Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 105

Thread: Jets bringing in Braylon on Monday?

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    You have some kind of irrational Braylon Edwards hatred. In his one full season with the Jets (3 years ago), he had 900 receiving yards and game-altering catches in both of our playoff victories. He did struggle with injuries after we let him go. However, when he came back to the team for the last 3 games of last season, he produced totals that put him on pace for 700 yards over a full season.

    700 yards is no big deal, but he was not completely healthy, was thrown into the fire after not playing very much for the Seahawks, in an unfamiliar system (Sparano's) and with a horrible QB situation (a completely shot Sanchez and an 11-sack McElroy performance), so he's probably still capable of better. Even if he's not, please name one receiver on this team outside of Holmes, Kerley, or Hill (and Hill is arguable), who you think can put up 700 yards this season.
    The truth is for whatever reason there is irrational love and hate for Bryalon on the board - for a WR who has really done very little for us the past 2 seasons, its amazing how strong the feelings are for him.

    That being said, it would be extremely smart to bring him in the fold, however just because both him and Hill are tall, doesnt mean they do remotely the same things.

    At this point, braylon is a possession receiver who is an excellent blocker. He simply doesnt have the downfield speed to make plays over the top - that is what Hill is for us, someone with ridiculous speed to help open things up underneath. I know hes been hurt, but I also dont know why the league is so down on him (his DUI was years ago) when plax has been signed for 2 years? His biggest downside for us is that he doesnt play special teams and we need someone to return punts, but if Holmes has to start on the PUP I feel a lot better with braylon in the fold then some of these other guys.

    Lastly - say what you want about him now, but whoever criticized what braylon brought to this team in his first sting, especially vs Indy and NE in the playoffs is delusional to think he wasnt our best WR making 2 ENORMOUS catches for us in the playoffs.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    The truth is for whatever reason there is irrational love and hate for Bryalon on the board - for a WR who has really done very little for us the past 2 seasons, its amazing how strong the feelings are for him.

    That being said, it would be extremely smart to bring him in the fold, however just because both him and Hill are tall, doesnt mean they do remotely the same things.

    At this point, braylon is a possession receiver who is an excellent blocker. He simply doesnt have the downfield speed to make plays over the top - that is what Hill is for us, someone with ridiculous speed to help open things up underneath. I know hes been hurt, but I also dont know why the league is so down on him (his DUI was years ago) when plax has been signed for 2 years? His biggest downside for us is that he doesnt play special teams and we need someone to return punts, but if Holmes has to start on the PUP I feel a lot better with braylon in the fold then some of these other guys.

    Lastly - say what you want about him now, but whoever criticized what braylon brought to this team in his first sting, especially vs Indy and NE in the playoffs is delusional to think he wasnt our best WR making 2 ENORMOUS catches for us in the playoffs.
    He was flat out great in those games!

    For all the time Braylon was a Jet, I've never seen him take a play off. If he wasn't receiving, he was blocking to help RBs break long runs. His 904 yards in 2010 was the best on the team, yet we decided to sign Santonio (746 yds) to a $24M guaranteed deal and cast off Braylon. The following year Santonio (654 yds) was named captain and we all remember what happened in the Miami game. Last year Santonio was injured (272 yds), this year he's starting the year injured and next year he'll be gone.

    For all the talk of dropped passes, Braylon didn't drop any in 2010, yet people kept on hammering him for that. I guess his reputation from earlier in your career has been tough to shake.

    The signing of Holmes in my mind marked the beginning of the end for the jets as a playoff contender. It wasn't the only move that got us to where we are today, but it marked the beginning of paying big money and giving away draft picks for little value. Another key factor was that we were getting older in some key positions and we never were able to replace:

    LT
    Damien Woody
    Braylon Edwards
    Tony Richardson
    Ben Hartsock

    These players were all tremendous blockers which helped both our running and passing game. We've never recovered since.

    Looking back we should have keep Braylon and gotten rid of Holmes. At a minimum we would have had a bunch more money to replace our aging players and might have gotten a pick or two for Holmes.

