Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets 2013 rookie class, best ever?

Jets 2013 rookie class, best ever?

The only other one I can think of was 2000, with Ellis, Abraham, Pennington and Coles. We got 5 starters out of that one, but I think this class might beat it.

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/07/tur...ookie-edition/

As the article suggests, that hinges completely on Geno.

Unless Milliner and Richardson before first-team all-pros at their position, don't see how this group beats the 2000 haul unless Geno becomes a franchise-caliber QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    The only other one I can think of was 2000, with Ellis, Abraham, Pennington and Coles. We got 5 starters out of that one, but I think this class might beat it.

1977 was pretty good with Marvin Powell,Wesley Walker,Joe Klecko,Scott Dierking,Dan Alexander,Matt Robinson and Kevin Long..

Oops, forgot Becht. Too bad Windrell "Scissors" Hayes didn't pan out.

lets see how they play when the lights come on first.

What the hell? Why do people always ask this question every year? Makes no goddamn sense.

1) It takes at minimum 3 yrs to judge a draft class, regardless of position. (Perfect example: Mark Sanchez...years one and two, he was a success due to the team's success, but after three years, everyone bailed on him)

2) I'm too young to know about any draft class before 1998, but I would take 07 over 00. The only legit players in 00 were Ellis and Abraham...and neither helped us achieve anything significant, and abraham never played for us when we needed him, and got dealt. And Pennington...please! If he had any skill in him at all, we would have beaten Pitt in 04. Obviously OBrien missed the kicks, but Pennington's offense accounted for 0 of our points that day.

07- Revis, Harris, and DeVito...three cornerstones of each level of our #1 and #3 ranked defenses that led us to two consecutive title games.

A little early on this, no?

Last year I was convinced after the draft it would be the best in our history. A top ten talent fell to #16. We got a first round wr talent in the 2nd. A speedy Ray Lewis type (albeit a nutjob homophobe) middle linebacker in the 3rd. Our later rounds consisted of steals like gaudy stats Ganaway, the other Robert Griffin, and big SEC safety Antonio Allen.

Jury is still deliberating on last year's class but it's likely going to be nowhere near as successful as I'd hoped. Let's afford this year's class a little time to show us things on the field.

this draft class is going to save Rex's job.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    1) It takes at minimum 3 yrs to judge a draft class, regardless of position. (Perfect example: Mark Sanchez...years one and two, he was a success due to the team's success, but after three years, everyone bailed on him)

2) I'm too young to know about any draft class before 1998, but I would take 07 over 00. The only legit players in 00 were Ellis and Abraham...and neither helped us achieve anything significant, and abraham never played for us when we needed him, and got dealt. And Pennington...please! If he had any skill in him at all, we would have beaten Pitt in 04. Obviously OBrien missed the kicks, but Pennington's offense accounted for 0 of our points that day.

07- Revis, Harris, and DeVito...three cornerstones of each level of our #1 and #3 ranked defenses that led us to two consecutive title games.
    Agree with 1), this thread is premature.

On 2), fair point, but I think you're selling Pennington to Coles a little short. That was such a good combination in 02. Coles caught 83 passes from Pennington in 13 games...he might have gone for 100 that year had Chad played the whole season. Plus he was the perfect intermediate receiver for a weak-armed QB.

Had Coles been on the '04 team, it might not have come down to the Brien field goals.

who cares if at the end of this season they'll finish with a losing record.

I'll let you know in a couple years

Jets Insider VIP
    Moron-o Valley is certain of that based on his extensive 19 post career of trolling here

Agreed.

Jets crush the off season once again.

And we don't need any actual games to know it.

Hard to compare really. I tough last years was one of the best we ever saw. Coples to me was a stone cold lock to be a stud pro bowl player. I like Rich and Milliner but I dont think either will make the impact that Coples will. Coples to me was Mario Williams good. Hill was a 1st rounder on most boards that was a great value pick at a need position. He will do a lot for this O IMO. If we get the most out of him he has top 10 WR ability. Davis is going to be our starter and at least one of the 2 Ss we picked will also start.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Hard to compare really. I tough last years was one of the best we ever saw. Coples to me was a stone cold lock to be a stud pro bowl player. I like Rich and Milliner but I dont think either will make the impact that Coples will. Coples to me was Mario Williams good. Hill was a 1st rounder on most boards that was a great value pick at a need position. He will do a lot for this O IMO. If we get the most out of him he has top 10 WR ability. Davis is going to be our starter and at least one of the 2 Ss we picked will also start.
    Keep in mind we traded up for Hill. Given the price, hard to call him a "value pick". I do agree he could have gone late first.

If Rex had played Coples more last year, especially on the inside, he could have easily had ten sacks. I'm worried that playing him on the outside won't yield the same results, as we saw him relatively ineffective there last year.

Davis might be our starter but that's more about our poor ILB options than the skill Davis has shown. Hopeful for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Keep in mind we traded up for Hill. Given the price, hard to call him a "value pick". I do agree he could have gone late first.

If Rex had played Coples more last year, especially on the inside, he could have easily had ten sacks. I'm worried that playing him on the outside won't yield the same results, as we saw him relatively ineffective there last year.

Davis might be our starter but that's more about our poor ILB options than the skill Davis has shown. Hopeful for improvement.
    I thought Coples would have been better at OLB when we drafted him. He has the speed and moves to make it work. His biggest issue last year was when doubled vs the run holes where made. In that I think Rich will improve vs the run and Coples will still get his edge rush in. We can play him offset with his hands in the dirt if Rex feels he cant play standing. I really dont think it will be an issue. He just need to push off the right foot on a standing block. At times yeah he will be taken off balance.

Trading up for Hill wasnt the killer. It was a good move given the ability he shows. Trading for Tebow was the killer in that draft. Add anther 4th rounder to that draft and just look at what we could have added to that haul. Names like Ladarius Green, Massie, Jarius Wright, Crick, Toon, and Rondell Lewis would have all been good additions to this team in the 4th. Add anyone of those guys to that draft and it would have been pretty hard to beat IMO. It was a really strong draft either way though.

They're the absolute best jets draft class that has never played a down

Hall Of Fame
    Right up there with the 2009 and 2010 drafts.

To be fair, there have been many Jets draft classes that peaked prior to playing a down.

More seriously, 1977, 2000 and 2006 are the three that ought to be in the conversation.