Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 115

Thread: To the crowd buying into media rhetoric "Sanchez has been coddled..."

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Take it for what it's worth. My opinion (not just based on these facts) is that it seems after 2010, he started to spiral down hill. He's not the same as he was then. If he played like he did 2010, 2011 would have been a playoff team.
    Using stats to paint the complete story on Sanchez is delusional, not with the crap he was playing with last year, not in the crap system he was playing in, and the crap coach running that mess on the field.

    They also don't do justice on the roster overhaul he had to deal with in 2011, but somehow, he still threw and ran for 31 TD's.

    Stats only paint part of the picture, there's more to be told.

  2. #42
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez was absolutely coddled, by the team and the media. He rode the success of a very good defense and running game into the AFCG in both seasons.

    This is his ratings and their respective position in the league each year:

    63.0, which was good for 28th overalll. Rookie season, understandable. No one would kill if any rookie did that. He was OK for a rookie. But you also have to figure, most teams that pick a QB that high have a horrible team, hence why they suck enough to land a top 5 QB. We had a team that was leading the AFC East at 8-3 (I believe) when Favre got hurt and turned his arm into a noodle. We weren't the usual, loser team looking to rebuild. We have every other piece in order there. A great line, good running game, great defense. Mark Sanchez was like the tail light on that playoff bus.

    Second year:

    75.3 which gained him a whopping 1 spot to move upto 27th overall. Again, loaded team. Same thing as before. This is how he got coddled. Those two AFC Championship games masked a lot of his mediocrity. His shortcomings masked by a dominant team around him. They had an excellent running game. If people remember, the only time Sanchez was really successful was with play action, because the other teams respected the running game and had to bite.

    Third year:

    78.2 which got him up to 23rd overall, which was better than what his season the previous year was. But see how the narrative changed from leader of great men to a disappointment? The team around him was no longer as strong. Sanchez in his third year, was supposed to step up and alleviate some of the deficiencies.

    Last Year:

    66.9 to go down to 31st. You don't need to know more than that. And he was horrible.

    So, with that as the base? How was he coddled?

    1) He was set up with an excellent team around him. Most QBs come in and get killed because the surrounding talent is mediocre at best. That was not the case with Sanchez.

    2) He got high media exposure, because of his ties to the Mexican community and the NFL wanting to tap into that market. This was more prevalent in the first two years, when he was good.

    3) He got huge marketing deals (partially tied in Point # 2) when he was at no point in his career even an average rated QB. He had a Pepsi commercial series I believe where stuck out like a sore thumb, with the rest of the guys being stars. (I'm not 100% sure who the people were, but I'm sure one was Peyton, and the other might have been Peterson).

    4) He got a contract extension when he didn't need one at all. The team felt he was hurt by them going after a sure fire first ballot HOF in Manning?

    5) The Jets gave him the keys the franchise, rightfully so with a top 5 QB pick, and at first he drove it safely in driveway and his street. As soon as he got onto the main street, car got bumped. On the highway, he totaled it. He sucks.

    6) We read last year about how Shonne Greene saw the most packed boxes in the game the last 2 years, and how we complain that he kept running straight into it? You know what that means? Less defenders back defending the WRs. It should've made Sanchez's life easier. Imagine him if the defenders were actually playing back more often?

    He basically tagged along for the ride on one of the best rosters the Jets have put up possibly in their history for 2 years. He held that team back more so than he led them. They had to make a retard chart with color codes just so he could figure out which plays were risky and which plays were safe. They brought in Yankees coaches to teach him how to slide properly because he kept diving in like it was a pool out there. His best move is a pump fake. His only move is a pump fake.

    He was given every advantage a Qb picked high could dream off, and he failed. His play didn't elevate anyone. If he needed more time, maybe he should've listened to his coach and stayed in college.

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    Sanchez was absolutely coddled, by the team and the media. He rode the success of a very good defense and running game into the AFCG in both seasons.

    This is his ratings and their respective position in the league each year:

    63.0, which was good for 28th overalll. Rookie season, understandable. No one would kill if any rookie did that. He was OK for a rookie. But you also have to figure, most teams that pick a QB that high have a horrible team, hence why they suck enough to land a top 5 QB. We had a team that was leading the AFC East at 8-3 (I believe) when Favre got hurt and turned his arm into a noodle. We weren't the usual, loser team looking to rebuild. We have every other piece in order there. A great line, good running game, great defense. Mark Sanchez was like the tail light on that playoff bus.

