Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daily News: MM Says Geno Progessing At High Rate

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Daily News: MM Says Geno Progessing At High Rate

This is from our least favorite writer, but MM is quoted directly so can atleast believe it:

Geno Smith may have experienced his fair share of growing pains during the offseason, but don't be surprised if the former West Virginia star wins the Jets quarterback competition against incumbent Mark Sanchez that begins in earnest on Friday in Cortland.

Smith admittedly has a large learning curve, but he won't have to master all the components of being an NFL quarterback to be the Jets' opening day starter.

"I will say this… I know this: He's way ahead of the pace of a normal rookie," offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg told The Daily News at the conclusion of the offseason program. "Guys that are quite skilled sometimes get away with some mechanical (flaws) in a game. They're just so good athletically that they get away with them for a period of time and then they get better and better and better and better."

"I think Geno's close," he added. "I don't think he's there yet. But he's close to being able to get into a game and function at a high level. So our whole challenge — and his challenge — is that first preseason game (against the Lions on Aug. 9). Now let's get to a point where you can function at a high level."

Quarterbacks coach David Lee delivered a blunt assessment of Smith's flaws during minicamp such as conveying plays in the huddle, mastering snap counts and recognizing "hot" reads, but he made it clear that the rookie could still get up to speed enough to be the Week 1 starter against the Buccaneers on Sept. 8.

Smith's biggest physical hurdle is sharpening his footwork on drop backs after spending much of his college career in shotgun. However, Mornhinweg has seen enough promising signs to give him hope.

"He's done a fabulous job," Mornhinweg said. "That is a heck of an offense that they have at West Virginia. However, we base much of our success of accuracy and timing and decision making and precision with the footwork… So, I know this: He's done an outstanding job (with) some of the things that he's done… He reverted back several times in practice: Both 7-on-7 and team (11 on 11). Just absolutely normal."

Rex Ryan suggested that the Jets could initially use Smith in a change-of-pace role similar to the 49ers' handling of Colin Kaepernick last season before he took over the starting job. However, Mornhinweg didn't want to speculate how/if Smith would be used if he doesn't win the quarterback competition.

"Those are too many ifs, ands and buts," Mornhinweg said. "I will say this: Geno is an excellent athlete. He's really progressed at a high level. He's done this fast and it's because he put in the hard work both on and off the field in preparation. He's done an outstanding job that way. I know he's got the mentality of if he can help the team in any way, he'll do it."

Mornhinweg admitted Smith's lack of exposure to a pistol or read-option offense in college wouldn't preclude the Jets from teaching him to do it now.

"Oh yeah. He does much of that really naturally," Mornhinweg said. "He's a natural football player. Football comes easy to him. So, yeah… Look, we've worked a little bit of these types of (read-option) things (in practice) to give our defense a look… But he'll do anything to help our football team. "

Mornhinweg said that he'll have "a big-picture plan that could be adjusted game to game and sometimes even within the game" during the preseason for Sanchez and Smith.

Smith has already said that he feels that he has "a great shot" to win the job, but can the Jets realistically expect him to be ready to be the starter for Week 1?

"We'll see. That's up to him," Mornhinweg said. "That's up to Geno. It's really that simple. He's been progressing at a very high rate."
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1407566

Great to hear that he's making some really nice progress. Seems like not attending Jets West was the right decision. Also, MM has experience with Foles just last year, so he could be progressing faster than Foles did, and Foles was an ok starter last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets will give Geno every opportunity to win the job.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez is never taking another reg season snap for us again. We all know this.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

I just want the best QB to win the job. If Sanchez whoops Geno in camp, fine. If Geno outshines sanchez fine. Just please play the best guy!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Did they legalized Marijuana in your state?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno Smith, starting QB of the NYJ in 2013

Mark Sanchez, benchwarmer/placekick holder of the NYJ in 2013

Huge dramatic improvement in the offense for upcoming season

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i still think sanchez will start the season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    i still think sanchez will start the season.
    why??

you love interceptions and buttfumbles??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    why??

you love interceptions and buttfumbles??
    i just think sanchez will be more prepared than Geno at the start of the season to run the offense.

i think geno will start mid season sometime.

and where did i say i WANTED sanchez to start? doofus.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm the doofus???

Youre the moron predicting that the Jets will run out the worst quarterback in football week one when they have an alternative that is breathing and probably better

not happening

pack your bags, buttfumbler --- ADIOS
    Last edited by sg3; 07-24-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i just think sanchez will be more prepared than Geno at the start of the season to run the offense.

i think geno will start mid season sometime.

and where did i say i WANTED sanchez to start? doofus.
    Its also safter for Geno to have sanchez start the season. New offense, new pieces on the oline. Sanchez is going to get killed back there the first few games until things settle. Keep Geno off the field until then.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Its also safter for Geno to have sanchez start the season. New offense, new pieces on the oline. Sanchez is going to get killed back there the first few games until things settle. Keep Geno off the field until then.
    agreed

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The middle of the schedule is treacherous this season. Things lighten up after the bye week. I don't see any good reason to put Sanchez in there to start things off. If he can pick up the playbook I'd start Geno day one and let him get that experience.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    The middle of the schedule is treacherous this season. Things lighten up after the bye week. I don't see any good reason to put Sanchez in there to start things off. If he can pick up the playbook I'd start Geno day one and let him get that experience.
    correct

will never understand fans advocating throwing the first half of the season with a proven bumbler when there is a living and breathing option on the roster

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm the doofus???

Youre the moron predicting that the Jets will run out the worst quarterback in football week one when they have an alternative that is breathing and probably better

not happening

you're the one who doesn't understand how to read. you're also the one who predicted sanchez would be cut June 1.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm the doofus???

not happening

You have to seperate what you want from what people predict will happen. I want Geno to step in and excel and knock Sanchez to the bench. But its very possible that mark is far more ready to take over this offense for week 1 than Geno. if that is the case then Mark will start. Most of us hope that Geno is the guy, but you come off pretty bad when you knock people who make reasoned predictions, even if they go against what YOU want.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    agreed
    People like you 2 are truly fascinating.

It's like you've never actually seen football played, never played it even in the neighborhood, and have some twisted idea of how to RUN an NFL franchise, how to COACH one, and how to make all of the plays at the same time.

Have fun believing whatever the hell it is that makes (you) think you know what's going on...

Me, I'm gonna watch the Jets games... And I'm gonna watch Geno QB the team, because he is ALREADY a better QB than the garbage we (not you apparently) have been watching for 4 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    THANK YOU!!!

These clowns just want to delay Geno's experience because they are hoping that they're right that the Jets will be the worst team in the NFL and Rex will be fired. PERIOD.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    People compalin that Rex just cares about just the defense well if Sean Payton paid more attention to his defense and players maybe he could have stopped the bounties that led to him being banned for a year and his DC getting banned for life.. Payton calls the plays for the Saints and he was missed big time by Bree's last season..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    People compalin that Rex just cares about just the defense well if Sean Payton paid more attention to his defense and players maybe he could have stopped the bounties that led to him being banned for a year and his DC getting banned for life.. Payton calls the plays for the Saints and he was missed big time by Bree's last season..
    Maybe peyton didnt care about the bounties and agreed with what williams was doing. Every team did them. Only the saints had a rat who blabbed about it.