Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too bad for the Rex haters, He ain't going anywhere.

All League

Too bad for the Rex haters, He ain't going anywhere.

And I love it
    Playoffs or not, Rex Ryan's job with NY Jets appears safe for now

The Jets aren’t expected to be playoff contenders in 2013, but Rex Ryan’s future with the franchise may not be tied to a postseason berth.

Owner Woody Johnson’s decision to fire general manager Mike Tannenbaum and keep the head coach after a 6-10 season raised questions about whether Ryan, who is under contract through the 2014 season, will be a lame duck this year. Unlike the Chicago Bears, whose new general manager, Phil Emery, fired the coach he inherited, Lovie Smith, after the team missed the playoffs despite finishing 10-6 in 2013, Johnson would probably be ecstatic if Ryan led the talent-strapped Jets to an above .500 record after last year’s disaster.

“I’m not worried about being a lame-duck guy,” Ryan recently told the Daily News as the Jets’ offseason program came to an end. “I’m not worried about that. I am not. I look at this as an opportunity. . . . Look, I’m disappointed in the product that we put on the field (in 2012) both personally (and for) our fans. Because I’m a Jet fan. I’m no different than anybody else.

. . . So I know they’re disappointed. I know they’re ticked off at how we played last year. And I’m sure they’re upset at me and rightfully so.

“At the end of the day, we’ll see what happens,” he added. “I’m certainly not worried about it. In fact, I’m doing just the opposite. I can’t wait. I’m popping out of my skin, because I feel in my heart I know what it’s going to look like.”

First-year general manager John Idzik, who gutted the roster this offseason, will have an important say in Ryan’s future, but Johnson will make the final call to keep or fire the coach after the season.

RELATED: JETS PLACE HOLMES ON PUP LIST AHEAD OF TRAINING CAMP

Not long ago, Ryan was kicking butt, taking names and telling everyone who was next on his list. His self-confidence, coupled with the Jets’ early success, emboldened him and helped changed the culture of the franchise.

Two consecutive disappointing seasons have humbled Ryan. The toned-down version of Ryan isn’t a result of any directive from his superiors. However, Rex 2.0 (sans outrageous predictions) has been well-received in the organization and viewed as the next step in the evolution of his leadership.

Robert Sabo/New York Daily News

Despite toning down his act, Rex Ryan remains as confident as ever.

Ryan is 38-32 with four road playoff wins and two AFC Championship Game appearances, but his head-coaching accomplishments have been front-loaded. He went 22-13 (.629) in his first 35 games and 16-19 (.457) in his next 35.

Ryan says he has learned valuable lessons from the team’s recent failures — the Jets have lost 13 of their last 19 games — but he’s no longer interested in revisiting last season.

“I don’t even give a s--- about last year,” said Ryan, whose team begins training camp in Cortland on Thursday. “I’m tired of talking about it.”

His players have remained loyal throughout the turbulence. For all the criticism surrounding the Jets last season, Ryan’s players never quit on him. So the perception that Ryan is coaching for his job is nothing but white noise.

RELATED: CUNDIFF IN FOR KICKS WITH JETS

“Who cares about all that?” Pro Bowl cornerback Antonio Cromartie told The News.

“There’s no such thing as a hot seat. You just got to go out and win games. . . . He’s beyond the right guy for the job. I think everybody that’s here wants to come in and play for Rex. That’s what it’s really all about. When you get guys to buy into Rex’s system and what he’s doing and what he’s saying, then you can go out there and play better.”

Ryan’s sense of urgency was reflected in his decision to reclaim the defense for this pivotal season. He may have given former defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman the title, but make no mistake: Ryan will be the de facto defensive coordinator now that Mike Pettine is gone.

“I’ll be in every single meeting,” Ryan said. “I will run every single meeting. I’ll do it all. Every bit of it. Just like I did the first year when I came here. Every single bit of it.”

Ron Antonelli

After last year's disappointing season, Rex Ryan promises to be a more hands-on coach.

Ryan admittedly became too detached from the defense last season. The Jets have finished first, third, fifth and eighth in total defense under Ryan. However, the Jets finished 20th in scoring defense for the second consecutive season after leading the league in 2009.

