Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Rex Should Stay

Why Rex Should Stay

This is a thread about why Rex should stay. It's not about why he should go....get it? If it's not about why he should stay, then please refrain from putting your two cents in even if it pains you!

DEFENSE plain and simple! I've been a Jets fan since 1970 and since Rex has been our coach we've had consistently the best defense I can ever remember. That goes a long way with me because I can remember a lot of pathetic defenses over the years. If we lose this guy he will go somewhere else and win a superbowl as a head coach.

If you pair Rex with the right offensive coordinator we will get that championship we so desperately want as a fanbase. I believe John Idzik is a smart man and he realizes this regardless of how this season goes on offense.

We just didn't have the cap room to put the right pieces in place on offense but next year you better believe that will happen and in the meantime, Rex and Idzik has stacked this defense with up and coming first rounders. Next year money gets spent on the offense and maybe a safety and we're gonna be really good next year and the year after that, dominant! Write it down! I've been patient since 1970, another year or two is a piece of cake especially when you look at how our roster is taking shape. With the slide of the Pats on the horizon, our time is coming. Dealing with that stingy fish defense is going to be the new challenge within the division...........Rex will get us that ring!

Rex hasn't really blown the clock like Herm or made those kind of mistakes as a coach, his problem has been ego, bravado and sticking his nose in on the offensive side of the ball, Sanchez etc., Yes I know a head coach is supposed to blah blah blah but i'm telling you when Rex let ****ty run the "O" and he concentrated on "D", we went to two AFC championship games for the first time ever in the history of our franchise!

I'm totally cool with Rex being the only head coach in the league that all he does is run the "D", call timeouts and speak to the media as long as the "O" gets fixed we're gonna dominate and I believe Idzik will fix that........

And since Schotty sucks, MM should be able to put together a decent offense. I like it when Rex ran the defense. I don't know if Idzik has ex in his plans or not though. Even Papa Schott was fired after 13-3. I want Rex to stay if he is winning. If he doesn't win this year even with a weak team, I would also be fine if he was fired. With that said, I actually think this team is going to surprise a few people.

Hall Of Fame
    This thread is about 6 months too early. Lets get through the season first.

The only problem with your proposed setup of Rex running the D and getting an Offensive coordinator is that the good offensive coordinators are already HCs or will become HCs. It is very unlikely to have a great OC come here in a lateral move. We would basically have to develop a homegrown OC and if they ever had a good year they would leave to become a HC. Almost every team is looking to hire offensive HCs. Just look at this past offseason, I think all but one of the HCs hired came from an offensive background. So basically what you are proposing is not stable.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 07-20-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I dont believe rex is part of Idziks plans. He was kept on to save Woody some cash and to be the sacrificial lamb after this 4-12 season we are about to have.

Darrell Bevel will be brought in here as HC in 2014. Hes an Idzik guy. Rex is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I dont believe rex is part of Idziks plans. He was kept on to save Woody some cash and to be the sacrificial lamb after this 4-12 season we are about to have.

Darrell Bevel will be brought in here as HC in 2014. Hes an Idzik guy. Rex is not.
    This is too good a team for 4-12 so what is your plan when he goes 8-8 again? Fire a coach win only 1 loosing season in 5 years with the worst QB in the league? Rex should not be tied in with the Sanchez pick IMO. Never once felt he made that call. He is not a GM/Coach guy. He takes what he is given and does his best with it. Despite out inefficiencies over the years Rex has always found a way to win games we had no business winning IMO. If he is not in Idzik's plan there better to a good reason why. Good GMs do not fire successful coaches in this league and keep their own jobs very long. It isnt easy to find a coach that can win. Look at Oakland, Detroit, Buff, Washington, and Cleveland who have all played hopscotch trying to find a coach like Rex. They just keep hiring these O minded guys that can't put a game away.

Jets Insider VIP
    I've said it before, give Rex some halfway decent production at the QB position and let's see what this team is capable of.

It's why I was a pretty big supporter of making a trade for Alex Smith.

