Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Jets will have a good year

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Jets will have a good year

So bored out of my mind on a guard detail tonight, till 5:30am, I began to ponder about the Jets and their up coming season. This is my take on why the Jets will have a good season and possibly push for an up coming playoff spot. These are in no particular order by the way.

1.) When the Jets are thought to be a bottom of the barrel team they always seem to prove everybody wrong. This is almost like our teams calling card. We are the greatest threat to the league when no one believes in us or gives us a chance.

2.) Idzik brings a calm stability to our front office that we have not seen in years. The guy is here to take care of buisness and is nothing more. He brings a great and well needed attitude to the Jets. He also did a fantastic job this offseason through free agency to the Revis situation to the NFL Draft. I know it takes 3 years to find out if a draft was a great draft or a bust but, all I know is from a college talent pool stand point he grabbed some great players.

3.) Our running game appears to have its wheels back on track. With a revamped Oline and a stable of fresh young running backs with game breaking speed. If you are not excited about this running game nothing will ever get you excited, in more ways then one .

4.) Our skill postion players are not nearly as bad as people say they are. We have really good youth and speed at the position. With Hill having another year on his belt, Kerley being a pretty darn good slot reciever, and if Holmes can come back to full strength I think that is a pretty deck trio. Also if reports are true about the BEARD then that would only make our recieving core that much better. At tight end I believe we are solid enough to get by.

5.) Our QB situation is only going to make our future QB, Mr.Smith, that much better although I believe Sanchez will start out the gate. I firmly believe Smith will be our starter by game 4. Our first few games might be rough with Sanchez at the helm but after that we will see what a bright young star we have in Smith. I know what your thinking but, but, but, Dr.Green, Smith fell to the 2nd round so he is not a good QB. Well I do not claim to be an expert on Smith however, I have seen enough game tape of him at WVU to know the kid has it all. Mobile, good arm, smart, accurate, and maybe the most important of all he has a chip on his shoulders. If you don't think he wants to prove everyone wrong who passed up on him you have another thing coming. I will be very excited when we see smith under center.

6.) Our schedule does not look near as tough as it did when New England was healthy and killer free.

Tampa Bay (Toss up game)
    @New England (Toss up game)
    Buffalo (Advantage Jets)
    @Tennessee (Advantage Jets)
    @Atlanta (Advantage them)
    Pittsburgh (Toss up game)
    New England (Toss up game)
    @Cincinnati (Advantage them)
    New Orleans (Advantage them)
    Bye
    @Buffalo (Advantage Jets)
    @Baltimore (Advantage them)
    Miami (Toss up game)
    Oakland (Advantage Jets)
    @Carolina (Advantage Jets)
    Cleveland (Advantage Jets)
    @Miami (Toss up game)

7.) Our defense is what I really expect to be dominate. Our speed and youth has improved ten folds. Our Dline looks like something from a horror movie, all of them are Frankensteins with the mad scientist (Rex) putting them in great postions to cause havoc. Our linebackers are the fastest its been since God knows when. With another year under Davis's belt, a offseason for Hitman Harris to get healthy, addition of Barnes, and the fact that Coples will be doing some outside linebacker work is going to give the opponent nightmares. Although our safety postions are not as hard hitting as they once were last year, they will make up for it in coverage. Plus I always have liked Landry's play although not as physical as his brother he can still pack a punch and is much better in coverage. The corners are going to be good again next year I have faith in all of them except Wilson on the outside lol However in all seriousness our Cbs are a non issue and should be a top 5 unit even with out Revis.

8.) I believe this is the season Rex puts it all together and proves he is a head coach and will be for a long time. Im the first one to admitt sometimes he just needs to shut up and also needs to pay attention to the offense more. This year I think he learns from his mistakes and brings our offense back to respectability and fields a great defense. With the addition of Marty, Rex is complete.

I can honestly tell you I believe the Jets will finish no worse then 9-7 and be in the thick of the action when it comes to the AFC East crown.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love your optimism, which I mostly share.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a matter of time when the Jets/Rex hater crowd comes in chirping.

Great post

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post

Those predicting doom and gloom for the Jets this year are clueless.

They do have question marks, but there is no reason everything you said can't happen.

For me, health is main key, if they are healthy, the Jets have the potential to again be a top 10 and maybe even a top 5 defense.

If Sanchez bounces back by storm, if the young WR's take a jump and Holmes comes back healthy sooner than later, the offense has some intriguing potential, but I admit, the QB position is the biggest question mark after Sanchez, because we simply do not know how Smith will do if he either takes the job out of camp or takes over for Sanchez.

Health, Sanchez or Smith are the two biggest keys, development and progress at the WR position is the 3rd.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Me likey!

-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Great post

Those predicting doom and gloom for the Jets this year are clueless.