    Second year:

    75.3 which gained him a whopping 1 spot to move upto 27th overall. Again, loaded team. Same thing as before. This is how he got coddled. Those two AFC Championship games masked a lot of his mediocrity. His shortcomings masked by a dominant team around him. They had an excellent running game. If people remember, the only time Sanchez was really successful was with play action, because the other teams respected the running game and had to bite.

    Third year:

    78.2 which got him up to 23rd overall, which was better than what his season the previous year was. But see how the narrative changed from leader of great men to a disappointment? The team around him was no longer as strong. Sanchez in his third year, was supposed to step up and alleviate some of the deficiencies.

    Last Year:

    66.9 to go down to 31st. You don't need to know more than that. And he was horrible.

    So, with that as the base? How was he coddled?

    1) He was set up with an excellent team around him. Most QBs come in and get killed because the surrounding talent is mediocre at best. That was not the case with Sanchez.

    2) He got high media exposure, because of his ties to the Mexican community and the NFL wanting to tap into that market. This was more prevalent in the first two years, when he was good.

    3) He got huge marketing deals (partially tied in Point # 2) when he was at no point in his career even an average rated QB. He had a Pepsi commercial series I believe where stuck out like a sore thumb, with the rest of the guys being stars. (I'm not 100% sure who the people were, but I'm sure one was Peyton, and the other might have been Peterson).

    4) He got a contract extension when he didn't need one at all. The team felt he was hurt by them going after a sure fire first ballot HOF in Manning?

    5) The Jets gave him the keys the franchise, rightfully so with a top 5 QB pick, and at first he drove it safely in driveway and his street. As soon as he got onto the main street, car got bumped. On the highway, he totaled it. He sucks.

    6) We read last year about how Shonne Greene saw the most packed boxes in the game the last 2 years, and how we complain that he kept running straight into it? You know what that means? Less defenders back defending the WRs. It should've made Sanchez's life easier. Imagine him if the defenders were actually playing back more often?

    He basically tagged along for the ride on one of the best rosters the Jets have put up possibly in their history for 2 years. He held that team back more so than he led them. They had to make a retard chart with color codes just so he could figure out which plays were risky and which plays were safe. They brought in Yankees coaches to teach him how to slide properly because he kept diving in like it was a pool out there. His best move is a pump fake. His only move is a pump fake.

    He was given every advantage a Qb picked high could dream off, and he failed. His play didn't elevate anyone. If he needed more time, maybe he should've listened to his coach and stayed in college.
    His first two seasons, his rookie season and his second year, you summarize the numbers only, again a stats guy without any perspective to look beyond the stats. Despite the aggregate of his numbers, he put together several impressive games, especially in his second year when he finally had talent around him, and at WR. He had inconsistencies in his performance, most to be expected for a young QB playing right away while being so young. His path in his first 3 years was not unlike the start Eli Manning had. Admittedly, last year washes a lot of that optimism away.

    You also ignore his playoff performances, all of which were very impressive, and should get even more recognition and credit given the intensity and urgency of a playoff atmosphere.

    You also ignore my points with his last two seasons, overhauled roster off of a lockout off-season, excessive injuries, and two offensive coordinators who were in over their heads, especially Sparano.

    Another misinterpretation of his extension, the basic design of the extension was to first provide the team cap relief and delay cap charges the team was going to pay anyway, both last year and this year, and second, a hope to cash in on a QB who the team hoped would advance in his development, and be extended on the cheap, and that would have been the case, if Sanchez advanced as we all hoped and expected to some degree, the contract would have been a stroke of genius, relative to the deals being given out to starting QB's across the league.

    There is nothing about how the Jets tried developing Sanchez that can be labeled "coddled."

    If anything, the Jets didn't do Sanchez any justice in overhauling the roster and not replacing the talent he had in his 2nd year, to allow him to continue his progression and development as an NFL QB. Burress was an abject failure, Cotchery's defection, the failure of the Mason pick-up and then release. Kerley was a rookie, and Holmes was left on an island without enough talent around him, and then the team gave up on Schotty and his predictable and underwhelming offensive schemes and game plans. Maybe some of it was influenced by Rex, something that Rex needs to desperately learn from in handing over the reigns completely to Mornhinweg. Sparano was an abomination.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 07-25-2013 at 12:11 AM.