“I’ll do it . . . run every script,” Ryan said of the weekly defensive game-plan preparations. “Just what I’ve done in the past. That’s the way it’s going to be. The reason for it is that’s really who I am. I’m sure 99% of the coaches would be better at doing things differently than me. But the way I need to do things to be successful is to be hands-on on the defense and be in every single meeting and every single thing that there is. Is that possible being the head coach? It is. My first two years, we did it.”

RELATED: GENO SIGNS ON DOTTED LINE WITH JETS

Ryan also made it clear that he won’t lose sight of the other side of the ball. New offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg will have freedom to mold the offense, but one of Ryan’s themes will be “making sure my message is clear” with that unit.

His public persona is likely to be much different this season.

“Through fines and everything else, you’re probably right,” Ryan said about him sounding and acting a lot more like a typical NFL head coach these days. “You learn from experience. Sometimes you learn from mistakes. And I clearly made some mistakes.”

Ryan says that the new faces —nine new assistants and 10 new starters — have energized him. He wants to teach, but the Jets appear to lack sufficient talent to realistically be a playoff contender this season.

“I got this position not just by my own talent, but the talents of people around me,” Ryan said. “The players are the ones that got me this job. Well, the players are going to be the guys that keep me as well. . . . That’s why I can walk out confidently no matter what public perception is.”

Twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

Buy Jets Tickets

Hall Of Fame
    Dude, read the first line of the article. "appears safe for now".

One thing we know about Woody, he is responsive to the media/fans. Most of all, he is responsive to the empty seats.

I found it funny that Rex feels like he became too detached from the defense in 2012. LOLz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SoWNMNKNeM

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    And I love it

There's not a single quote from Idzik or Johnson in there. THere's not even a quote that Rex Ryan makes about if he doesn't do well.

The only mention of Jets management tied to Ryan is, "Johnson would probably be ecstatic if Ryan led the talent-strapped Jets to an above .500 record after last year’s disaster."

If the Jets are bad, Rex will be fired, if the Jets are 9-7 next year or better, he stays. I'd guess that if we took a poll on here and said, "How many wins does Rex need to have to retain his job next season", I'd bet the majority would say 8 or more.
    Also, as bad as things were last year, the Jets were 6-10, usually "disasters" are your 2 or 3 win seasons. 6 is a bad season, but "disaster" seems a bit excessive.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    There's not a single quote from Idzik or Johnson in there. THere's not even a quote that Rex Ryan makes about if he doesn't do well.
    That is really the most salient point in this pile of crap from.Manure Mehta. Unlike the past, he and Semen and the rest of the jackals have no quotes and not even any "unnamed sauces" (with Pettine shuffled to Buffalo) and apparently now have to pull stuff out of there arses that nobody but pat fans such as DeeDee are buying

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    That is really the most salient point in this pile of crap from.Manure Mehta. Unlike the past, he and Semen and the rest of the jackals have no quotes and not even any "unnamed sauces" (with Pettine shuffled to Buffalo) and apparently now have to pull stuff out of there arses that nobody but pat fans such as DeeDee are buying
    Where in my reply did you get the idea that I was buying that Rex is safe? The article is just pure speculation b.c Man**** probably had to put something together for his editor. And the only criticism I made of Rex came from a direct quote.

Keep pulling stuff out of your @ss.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post

The only mention of Jets management tied to Ryan is, "Johnson would probably be ecstatic if Ryan led the talent-strapped Jets to an above .500 record after last year’s disaster."

If the Jets are bad, Rex will be fired, if the Jets are 9-7 next year or better, he stays. I'd guess that if we took a poll on here and said, "How many wins does Rex need to have to retain his job next season", I'd bet the majority would say 8 or more.
    Also, as bad as things were last year, the Jets were 6-10, usually "disasters" are your 2 or 3 win seasons. 6 is a bad season, but "disaster" seems a bit excessive.
    This 100%

You saved me writing a response. Thank you!!!

All League
    No Quotes, but the key is that Woody knows this may be a 6 win season. Bottom line is that the owner knows he has a talented coach and wants him here long term. Smart money is on Rex being here in 2014

Hall Of Fame
    Rex is a dead man walking. He gets 2013 as a way to give Idzik and 2nd honeymoon year. Smart move actually.

