Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Why Rex Should Stay

Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    Well, I have to begin with taking a new team with a rookie QB and aging players to, two AFC championship games in his first two seasons. Having a top ten defense in his first four years despite losing key players for the entire season. Having your players both offense and defense play their hearts out for you against the longest odds. Being one of the smartest and most innovative X's and O's coaches in the NFL. An in case you want to bring up the argument that Rex does not know the offensive side of the ball; you can't be as smart about defense, if you don't have a clear understanding of offense.
    Does Rex still have thing to learn and improve on as a HC, of course he does. Yet , there will be no end to the crying here and elsewhere, if we let Rex do his internship here and win a championship for another team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    It was hard not to be on board with Rex the first two years, but a ton of things fell just right for us to get to those Championship games. Still you can't take those away from Rex.

But Rex is regressing as a head coach, not improving. The player loyalty he had initially has drifted away especially on offense, and he seems more and more confused on how to handle the whole team. For the last 2 years he has essentially been a DC with a HC title and he seems to be planning that again. Not what a HC should be in my view and I do not see Rex changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    this thread needs to be renamed the Delusional visions of Rex thread. Talk about ignoring reality. Holy sh!t.
    Cup half full, cup half empty, time will tell who will disappear and eat crow for a while and who will be the cat who ate the canary :-)

Rex should stay because he's the very best HC this organization has had since Bill Parcells. That's a fact and every significant statistic we use to measure HC's success proves that out.

All of the critics are pointing to stupid, irrelevant, and obscure instances to make the case that Rex should be fired. The fact is, they just don't like Rex. So they are willing to make dumb a$$es out of themselves trying to prove something that is not provable. It is called classic grasping at straws.

Rex will once again make his value to the Jets organization abundantly clear and earn a richly deserved contract extension this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    this thread needs to be renamed the Delusional visions of Rex thread. Talk about ignoring reality. Holy sh!t.
    So I have given many reasons why I believe Rex should stay, you tell us what you consider your reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Rex should stay because he's the very best HC this organization has had since Bill Parcells. That's a fact and every significant statistic we use to measure HC's success proves that out.

All of the critics are pointing to stupid, irrelevant, and obscure instances to make the case that Rex should be fired. The fact is, they just don't like Rex. So they are willing to make dumb a$$es out of themselves trying to prove something that is not provable. It is called classic grasping at straws.

Rex will once again make his value to the Jets organization abundantly clear and earn a richly deserved contract extension this season.
    Agreed.

The dumbest move I'd see the Jets make in my lifetime would be getting rid of Rex.

you know people want to talk about how Rex lost control of the locker room and how the locker room split. What do you expect? When you have a top 5 defense, a defense coming off being a number 1 ranked defense in almost every single category, but then you had an offense that averaged 30th overall the past 4 seasons in a 32 team league, with a QB who was the 36th ranked QB last year in a 32 team league.. I don't care what head coach it is, there are going to be some problems in that locker room because of that.

I have a feeling if Rex stays for at least 2 or 3 more seasons and can make the post season at least once in the next 2 or 3 years, and that offense can improve from being bottom of the barrel, and field a QB who's not a 36th ranked QB in a 32 team league, you will not only see stability in the locker room but his players will be playing their hearts out for him.

Andy Reid was in Philly for 13 seasons I think. Imagine if Rex is here for that long. That means he'll be here for another 8 seasons. Imagine how good that defense, especially the defensive line will be 6 or 7 years from now. Probably one of the best the NFL has ever seen, however bold that may sound. Just give him a middle of the road offense and an accurate and consistent QB with a good running game. Done deal. Not to mention Brady and Bellichick will be out of our division in a few years. This can easily be our division if we give him that time.

Patience is a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Rex should stay because he's the very best HC this organization has had since Bill Parcells.
    Bottom Line.

Marvin Lewis got umpteen chances in Cincy and has paid off for them. Why can't Rex after he's been by far our most succesful HC since Super Bowl III?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    It was hard not to be on board with Rex the first two years, but a ton of things fell just right for us to get to those Championship games. Still you can't take those away from Rex.

But Rex is regressing as a head coach, not improving. The player loyalty he had initially has drifted away especially on offense, and he seems more and more confused on how to handle the whole team. For the last 2 years he has essentially been a DC with a HC title and he seems to be planning that again. Not what a HC should be in my view and I do not see Rex changing.
    Complete crap

Rex hasn't regressed, he's gone through what every damn head coach in the history of the league has gone through, a season that didn't go the way he planned. People forget the lockout off-season had a huge effect on this team before Rex' 3rd season. 17 FA's, that is nearly 2/3 of the roster, that especially on defense up front on DL and at LB was aging. The WR position was decimated, and then all of the injuries during a transition year last year, especially on offense.

Give your Dick Tracy NFL GM's kits a rest and stop overanalyzing. Every team goes through ups and downs, challenges, circumstances that weren't planned for, they are subjected to parody throughout the league, they all go through the roller coaster ride that is the NFL.

