Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 173

Thread: Why Rex Should Stay

  1. #101
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,002
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    and when he quit the Jets due to the personnel control issues and Rex.
    And besides your mind I can find that where??

  2. #102
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    And besides your mind I can find that where??
    believe what you want Savage. You're a good Jet fan as am I since the 1960's. When Klinksdale left there were a series of interviews and quotes from him and anyone with half a brain could read between the lines that he was extremely frustrated with the personnel decision process on the Jets and that advice of the scouts (including Bradway FWIW) were being ignored. Basically, the feeling was that someone Rex overriding sound advice that he was getting.

    I have not a single doubt that Woody gave Rex way too much control for such a fledgling coach due to his success in the first 2 years where chips fell into place for the jJets with opponents at the end of the season. Coaches with such levels of control usually have been doing their jobs for a very long time. It was a mistake then, and it's a mistake now.

  3. #103
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,002
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    believe what you want Savage. You're a good Jet fan as am I since the 1960's. When Klinksdale left there were a series of interviews and quotes from him and anyone with half a brain could read between the lines that he was extremely frustrated with the personnel decision process on the Jets and that advice of the scouts (including Bradway FWIW) were being ignored. Basically, the feeling was that someone Rex overriding sound advice that he was getting.

    I have not a single doubt that Woody gave Rex way too much control for such a fledgling coach due to his success in the first 2 years where chips fell into place for the jJets with opponents at the end of the season. Coaches with such levels of control usually have been doing their jobs for a very long time. It was a mistake then, and it's a mistake now.
    Any frustration could have been Tanny or Woody you just want to blame Rex..
    I was frustated they didn't draft Wilson as was Bradway..

  4. #104
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,572
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Coughlin was almost fired by the Giants and had the players pissed because he was too strict.. Tomlin took over a team that won the Bowl 2 years prior. I do like the Harbaugh bros..Winning cures many things but I do agree Rex needs to be a more complete HC.. BB became that when Brady took over the year before he was 5-11..
    You are right about Coughlin but he adapted and that is something Rex has yet to prove that he can do. I agree about Tomlin taking over a good team but so did Rex IMO. 8-3 in 2008 before Favre got hurt. You will never see me underestimate the value of a great QB and how having one can cure a lot of ills. Brady is essential to Belichick's legacy.

  5. #105
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Any frustration could have been Tanny or Woody you just want to blame Rex..
    I was frustated they didn't draft Wilson as was Bradway..
    I agree - theres no reason to blame rex for the fact that Tanny let him have such an influence. Rex was never given control over personnel - its simply not part of his job title. If Tanny wasnt strong enough to stand up to him or smart enough to listen to his scouts and especially bradway who seems to be a good judge of talent, then thats his fault and why he is no longer in the league.

    Rex shouldnt be blamed for that.

  6. #106
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,002
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You are right about Coughlin but he adapted and that is something Rex has yet to prove that he can do. I agree about Tomlin taking over a good team but so did Rex IMO. 8-3 in 2008 before Favre got hurt. You will never see me underestimate the value of a great QB and how having one can cure a lot of ills. Brady is essential to Belichick's legacy.
    Coughlin had 8 years under his belt when he came to the Giants.. Rex took over a team without a QB granted they rolled the dice with Sanchez but not everyone gets a winner on the first try.. Rex must adapt to be a complete HC but I got to admit he does make press conference's fun..

  7. #107
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Seriously? Rex was pretty involved in building the roster the last 4 years. He was all in favor of drafting Sanchez, wanted Holmes and was in favor of signing him as a FA, he was bragging on Hard Knocks about Connor being HIS "hand picked FB". Not sure how anyone could get the impression that Rex didnt have a huge hand in the roster the last 4 years. I guess now that Tanny is gone he will shoulder the blame, but to say Rex wasnt also responsible for the roster the last 4 years is simply wrong.
    It was mentioned publicly (by Tanny himself, I believe) that Rex was allowed one low-level draft pick a year to pick a player he was excited about. One year it was Connor, and another year it was thought to be Bilal Powell (both offensive players, by the way). If Rex was, in fact, allowed one pick each draft, it kind of implies that someone else was pulling the trigger on all of the others, no?

  8. #108
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You are right about Coughlin but he adapted and that is something Rex has yet to prove that he can do.
    Coughlin "adapted" about the same time that Eli started playing a little more like his brother and less like Mark Sanchez. It's funny how that works.

  9. #109
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,002
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    It was mentioned publicly (by Tanny himself, I believe) that Rex was allowed one low-level draft pick a year to pick a player he was excited about. One year it was Connor, and another year it was thought to be Bilal Powell (both offensive players, by the way). If Rex was, in fact, allowed one pick each draft, it kind of implies that someone else was pulling the trigger on all of the others, no?
    Plus Rex said he didn't want Hill so they didn't take him.. Wait a minute..

