Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JETS sign QB Geno Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Yeah man, how'd ya guess off one spit?

Who'd of guessed cas is a Jet fan?
    Is he pretty big over there?
    Nobody really knows about him in the US.
    Dude's pretty crazy and I like his beats.

Hall Of Fame
    Geno Smith deal ties big money to workout bonuses
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 22, 2013,

If any NFL agents are thinking about writing rap lyrics bashing Jay-Z, they now have a little ammunition.

Per a source with knowledge of the details of the deal, Jets quarterback Geno Smith’s contract ties nearly $700,000 to Smith participating in the team’s offseason voluntary workout program.

Specifically, $276,328 of Smith’s $861,328 compensation in 2015 depends on Smith showing up for the otherwise voluntary offseason drills. In 2016, $414,491 of Smith’s $1.08 million compensation in 2016 is tied to working out in the offseason.

Typically, players must participate in 80 percent of the offseason workouts to earn the bonus. For Smith, this puts extra pressure on him to be able and willing to show up and work out in the final two years of his deal. If he fails to meet the minimums, he’ll potentially lose hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It’s not unprecedented for the Jets to use workout bonuses in rookie deals, but the amounts have been much lower. Last year, for example, second-round receiver Stephen Hill had $50,000 tied to workout participation in 2013, and $100,000 each in 2014 and 2015. Still, some will look at the decision to tie nearly $700,000 of compensation to Smith’s decision to show up and work out as an indication that the Jets are concerned that, without a clear financial incentive to put in the work, Smith won’t.

The clause also sets up inexperienced agent Kim Miale and her boss, Jay-Z, for criticism from the agent community, which tends to criticize anyone and anything if it means helping them expand their portfolio of clients. In this specific case, given the details of the rookie deals signed by the players taken before and after Smith, the criticism may be justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Is he pretty big over there?
    Nobody really knows about him in the US.
    Dude's pretty crazy and I like his beats.
    He's pretty big here on the underground scene, you got to go dig his beats out, keeps himself away from the wider public and is not mainstream at all.

You heard drugs don't work? Great tune, provided a link if you have not.
    http://youtu.be/owlwpnNC6hU

Kudos on knowing who he is not being big in the states, great find.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Geno Smith deal ties big money to workout bonuses
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 22, 2013,

If any NFL agents are thinking about writing rap lyrics bashing Jay-Z, they now have a little ammunition.

Per a source with knowledge of the details of the deal, Jets quarterback Geno Smith’s contract ties nearly $700,000 to Smith participating in the team’s offseason voluntary workout program.

Specifically, $276,328 of Smith’s $861,328 compensation in 2015 depends on Smith showing up for the otherwise voluntary offseason drills. In 2016, $414,491 of Smith’s $1.08 million compensation in 2016 is tied to working out in the offseason.

Typically, players must participate in 80 percent of the offseason workouts to earn the bonus. For Smith, this puts extra pressure on him to be able and willing to show up and work out in the final two years of his deal. If he fails to meet the minimums, he’ll potentially lose hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It’s not unprecedented for the Jets to use workout bonuses in rookie deals, but the amounts have been much lower. Last year, for example, second-round receiver Stephen Hill had $50,000 tied to workout participation in 2013, and $100,000 each in 2014 and 2015. Still, some will look at the decision to tie nearly $700,000 of compensation to Smith’s decision to show up and work out as an indication that the Jets are concerned that, without a clear financial incentive to put in the work, Smith won’t.

The clause also sets up inexperienced agent Kim Miale and her boss, Jay-Z, for criticism from the agent community, which tends to criticize anyone and anything if it means helping them expand their portfolio of clients. In this specific case, given the details of the rookie deals signed by the players taken before and after Smith, the criticism may be justified.

Here's my response to Florio's analysis that will likely get removed from PFT website:

Mike – that is one spin on the contract language, as expected you took the negative spin.

Another spin on the contract language is that it can be very favorable Geno who now has very easily attainable incentives for guaranteed money late in the contract.

Suppose 2015 and 2016 roll around and Geno is a bust? He is nothing more then a 2nd or 3rd string QB. The Jets could easily cut him in any of those years. But….if he’s around for those offseason workouts he still gets that money.

I don’t see how obtaining a contract with easily attainable incentives is a bad deal for a player or reflects badly on the agent.

Would you rather have guaranteed money tied to winning the Superbowl and/or making the Pro-Bowl – or have it tied to the player showing up to a few offseason workouts that most players attend anyway?

He's pretty big here on the underground scene, you got to go dig his beats out, keeps himself away from the wider public and is not mainstream at all.