  4. #44
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    25,844
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Using stats to paint the complete story on Sanchez is delusional, not with the crap he was playing with last year, not in the crap system he was playing in, and the crap coach running that mess on the field.

    They also don't do justice on the roster overhaul he had to deal with in 2011, but somehow, he still threw and ran for 31 TD's.

    Stats only paint part of the picture, there's more to be told.
    No, you're right, they don't paint the entire picture, but they are almost bipolar.

    I think Sanchez needs to shoulder part of the blame, and the coaching staff needs to shoulder the rest. He really needs to come with a better attitude, be a leader, and start from there. Last year, offensive system and personnel aside, he had a terrible attitude. Most good QBs don't behave that way.

  5. #45
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    No, you're right, they don't paint the entire picture, but they are almost bipolar.

    I think Sanchez needs to shoulder part of the blame, and the coaching staff needs to shoulder the rest. He really needs to come with a better attitude, be a leader, and start from there. Last year, offensive system and personnel aside, he had a terrible attitude. Most good QBs don't behave that way.
    No disagreement from me, I can't, that would be hypocritical.

    In fact, I agree with this entire post!

  6. #46
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Mark Brunell never posed a serious threat to his job. Neither did Tebow. His competition was a geriatric and a kid that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

    Sanchez never lead anything. He was along for the ride and made a handful of plays when called upon. Credit him for that but he did not do the heavy lifting.

    I do agree about the shuffling of his WRs not helping. We completely botched the 2011 offseason. And that is part of the reason why Rex needs to go too.
    +1

    and Rex should be Defensive Coordinator only.

  7. #47
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    His first two seasons, his rookie season and his second year, you summarize the numbers only, again a stats guy without any perspective to look beyond the stats.

    Despite the aggregate of his numbers, he put together several impressive games, especially in his second year when he finally had talent around him, and at WR.

    You also ignore his playoff performances, all of which were very impressive, and should get even more recognition and credit given the intensity and urgency of a playoff atmosphere.

    You also ignore my points with his last two seasons, overhauled roster off of a lockout off-season, excessive injuries, and two offensive coordinators who were in over their heads, especially Sparano.

    Another misinterpretation of his extension, the basic design of the extension was to first provide the team cap relief and delay cap charges the team was going to pay anyway, both last year and this year, and second, a hope to cash in on a QB who the team hoped would advance in his development, and be extended on the cheap, and that would have been the case, if Sanchez advanced as we all hoped and expected to some degree, the contract would have been a stroke of genius, relative to the deals being given out to starting QB's across the league.
    If it's not the stats, what was he doing the first year? Don't tell me this rookie QB who couldn't decipher what plays were risky or not was leading a group of veteran players. He wasn't adding anything besides his playing time.

    Yeah, he had some nice games, and he had some horrible games. But it's a full season. That's like saying if we just look at 6 games we won last year, then we were undefeated. Not like we can just cherry pick games and throw them out. Same with the playoffs, he had nice games mixed with terrible games. It's the story of his career.

    The first of those two years, he was with the same OC as before. Yeah, but that's what a franchise QB has to deal with. It actually ties exactly into my point of him being coddled. The roster right now and last year was what a normal top 5 pick deals with, like RGIII or Luck, or Bradford. A decimated team. Sanchez was coddled by having a much better team around him. And when that talent went away, his safety blanket was removed, and we've seen the results.

    A 3rd and 4th year QB is supposed to elevate his game, and make players around him better. A quality Sanchez hasn't exhibited at all. We even bought in players he's familiar with, such as McNight, Turner, and even his childhood friend Scotty McNight. And still nothing.

    It would've made sense if he actually showed consistent talent, but he had not. He was a below average QB his entire career up until that extension, with three years of evidence behind it. And there was no need for that extension, because he was still under his rookie contract. There was no need for them to extend him at all. Yes, they wanted to save the cap in the future if they needed to extend him after he became good, but he didn't. They failed. Also wanted to avoid a QB controversy by extending Sanchez. Why they traded for Tebow is a whole different subject and one to this day I can't understand.

    He was given every advantage a team can reasonably give a player, and he regressed. You know who has had a better career so far than Sanchez individually? David Carr. And yet, we all know Carr as a horrible failure. This is even before we factor in the absolute crap roster that Carr had to deal with.