  10. #110
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,745
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    It was mentioned publicly (by Tanny himself, I believe) that Rex was allowed one low-level draft pick a year to pick a player he was excited about. One year it was Connor, and another year it was thought to be Bilal Powell (both offensive players, by the way). If Rex was, in fact, allowed one pick each draft, it kind of implies that someone else was pulling the trigger on all of the others, no?
    I never said Rex was making all the decisions, my argument was in response to someone who said Rex shouldnt be blamed for the roster because he didnt "shop for the groceries". The fact was that Rex had plenty of influence on the personnel decisions the last 4 years, to absolve him of any blame is just wrong.

  11. #111
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,002
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I never said Rex was making all the decisions, my argument was in response to someone who said Rex shouldnt be blamed for the roster because he didnt "shop for the groceries". The fact was that Rex had plenty of influence on the personnel decisions the last 4 years, to absolve him of any blame is just wrong.
    They took more offense in the draft in the last 4 years then defense so your right Rex shouldn't be telling them what O players to draft..

  12. #112
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    928
    Post Thanks / Like
    God, where do you begin, well first post in this thread I have to go with the myth that "Mark is Rex's boy".
    Where are you guys getting this from, sure Rex supported Mark, especially in his first two years. Yet, Rex is not blind, he saw what we all saw and third the year, just confirmed it. Sure they were willing to give Mark a SLIGHT benefit of doubt and allow that maybe he had an off year.
    Yet as I have said many times before on this board, if they were truly sold on Mark there is no way they would have made the play for Payton.
    They brought in Drew Stanton to compete with Mark. Someone who might have really pushed him and out played him. This showed you Rex wanted to have an actual QB to fall back on, not some old man or untested rookie, should Mark do a repeat of the previous year
    Well as we all know, whoever made the decision to bring in Tebow, be it Woody or Tanny,it was not Rex's choice, it threw a wrench into that plan. That decision cost us a solid backup and possible starter when Stanton felt screwed by the Jets and ask to be released, not mentioning all the money it cost the team for services not rendered
    Now Rex being the company man he is,towed the line and said all the right things that was expected of him.
    Rex knew damn well that Tebow would not work in a conventional offense.Then he saw him in practice and those thoughts were confirmed. Tebow was an awful NFL QB,who would only work when running an option offense. Which of course the Jets were not staffed to do and would require trying to change the whole offense on the fly.
    Sad as it is and as much as I and everyone else hate hearing it " Mark Sanchez gave us our best chance at winning". Thinking about it now, that must have gnawed at Rex's gut each time he had to say it. Remember Rex is a company man and there is no better option behind Mark thanks to the stupid Tebow trade.
    Also because Tebow was now a Jet he was taking reps away from GMac the only other QB on the roster who could play in the offense that was in place.
    Speaking of GMac, how much did Rex love Mark that he finally had enough, that he benched him. Unfortunately GMac was nowhere near ready and certainly had nowhere near the amount of reps needed to start.
    Lastly when GMac was knocked out and Mark brought back in, again making the same mistakes, all you had to do was watch Rex's reactions. Rex was
    beyond pissed you could see he was totally feed up with Mark. I honestly believe if the season were longer, Rex would have started Kerley over Mark.
    So now we go into this season and finally we have a backup in Gerrard that although his health was iffy, he was someone who could really challenge Mark and beat him out. An Rex made no bones about it, he was not giving the the job to anyone who did not earn it.
    I expect if Mark starts this season and begins a repeat of the last two years, Rex will bench his a$$ so fast it going to
    Make your heads spin.
    Above all else Rex cares most about winning and he is not going to throw his coaching career down the drain just to give Mark one more chance.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

  13. #113
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    13,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    God, where do you begin, well first post in this thread I have to go with the myth that "Mark is Rex's boy".
    Where are you guys getting this from, sure Rex supported Mark, especially in his first two years. Yet, Rex is not blind, he saw what we all saw and third the year, just confirmed it. Sure they were willing to give Mark a SLIGHT benefit of doubt and allow that maybe he had an off year.
    Yet as I have said many times before on this board, if they were truly sold on Mark there is no way they would have made the play for Payton.
    They brought in Drew Stanton to compete with Mark. Someone who might have really pushed him and out played him. This showed you Rex wanted to have an actual QB to fall back on, not some old man or untested rookie, should Mark do a repeat of the previous year
    Well as we all know, whoever made the decision to bring in Tebow, be it Woody or Tanny,it was not Rex's choice, it threw a wrench into that plan. That decision cost us a solid backup and possible starter when Stanton felt screwed by the Jets and ask to be released, not mentioning all the money it cost the team for services not rendered
    Now Rex being the company man he is,towed the line and said all the right things that was expected of him.
    Rex knew damn well that Tebow would not work in a conventional offense.Then he saw him in practice and those thoughts were confirmed. Tebow was an awful NFL QB,who would only work when running an option offense. Which of course the Jets were not staffed to do and would require trying to change the whole offense on the fly.
    Sad as it is and as much as I and everyone else hate hearing it " Mark Sanchez gave us our best chance at winning". Thinking about it now, that must have gnawed at Rex's gut each time he had to say it. Remember Rex is a company man and there is no better option behind Mark thanks to the stupid Tebow trade.
    Also because Tebow was now a Jet he was taking reps away from GMac the only other QB on the roster who could play in the offense that was in place.
    Speaking of GMac, how much did Rex love Mark that he finally had enough, that he benched him. Unfortunately GMac was nowhere near ready and certainly had nowhere near the amount of reps needed to start.
    Lastly when GMac was knocked out and Mark brought back in, again making the same mistakes, all you had to do was watch Rex's reactions. Rex was
    beyond pissed you could see he was totally feed up with Mark. I honestly believe if the season were longer, Rex would have started Kerley over Mark.
    So now we go into this season and finally we have a backup in Gerrard that although his health was iffy, he was someone who could really challenge Mark and beat him out. An Rex made no bones about it, he was not giving the the job to anyone who did not earn it.
    I expect if Mark starts this season and begins a repeat of the last two years, Rex will bench his a$$ so fast it going to
    Make your heads spin.
    Above all else Rex cares most about winning and he is not going to throw his coaching career down the drain just to give Mark one more chance.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    I see you have eyes!
    Some people around here are completely moronic if they couldn't see that Rex wanted to rip Mark's arms off.