Wow that was cool, thanx for posting. Sounds alot like Jermain Defoe!LOL Thought I saw an N17 sign in the video, that may explain it......

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Here's my response to Florio's analysis that will likely get removed from PFT website:
    Good response. I found Florio's spin to be a bit unfounded as well, thats why I posted that article.

It didnt take long for Cimini to run with it as well.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Report: Geno's deal tied to workouts: Interesting wrinkle in Geno Smith's four-year, $5 million contract:

Abo... http://tinyurl.com/lahutfm
    Report: Geno's deal tied to workouts

Interesting wrinkle in Geno Smith's four-year, $5 million contract:

About $690,000 is tied to his participation in the voluntary off-season program, according to ProFootballTalk.com. It comes into play during the final two years of the deal. In 2015, $276,328 of his $861,328 salary hinges on him showing up for at least 80 percent of the workouts. In 2016, it's $414,491 of $1.08 million. Essentially, they're workout bonuses in lieu of guaranteed base salaries.

This sort of thing isn't unprecedented in rookie contracts (the Jets did it last year with WR Stephen Hill), but this is getting more attention because it was the first deal negotiated by Jay Z's Roc Nation Sports.

It's being speculated the Jets wanted to include the workout language because they're concerned about Smith's desire to participate in the offseason. While that can't be ruled out, the more logical reason is that it allowed the two sides to bridge a gap in the negotiations.

Smith was drafted in the second round, same as QBs Colin Kaepernick and Andy Dalton in 2011, and he was playing off their contracts, seeking guaranteed money in the third year. GM John Idzik was opposed to that. The workout "bonus" allows Smith to earn easy money (as long as he shows up) before the start of the season. But it's not guaranteed. If they cut him before he completes the off-season program, he gets nothing. Also, as we learned with Darrelle Revis, Idzik won't cut him any slack if he misses workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by mtrjets View Post
    Wow that was cool, thanx for posting. Sounds alot like Jermain Defoe!LOL Thought I saw an N17 sign in the video, that may explain it......
    A lot of conspiracy about the man behind the mask, if you are guessing its Defoe who am I to say it isn't lol!

Yeah! Great stuff. I'm always checking out his youtube channel to look for new stuff.

Yeah! Great stuff. I'm always checking out his youtube channel to look for new stuff.
    Just out of interest, how did you stumble upon his tunes in the first place?

Ill keep you posted if I hear anything fresh off the wire over here.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Good response. I found Florio's spin to be a bit unfounded as well, thats why I posted that article.

It didnt take long for Cimini to run with it as well.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Report: Geno's deal tied to workouts: Interesting wrinkle in Geno Smith's four-year, $5 million contract:

Abo... http://tinyurl.com/lahutfm
    Report: Geno's deal tied to workouts

Interesting wrinkle in Geno Smith's four-year, $5 million contract:

About $690,000 is tied to his participation in the voluntary off-season program, according to ProFootballTalk.com. It comes into play during the final two years of the deal. In 2015, $276,328 of his $861,328 salary hinges on him showing up for at least 80 percent of the workouts. In 2016, it's $414,491 of $1.08 million. Essentially, they're workout bonuses in lieu of guaranteed base salaries.

This sort of thing isn't unprecedented in rookie contracts (the Jets did it last year with WR Stephen Hill), but this is getting more attention because it was the first deal negotiated by Jay Z's Roc Nation Sports.

It's being speculated the Jets wanted to include the workout language because they're concerned about Smith's desire to participate in the offseason. While that can't be ruled out, the more logical reason is that it allowed the two sides to bridge a gap in the negotiations.

Smith was drafted in the second round, same as QBs Colin Kaepernick and Andy Dalton in 2011, and he was playing off their contracts, seeking guaranteed money in the third year. GM John Idzik was opposed to that. The workout "bonus" allows Smith to earn easy money (as long as he shows up) before the start of the season. But it's not guaranteed. If they cut him before he completes the off-season program, he gets nothing. Also, as we learned with Darrelle Revis, Idzik won't cut him any slack if he misses workouts.

As I suspected, my response has already been taken down by PFT. God forbid logic gets in the way of any attempt to bash Geno, the Jets and Jay-Z.

Just out of interest, how did you stumble upon his tunes in the first place?

Ill keep you posted if I hear anything fresh off the wire over here.
    I'm a bassist. My best friend (drummer) makes beats. We were writing a lot of stuff together and he turned me onto Cas.
    I'm a lot more into the underground (real) stuff.

I'm a bassist. My best friend (drummer) makes beats. We were writing a lot of stuff together and he turned me onto Cas.
    I'm a lot more into the underground (real) stuff.
    Awesome...me to, can't stand anything to popular that all the sheep are into lol!

