Thread: Invite Everyone to Tryout -- why can't they?

Invite Everyone to Tryout -- why can't they?

Why not just sign Collie and Laurent to practice with the team and if they aren't good enough or too hurt to play, cut'em?

What prevents teams from doing this?

For example, a team that needs a TE. Why not just invite all available FA tight ends -- that haven't found a place to play yet -- to come and tryout?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    Why not just sign Collie and Laurent to practice with the team and if they aren't good enough or too hurt to play, cut'em?

What prevents teams from doing this?

For example, a team that needs a TE. Why not just invite all available FA tight ends -- that haven't found a place to play yet -- to come and tryout?
    There is a 90 man roster limit for pre season, and only players on the roster can practice with the team.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 07-24-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Try-Outs are unlimited.

Practice is roster-limited.

So they could invite every TE to try out.

But it would be a try-out only, a one-time thing, unless one (or more) was signed.

If I recall, some teams (Philly) used to hold "Open Try Outs" of a similar theme, let everyone in, see if a diamond in the rough might show up.

Right... But, hosting player number #89 and #90 instead of Collie and Laurent who have had some success in the league doesn't make sense.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Idzik will churn and burn as best he can.