    Let's bring Braylon back. He's only 30 and looked pretty good at the end of last year. I think he'd be a nice safety valve as well as someone who can help bring Hill along.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 07-21-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Typo

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    The truth is for whatever reason there is irrational love and hate for Bryalon on the board - for a WR who has really done very little for us the past 2 seasons, its amazing how strong the feelings are for him.

    That being said, it would be extremely smart to bring him in the fold, however just because both him and Hill are tall, doesnt mean they do remotely the same things.

    At this point, braylon is a possession receiver who is an excellent blocker. He simply doesnt have the downfield speed to make plays over the top - that is what Hill is for us, someone with ridiculous speed to help open things up underneath. I know hes been hurt, but I also dont know why the league is so down on him (his DUI was years ago) when plax has been signed for 2 years? His biggest downside for us is that he doesnt play special teams and we need someone to return punts, but if Holmes has to start on the PUP I feel a lot better with braylon in the fold then some of these other guys.

    Lastly - say what you want about him now, but whoever criticized what braylon brought to this team in his first sting, especially vs Indy and NE in the playoffs is delusional to think he wasnt our best WR making 2 ENORMOUS catches for us in the playoffs.
    And who can forget the dougie??

  4. #64
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,116
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    And who can forget the dougie??
    He must really p*ss of the coaches/ front offices to not have any offers at this time .

    I personally am thinking 2013 to be a throwaway season ... While they see if any of these new/young WR's are worth anything ... As we wait for Geno to learn what being an NFL QB is all about & likely coming in as our starter after the bye week.

    With that being the case, the FO is looking at what is best for this team in 2014 ... & the answer is seeing if we have a diamond in the rough this year ... Not ... Bringing in dougie-meister!

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    And who can forget the dougie??
    Braylon single handedly brought the Jets the swag they needed to be a complete team.

    With Rex as the brash, new, highly intelligent (defensively) HC in the NY media, he brought legitimacy to the D and a high level of confidence. However, the first four games, we were so anemic on offense that it didn't mean much.

    The moment Braylon got here in that first monday night Miami game, our running game picked up big time due to (1) his downfield speed which kept the safety out of the box, and (2) his fierce run blocking. And this was in addition to what he did for Sanchez and the passing game.

    People can disregard swag and claim it doesn't mean much...and I'd agree if it was the kind of swag that Santonio possess, where it's all talk and Naïveté. However, self-confidence is important in any facet of life, and in Braylons case- where he wasn't doing the talking but was rather doing the walking, a slightly edgy self confidence like the swag he brought to an already loaded team goes a long way.

    Edit to add: The dougie, the beard, and the backflip after we knocked off the Pats in the divisional round in '11 (after losing to them by like 950 points on national TV when both teams were 9-2 to start the year)....one of the greatest moments in this young Jet's fan's life.
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 07-21-2013 at 08:54 AM.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Braylon single handedly brought the Jets the swag they needed to be a complete team.

    With Rex as the brash, new, highly intelligent (defensively) HC in the NY media, he brought legitimacy to the D and a high level of confidence. However, the first four games, we were so anemic on offense that it didn't mean much.

    The moment Braylon got here in that first monday night Miami game, our running game picked up big time due to (1) his downfield speed which kept the safety out of the box, and (2) his fierce run blocking. And this was in addition to what he did for Sanchez and the passing game.

    His play, his heart, his beard, and his exuberance for being on the Jets singlehandedly brought the swag component to this team that we had all throughout 2011.

    People can disregard swag and claim it doesn't mean much...and I'd agree if it was the kind of swag that Santonio possess, where it's all talk and Naïveté. However, self-confidence is important in any facet of life, and in Braylons case- where he wasn't doing the talking but was rather doing the walking, a slightly edgy self confidence like the swag he brought to an already loaded team goes a long way.
    I don't know about stats but he's def one of the players in the NFL who doesn't bow down to the all mighty pats. the celebration after the two point was even more in your face then the dougie.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2MyQJdIpu8

  7. #67
    Hope not.

