has?

    Look, I'm not a heartless man, I feel for people struggling. But my Father came here with nothing, less than nothing, and like oen of them above, with kids and wife (nonworking) in tow. He worked three-four jobs, he gained skills, he got promoted or he moved on to get promoted. He worked hard, and he went from nothing to an executive. All it took was hard work (not even skilled hard work for the most part, my father was mostly uneducated).

    I don't see that kind of immigrants-effort in these folks....I see a pity party and an expectation that they are owed more simply because. That they should be paid more because they made bad decisions, or because they want to go to school (again admirable goal, but...) or because....I don't even know.

    Also, why no mention of public aid/support. At these levels of income, most would (I believe) qualify for a number fo public aid programs that would defray some of their costs? Why no mention, are they not on them? have they not persued them? Does the story roll better if CNN pretends they're not getting that aid when they are? What is it?

    So tell me, am I heartless, or should we simply be expecting more from these folks, better decisions, more responsabillity?

    Or is it as the story clearly wants to say....McDonalds (and all over min. wage jobs) should pay enough to a 20-25 hour a week worker for them to live comfortably and pay all their bills, including unnessesary ones they could work around with sacrifice?
    Typical latent, lib... hand-wringing racism; Assumes these guys are helpless dolts from a race of similalrly ill-equipped victims of society....whilst making themselves feel good that they understand how these guys are being screwed..by having jobs.

    Nothing new...and a reason why the racial divide in this country will never be closed.

    The disease of liberalism and its false, self-serving premise.

    -

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,169
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Typical latent, lib... hand-wringing racism; Assumes these guys are helpless dolts from a race of similalrly ill-equipped victims of society....whilst making themselves feel good that they understand how these guys are being screwed..by having jobs.

    Nothing new...and a reason why the racial divide in this country will never be closed.

    The disease of liberalism and its false, self-serving premise.

    -
    Since you're a brilliant conservative whose most ingenious offering is the same exact line in almost every thread (i.e., "lib... hand-wringing racism, etc. etc.) tell us what you think of the basic point of the article... that MacDonalds' generic budget is completely ridiculous. I would love our conservative geniuses to show me where I can get health insurance for $20 a month. Or transport myself to and from a job or anywhere else for free! And of course work 16 hours a day at two jobs that I've traveled to on my magic carpet to bring in $2000 a month. Or pay $90 for my utilities. Try that in most places and you won't be ever using an air conditioner in summer or a heater in winter (Oh, MacDonalds' doesn't allow heating... you get $0 for that). And then there's the matter of payroll taxes. Of course after our clever employee pays his rent on his miserable ghetto apartment at $600/month he will still be able to save $100. Of course he's naked, has no furniture, can't take a shower, and can only eat scraps at MacDonalds. I could go on, but I'm waiting to be schooled by my betters on how that budget measures with any reality at all...

    Winny wants our fine fellows to embrace entitlements, even though he wants to get rid of them in a different thread and create food warehouses for our stalwart employees to trudge to on their magic carpet so they can pick up some brown rice and broccoli.

    And we won't even discuss the current unemployment rate among black males, making the suggestion that they carry TWO jobs much less ANY job a bit of a challenge.
    Last edited by long island leprechaun; 07-18-2013 at 06:51 AM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    tell us what you think of the basic point of the article... that MacDonalds' generic budget is completely ridiculous.
    It's generic.

    The example data wasn't supposed to be acurate for a select few part-time minimum wage earners. It's also a free tool McDonalds provided to try an dhelp it's employees budget better (a massive problem, I assure you, in the poor).

    I would love our conservative geniuses to show me where I can get health insurance for $20 a month.
    Obamacare?

    Or transport myself to and from a job or anywhere else for free!
    Your legs. It's what my brother does for his fast food job.

    And of course work 16 hours a day at two jobs that I've traveled to on my magic carpet to bring in $2000 a month.
    Two cited in the article are working 25 hours a week or less.

    Or pay $90 for my utilities.
    Thats about what I pay in VA. Just can't leave the AC on all day long in the summer.

    And then there's the matter of payroll taxes.
    Already taken out in the example budget, first line is net income, not gross.

    I'm waiting to be schooled by my betters on how that budget measures with any reality at all...
    Instead of fury, how about solutions to the problem as you see it.

    For example, the article is clearly asligned with the current broo-ha-ha in DC over Wal-Mart and a "living wage". So from that, should McDonalds be forced by Law to pay enough to a 25 hour a week employee to cover all basic neccessities of life, all the things you are lamenting above?

    If not, what is your solution to this apparent sad state of affairs, since spending less, being more responsible in their decison making, and working more hours or a second job (or a third) appear to be out?

    Winny wants our fine fellows to embrace entitlements, even though he wants to get rid of them in a different thread and create food warehouses for our stalwart employees to trudge to on their magic carpet so they can pick up some brown rice and broccoli.
    Yes, and yes.