    Look, I rooted for Sanchez as much as the next guy. I was super excited in '09 when we got him, and I held out hope for 3 years. Going into last year, I had my fears that his ceiling might have been a league average QB, and after the year, even that seems like a pipe dream. He was given his shot, he failed, we failed, and we move on. He's not struggling because we set him up for failure, or because we robbed him of his potential. He failed because he was nowhere near as talented as many presumed him to be.

  8. #48
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure Mark Sanchez has been coddled by the Jets. This organization has failed to put a decent qb on the roster to compete with him - until now with Geno but he needs time.

  9. #49
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

    If anything, the Jets didn't do Sanchez any justice in overhauling the roster and not replacing the talent he had in his 2nd year, to allow him to continue his progression and development as an NFL QB. Burress was an abject failure, Cotchery's defection, the failure of the Mason pick-up and then release. Kerley was a rookie, and Holmes was left on an island without enough talent around him, and then the team gave up on Schotty and his predictable and underwhelming offensive schemes and game plans. Maybe some of it was influenced by Rex, something that Rex needs to desperately learn from in handing over the reigns completely to Mornhinweg. Sparano was an abomination.
    Didn't see this when I responded before.

    That's the point, taking a franchise QB means the guy improves as he moves to his 3rd and 4th seasons. That HE elevates the guys around him, and that HE makes them better. There is always guys like Hasslebeck, Dilfer, Grossman, Moore who can be below average QBs. No need to waste a top 5 pick for them.

    I don't know how bad Schotty is, because Bradford just had his best year as a pro under him, and he had basically one WR that people even heard of before last year in Amendola, who was injured for like half the games last year. So I wouldn't throw Schotty under the bus that quick, because atleast he helped Bradford improve.

    Sporano sucked, but I think Sanchez sucked as well. It wasn't like Sporano sat on the sideline and told Sanchez to run into his lineman's ass or throw into triple coverage in the Tenn game.

    Sanchez has major flaws in his game, which cause him to be indecisive out there on the field. In the Geno thread, I posted pics of him ignoring Hill being wide open to throw a interception. Or Hill being open by 10 yards in the first NE game, where he under threw it, and the CB ran under it.

  10. #50
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,650
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    who gives a hoot whether he was coddled or not, ray

    the fact remains that as an NFL quarterback he sucked in 2011 and then he sucked worse in 2012

    Fortunately he will be doing his sucking on the bench in 2013 behind Smith and then he will be packing his bags and saying adios at the end of the season

    THE END OF AN ERROR
    You whiny SOJF!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I give a ****, I think Sanchez gets a raw deal from fans like you and so many others.

    I know how bad things got last year, but I believe they aren't all on Sanchez, I believe the injuries, Tebow, and Sparano wrecked the season long before Sanchez had anything to do with it. Sure, Sanchez had his moments, and he deserves to be the position he is in from a competition standpoint, but he doesn't deserve half of the fan base rooting against him.

    Back to the point, some fans seem to think they have every answer to why Sanchez won't work, can't work, or has been a failure, and that the Jets did a poor job with him, one of them being this BS about how the team "coddled" Sanchez. Where does this come from, and why? Why is Sanchez an error?

    Why can't anyone see Sanchez has had a raw deal from the team the last two years, the complete overhaul of the roster before his 3rd season, the lockout off-season, Schotty and the offense imploding around him, more having to do with Schotty and not Sanchez. Then last year, the abomination that was Sparano leading a non-descript offense that my 9 yr old daughter could figure out after one week, then on top of it, the injuries all over the roster and depth chart, especially on offense. Oh right, the buttfumble, because ESPN loves replaying that 40 times a day, because of their obvious bias against the Jets with obsessive hatred, that must be the reason, right?
    Right on Ray!

  11. #51
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    15,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was he coddled or improperly developed? For me this argument became moot after the Cards game. Rex only brought in My Boy Elroy after the fans demanded it. I'm just hoping Rex hears more of the fans and not his wife's tattoo.

  12. #52
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,201
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's been coddled in that his job was never threatened even when he has played horribly. His play last year is not some anomaly… it's his style.

    The 2008 NY Jets were 9-7. Near the middle of the season they were Super Bowl favorites after beating strong NE and Tennessee teams. Favre injured his shoulder, Mangini stuck with him and the rest is history.