He wouldn't have been a longterm solution but at least you know he's accurate and won't turn the ball over.

Obviously the Chiefs gave up too much for him but how awesome would it have been to have Smith as the starter for 2-3 years while Geno could ride the bench and be brought along slowly?

All League
    I think if your going to propose Rex be let go , you should state who you want as head coach

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I think if your going to propose Rex be let go , you should state who you want as head coach
    No particular order. I would like all these guys to get strong consideration.

Darrell Bevell
    David Shaw
    Jay Gruden
    Pep Hamilton - dark horse candidate, 2013 will be his first year as NFL OC but he coached here under Herm.

Rex is our best HC since Parcells and it's not even close. When has the defense ever been bad under Rex? Last year with no Revis, Pouha and Harris both hurt and Scott and Pace unable to run a 10.0 40 our defense was still top 10.

Get a real OC and a QB who doesn't turn the ball over anytime a defender breathes on him.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Darrell Bevell
    David Shaw
    Jay Gruden
    Pep Hamilton - dark horse candidate, 2013 will be his first year as NFL OC but he coached here under Herm.
    Only guy I'd even consider is Joe Vitt. Shaw maybe. You can keep anyone from the Gruden family. Dont get why they are treated like NFL royalty at all. I think too many are thinking Marty is the next guy. BUT if he cant get the O to play good enough to save Rex's job I wouldnt even consider him. I just wouldnt want any college guys. Too many teams are going college O minded guys and I just think that is a bad direction. Seems like the Chip Kelly rave it sweeping fans that should really know better IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Darrell Bevell
    David Shaw
    Jay Gruden
    Anything or anyone associated with the Flim Flam BBQ man I don't want.. Ok except for chicken or ribs..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Only guy I'd even consider is Joe Vitt. Shaw maybe. You can keep anyone from the Gruden family. Dont get why they are treated like NFL royalty at all. I think too many are thinking Marty is the next guy. BUT if he cant get the O to play good enough to save Rex's job I wouldnt even consider him. I just wouldnt want any college guys. Too many teams are going college O minded guys and I just think that is a bad direction. Seems like the Chip Kelly rave it sweeping fans that should really know better IMO.
    Fair enough but allow me to explain.

I agree about the college coaches but Shaw runs a pro-style offense and Hamilton (Colts OC) is from his staff. As for Gruden I am not sure if his personality is similar to his brother's, I am only judging him based off his work in Cincinnati. I think he has done a good job bringing up a young QB.

The only problem I have with Vitt is the same problem I would have with anybody from the Saints organization which is IMO their success is 99% Payton/Brees. Their defense has been awful the last couple of years.

This thread is about 6 months too early. Lets get through the season first.

Not sure anything else needs to be said about this thread.

All League
    Name the head coaches we've had that have been better than Rex. Since I've watched, about 35 yrs, only Parcells, IMO. You more than likely gonna hire garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

This.

GMs want "their" guys, Rex is keeping the seat warm.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Shaw and Hamilton are not offensive minded coaches like Kelly. If you watched Stanford the last couple seasons you will see they run a pretty conventional pro style offense and play good defense. Both those guys are going to be good professional coaches.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    This.

GMs want "their" guys, Rex is keeping the seat warm.
    Does that mean BB wanted himself??

I'd take Shaw in heartbeat. DDNY is right when he says that the top offensive minds are the ones who are getting the head coaching jobs nowadays. It's the more reliable/consistent side of the ball, as Football Outsiders has been pointing out for the last few years. Basically, a good defense is more likely to have a bad day than a good offense.

Even the best defense is going to have multiple games where they allow 28+ points. The best offenses rarely score less than 20.

All League
    I'll take a big time QB over a big time OC. Rex and Brady would've won a SB already

Jets Insider VIP
    Rex will get the long term extension he rightly deserves during this season because 1)he is a terrific head football coach and 2)with Buttfumble on the bench and then gone forever, the team will start to play up to it's potential on offense too