Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JETS sign QB Geno Smith

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Bargains are great and all but if he turns out to be great, that contract is getting ripped up after year 2 and he'll get bigger money.
    And if that were the case with Smith, that he earned a huge pay increase we should all dance in the street.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I really don't get why seemingly everyone is giving up on Hill after his rookie season.

WR's in general usually take 2-3 years to acclimate to the pro game and Hill was raw as hell coming out of college.

The kid clearly has a boatload of talent. He just needs to learn how to catch the ball with his hands instead of his chest.

6'4 receivers with 4.3 speed that can actually block don't exactly grow on trees.
    Because he's an athlete trying to play WR. Other than running in a straight line, he doesn't do anything particularly well. Lal, who is a good coach, thinks Hill has something to work with, so maybe Hill will be pretty good. I don't think so, though.

And for those making the Demaryius Thomas comparisons, please stop. It's not an accurate comparison. Chan Gailey recruited Thomas and Thomas was actually recruited to play WR in a real offense. And he did. Hill was recruited by Paul Johnson and only played in the triple option.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Because he's an athlete trying to play WR. Other than running in a straight line, he doesn't do anything particularly well.
    So you are unaware that he is considered a very good blocker?

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    And for those making the Demaryius Thomas comparisons, please stop. It's not an accurate comparison. Chan Gailey recruited Thomas and Thomas was actually recruited to play WR in a real offense. And he did. Hill was recruited by Paul Johnson and only played in the triple option.
    Hill and Thomas were both 3 star WR's according to rivals and both a 5.6 rating coming out of High School. Thomas was ranked 56 and Hill 99 which isn't a big difference considering a kid like Mcknight was a 5 star high school player that was the 2nd highest rated player in his class.

The point is that we all knew Hill was raw and needed some development. But we all live in the "GIVE IT TO ME NOW" age and have zero patience for a kid that doesn't turn into a super star after 1 year. I am not saying Hill is the next Jerry Rice, but since we all knew he was raw coming out of college, can we give him more than 11 games before coming to conclusions?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great to have him signed for peanuts, if he is the real deal we got a steal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Great to have him signed for peanuts, if he is the real deal we got a steal.
    You be rappin' Harrier

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    You be rappin' Harrier
    Lol just rolled off the tongue with no effort, you diggin my flow EM?

Pure Landan underground right there lol!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some receivers with the dropsies get over that and put it behind them. Many others do not. Just because Wesley walker managed to do that does not mean that Stephen Hill will do the same. Right now hill has bad hands until he shows that he doesn't. There are also not an unlimited number of chances for him to get it right here.

Nobody at this point has said to give up on him. That is a rhetorical fabrication by the group of posters here who seem to get off on calling everyone SOJFs. Not all receivers have bad hands coming into the NFL. Not even a majority of them do. Hill did not do well his first year and he needs to step up and show better or the discussion this time next year WILL be about the Bust word.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Lol just rolled off the tongue with no effort, you diggin my flow EM?

Pure Landan underground right there lol!
    Are you Casisdead????

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some receivers with the dropsies get over that and put it behind them. Many others do not. Just because Wesley walker managed to do that does not mean that Stephen Hill will do the same. Right now hill has bad hands until he shows that he doesn't. There are also not an unlimited number of chances for him to get it right here.

Nobody at this point has said to give up on him. That is a rhetorical fabrication by the group of posters here who seem to get off on calling everyone SOJFs. Not all receivers have bad hands coming into the NFL. Not even a majority of them do. Hill did not do well his first year and he needs to step up and show better or the discussion this time next year WILL be about the Bust word.
    A lot of it was Buttfumble Headband. He throws one of the least catchable balls in the NFL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    A lot of it was Buttfumble Headband. He throws one of the least catchable balls in the NFL.
    Bullsh_t name one defense that had a problem with his passes..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Are you Casisdead????
    Yeah man, how'd ya guess off one spit?

Who'd of guessed cas is a Jet fan?
    Last edited by Harrier; 07-22-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Bargains are great and all but if he turns out to be great, that contract is getting ripped up after year 2 and he'll get bigger money.
    Let's hope we have that problem.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez throws more hospital passes than any QB I have even seen but in the case of Hill some of those were pretty egregious drops.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be more worried about Hill if he couldn't get open, but that is certainly not an issue with him. And we've seen him make great catches, in college and the NFL. So I think, eventually, the drops will become less of an issue. He had a great opener last year. I think we will see that more often in year 2

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Never said that. i was the one who brought up Walker and my point was that if there was an internet in the late 70's fans like the ones here would have ran Walker out of town calling him a bum.

And plenty have called him a bust already, a wasted pick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think most defensive players in the NFL might disagree with you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Never said that. i was the one who brought up Walker and my point was that if there was an internet in the late 70's fans like the ones here would have ran Walker out of town calling him a bum.

And plenty have called him a bust already, a wasted pick.
    I have seen a bunch of disappointed posters but nobody on the bust wagon quite yet. Perhaps they are there and I just missed them.

Just strike one at this point. No more than that but also no less than that either.

<edited to add>

This conversation somewhat mirrors the "Joe McKnight is a fumbler" conversation where in year-1 it was too early and in year-2 it was also too early but now after three years and his rate of putting the rock on the floor has not changed. At this point he is assumed by me to be a chronic and convicted fumbler of the ball who simply was not able to correct this problem.
    Last edited by EM31; 07-22-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets signed this BUST?!

WTF! What a joke! Rex needs to be fired IMMEDIATELY!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ofcourse this DIVA waited till the last day to sign!! Drama Queen!!

Good that he's signed, we can now move onto the QB competition without thing hanging over his head.

On the Hill topic, I honestly don't think Hill's HANDS are the problem. I think it's his feet. If you watch his catches, his feet don't seem set, he seems to catch it in awkward positions because he is either afraid of contact or thinking too much about running down the field. In the combine and in practice, apparently he has really good hands and catches everything. But in game situations, I think his set up is messed up enough that he catches balls at awkward angles or lacks concentration because he's not used to catching in traffic. I believe at GT, most of his catches were screens behind the line (where he could just turn towards the QB) or deep throws that he ran under. I think his problems are when he has to cut, find the ball, and then make a move to evade the hit, that he loses his concentration because his feet set up for the middle routes aren't natural to him yet.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    Ofcourse this DIVA waited till the last day to sign!! Drama Queen!!

Good that he's signed, we can now move onto the QB competition without thing hanging over his head.

On the Hill topic, I honestly don't think Hill's HANDS are the problem. I think it's his feet. If you watch his catches, his feet don't seem set, he seems to catch it in awkward positions because he is either afraid of contact or thinking too much about running down the field. In the combine and in practice, apparently he has really good hands and catches everything. But in game situations, I think his set up is messed up enough that he catches balls at awkward angles or lacks concentration because he's not used to catching in traffic. I believe at GT, most of his catches were screens behind the line (where he could just turn towards the QB) or deep throws that he ran under. I think his problems are when he has to cut, find the ball, and then make a move to evade the hit, that he loses his concentration because his feet set up for the middle routes aren't natural to him yet.
    This was something I brought up last season. As with most rookies they need to adjust to the speed of the game. A lot of his issues were that he was feeling pressure where there wasnt any, or he simply was looking to run before he caught the ball. I do not think his hands are as bad as they are being made out to be.