    The 2009 NY Jets were a solid team before Sanchez was drafted. They ended up having a top 5 rushing attack and defense at the end of the season. At the start of the season they had a hot start of 3 wins. Then Sanchez went on a 1-6 run where he threw 6TDs to 14Int and had 2 lost fumbles.

    That type of play is proving to be the real Mark Sanchez. Yet he was always been treated as the undisputed starter. "The Franchise". No serious competition was brought in. Any talk of Sanchez losing reps in practice was a major issue. It took forever for that to happen. When he couldn't grasp the playbook, they simplified it. When he didn't know how to slide properly, they brought in a specialist. Leaning on the passing game was disastrous, so the Jets went back to ground and pound. Calling his own plays was never emphasized. His on the field and off the field maturity issues have been downplayed and have persisted. When Santonio caused an on field commotion at the close of the 2011 season, Sanchez was a non factor as if he behaving like a leader is not expected. Sanchez not putting it all together was all Schotty's fault so he left. When Tebow came in, the Jets went out of their way to make him some ridiculous multi-purpose player instead of real competition. Then it was all Sparano's fault that the offense sucked because it was stymied by the league's worst starting QB. All along Sanchez gave the same post game press conferences. No accountability and no one in the organization demanding it from him.

    After the Jets went after Manning, they brokered a horrible contract with Sanchez that has shackled the team. Imagine that contract situation happening in your world…. you are sucking at your job so your boss starts interviewing your replacement. You hear about it so he stops interviewing replacements and instead gives you a huge raise.

    If that is not coddling I don't know what is.
    Last edited by jxc; 07-25-2013 at 04:30 AM.

  13. #53
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,308
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, the Jets handled the situation like I would expect them to. 2009, he was considered the franchise so he was the starter day 1. Then they gave him more weapons and he played better in year two. Year three, bad player decisions derailed this team from the start and he struggled and then last year he played awful. At no time, except this year would I expect them to draft a QB or bring in a vet. Two straight years of poor play dictated that another option be brought in. I don't think he was coddled. I think he was given every opportunity to lead this team and he failed and got worse after year two. Geno was the right QB at the right time to see if Sanchez steps up or we move on. It's easy to judge a coach or organization from the outside, but handling QB's is a delicate process sometimes. I don't care who wins the job this year. I just hope we find someone to lead us into the future.

  14. #54
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,255
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    IMO, the Jets handled the situation like I would expect them to. 2009, he was considered the franchise so he was the starter day 1. Then they gave him more weapons and he played better in year two. Year three, bad player decisions derailed this team from the start and he struggled and then last year he played awful. At no time, except this year would I expect them to draft a QB or bring in a vet. Two straight years of poor play dictated that another option be brought in. I don't think he was coddled. I think he was given every opportunity to lead this team and he failed and got worse after year two. Geno was the right QB at the right time to see if Sanchez steps up or we move on. It's easy to judge a coach or organization from the outside, but handling QB's is a delicate process sometimes. I don't care who wins the job this year. I just hope we find someone to lead us into the future.
    Great Post. All true fans should feel this way

  15. #55
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Ray but Mark Sanchez STINKS.

    It's not the medias fault

    It's not Schottenheimer or Cavanaugh or Sparano's fault

    It's not the WRs or OL or RBs fault

    IT'S BUTTFUMBLE HIMSELF'S FAULT

    PERIOD

    Fortunately he will be replaced this season and ADIOSED at the end of this season.

  16. #56
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    How was he coddled?
    In almost every way.

    ...he was going to be given every opportunity to win the starting job out of the gate
    He never "won" the job. To win implies he had competition. He did not, the 78 year old fossil we choose as a #2 was utterly unable to compete, by conscious and specific act (i.e. coddling) of the front office of that time.

    ...he managed to lead the team to an AFCCG
    He did not "lead" the jets to either AFCCG. He was dragged, in spite of his poor play, by a top-rank Defense and running game, to those AFCCG.

    That he was never forced to improve (i.e. coddled) throughout this time, and due to no legitimate competition behind him, was a specific choice of the front office.

    Instead, he was given the notorious limits (i.e. the color code system" that was a clear example that he was unable to run an NFL offense in full, and was only going to be trusted to run a small portion of one.

    As he ran more, and was needed more, his play got worse from that point on.

