Thread: Latest developments in IRS scandal: It came from political appointee

Hall Of Fame

Latest developments in IRS scandal: It came from political appointee

When the scandal broke two months ago, in May, IRS leadership in Washington claimed the harassment of tea-party and other conservative groups requesting tax-exempt status was confined to the Cincinnati office, where a few rogue workers bungled the application process. Lois Lerner, then the head of the exempt organizations unit in Washington, said "line people in Cincinnati" did work that was "not so fine." They asked questions that "weren't really necessary," she claimed, and operated without "the appropriate level of sensitivity." But the targeting was "not intentional." Ousted acting commissioner Steven Miller also put it off on "people in Cincinnati." They provided "horrible customer service."

House investigators soon talked to workers in the Cincinnati office, who said everything they did came from Washington. Elizabeth Hofacre, in charge of processing tea-party applications in Cincinnati, told investigators that her work was overseen and directed by a lawyer in the IRS Washington office named Carter Hull.
    Now comes Mr. Hull's testimony. And like Ms. Hofacre, he pointed his finger upward. Mr. Hull—a 48-year IRS veteran and an expert on tax exemption law—told investigators that tea-party applications under his review were sent upstairs within the Washington office, at the direction of Lois Lerner.
    In April 2010, Hull was assigned to scrutinize certain tea-party applications. He requested more information from the groups. After he received responses, he felt he knew enough to determine whether the applications should be approved or denied.
    But his recommendations were not carried out.
    Michael Seto, head of Mr. Hull's unit, also spoke to investigators. He told them Lois Lerner made an unusual decision: Tea-party applications would undergo additional scrutiny—a multilayered review.
    Mr. Hull told House investigators that at some point in the winter of 2010-11, Ms. Lerner's senior adviser, whose name is withheld in the publicly released partial interview transcript, told him the applications would require further review:
    Q: "Did [the senior adviser to Ms. Lerner] indicate to you whether she agreed with your recommendations?"
    A: "She did not say whether she agreed or not. She said it should go to chief counsel."
    Q: "The IRS chief counsel?"
    A: "The IRS chief counsel."
    The IRS chief counsel is named William Wilkins. And again, he is one of only two Obama political appointees in the IRS.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...pinion_LEADTop

I know it's not at the societal importance of the Martin/Zimmerman trial, but thought this was worth noting

Hall Of Fame
    Yea but the JD is busy investigating a civil right rights violation and the media (outside of FOX) doesn't care anymore.

Hall Of Fame
    I suddenly feel the need to loot the nearest Walmart and get some sneakers and flat screen TVs.

I officially call upon the United Nations to investigate the IRS!

It's not shocking that the woman that pled the 5th was one of the culprits here. What is interesting is that Democrat Elijah Cummings declared this a case closed weeks ago claiming that a conservative republican was to blame. You cant make this stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...pinion_LEADTop

I know it's not at the societal importance of the Martin/Zimmerman trial, but thought this was worth noting
    The IRS story is dead. Like the various other scandals under this administration, the public has moved on and been enraptured by other more glamorous issues, and stopped caring when the investigation became the same old this side vs. that side boredom.

So what if the Administration may have actually partially stolen an election via use of the IRS to blunt the (at the time) largest growing political force around. Whats on the "View" today, is it about Martin?

Hall Of Fame
    I can't wait to see the list of Tea Party charities who were denied.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Not denied. If they were denied it would have been better bc they could have reapplied. They were forced to jump through hoops and placed in limbo. Clever yet sinister strategy that essentially put their applications on ice.

Hall Of Fame
    CR - lets be clear about this:

A political appointee in a federal agency instructs the agency to apply heightened scrutiny to applicants from the opposing political party . . .

That's OK by you?

Hall Of Fame
    CR - lets be clear about this:

A political appointee in a federal agency instructs the agency to apply heightened scrutiny to applicants from the opposing political party . . .

That's OK by you?
    I'm not ok with the IRS f'ing up everything they touch, if they simply followed the law as it was written none of the BS political groups would be eligible to be a tax free charity. IRS f'd the pooch and they are a absolute joke of an agency.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm not ok with the IRS f'ing up everything they touch, if they simply followed the law as it was written none of the BS political groups would be eligible to be a tax free charity. IRS f'd the pooch and they are a absolute joke of an agency.
    So in what way is the list of "denied" applicants relevant?

Hall Of Fame
    So in what way is the list of "denied" applicants relevant?
    Because the only reason this is still going on is because Issa is as incompetent as the IRS. Chief Counsel in the majority of federal agencies are pretty liberal and break balls, I honestly do not think the IRS was looking at this as a political thing but more of a why are all of these groups wanting tax free status? The IRS functions from DC ie the top down and yet none of them ever want to take the hit when something goes wrong, but boy oh boy they are front and center when everything works out.

The IRS interpreted the law in their own way and created this mess.

I honestly do not think the IRS was looking at this as a political thing.
    Scarborough is dead on.

George Zimmerman is a racist idiot who chased an unarmed teenager through a neighborhood for little reason more than he was a black man wearing a hoodie.
    So just to be clear, Zimmerman was purely about race, and the IRS issue was purely NOT about politics.

Got it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    So just to be clear, Zimmerman was purely about race, and the IRS issue was purely NOT about politics.

Got it.
    You can cherry pick all you want Fish. Thank you for not making it your typical paragraph response.

Thank you for not making it your typical paragraph response.
    Your contribution here, such that it is, is rarely worth such an effort.

And it's not cherry picking, it's your quotes on the two topics.

You're welcome though.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Your contribution here, such that it is, is rarely worth such an effort.

And it's not cherry picking, it's your quotes on the two topics.

You're welcome though.
    You quoted my quote from Joe Scarborough. I usually pretend their all mine, that's my thing.