They do have question marks, but there is no reason everything you said can't happen.

For me, health is main key, if they are healthy, the Jets have the potential to again be a top 10 and maybe even a top 5 defense.

If Sanchez bounces back by storm, if the young WR's take a jump and Holmes comes back healthy sooner than later, the offense has some intriguing potential, but I admit, the QB position is the biggest question mark after Sanchez, because we simply do not know how Smith will do if he either takes the job out of camp or takes over for Sanchez.

Health, Sanchez or Smith are the two biggest keys, development and progress at the WR position is the 3rd.
    I feel very bad for the doom and gloomers... Agree with your post. When one of our QBs step up (hoping smith) then this season is going to be incredibly fun from start till finish.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy crap if it's not DWC come back to life, how are you chum? How's the old Zach Thomas jersey your grandma gave you? Lol ... (inside joke)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it will be a good year. We without a doubt got better and where not bottom of the barrel. Our issues last year was our QB which we have changed. Even if Geno doesnt perform well it will still be an improvement. He should take a few teams by surprise early on and the back end looks pretty easy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets WILL field a top 10 D. No doubt about it. I'm not at all concerned with it.

Our offense is...suspect, to put it nicely. Our starting RB can be very good WHEN healthy, but his past hasn't exactly shown him being able to do that. Our receivers are a bunch of WR/TE2s/3s and jags. Our OLine has added some depth, and I personally never believed them to be our biggest issue on O. Speaking of big issues, MARK F'ING SANCHEZ! The dude is a fumble/int/buttfumble/forgotten play waiting to happen. The guy is simply awful and will do nothing but disappoint us, again. We'd be LUCKY if he could ever manage to not pad the stats of DLinemen.

Our schedule has some pretty tough games on it. Weeks 5-9 are brutal and it doesn't really let up with Carolina (much better than their record last year), Baltimore, and Miami being 4 of our last 7. Maybe we get a surprise win here or there (split with NE, decimate NO's awful defense in Metlife, etc.) and get 7/8 wins.

Tampa Bay (win)
    @New England (loss)
    Buffalo (win)
    @Tennessee (win)
    @Atlanta (loss)
    Pittsburgh (loss/win)
    New England (loss)
    @Cincinnati (loss)
    New Orleans (loss)
    Bye
    @Buffalo (win)
    @Baltimore (loss)
    Miami (win)
    Oakland (win)
    @Carolina (loss)
    Cleveland (win)
    @Miami (loss)

Simple fact is that the Jets are not a good team in 2013. I think we'll be better in 2014 (8+ picks, bunch of cap room). We should be looking for the Jets to be COMPETITIVE in 2013; not WINNERS. I know the sunshine crew will call me names and tell me I'm not a real fan, blah blah blah, but the simple fact is that we weren't in position (financially) to field a very talented team. We'll be able to do that next year. Besides, the sunflowers think we're SB contenders every single year, anyway, so take that big green pill with a bottle of reality water.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Green View Post
    So bored out of my mind on a guard detail tonight, till 5:30am, I began to ponder about the Jets and their up coming season. This is my take on why the Jets will have a good season and possibly push for an up coming playoff spot. These are in no particular order by the way.

1.) When the Jets are thought to be a bottom of the barrel team they always seem to prove everybody wrong. This is almost like our teams calling card. We are the greatest threat to the league when no one believes in us or gives us a chance.

2.) Idzik brings a calm stability to our front office that we have not seen in years. The guy is here to take care of buisness and is nothing more. He brings a great and well needed attitude to the Jets. He also did a fantastic job this offseason through free agency to the Revis situation to the NFL Draft. I know it takes 3 years to find out if a draft was a great draft or a bust but, all I know is from a college talent pool stand point he grabbed some great players.

3.) Our running game appears to have its wheels back on track. With a revamped Oline and a stable of fresh young running backs with game breaking speed. If you are not excited about this running game nothing will ever get you excited, in more ways then one .

4.) Our skill postion players are not nearly as bad as people say they are. We have really good youth and speed at the position. With Hill having another year on his belt, Kerley being a pretty darn good slot reciever, and if Holmes can come back to full strength I think that is a pretty deck trio. Also if reports are true about the BEARD then that would only make our recieving core that much better. At tight end I believe we are solid enough to get by.

5.) Our QB situation is only going to make our future QB, Mr.Smith, that much better although I believe Sanchez will start out the gate. I firmly believe Smith will be our starter by game 4. Our first few games might be rough with Sanchez at the helm but after that we will see what a bright young star we have in Smith. I know what your thinking but, but, but, Dr.Green, Smith fell to the 2nd round so he is not a good QB. Well I do not claim to be an expert on Smith however, I have seen enough game tape of him at WVU to know the kid has it all. Mobile, good arm, smart, accurate, and maybe the most important of all he has a chip on his shoulders. If you don't think he wants to prove everyone wrong who passed up on him you have another thing coming. I will be very excited when we see smith under center.