You in a band then? Got a link to any of your stuff?

Next step in moving forward cant wait to see what he can do.

Awesome...me to, can't stand anything to popular that all the sheep are into lol!

You in a band then? Got a link to any of your stuff?
    At the moment, no. But here's a link to a couple of beats we were looking to set an MC up with last year. Mainly unmastered loops.

No idea if anything came of it... Honestly, I think they're kind of our weaker ones, but they would've fit for whatever it was... lol.

http://www.destroblackout.com/

At the moment, no. But here's a link to a couple of beats we were looking to set an MC up with last year. Mainly unmastered loops.

No idea if anything came of it... Honestly, I think they're kind of our weaker ones, but they would've fit for whatever it was... lol.

http://www.destroblackout.com/
    Great stuff, me and my mates like the underground scene a lot and often go to gigs etc, as of yet not started to make anything of our own but it's something i would like to try or get into.

If you here anything similar to cas or produce something of your own worth a listen, give me a shout or pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    As I suspected, my response has already been taken down by PFT. God forbid logic gets in the way of any attempt to bash Geno, the Jets and Jay-Z.
    Did it really? What an *******.

These hacks deserve to be exposed, instead, too many buy into their bull****.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Next step in moving forward cant wait to see what he can do.
    Jets have never had an athletic strong-armed qb. The last time we sorta came close was when Vinny had that amazing year in 1998. Since then it's been one unathletic, weak armed scrub after another. I love Geno's athleticism and while he may not have a bazooka he's still got more arm strength then probably any qb we've had the last 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    So you are unaware that he is considered a very good blocker?

Hill and Thomas were both 3 star WR's according to rivals and both a 5.6 rating coming out of High School. Thomas was ranked 56 and Hill 99 which isn't a big difference considering a kid like Mcknight was a 5 star high school player that was the 2nd highest rated player in his class.

The point is that we all knew Hill was raw and needed some development. But we all live in the "GIVE IT TO ME NOW" age and have zero patience for a kid that doesn't turn into a super star after 1 year. I am not saying Hill is the next Jerry Rice, but since we all knew he was raw coming out of college, can we give him more than 11 games before coming to conclusions?
    Not that it matters at this point, but Thomas was a better prospect than Hill coming out. Being the 58th ranked WR (not overall player) coming out is a lot better than being the 99th ranked WR coming out. Thomas was also recruited by better schools -- Georgia, South Carolina, etc.

I just don't see how Hill can be good. He has no instincts, ball skills, can't catch, has no idea how to use his size. I mean, Tyrone Calico was a hell of an athlete too. Look at how that one turned out.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Because he's an athlete trying to play WR. Other than running in a straight line, he doesn't do anything particularly well. Lal, who is a good coach, thinks Hill has something to work with, so maybe Hill will be pretty good. I don't think so, though.

And for those making the Demaryius Thomas comparisons, please stop. It's not an accurate comparison. Chan Gailey recruited Thomas and Thomas was actually recruited to play WR in a real offense. And he did. Hill was recruited by Paul Johnson and only played in the triple option.
    More great detective work there Kimmy. He does be big and tall pretty well. He does jump really well, and does time those jumps to get the ball at it's high point. He does turn without losing speed very well. He blocks very well. He uses his body to shield defenders very well. He doesn't snatch the ball particularly well, but his hands are not as bad as you SOJFs say. 6 drops. Not 6 per game as you people would have us think. He doesn't run precise routes as of the last time I saw him, but he was much better than the beginning of the year, and that was completely understandable, and well known before the draft. That aspect really is teachable, and has a high probability of happening this year. He needs to learn to snatch the ball with his hands. He may not ever become great at it, but even if he's just okay he'll be a very good player. He has that much raw ability. If he learns to catch properly he has the potential to be an all time great. That's why he was worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Not that it matters at this point, but Thomas was a better prospect than Hill coming out. Being the 58th ranked WR (not overall player) coming out is a lot better than being the 99th ranked WR coming out. Thomas was also recruited by better schools -- Georgia, South Carolina, etc.

I just don't see how Hill can be good. He has no instincts, ball skills, can't catch, has no idea how to use his size. I mean, Tyrone Calico was a hell of an athlete too. Look at how that one turned out.
    wasn't joe mcknight the #1 prospect in the nation coming out of high school? a lot can happen between HS and NFL. as for hill he has shown flashes-- ladanian tomlinson was hyping hill up as a #1 WR after the buffalo game last year. hill is a project but he's got all the tools to be a special player