The roster Rex brings with him to camp this year, is a LOT different from the roster he brought with him in his first training camp, probably a 75% roster turnver, off the top of my head, if not more.

The problem is, too many of you arm chair NFL experts don't have the patience to ride out the low tide in the cycle, after a year or two, it's always fire the coach, cut the player, get the next guy.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 07-22-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Complete crap

Rex hasn't regressed, he's gone through what every damn head coach in the history of the league has gone through, a season that didn't go the way he planned. People forget the lockout off-season had a huge effect on this team before Rex' 3rd season. 17 FA's, that is nearly 2/3 of the roster, that especially on defense up front on DL and at LB was aging. The WR position was decimated, and then all of the injuries during a transition year last year, especially on offense.

Give your Dick Tracy NFL GM's kits a rest and stop overanalyzing. Every team goes through ups and downs, challenges, circumstances that weren't planned for, they are subjected to parody throughout the league, they all go through the roller coaster ride that is the NFL.

The roster Rex brings with him to camp this year, is a LOT different from the roster he brought with him in his first training camp, probably a 75% roster turnver, off the top of my head, if not more.

The problem is, too many of you arm chair NFL experts don't have the patience to ride out the low tide in the cycle, after a year or two, it's always fire the coach, cut the player, get the next guy.

This is true, Ray, but the reality is most coaches don't survive that rollercoaster. The NFL is a head coaching turnstile, every owner knows it, but if your head coach can't produce over a certain period of time, he's gone.

The question today is how much weight does Rex get for his first two seasons vs the last two, and what weight is given to the GM?

The NFL has many long-term coaches and many insta-fires, Rex has yet to solidify himself among the "keepers." A winning season would go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    This is true, Ray, but the reality is most coaches don't survive that rollercoaster. The NFL is a head coaching turnstile, every owner knows it, but if your head coach can't produce over a certain period of time, he's gone.
    No **** Sherlock! Or how did you put it? Swoosh, that was the sound of my point going over YOUR head?

The question today is how much weight does Rex get for his first two seasons vs the last two, and what weight is given to the GM?

The NFL has many long-term coaches and many insta-fires, Rex has yet to solidify himself among the "keepers." A winning season would go a long way.
    Wrong. Rex with 2 AFCCG's has solidified himself enough that if the Jets did let him go, he would be well sought after.

A solid season this year, he goes no where.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 07-22-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    yeah sure.... so no chance in hell REX drafted Conner? Had input on other choices??? Influenced the Wilson pick? Please.
    Maybe you should read what I wrote.

Might help.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Seriously, what as HEAD COACH is Rex really good at?

Here are the positives I see as a head coach:

1. The move to Cortland was a good move for the team and one of the better things he has done as a coach especially in the first two years. Now that the team is used to it, Cortland pre-season has less of an impact
    2. His super player positive attitude and loyalty was very good the first two years, but has become an issue as he has difficulty letting go of players and playing rookies
    3. He brought a good defense here that carried us the first two seasons with a LOT of things breaking pefectly for us

Here is the bad:

1. No connection to offense, and actively hinders it by being so conservative
    2. Way too interested in wildcat and QB packages and that has been a hindrance
    3. No feel for the mood of the team and has pretty much lost them the last two seasons leading to two consecutive end season collapses
    4. Way way too loyal to Sanchez
    5. Not a good in-game coach or clock manager
    6. His big mouth creates internal problems with players. He doesn't need to be Bellichik he needs to be more circumspect
    7. Has no interest in offense and acts like a DC not a HC. Really, really bad
    8. Not Idzik's chosen guy.

He just needs to go. I bought into him early because of how inspirational he was to his team and how much he loved his players, despite his many glaring weaknesses, but he no longer has that.
    Parcells had that same love for veterans too. He also hated rookies. That is something Simms said many times on Inside the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Bottom Line.

Marvin Lewis got umpteen chances in Cincy and has paid off for them. Why can't Rex after he's been by far our most succesful HC since Super Bowl III?
    Rex is a better Head Coach then Parcells was, or was going to be, for one simple reason.........

REX WANTS TO BE THE COACH OF THE NEW YORK JETS........

Parcells Just used this job to get to his next big pay day...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    Parcells had that same love for veterans too. He also hated rookies. That is something Simms said many times on Inside the NFL.
    He;s making sh1t up as he goes along.

Rex now has a blind love of vets. He means Sanchez. Who was a 4th year player. Because he wanted McElroy, a 3rd year player. Who he amazingly doesn't realized was out with a concussion after his debacle of a start.

Guys like Wilson, Coples, Wilkerson, Sanchez, Hill, Ellis, Greene, Powell, Kerley, etc, all starting or contributing right out of the draft mean nothing to those who just need to make sh1t up to beat up Rex.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 07-23-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Bewildered Beast
    Rex is a better Head Coach then Parcells was, or was going to be, for one simple reason.........

REX WANTS TO BE THE COACH OF THE NEW YORK JETS........

Parcells Just used this job to get to his next big pay day...
    ftflo, honestly (heyi'dneverlie2U) with each passing day, I beieve Parcells wanted to stick his coaching prowess up the Giants and Pats noses...I believe he wanted to be a part of that Giants tight Inner CIrcle.