6.) Our schedule does not look near as tough as it did when New England was healthy and killer free.

Tampa Bay (Toss up game)
    @New England (Toss up game)
    Buffalo (Advantage Jets)
    @Tennessee (Advantage Jets)
    @Atlanta (Advantage them)
    Pittsburgh (Toss up game)
    New England (Toss up game)
    @Cincinnati (Advantage them)
    New Orleans (Advantage them)
    Bye
    @Buffalo (Advantage Jets)
    @Baltimore (Advantage them)
    Miami (Toss up game)
    Oakland (Advantage Jets)
    @Carolina (Advantage Jets)
    Cleveland (Advantage Jets)
    @Miami (Toss up game)

7.) Our defense is what I really expect to be dominate. Our speed and youth has improved ten folds. Our Dline looks like something from a horror movie, all of them are Frankensteins with the mad scientist (Rex) putting them in great postions to cause havoc. Our linebackers are the fastest its been since God knows when. With another year under Davis's belt, a offseason for Hitman Harris to get healthy, addition of Barnes, and the fact that Coples will be doing some outside linebacker work is going to give the opponent nightmares. Although our safety postions are not as hard hitting as they once were last year, they will make up for it in coverage. Plus I always have liked Landry's play although not as physical as his brother he can still pack a punch and is much better in coverage. The corners are going to be good again next year I have faith in all of them except Wilson on the outside lol However in all seriousness our Cbs are a non issue and should be a top 5 unit even with out Revis.

8.) I believe this is the season Rex puts it all together and proves he is a head coach and will be for a long time. Im the first one to admitt sometimes he just needs to shut up and also needs to pay attention to the offense more. This year I think he learns from his mistakes and brings our offense back to respectability and fields a great defense. With the addition of Marty, Rex is complete.

I can honestly tell you I believe the Jets will finish no worse then 9-7 and be in the thick of the action when it comes to the AFC East crown.
    I agree with everything except 5 and 8. Geno needs to start out of the gate and we need a new coach next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    The Jets WILL field a top 10 D. No doubt about it. I'm not at all concerned with it.

Our offense is...suspect, to put it nicely. Our starting RB can be very good WHEN healthy, but his past hasn't exactly shown him being able to do that. Our receivers are a bunch of WR/TE2s/3s and jags. Our OLine has added some depth, and I personally never believed them to be our biggest issue on O. Speaking of big issues, MARK F'ING SANCHEZ! The dude is a fumble/int/buttfumble/forgotten play waiting to happen. The guy is simply awful and will do nothing but disappoint us, again. We'd be LUCKY if he could ever manage to not pad the stats of DLinemen.

Our schedule has some pretty tough games on it. Weeks 5-9 are brutal and it doesn't really let up with Carolina (much better than their record last year), Baltimore, and Miami being 4 of our last 7. Maybe we get a surprise win here or there (split with NE, decimate NO's awful defense in Metlife, etc.) and get 7/8 wins.

Tampa Bay (win)
    @New England (loss)
    Buffalo (win)
    @Tennessee (win)
    @Atlanta (loss)
    Pittsburgh (loss/win)
    New England (loss)
    @Cincinnati (loss)
    New Orleans (loss)
    Bye
    @Buffalo (win)
    @Baltimore (loss)
    Miami (win)
    Oakland (win)
    @Carolina (loss)
    Cleveland (win)
    @Miami (loss)

Simple fact is that the Jets are not a good team in 2013. I think we'll be better in 2014 (8+ picks, bunch of cap room). We should be looking for the Jets to be COMPETITIVE in 2013; not WINNERS. I know the sunshine crew will call me names and tell me I'm not a real fan, blah blah blah, but the simple fact is that we weren't in position (financially) to field a very talented team. We'll be able to do that next year. Besides, the sunflowers think we're SB contenders every single year, anyway, so take that big green pill with a bottle of reality water.
    Steelers 8-8, and Saints 7-9. I'm not buying Carolina, or Cam Newton, especially against Rex. Win two of those 3, and we could have 9, or 10 wins. Schedule has few easy games, but few brutal games either. Impossible to predict this season. Could go either way. I expect almost every game to be a nail biter. Prepare for a cardiac season. I'll be taking a few Valium before each game this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I agree with everything except 5 and 8. Geno needs to start out of the gate and we need a new coach next year.
    Yeah Geno needs to be thrown into the fire, and then needs a new OC every year. Good plan.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both VERY abnormal years for them. I recall the Saints being 8-8, actually. You may not buy the Panthers, but go look at their losses. In the majority of them, they were very close games. So, don't sleep on them against the Jets.