    I want those who are poor to get the help they qualify for (we disagree on how much these folsk would get, I say alot, you say no because of their non-described households massive income apparently). So yes, I want them to get their aid to help them improve and help them get off that aid.

    And yes, I want some aid, like food, housing, etc, to be non-monetary and non-transferable. I.e. direct aid, food for the hungry, shelter for the homeless, clothes for the...er....naked. I believe such a system is far better suited to aid the needy with minimum of waste and abuse.

    I am not against aid. I am against waste, fraud and a system that does not at all times work to get the reciient off the aid and working for themselves prodctively.

    And we won't even discuss the current unemployment rate among black males, making the suggestion that they carry TWO jobs much less ANY job a bit of a challenge.
    Jobs exist, people choose not to do them. As mentioned elsewhere, Stossel went to an unemployment office, spoke with a few folsk who were getting their checks....then walked round a few block radius of that office and found, literally, dozens of available jobs, most not requiring any specific edcation or skills. It is simply more profitable to get the aid (so it's hard to fault the individuals, isn't it?) Thats a systemic issue.
    Last edited by Churchill; 07-18-2013 at 09:00 AM.

  14. #14
    hey, I'm happy to see AAs actually working!

    Most of them don't AMIRITE?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    hey, I'm happy to see AAs actually working!

    Most of them don't AMIRITE?
    No. 80%+ work.

    Generally, when you hear criticism, it's aimed at some portion of that 20% who do not/are not. And IMO generally speaking, that criticism is not limited to AA's, it's to all who do the things being criticised (i.e. spawn a brood of kids they cannot afford then milk the system for aid).

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,531
    $40 per month for contact lenses? Seems vain to me - just wear glasses, and not designer frames either.

    I worked 50 hour weeks at a printing business to put myself through college and still finished magna cum laude. I sacrificed plenty.

    Another question to ask: is flipping burger at Mickey D's really worth more than what these guys are getting paid? Sure, in Utopia, we could pay them $60k/yr for that, but then a burger would cost $15. On the flip side (pun intended), why not pay me $500k for what I do?

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,277
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    $40 per month for contact lenses? Seems vain to me - just wear glasses, and not designer frames either.

    I worked 50 hour weeks at a printing business to put myself through college and still finished magna cum laude. I sacrificed plenty.

    Another question to ask: is flipping burger at Mickey D's really worth more than what these guys are getting paid? Sure, in Utopia, we could pay them $60k/yr for that, but then a burger would cost $15. On the flip side (pun intended), why not pay me $500k for what I do?
    That is one of the problems of increasing minimum wage. It raises the whole scale via inflation so that the new "minimum" has effectively the same buying power.

    Government programs such as Obamacare are forcing companies to reduce people to part time to avoid Obamacare mandates. Companies have to stay profitable. If you raise the minimum wage there will be either less jobs or ridiculous inflation.

    I love how these case studies show the "poor" paying $100 or $200 for phone and cable. How about going with a basic plan for both at most? Also like you said glasses last a long time, why get a reoccurring fee for contacts when you don't have money.

    In answer to the snarky comment from lil about free transportation walk or use a week's transportation money to buy a nice bike that will serve you 80% of the time (assuming they can take the bus during bad weather).

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    In answer to the snarky comment from lil about free transportation walk or use a week's transportation money to buy a nice bike that will serve you 80% of the time (assuming they can take the bus during bad weather).
    This would also help cut down on the obesity problem, too, and help lower health care costs all around. And also help the environment. Certainly LIL would agree with this.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    $40 per month for contact lenses? Seems vain to me - just wear glasses, and not designer frames either.
    Agreed, another good example.

    Another question to ask: is flipping burger at Mickey D's really worth more than what these guys are getting paid? Sure, in Utopia, we could pay them $60k/yr for that, but then a burger would cost $15. On the flip side (pun intended), why not pay me $500k for what I do?
    Well, logicly speaking, if the marketplace suddenly made minimum wage be $60,000/year, someone already making $60,000/year to do more difficult or more education-reliant work, will not simply sit back and go "good for them".

    He or she will say to their bosses "$60 no longer cuts it, I can make that at McDonalds for working 25 hours a week......I demand $160,000".

    Riasing the minimum wage to inflate (artificially IMO) the value of low-skill, low-education, low-intelligence-required entry-level service work will act as a rising tide, raising all labor costs across the board, and thus increasing the costs of all things accross the board, thus eliminating the benefit of having riased the minimumw age for those entry-level folks in the first place. When rent suddenly rises from $900/month to $3,000 a month to reflect the new economic reality of $60K a year McDonalds part-timers, that part timer is right back where he started....poor.

    The answer is not inflation. The answer is education, hard work, sacrifice and aquiring skills and experience you can turn into something more than an entry-level burger job.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I worked 50 hour weeks at a printing business to put myself through college and still finished magna cum laude. I sacrificed plenty.
    What year was this?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us