    The team regressed
    Lead in that regression by Sanchez, who went from merely green and low-quality to outright horrific and a liabillity ever time he touched the ball. The fact he was never replaced int he past two years (i.e. coddled) was once again a specific decision by the front office, as was bringing in a man everyone knew would not be used as a #1 QB in Tebow.

    the team imploded, not because of Sanchez
    Your opinion. Many of us do not agree.

    Last year, injuries derailed the season
    Last season, like all of Sanchez's seasons, his penchant for turnovers and giving points to the other team derailed us more than any other single factor.

    Tebow and the media derailed the season
    Which shows how weak and soft Sanchez was, that he allowed it to effect him and his play.....although as bad as he was, you could hardly tell given how bad he was the year before.

    confidence derailed Sanchez on top of it.
    Because he is a soft, spolied, coddled, unpassionate uncaring player who lacks the heart of a competitor, much less a Champion. One need only see him mope on the sidelines to see that.

    Then the arm chair football experts come out
    Of which you, and this thread, are also one.

    why should he have received competition each year?
    Because the quality of his play ranks him as the worst #1 QB in the NFL over the past four years.

    Because his weaknesses, poor accuracy, int prone, fumble prone, three and out prone, immobile, poor pocket presence and more continue today as they did the day he arrived here.

    How was he coddled?
    Doesn't make a difference now. Now he has competition, and will (hopefully) have to actually win the job rather than be handed it again.

    Although given the grotesque amount of money he is owned, his being handed the job is still a VERY likely probabillity for 2013. No one, owner of front office, wants to pay a guy double-digit millions of dollars to sit the bench and hold a clipboard.

    Sanchez will "win" the #1 job. Sanchez will fail, again. Sanchez will be replaced at the #1 mid-to-late in 2013 season. And Sanchez will be gone in the post-2013 off-season.

    Get used to the idea.
    Last edited by Churchill; 07-25-2013 at 11:01 AM.

  17. #57
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Warfish (Churchill) stole my thunder with the above post. On the money. Sanchez has never been given any competition. What a mess the Jets created in how they managed him. It's time for him to go. He is just horrendous in every way.

  18. #58
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark wasnt coddled because he was "handed" the starting job as a rookie. What QB drafted in the top 5 and paid 50 million dollars is not "handed" the job? It is pretty unrealistic to think that a team uses such a high draft pick and pays that much money, and then brings in and pays another starting caliber QB to have a competition. It doesnt happen. Last season was the first year where I thought the Jets needed to address the back up QB more seriously, but they went a different direction and it blew up on them.

    Where I do think Mark was coddled, and the entire offense for that matter, was how Rex never held the offense to the same standard as the defense. He would be more critical of the defense that was performing well, than he would the offense that would be consistently under performing. I think Rex felt since he was not involved in the offense that he felt he couldnt be as critical to offense as he was the defense.

  19. #59
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    1,892
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Mark Brunell never posed a serious threat to his job. Neither did Tebow. His competition was a geriatric and a kid that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

    Sanchez never lead anything. He was along for the ride and made a handful of plays when called upon. Credit him for that but he did not do the heavy lifting.

    I do agree about the shuffling of his WRs not helping. We completely botched the 2011 offseason. And that is part of the reason why Rex needs to go too.
    No franchise QBs are ever given competition. Name any great QB and then name me their fearsome backup that pushed them to keep their job. It doesn't happen. When you draft a QB #5 overall in the old CBA and were committed to for 50 million dollars you have to give them every chance to succeed.

    Flacco, Ryan, Alex Smith, Stafford, Bradford all QBs drafted before the wage scale all given every opportunity to succeed or as we say "coddled".

    You can say Sanchez sucks, but to say he needed competition to be better is moronic.

  20. #60
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Where I do think Mark was coddled, and the entire offense for that matter, was how Rex never held the offense to the same standard as the defense. He would be more critical of the defense that was performing well, than he would the offense that would be consistently under performing. I think Rex felt since he was not involved in the offense that he felt he couldnt be as critical to offense as he was the defense.
    While I disagree completely with your first paragraph, THIS is spot on accurate. Rex, as Head Coach, bears much of the ultimate responsabillity for Mark Sanchez's failings. By being so uniformly foccussed on the Defense, and enevr demanding a similar "play well or sit" ethic from his QB or offense, he bears responsabillity for it's ongoing, lengthy period of pathetic malaise. He did not "break Sanchez, as Sanchez was neevr any good to start....but where he could have made sure sanchez got better (or was benched) he failed that responsabillity quite badly.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us