    There's no reason for Braylon Edwards to be on this team. Let the youngsters compete for the remaining spots on the roster. Holmes, Hill and Kerley have theirs cemented in stone. Let Gates, White, Spadola, Rogers, Hazelton, Mayo and the others compete for the final two. Any one of them can perform just as well, if not better, than Edwards did in the last two years.

    Continue to get younger on both sides of the ball, not just defense. Edwards is a nobody at this point in the NFL. That's been proven since the end of 2010.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Hope not.

    There's no reason for Braylon Edwards to be on this team. Let the youngsters compete for the remaining spots on the roster. Holmes, Hill and Kerley have theirs cemented in stone. Let Gates, White, Spadola, Rogers, Hazelton, Mayo and the others compete for the final two. Any one of them can perform just as well, if not better, than Edwards did in the last two years.

    Continue to get younger on both sides of the ball, not just defense. Edwards is a nobody at this point in the NFL. That's been proven since the end of 2010.
    No, you are wrong. Listing a bunch of scrubs vs a vet player who has had injury issues is faulty. Espexially when our lock solid wr stink as a group. Kerley is okay, Holmes is still hurt and it garbage. Hill coming off an injury and showed bad hands.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    No, you are wrong. Listing a bunch of scrubs vs a vet player who has had injury issues is faulty. Espexially when our lock solid wr stink as a group. Kerley is okay, Holmes is still hurt and it garbage. Hill coming off an injury and showed bad hands.
    Edwards didn't have any injury problems last season, he just flat out sucked and couldn't make things work with a WR-needy Seattle team.

    He's not good enough for winning teams like San Francisco and Seattle, but he's good enough for us? Okay.

    That will work well.

    Move on. His heyday is long behind him. I've followed his entire career. I know what Edwards is and what he isn't and right now he is not a starting WR in the NFL. He's a No.4 at best.

    You wanna sign a veteran WR? Go sign Donald Jones or Brandon Lloyd. Two receivers a lot more productive than Edwards in 2012 and with zero ties to the **** QB on this team.

  10. #70
    It is about f-----------------ng time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I have said it for months, there is no down side to this, I dare anyone to find one solid down effect, I'm talking solid, not some petty BS reason.

    BE is a Jet, he is a positive influence in the locker room, sideline and fld for both Sanchez and a new QB.

  11. #71
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Your bedroom window
    Posts
    13,420
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Edwards didn't have any injury problems last season, he just flat out sucked and couldn't make things work with a WR-needy Seattle team.

    He's not good enough for winning teams like San Francisco and Seattle, but he's good enough for us? Okay.

    That will work well.

    Move on. His heyday is long behind him. I've followed his entire career. I know what Edwards is and what he isn't and right now he is not a starting WR in the NFL. He's a No.4 at best.

    You wanna sign a veteran WR? Go sign Donald Jones or Brandon Lloyd. Two receivers a lot more productive than Edwards in 2012 and with zero ties to the **** QB on this team.
    Clearly you do not actually watch the games... Or you have no clue what you're looking at.

    A blind and retarded ape would have noticed a major difference even when he was brought in for the last few games last year.

  12. #72
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,144
    So let me get this straight.. We have a multipage thread about Braylon based on Steiny saying this:


    "I’ll keep you posted if I get word of any others working out. Could one of them be Braylon? I’m not sure, but I did hear Idzik likes him, so definitely stay tuned."


    Sound legit.

  13. #73
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Montréal, Qc.
    Posts
    645
    If Holmes is out for a while, Edwards would bring a much needed veteran presence at WR

    Key is when the Jets expect Holmes to be back (medical report)

  14. #74
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    2,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    He was flat out great in those games!

