Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: If Kerry Rhodes Signed With Jets...

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,302
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He seems to play in the back end nicely.
    Rex felt that he was not physical enough in that role.

  2. #22
    All League
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    3,926
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We are also forgetting to consider what his relationship was like with Rex. If their was a complete regime change then I might be able to see it. But I think Rex and him butted heads a bit and he did not play up to Rex's expectations. The ghey thing is obviously a factor no matter what people say publicly but I think even if that didn't exist he wouldn't be coming here b.c of how things went down with Rex.

    Call me a bigot if you want but I can sympathize with a team being concerned about the ghey thing. It is a distraction. And in NY it would be 10 times as much. You also have to take into consideration that there are 52 other players in that locker room plus the PS. If I was an owner of GM he would have to be an Aaron Rodger/Adrian Peterson/JJ Watt type player to justify putting up with the possible distractions and locker room chemistry issues. We like to think that everyone would be tolerant but we know that is not the case.

    This is pretty close to my thoughts:

    1) Rex hates the guy:

    http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/201...book-hollywood

    New York Jets coach Rex Ryan has never been one to mince words. It seems this trend will continue in his new book set to be released soon, named, Play Like You Mean It: Passion, Laughs and Leadership in the World's Most Beautiful Game. One former player finds himself the target of criticism in the book, former Jet and current Cardinal Kerry Rhodes.

    According to ESPN's Rich Cimini, Ryan criticizes Kerry Rhode's work ethic and commitment to football. "He was a selfish-ass guy," Ryan writes. "He wouldn't work and he was a Hollywood type."
    2) Regardless of what your position on gay athletes is, as a fan of the Jets I would prefer them not to be the first to sign an openly gay player (or one highly suspected of being gay) because of the distractions. I'm just tired of the whole circus story line.

    And for the record, I have nothing against gay people, nothing against gay marriage and nothing against gay athletes , etc. etc.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    I seriously doubt that Rhodes not being signed has anything to do with his sexual orientation. I mean, is there anyone out there (players, fans, front office guys, coaches) who hasn't long believed that Rhodes is gay?

    Jeez, we were discussing Kerry's alleged preferences while he was still a Jet, and he has played several years (and earned a big contract from Arizona) after that.

    Everyone in the NFL knows (or has long suspected) that Rhodes is gay. A couple of holiday photos online have done nothing to change anyone's perception of him.

    He hasn't been signed because he is now in that category of expensive veterans whose salary demands now far exceed their value as players.

    Rhodes will get signed - to a vet minimum type deal - when some team suffers an injury to a player in pre-season, or when a young player disappoints in camp. At worst, he will land somewhere after week 1 when his salary wouldn't be guaranteed for the year.

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, CA
    Posts
    8,283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    This is pretty close to my thoughts:

    1) Rex hates the guy:

    http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/201...book-hollywood



    2) Regardless of what your position on gay athletes is, as a fan of the Jets I would prefer them not to be the first to sign an openly gay player (or one highly suspected of being gay) because of the distractions. I'm just tired of the whole circus story line.

    And for the record, I have nothing against gay people, nothing against gay marriage and nothing against gay athletes , etc. etc.
    If memory recalls, Rhodes had a problem deferring to Leonhard as far as playcalling, etc. Cant say i blame him seeing as how he was a batter player than Leonhard at the time.

    Also, i take issue with Rex saying he "wouldnt work, and was a hollywood type". Seems a double standard when compared to Santoni-HO and his me first, quit during a game attitude.

    stgbfsm

  5. #25
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    If memory recalls, Rhodes had a problem deferring to Leonhard as far as playcalling, etc. Cant say i blame him seeing as how he was a batter player than Leonhard at the time.

    Also, i take issue with Rex saying he "wouldnt work, and was a hollywood type". Seems a double standard when compared to Santoni-HO and his me first, quit during a game attitude.

    stgbfsm
    Yes he did. He also went public at one point whining that the new guys had more responsibility than he did.

    Add to that he didn't get along with Dennis Thurman, had words with him while he was db coach. Can't help his case that hes now the DC here.

  6. #26
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Rex felt that he was not physical enough in that role.
    HEYY!!








    now


  7. #27
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    920
    Post Thanks / Like

  8. #28
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,308
    Post Thanks / Like
    He can't defend the down and in or the long ball.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 07-25-2013 at 10:53 AM.

