Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who thinks the NFL season should be longer?

Who thinks the NFL season should be longer?

I would like to hear other opinions on this subject whether for or against a longer season and why. I personally hate the fact that the whole season including preseason lasts about six months and that's from the hall of fame game to the Superbowl. In contrast baseball goes from March thru October which is 2 months longer. Hockey and Basketball are also at least 8 months if not longer. Would it be too tough on the players to play 20 games a year? I realize football is the most grueling sport to play but they also get a week to rest(usually). I think teams should be allowed to have a larger roster so that would help keep the players fresh and also 2 bye weeks could be another solution. It just sucks that when they finally start playing the season just shoots by so fast. Next thing you know it is Thanksgiving and everyone is talking about playoffs or next years draft. Anyone have some thoughts on this?

I know it's a very unpopular opinion, but I am a huge fan of extending the season to 18 games and reducing the pre season games (which are downright extortion against season ticket holders) from 4 to 2.

Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    I would like to hear other opinions on this subject whether for or against a longer season and why. I personally hate the fact that the whole season including preseason lasts about six months and that's from the hall of fame game to the Superbowl. In contrast baseball goes from March thru October which is 2 months longer. Hockey and Basketball are also at least 8 months if not longer. Would it be too tough on the players to play 20 games a year? I realize football is the most grueling sport to play but they also get a week to rest(usually). I think teams should be allowed to have a larger roster so that would help keep the players fresh and also 2 bye weeks could be another solution. It just sucks that when they finally start playing the season just shoots by so fast. Next thing you know it is Thanksgiving and everyone is talking about playoffs or next years draft. Anyone have some thoughts on this?
    Absolutely agree with this, 9 months of waiting between regular season games is ridiculous, that said it wets your appetite something rotten waiting so long.

I'm just not used to it being over here, things like Rugby and soccer are on all the time, soccer season ends at the end of May and starts at beginning of August.

Another thing I struggle with is AF not being that popular here, you can't discuss it with people at work etc, absolutely kills me and prolongs the pain, me and my mates are just amped up though when it does come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    I know it's a very unpopular opinion, but I am a huge fan of extending the season to 18 games and reducing the pre season games (which are downright extortion against season ticket holders) from 4 to 2.
    I have heard this scenario being talked about often and could actually happen but it still doesn't solve the problem of waiting so long to start a new season. I would totally support this 18 game season over the current one however.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I wouldn't mind those changes ... But I actually like it a lot how it is too

think they should add 1 more playoff team per conference, each top seed gets a bye. then have the SB presidents day weekend

I have always supported a reduction of PRe-season and conversion of those games into Regular season games.

Best case, 20 game season, 1 month of camp beforehand, no preseason.

Acceptable would be 1 month camp, 2 preseason, 18 regular season.

Players should be fully paid for all 20 regardless, and season ticket holders should not be required to buy preseason tickets (if any).

JMO.

All League
    Putting the subject of pre-season tickets/prices aside. I think 2 more games added to the regular season with no other changes made is truly hazardous to the players. This is a tough game and 2 more added on is going to take its toll on a lot of them. I suppose I am taking a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

All Pro
    16 is enough. You're just asking for more meaningless late season games and more injuries.

Any extension of the season needs to be accompanied by an expansion of the playoffs in order to maintain interest through the end of the regular season. Adding two more games means adding another bye week as well. The way things stand now, that's another month of meaningless football for about 40% of the league.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    16 is enough. You're just asking for more meaningless late season games and more injuries.
    Expanded rosters, two more games, one more playoff team take care of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Expanded rosters, two more games, one more playoff team take care of all that.
    How about f*ck all that?

Move a team like the Jags, Rams or Bills to LA and stop the NFL from using vacant LA to extort money from every city. That's the real change that needs to happen and unfortunately it won't

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I heard an interesting suggestion (don't remember where) that if the schedule was expanded to 18 games, each player would need to be held out of 2 games per season so they don't play more than 16, in order to mitigate the injury risk. This did not come from any kind of official source, so I don't know if this is an idea the league is seriously considering.

It's an interesting idea. On one hand, it would create some interesting strategical decisions for coaches/GMs. On the other hand, you can say that it would dilute the talent level of each game.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Let's keep changing the game till we don't know what it is anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Let's keep changing the game till we don't know what it is anymore.
    That was my first thought, but then I'm still adjusting to a 16 game season. I can't see how an 18 or especially a 20 game season works. How does a team sit it's best players for 2-4 games? They won't so injuries will happen and the game gets diluted. Lets not kill the goose here folks. And please don't make it like basketball ro hockey where half the teams make the flippin' playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Yup.

As far as extending the season, I'm indifferent. I wouldn't complain if it were extended. But having preseason games start in Aug and the SB in Feb seems like a decent length of a season to me.
    Last edited by Mike135; 07-26-2013 at 10:29 PM.

The NFL should just start a pony league that kicks off 2 weeks after the SB and runs 16 weeks. Same teams and cities, cap the salary at like 6 million per team and reduce season tickets to like fifteen bucks. Start building the next generation of fans. You know everyone would watch.

I am ok with adding an extra bye week, adding a 17th game and cutting the pre season down to 3 games and extending TC for rookies by two weeks.

Eliminating one of the pre season games is a thank you to season ticket holders. The game experience is now better at home than it is at the stadium.

Adding an other bye week gives the networks more revenue and likewise the players. It also give players and coaches time to make adjustments and heal so that the product on the field is better.

Rookies and PS players would have the benefit of two extra weeks of teaching

It would help "parity" as the best teams will have to play an extra game against a quality opponent.
    Last edited by patman; 07-27-2013 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    The NFL should just start a pony league that kicks off 2 weeks after the SB and runs 16 weeks. Same teams and cities, cap the salary at like 6 million per team and reduce season tickets to like fifteen bucks. Start building the next generation of fans. You know everyone would watch.
    The nfl is not concerned and I never even heard of any disconnect between the young and the sport of football.

What good will a 16 week season do a player, who is trying to make a nfl roster. His body would break down before august is over.