NO is a game that could go very well (we obliterate their sorry ass defense), or very bad (Brees, Sproles, and Graham exploit our Ds biggest weaknesses: Rushing the QB, stopping the run, and covering big TEs). Pittsburgh, imo, will be ok if they can keep Big Ben upright. They are, admittedly, my wildcard/swing team for that reason, though.

I said earlier this week that I see us at about 6-7 wins. Maybe we get a surprise game or two and end up at 7-8 wins. Who knows. I think our peak is 9 wins, but I believe 6-7 wins to be more likely.

If that doesn't happen and we win 11+, AWESOME! I'm hoping we do just that. However, I'm not expecting that, and for good reason. 2014, on the other hand, the Jets could very well be a 5th seed team/division winner (if NE takes a step back and we improve). I'm not saying we WILL, but I believe the potential will be there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Yeah Geno needs to be thrown into the fire, and then needs a new OC every year. Good plan.
    If in his 5th year, he still can't grasp the concept of keeping two hands on the ball, then sure.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, I love delusional Sanchez haters

No, Smith doesn't need to start out of the game, that is absolutely moronic.

Smith needs to EARN the job to start out of the gate, either QB needs to earn the job. Period!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the only way Smith starts out the gate is if he shows a firm grasp of the playbook and he shows improvement on his drops. The thing that I always liked about Smith that seriously might win him the competition out of the gate, regardless of those two other things I mentioned, is his quick throwing release and his accuracy with in anything under twenty yards which is perfect traits for the WCO. Don't get me wrong I think he can chuck it deep but accuracy and quick release is what he is special at.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that both guys need to earn the job. Both have their pros and cons

Smith: New meat, a fresh start, had sustained success in college, has all the tools you want in a QB. Is green as green can be, still learning the playbook, learning the basics needed to be an NFL QB, don't know if you want to baptize him with fire.

Sanchez: Has the experience, has seen the ups and downs of the NFL, is getting a new (seemingly successful) OC. Has shown us that his peak is an 'ok' game-manager, doesn't make the good decisions you think a 5th year vet would make, is prone to making awful mistakes.

I mean, you can make an argument for both of these guys, honestly. Personally, I'd like to see a change at QB so that I don't have to watch Sanchez (likely) embarrass us, himself, and the QB position anymore.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on the positive side, 9-10 wins, but please without holMEs. He's just stretching the paychecks and will never be back, I hope anyway.

Neither holMEs or Sanchez HAS to come back, they are both filthy rich. But look at the difference in attitude.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    If in his 5th year, he still can't grasp the concept of keeping two hands on the ball, then sure.
    If Geno is anywhere around ready to start I'd start him. If not then Sanchez, or MacElroy should start. Johnny"apple"sd says Geno should start no matter what, and then we should fire the coaches next year, also no matter what. If Geno does start, then the stupidest thing you could do would be to change coaching staffs in year two. That's all I'm saying. People need to get over themselves. With no OC, and no QB Rex has kept this team together, and he's only a puppy himself. Firing him might be the dumbest thing the Jets have done, and they have quite a history of stupid things. Rex would be snatched up in a second, and make us look like new Browns of HCing decision makers.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 07-21-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    If Geno is anywhere around ready to start I'd start him. If not then Sanchez, or MacElroy should start, but if Geno does start then the stupidest thing you could do would be to change coaching staffs in year two. That's all I'm saying. People need to get over themselves. With no OC, and no QB Rex has kept this team together, and he's only a puppy himself. Firing him might be the dumbest thing the Jets have done, and they have quite a history of stupid things. Rex would be snatched up in a second, and make us look like new Browns of HCing decision makers.
    I personally don't believe Rex is going anywhere if we're competitive in games. I hear people saying, "OH, WELL HE NEEDS TO GO 16-0 IF DA LAME DUCK WRECKS WANTS TO KEEP HIS JOB, DOE!". Bs. If this team is competitive and is IN games with an opportunity to win, even if we lose the majority of our games, Rex will be here in 2014 and beyond.

I recall the "lame duck coach" tag being applied to Ron Rivera last year. His team didn't win but 7 games, yet he's still with Carolina. Why? Well, take a look at their losses.

@Tampa: 10-16
    @Atlanta: 28-30
    Seattle: 12-16
    Dallas: 14-19
    @Chicago: 22-23
    Tampa: 21-27
    @KC: 21-27

So, they were in these games. A bounce of the ball here, a call there, etc. So, I believe the same will go for Rex. If the team plays somewhat well and we're IN these games and aren't just getting blown out, there's no reason to think Rex isn't here in 2014 and beyond.