  9. #29
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    893
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry don't need the distraction here, not after going thru what we did last year.
    For those who think Rex won't rip a player if they are not giving there all, Kerry is a classic case. Wish the guy the best, he is a good player and I am sure someone will pick him up.
    We have two young men that have a year in the system and we need to see what the have. We must stop continuing to recycle players and put that energy in to developing players.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,302
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    HEYY!!








    now

    You have something to say here WCO? C'mon man... er... spit it out.

    Oh wait.

  11. #31
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is only one way the Jets sign Rhodes, and that is with Rhodes eating some humble pie and acknowledging it was his fault it did not work out with the Jets because he was uncooperative with the coaching staff and thought he was bigger then the team, and he is now ready to do things the right way and make football his #1 priority.

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, CA
    Posts
    8,283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    There is only one way the Jets sign Rhodes, and that is with Rhodes eating some humble pie and acknowledging it was his fault it did not work out with the Jets because he was uncooperative with the coaching staff and thought he was bigger then the team, and he is now ready to do things the right way and make football his #1 priority.
    Hypothetically, do you think he would make a good addition to the team?

    For me, its a no brainer.

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    6,509
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Hypothetically, do you think he would make a good addition to the team?

    For me, its a no brainer.
    Rex likes to have two SSs, and mix up their assignments, but Rohdes is good enough to justify changing that philosophy. I wouldn't doubt that Rex has regretted letting him go many times. For instance when Tebow, or Cruz were running for a game winning, and season killing TDs. I'd love to have Lowery back too. Thankfully Rex is no longer in charge of personnel.

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Rex likes to have two SSs, and mix up their assignments, but Rohdes is good enough to justify changing that philosophy. I wouldn't doubt that Rex has regretted letting him go many times. For instance when Tebow, or Cruz were running for a game winning, and season killing TDs. I'd love to have Lowery back too. Thankfully Rex is no longer in charge of personnel.
    I agree. For me I would rather have a safety that has great range and coverage ability, than be a hard hitter and great in run support. As far as Rhodes goes, A secondary with Cro, Milliner, Landry, Rhodes and Wilson can cover some ground and allow the front 7 to get after the QB.

  15. #35
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    10,816
    Post Thanks / Like
    He played like a soft bltch... No thanks

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    6,509
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I agree. For me I would rather have a safety that has great range and coverage ability, than be a hard hitter and great in run support. As far as Rhodes goes, A secondary with Cro, Milliner, Landry, Rhodes and Wilson can cover some ground and allow the front 7 to get after the QB.
    He was rated #6 in run support last year by PFF. As a FS in Arizona's defense you don't get a lot of opportunity, but he had 63 tackles, and only 8 missed tackles. Seems like he's shored up that part of his game. For reference LaRon had 88 tackles, and missed 13.

  17. #37
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He was rated #6 in run support last year by PFF. As a FS in Arizona's defense you don't get a lot of opportunity, but he had 63 tackles, and only 8 missed tackles. Seems like he's shored up that part of his game. For reference LaRon had 88 tackles, and missed 13.
    Plus he is better than any other safety on the Jets roster right now. Not sure how much money he is looking for, but he would definitely upgrade this secondary.

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    The gay thing might be part of the reason he is not signed, but there are a lot of veterans who haven't signed yet. Isn't Brandon Moore still a free agent, I really don't get how no one has signed him. Eric Winston only signed yesterday. A lot of these older free agents are being priced out. It's really shocking. Guys like Seymour, Bart Scott, and even Brandon Lloyd should be picked up somewhere by now.

  19. #39
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    The gay thing might be part of the reason he is not signed, but there are a lot of veterans who haven't signed yet. Isn't Brandon Moore still a free agent, I really don't get how no one has signed him. Eric Winston only signed yesterday. A lot of these older free agents are being priced out. It's really shocking. Guys like Seymour, Bart Scott, and even Brandon Lloyd should be picked up somewhere by now.
    Those guys have all made some money and are not rushing to sign with a team for vet minimum. They are waiting for some camp injuries to occur and some teams to become a little desperate and over pay for them.

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    There is only one way the Jets sign Rhodes, and that is with Rhodes eating some humble pie and acknowledging it was his fault it did not work out with the Jets because he was uncooperative with the coaching staff and thought he was bigger then the team, and he is now ready to do things the right way and make football his #1 priority.
    Hopefully cooler heads prevail. Kerry and the Jets can both mutually benefit from him signing a 1 year $4 million deal. The Jets helped Laron Landry resurect his career and get a huge contract from Indy. They can do the same for Rhodes.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 07-25-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us