Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making the Leap: Chris Ivory of the NY Jets

Hey, I thought running backs were required to run head first into the nearest defender... Like Greene always did. Is it legal to avoid them like that?

Hall Of Fame
    I'm pretty excited about the potential of our backfield as a whole. But their job is not going to be easy. We need our QB to command the respect of the opposing defense b.c if their are 8 in the box I don't think it matters who is carrying the ball. We are also going to be breaking in some new OL.

If Ivory breaks off one of those "beast mode" runs he will become an instant fan favorite. It is going to be nice watching a RB that can outrun the defense.

All League
    I think he is the real deal. He was simply buried on the roster at New Orleans. I am excited to see what he can do for us.

If Geno is close to Sanchez in the Pre-Season, he should start. The new RB situation should help immensely. I don't know how much the NY Jets can trust Sanchez, with a WR corps that is suspect at best

Call me a cynic, I'll believe int he Jets backfield when they show me, not tell me, how great they are.

Too many hype-fails back there of late. And these two new guys have all the makings of two more. So show me.
    Last edited by Churchill; 07-19-2013 at 11:24 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Call me a cycnic, I'll believe int he Jets backfield when they show me, not tell me, how great they are.

Too many hype-fails back there of late. And these two new guys have all the makings of two more. So show me.
    Ok...LOL you cycnic

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Whatever happened to copy & paste? That link suckz dude, don't be so lazy next time

Making the Leap, No. 13: New York Jets RB Chris Ivory124 By Chris Wesseling
    Around the League Writer

Published: July 18, 2013 at 05:25 p.m. Updated: July 18, 2013 at 08:59 p.m.

Friend(s) Email

Around The League will profile the top 40 players we see Making the Leap in 2013. No. 13 on the list: New York Jets running back Chris Ivory.

Why Ivory is on the list

It's no coincidence that Ivory was acquired by Jets general manager John Idzik, a former Seattle Seahawks executive, in an April trade. The player Ivory most resembles is ferocious Seahawks tackle breaker Marshawn Lynch. Ivory is one of the rare backs capable of making the first defender miss, and if the defender doesn't miss, he has shown the ability to run over them.

The video below shows an explosive Ivory going "Beast Mode" on a 56-yard touchdown run reminiscent of Lynch's thundering 67-yard run in the playoff upset of the New Orleans Saints. Longtime beat writer Jeff Duncan called Ivory's run the best by a Saints back in all of his years covering the team.

Jets coach Rex Ryan described Ivory in offseason practices as a player who is "not going to shine until you put the pads on." It's an indication of Ryan's affinity and Ivory's physicality. For a hard-charging runner, though, Ivory is deceptively elusive, thanks to his impressive lower-body explosion. He's just one of a handful of active running backs with a career per-carry average over 5.0 yards, thanks to his ability to shoot through a hole and outrace defenders to the end zone.

Ivory arrives in New York with fresh legs after being underutilized in the Saints' pass-happy offense for the past three seasons. The Jets are expected to install Ivory as their starter, which means an opportunity to double his previous career-high of 137 carries in 2010.

Obstacles

Now that he's no longer buried on a depth chart, Ivory has few obstacles keeping him from success. He did show a disturbing tendency to fumble in New Orleans and often was an afterthought in the Saints' passing game. Although Ivory can make defenders miss after the catch at times, he looked unnatural in the passing game.

Ivory's punishing style lends itself to injuries. While Lynch has managed to stay relatively healthy under heavy workloads, Ivory has missed time with knee, foot, hamstring, groin, shoulder and concussion issues. His penchant for getting nicked up was one of the reasons the Saints were reluctant to saddle him up for 15 to 20 carries per game.

2013 expectations

Considering the question marks at quarterback and wide receiver, the Jets figure to lean heavily on the ground attack this season. The offensive line's strength also is in the running game. It helps that Marty Mornhinweg's offenses have ranked in the top 10 in yards-per-carry average eight times in his 13 seasons as an NFL head coach or offensive coordinator.

Ivory is the heavy favorite to enter the season as the featured back, as well as the offense's most explosive playmaker. If he stays healthy for all 16 games, Ivory has Pro Bowl potential. That's a big "if," though. Ivory's violent running style is what makes him one of the league's most effective per-play backs, but it's also the reason why he's often found standing on the sideline watching another ballcarrier.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-19-2013 at 12:06 PM.

will be nice to have RB's who can take a hand off or pass and take it to the house. haven't had that in a long time

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    Ok...LOL you cycnic
    He's definitely cycnical - everyday he's kicking some Sacred Cow around.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Huge upgrade over Greene. If he stays healthy he could have a really good season

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Huge upgrade over Greene. If he stays healthy he could have a really good season
    Health and holding on to the football.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

And that is exciting

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Love this kid!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I'm pretty excited about the potential of our backfield as a whole. But their job is not going to be easy. We need our QB to command the respect of the opposing defense b.c if their are 8 in the box I don't think it matters who is carrying the ball. We are also going to be breaking in some new OL.

If Ivory breaks off one of those "beast mode" runs he will become an instant fan favorite. It is going to be nice watching a RB that can outrun the defense.
    Greene was like that as a rookie. What happened to him?

50-748 45-688 38-396 29-366

Those are the catch and yardage totals for the Seahawks offense last year, a year in which they absolutely had subpar (at best) TE play.

Looking at their 2012 roster (and I use the Seahawks as an example as that lynch is who Ivory is often compared to, that they had a suspect WR corps, and a rookie QB):

Kerley is arguably more talented then any of their WRs (Sideny Rice, Golden Tate, etc) and had more catches than any of the above, playing in our Highschool offense with a QB who completed under 60% of his passes.

Hill should be able to come in at around 40 catches (I hope more but even at 40 thats averaging under 3 a game).

In a worst case scenario, Holmes misses the first 5 games, and catches 3-4 balls per in the last 11 for 40 catches.

Winslow, if healthy is good for 50 and if he isnt the other below avg TEs should be able to combine for 35+ total.

My point is - that offense had enough room for lynch to run and to put up points, without a 80 reception player, without a 1000 yard WR and without a stud TE who could block or even catch well.

The one thing that I would do if I was the OC and Geno wins the job would be to install a few spread plays right from his WVA playbook. We have the small, quick WRs he is used too in Kerley, (hopefully holmes), goodson and even mcknight or zach rogers. Why not get all our speed on the field, with Ivory as the one RB and run some bubble screens, and quick slant plays to get goodson mcknight and kerley in space.

Not only would it make the best use of our personnel, but it would help geno be more comfortable since they are plays he already knows - just a thought.

Banned
    fragile.... IR by game 6.

Ivory has missed time with knee, foot, hamstring, groin, shoulder and concussion issues. His penchant for getting nicked up was one of the reasons the Saints were reluctant to saddle him up for 15 to 20 carries per game.
    Well I guess the law of averages is on our side.

"he looked unnatural in the passing game"

What exactly does that mean? He ran routes like a zombie? What?