    For all the time Braylon was a Jet, I've never seen him take a play off. If he wasn't receiving, he was blocking to help RBs break long runs. His 904 yards in 2010 was the best on the team, yet we decided to sign Santonio (746 yds) to a $24M guaranteed deal and cast off Braylon. The following year Santonio (654 yds) was named captain and we all remember what happened in the Miami game. Last year Santonio was injured (272 yds), this year he's starting the year injured and next year he'll be gone.

    For all the talk of dropped passes, Braylon didn't drop any in 2010, yet people kept on hammering him for that. I guess his reputation from earlier in your career has been tough to shake.

    The signing of Holmes in my mind marked the beginning of the end for the jets as a playoff contender. It wasn't the only move that got us to where we are today, but it marked the beginning of paying big money and giving away draft picks for little value. Another key factor was that we were getting older in some key positions and we never were able to replace:

    LT
    Damien Woody
    Braylon Edwards
    Tony Richardson
    Ben Hartsock

    These players were all tremendous blockers which helped both our running and passing game. We've never recovered since.

    Looking back we should have keep Braylon and gotten rid of Holmes. At a minimum we would have had a bunch more money to replace our aging players and might have gotten a pick or two for Holmes.

    Let's bring Braylon back. He's only 30 and looked pretty good at the end of last year. I think he'd be a nice safety valve as well as someone who can help bring Hill along.
    this guy gets it!!

  15. #75
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Your bedroom window
    Posts
    13,420
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    If Holmes is out for a while, Edwards would bring a much needed veteran presence at WR

    Key is when the Jets expect Holmes to be back (medical report)
    I'm not sure Holmes will even ever play again.

    Seems to me like he's trying to keep his last paycheck for as long as he can.

  16. #76
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Montréal, Qc.
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I'm not sure Holmes will even ever play again.

    Seems to me like he's trying to keep his last paycheck for as long as he can.
    In that case, a veteran wr like Edwards would be beneficial with our young bunch (hill, kerley, etc).

  17. #77
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I love how you ignore my point that BE was better when he came back then any Jets receiver except for maybe Kerley!!!

    I never said BE was Jerry Rice, I said that he was better than anything the Jets had and have ACTIVELY on their roster right now.

    The fact that two NFL teams didn't feel that BE was good enough to make or stay on their squad is not an indictment against my position but rather reveals the inanity of those who claim we have more offensive talent then we need and that Sanchez is somehow holding these guys back from HOF careers!!!
    Whether he was the 2nd best out of that group, at that time or not doesn't make him better than he was.

    He caught a whopping 10 passes over the course of 3 games at the phenomenal 12 per catch clip. While being 1 of only 2 options and this is all he managed. But those who chase ghosts see 2009 BE in their minds. How this even makes him better than our struggling rookie is interesting. Some here get pissed when someone points out what actually happened, not what they dreamed. When you combine 3 catches per game with his two year history it doesn't mean we have to sign him. And saying the WRs suck so bad that he has to signed isn't reasonable, if they need another WR, they need a player who may be what people dream BE is.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 07-21-2013 at 11:49 AM.

  18. #78
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,537
    As long as I see Gates listed on the roster at NYJETS.com, I have no issue with them bringing in Braylon. End of story

  19. #79
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,928
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    So let me get this straight.. We have a multipage thread about Braylon based on Steiny saying this:


    "I’ll keep you posted if I get word of any others working out. Could one of them be Braylon? I’m not sure, but I did hear Idzik likes him, so definitely stay tuned."


    Sound legit.
    LOL....so true. Most of the article was Steiny talking up another nobody like he always does. The article was about a young WR named NICK Edwards.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    No, you are wrong. Listing a bunch of scrubs vs a vet player who has had injury issues is faulty. Espexially when our lock solid wr stink as a group. Kerley is okay, Holmes is still hurt and it garbage. Hill coming off an injury and showed bad hands.
    Kerley is our best receiver but he needs to play in the slot - he can't be split wide and used as our go-to which he was last year. Geno Smith loves using the slot receiver which is why he and Tavon Austin were such a force in WVU. Jets can make Kerley into Geno's Tayon Austin here if they add a receiver like Edwards who can go out wide.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us