Practice Squad

JETS sign QB Geno Smith

Per Jets offical web site :

Jets Sign QB Geno Smith
    Posted 13 hours ago

Randy Lange
    Editor-in-Chief, newyorkjets.com

@rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar
    a a The New York Jets have signed Geno Smith, their second-round rookie quarterback out of West Virginia.

The team has not commented on terms of the contract.

Head coach Rex Ryan said on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Friday that the coming training camp battle between Smith and fifth-year incumbent Mark Sanchez "is an open competition, I don't think there's any doubt."

The Jets' QBs, rookies and injured reserve players from last season report to the Atlantic Health Training Center in Florham Park, N.J., today for their conditioning tests. The full squad reports to Cortland on Thursday and the first full-squad practice of camp is set for Friday, July 26, at 10 a.m.

With Smith agreeing to terms, the Jets have two remaining draft choices to sign their two first-rounders, CB Dee Milliner out of Alabama and DL Sheldon Richardson from Missouri.

Practice Squad
    RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Smith's contract will be about $5M over four years. Rookies due to report today. Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson still unsigned. #Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Yale1087 View Post
    RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Smith's contract will be about $5M over four years. Rookies due to report today. Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson still unsigned. #Jets
    if he can really become a franchise type QB, this is a great bargain...and i would have no issue giving him more $$ after a few years at this rate.

Practice Squad
    I totally agree. Everyone who rips the Jets for taking a chance with him IN THE 2ND ROUND is just stupid. Like you said, what a bargain IF he turns out to be great, and if not, what is 5 mil over 4 years in the NFL really?!!?

All Pro
    I totally agree. Everyone who rips the Jets for taking a chance with him IN THE 2ND ROUND is just stupid. Like you said, what a bargain IF he turns out to be great, and if not, what is 5 mil over 4 years in the NFL really?!!?
    We have wasted more money on guys who didn't even see the field. With the Jets expect the worst and hope for the best!

+1

Geno's value at 2nd round > Hill, Ducasse

Hall Of Fame
    J

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by djaparz View Post
    We have wasted more money on guys who didn't even see the field. With the Jets expect the worst and hope for the best!
    We certainly peed away as much or more on a total piece of crap pretending to be QB last season in Teblow

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Moreno Valley View Post
    +1

Geno's value at 2nd round > Hill, Ducasse
    I really don't get why seemingly everyone is giving up on Hill after his rookie season.

WR's in general usually take 2-3 years to acclimate to the pro game and Hill was raw as hell coming out of college.

The kid clearly has a boatload of talent. He just needs to learn how to catch the ball with his hands instead of his chest.

6'4 receivers with 4.3 speed that can actually block don't exactly grow on trees.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I really don't get why seemingly everyone is giving up on Hill after his rookie season.

WR's in general usually take 2-3 years to acclimate to the pro game and Hill was raw as hell coming out of college.

The kid clearly has a boatload of talent. He just needs to learn how to catch the ball with his hands instead of his chest.

6'4 receivers with 4.3 speed that can actually block don't exactly grow on trees.
    It's just Dumb. They did the same with Kerley. Demariyus Thomas and Hill had identical Rookie seasons

Jets Insider VIP
    5 million is enough to give him some financial security while making him want get better and earn more. If he shows he can play, I think he gets a new long term contract but that may take a few seasons. Good job Jets.

I certainly hope you're right, but the if he he still doesn't know how to catch with his hands instead of his body after playing high school and college football, I'm not sure he's suddenly going to learn how.

My 10 year old son plays Pee Wee football and he always catches with his hands!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    It's just Dumb. They did the same with Kerley. Demariyus Thomas and Hill had identical Rookie seasons
    And if there was an internet back in the day they would have run Wesley Walker out of town.

He dropped more open field passes than any WR I remember.

Exactly and his numbers are extremely close to Demaryius Thomas who was in an almost identical situation coming out of college. Reality is that although Hill did drop some passes, Sanchez just stopped throwing his way and Hill was wide open a lot. I still believe Hill will be an elite NFL receiver assuming we bench Buttfumble Headband

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    And if there was an internet back in the day they would have run Wesley Walker out of town. He dropped more open field passes than any WR I remember.
    Believe me there were Debbie Downers after the 77 draft that said only the Jets would waste a 2nd rd pick on a w/r that's blind in one eye..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Believe me there were Debbie Downers after the 77 draft that said only the Jets would waste a 2nd rd pick on a w/r that's blind in one eye..
    Remember that well. He dropped everything it seemed.

Wr's need time...sucks for those who need instant gratification.

Not giving up on Hill, stating the fact the Geno's value in round 2 is higher than Hill's and Ducasse.

Bargains are great and all but if he turns out to be great, that contract is getting ripped up after year 2 and he'll get bigger money.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Bargains are great and all but if he turns out to be great, that contract is getting ripped up after year 2 and he'll get bigger money.
    Per new CBA contracts can't be touched until after Year 3. That makes it an even better bargain if he is good. Only down side is that we won't have control over him for a fifth year like we would if he was a first rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    And that's totally perfect. The Giants fiddled around with Cruz and there are many other instances. I am just glad that there is a rookie pool, I still can't get over Gholston and others who milked the system.