I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    ftflo, honestly (heyi'dneverlie2U) with each passing day, I beieve Parcells wanted to stick his coaching prowess up the Giants and Pats noses...I believe he wanted to be a part of that Giants tight Inner CIrcle.

I could be wrong
    He just recently said that he should have never left the Pats. That Mr Kraft was a good man and it was a big mistake on his part.
    All I remember is Mr Hess paid a small fortune to get him, got screwed by his then buddy Billy boy for a million. Then had him quit on us to be come GM because he wanted to retire from coaching.
    Then he retired the first time, until he pimped himself out to Jones in Dallas. To retire again and then, Pimp himself out once again to the Fins. An for all of that whoring, what did he win, one AFC EAST championship, to be knocked out in the first round.
    Supposedly he turn all these programs around, which in the Jets case is true. Yet, if you don't stick around to finish the job, what good are you. Parcell's record shows, other then the Giants, he is a money whore and a quitter.
    So when folks here talk about Parcell's being a better coach then Rex, I am left scratching my head. Yes, his past background was developed and he won before he got here but once here , he stumbled as well. An without lucking into Vinny it would have been a whole different story.
    Rex has made mistakes and surely will continue to make more. This is the process of developing a HC in house. Most importantly Rex's wants to be here, he loves what he does and wants nothing more then to win a Super Bowl for the NY Jets.
    He his happy with his contract, he doesn't plan to go to KC. He does not want to go back to college coaching. He has no interest in being the HC of the Browns. He doesn't want to be the GM and buy the groceries. No, Rex just wants to be the HC of the NY Jets and that passion and a bit of time will get this team a championship

Practice Squad
    If the Jets fire Rex at the end of this season and his record is better than 6-10 I will be very upset. This is a rebuilding year. Rex made the Jets relevant again. 2010 wasn't that long ago guys. Some of you still talk about the super bowl we supposedly(joke) won back in the 60's!! Well I wasn't born until 1982 and I freaking like Rex Ryan. I think Rex will win a SB as a Head coach. I just hope it's with the Jets.

All Pro
    I think Marty Morninwheg is gonna save Rex's job, if Rex lets him.

People have been arguing for year's that Rex needs to be more involved on the offensive side of the ball, I argue the opposite. Why force Rex to put his two cents into something he has limited knowledge in? I want him to focus on DEFENSE.

You don't see Sean Payton having a big influence on Defense?

Same with Gary Kubiak, John/Jim Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy, Andy Reid, Jason Garrett, etc.

These coaches are smart enough to stick to the side of the ball they are experts in and hire strong coordinators to handle the other side of the ball. A lot of the Head Coaches in this league we consider to be great, are nothing more than glorified coordinators themselves.

We may have finally found a strong Off Coordinator after the Schotty fail and the Sporano epic fail! Let him do his thing Rex, go back to being the mad scientist on defense that got us to 2 AFCCG's. Let Idsik rebuild this roster. We will be better off for it.

Rex's downfall is loyalty to JAG players. Well half of them are gone, and it looks as if this team is going in a new direction as far as roster competition is concerned. You won't play unless you produce on the field! It seemed like when Tanny was here Rex was wearing too many hats, and now he has 1 or 2 of them taken away. He will be better off for it. The Jets will be better off for it.

Rookie
    He just recently said that he should have never left the Pats. That Mr Kraft was a good man and it was a big mistake on his part.
    All I remember is Mr Hess paid a small fortune to get him, got screwed by his then buddy Billy boy for a million. Then had him quit on us to be come GM because he wanted to retire from coaching.
    Then he retired the first time, until he pimped himself out to Jones in Dallas. To retire again and then, Pimp himself out once again to the Fins. An for all of that whoring, what did he win, one AFC EAST championship, to be knocked out in the first round.
    Supposedly he turn all these programs around, which in the Jets case is true. Yet, if you don't stick around to finish the job, what good are you. Parcell's record shows, other then the Giants, he is a money whore and a quitter.
    So when folks here talk about Parcell's being a better coach then Rex, I am left scratching my head. Yes, his past background was developed and he won before he got here but once here , he stumbled as well. An without lucking into Vinny it would have been a whole different story.
    Rex has made mistakes and surely will continue to make more. This is the process of developing a HC in house. Most importantly Rex's wants to be here, he loves what he does and wants nothing more then to win a Super Bowl for the NY Jets.
    He his happy with his contract, he doesn't plan to go to KC. He does not want to go back to college coaching. He has no interest in being the HC of the Browns. He doesn't want to be the GM and buy the groceries. No, Rex just wants to be the HC of the NY Jets and that passion and a bit of time will get this team a championship
    This is the best post I've read in some time. Thank you fltflo.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Supposedly he turn all these programs around, which in the Jets case is true. Yet, if you don't stick around to finish the job, what good are you. Parcell's record shows, other then the Giants, he is a money whore and a quitter. So when folks here talk about Parcell's being a better coach
    Better not let Cumar hear you say that..