All Pro
    I like Rex. But in my opinion is that it should not all ride on this season. Rex should have either fired last season or now given more than a one season make or break with new GM and coaching staff.

If this team plays hard, avoids multiple stupid mistakes, there are limited coaching blunders, and this team wins 6-8 games, Rex will keep his job.

If the team is atrocious, quits mid games and midseason, and everyone starts finger pointing, Rex is gone.

Rex is talented, but still makes major mistakes. I don't mind that he talks to the media, cracks jokes, and is somewhat honest. I do mind when he doesn't know when to throw challenge flags, wastes timeouts, and doesn't use the players appropriately. Nobody is perfect and I do not ask the coach to be perfect. I do believe in Rex, and hope he succeeds, but if it does not go well, count me in to have him thrown out the door.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I found it funny that Rex feels like he became too detached from the defense in 2012
    Nothing like having a coach who was detached from the offense and defense for an entire year. Where was he attached? Special teams?

Dead man walking.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Dude, read the first line of the article. "appears safe for now".

One thing we know about Woody, he is responsive to the media/fans. Most of all, he is responsive to the empty seats.

I found it funny that Rex feels like he became too detached from the defense in 2012. LOLz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SoWNMNKNeM

Rex is one of most interesting coaches in the league. Brilliant DC, very mediocre, almost non-existent head coach. Loved him the first year and much of the second, but I feel he has really regressed as a head coach the last 2 years and do not see him improving.

That article is !00% speculation. We have a rough opening schedule if we start of the first half of the season with only 1 or 2 wins I believe Rex will be fired and MM made interim head coach. I truly hope it does not go that way but its possible.

All Pro
    I swear every sports fan should have to take public relations 101..............

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Dead man walking.
    Too easy

Rex wants to be a head coach but he also only wants to coach defense. He's just like his dad. He's back to talking being hands on for defense. All that means is the head coaching for offense, st, and in game coaching will suffer.

I like Rex, he can be a good head coach but i'm not sure if he is really learning from past mistakes. I think he is totally safe for not only this year but for next because the team has low expecations and there is a good chance the jets will surprise in my opinion. Idzik won't mind either because he is in the erarly stages of a rebuild and can go and get his coach in another year or so when he has built up the talent level.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Rex wants to be a head coach but he also only wants to coach defense. He's just like his dad. He's back to talking being hands on for defense. All that means is the head coaching for offense, st, and in game coaching will suffer.

I like Rex, he can be a good head coach but i'm not sure if he is really learning from past mistakes. I think he is totally safe for not only this year but for next because the team has low expecations and there is a good chance the jets will surprise in my opinion. Idzik won't mind either because he is in the erarly stages of a rebuild and can go and get his coach in another year or so when he has built up the talent level.
    Just like Don Shula? Walsh?

Just like pretty much any HC who started as a coordinator?

Think Sean Payton is really deeply a part of the Saints D?

Where do people get this idea that a guy who specializes in either O or D would not continue to be more involved with that unit while delegating the responsibilities of the other unit.

Happens all the time. This is one of those goofy ideas along with a QB has to have a viable backup to excel.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 07-24-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Rex is one of most interesting coaches in the league. Brilliant DC, very mediocre, almost non-existent head coach. Loved him the first year and much of the second, but I feel he has really regressed as a head coach the last 2 years and do not see him improving.

That article is !00% speculation. We have a rough opening schedule if we start of the first half of the season with only 1 or 2 wins I believe Rex will be fired and MM made interim head coach. I truly hope it does not go that way but its possible.
    Translation, I loved him when he had the talent to win and lead them to wins.

As soon as the talent dropped, taking too much time, energy and insight to discuss the drop off I went with the tried and true idiotic method. Blame a central character. It's easy.

BTW, only a completely clueless fan would think that a HC would be fired mid season. Thats as dumb as it gets. How many teams have you seen do this? You realize this is football, not baseball? That schemes can't be chanced, etc mid stream?
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 07-24-2013 at 05:51 PM.