  14. #114
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,572
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    Coughlin "adapted" about the same time that Eli started playing a little more like his brother and less like Mark Sanchez. It's funny how that works.
    Did you finish reading my post? I addressed the importance of a QB. But in fairness to Coughlin I think he changed his ways prior to the season. They developed a leadership council with veteran players and he began listening to the player's grievances. And Eli was awful until late in the season.

  15. #115
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Walla Walla, Wa.
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I dont believe rex is part of Idziks plans. He was kept on to save Woody some cash and to be the sacrificial lamb after this 4-12 season we are about to have.

    Darrell Bevel will be brought in here as HC in 2014. Hes an Idzik guy. Rex is not.
    thanks for the entainterment.

  16. #116
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You are right about Coughlin but he adapted and that is something Rex has yet to prove that he can do. I agree about Tomlin taking over a good team but so did Rex IMO. 8-3 in 2008 before Favre got hurt. You will never see me underestimate the value of a great QB and how having one can cure a lot of ills. Brady is essential to Belichick's legacy.
    How much has he adapted?

    Doesn't mark them late for getting to a meeting only 5 mins early? Other than that, the supposed easing on policies, what is really different? He's the same coach, makes the same decisions, runs the same schemes on both sides of the ball. Win and he adapted, if they made the right call on the Cruz fumble in AZ, the Giants don't make the playoffs, don't make a run and win the SB and Coughlin is long gone. And we hear nothing about him "adapting".

  17. #117
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    and when he quit the Jets due to the personnel control issues and Rex.
    Other than your imaginary window into the inner workings of the Jets, where did you read this?

    Or found a hint of this. As fact, not as in working backwards from your belief that Rex is the anti christ.

  18. #118
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,572
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    How much has he adapted?

    Doesn't mark them late for getting to a meeting only 5 mins early? Other than that, the supposed easing on policies, what is really different? He's the same coach, makes the same decisions, runs the same schemes on both sides of the ball. Win and he adapted, if they made the right call on the Cruz fumble in AZ, the Giants don't make the playoffs, don't make a run and win the SB and Coughlin is long gone. And we hear nothing about him "adapting".
    You might be the only person to feel this way. Even his players acknowledged that he changed his ways and for the better. He was always a good X's and O's coach but he did not have the type of personality that players could relate to and enjoy. He has changed that.

    The adapting goes back to 2007. Long before they had Cruz. Coughlin felt that after 2006 that if he didn't change his ways he would be fired. He has spoken openly about this.

  19. #119
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You might be the only person to feel this way. Even his players acknowledged that he changed his ways and for the better. He was always a good X's and O's coach but he did not have the type of personality that players could relate to and enjoy. He has changed that.

    The adapting goes back to 2007. Long before they had Cruz. Coughlin felt that after 2006 that if he didn't change his ways he would be fired. He has spoken openly about this.
    OK, fine...he's changed. My point is he hasn't changed all that much, he is what he is.

    He was a blown call away from getting fired. Would be a different legacy had he gotten the axe.

  20. #120
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I never said Rex was making all the decisions, my argument was in response to someone who said Rex shouldnt be blamed for the roster because he didnt "shop for the groceries". The fact was that Rex had plenty of influence on the personnel decisions the last 4 years, to absolve him of any blame is just wrong.
    Every single NFL coach has this kind of influence in personnel. Every HC is part of the discussion when it comes to selecting players. Every one of them. If a GM is teetering between 2 players and the HC wants one over the other, all things equal the GM goes along with the HC. How this translates into the way the Jets with Tanny picked players is anyones guess. But the bottom line the GM selected the players. If he took the coaches input, how is it different than taking a scouts? Ultimately its his name on the pick, he gets the credit and the blame. Never heard a GM absolved because he listened to others.

    Some have earned or won even more control, the shop for the groceries role that Parcells, etc can get. Rex is not, hasn't been and we don't know that he wants to be one of those types.

    He doesn't get blamed for the roster, gets given undue influence on the roster just because you who want to blame Rex.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 07-22-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us