Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who thinks the NFL season should be longer?

Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    Putting the subject of pre-season tickets/prices aside. I think 2 more games added to the regular season with no other changes made is truly hazardous to the players. This is a tough game and 2 more added on is going to take its toll on a lot of them. I suppose I am taking a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.
    It's a logical argument but I am not sure it is statistically correct. Obviously there would be more injuries in an 18 game season than 16, but if you look at playoff teams I am not so sure that the rate of injuries or serious injuries is really any higher to be honest.

Here is what I would do to have both worlds:

Expand season to 17 games (an international one for each team), lower preseason to 3. The fourth preseason game is especially useless.

Expand the number of byes to 2 per team.

After 12 weeks, have the Pro Bowl announced , and in week 13 have a break for some sort of Pro Bowl activity but not a game.

So now regular season lasts 20 weeks and each time has 3 weeks off. That will mitigate against a lot of the injury potential for an extended season and make football season almost a month longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I have always supported a reduction of PRe-season and conversion of those games into Regular season games.

Best case, 20 game season, 1 month of camp beforehand, no preseason.

Acceptable would be 1 month camp, 2 preseason, 18 regular season.

Players should be fully paid for all 20 regardless, and season ticket holders should not be required to buy preseason tickets (if any).

JMO.
    No exhibition games? how are kids going to show if they can play? by going in practice against your own team mates?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    How about f*ck all that?

Move a team like the Jags, Rams or Bills to LA and stop the NFL from using vacant LA to extort money from every city. That's the real change that needs to happen and unfortunately it won't
    I agree except with the "free Hernandez" part, dude's is a killa.

So when does the chant start

J. ust

E. end

T. he

S. eason.

JK. . Yea yea I know. SOJF.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurleyJohnson View Post
    That was my first thought, but then I'm still adjusting to a 16 game season. I can't see how an 18 or especially a 20 game season works. How does a team sit it's best players for 2-4 games? They won't so injuries will happen and the game gets diluted. Lets not kill the goose here folks. And please don't make it like basketball ro hockey where half the teams make the flippin' playoffs.
    More players and even a more watered down league. It's all about money and bringing more winners and chances of winning 32 teams hasn't worked so.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The nfl is not concerned and I never even heard of any disconnect between the young and the sport of football.

What good will a 16 week season do a player, who is trying to make a nfl roster. His body would break down before august is over.
    Teams aren't selling out now. If a family of four could go to an NFL minor league game with parking for like $100 and tailgate the NFL would groom a new generation of STHs. The NFL is already worried about attendance-it's why they are showing the redzone in some stadiums and wiring them for wifi.

Arena league players play an entire season and if they are lucky they get an invite to training camp, based on film teams have on them or word of mouth from coaches. You have 8 PS spots open. If you created a summer league you create 53 more jobs per team and some guys that fall through the cracks would eventually make it to the NFL.

Plus, baseball blows. I'd watch Jets lite vs Pats lite every weekend....and I bet most other NFL fans would too.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What good will a 16 week season do a player, who is trying to make a nfl roster. His body would break down before august is over.
    absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    Putting the subject of pre-season tickets/prices aside. I think 2 more games added to the regular season with no other changes made is truly hazardous to the players. This is a tough game and 2 more added on is going to take its toll on a lot of them. I suppose I am taking a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.
    I could not agree more....Anyone who has played football knows the toll it puts on your body and to extend the season will guarantee injuries. Just remember there would be no Wayne Chrebet without the preseason the way it is today. Also, football is unique because every games matters. Why add games at the end of the season that become meaningless similar to baseball.

There is no reason to reinvent the wheel! The NFL is great as it is!

The cfl used to be 16 reg and 4 ex games as well but a number of years ago switched to 18 reg and 2 ex games and it has worked out very well. I would be totally in favor of going to 18-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The cfl used to be 16 reg and 4 ex games as well but a number of years ago switched to 18 reg and 2 ex games and it has worked out very well. I would be totally in favor of going to 18-2.

The CFL is different game. The field is wider and longer. They also have one less down. To say the CFL did it, is not a good comparison. The CFL playoff system also has one less game. The bottom line your going to have meaning less games no matter how you look at it whether it is in the preseason or the end of a season where the starter are benched which could affect the scenrio for the playoff for another team if the season is extended. I would rather have the meaningless games in the beginning of the season.

With the concussion lawsuit agains the NFL by the vets and all the attention and rule changes being implemented to reduce injuries and when you consider that the players just keep getting bigger and faster and stronger, I think 18 games would be a disaster physically for the players.

I agree the 4 preseason games are too many. The best answer would be to reduce the preseason games to 2 and keep the season at 16 games, but the owners would never go for the lost revenue of that one home preseason game.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Willie White Shoes View Post
    With the concussion lawsuit agains the NFL by the vets and all the attention and rule changes being implemented to reduce injuries and when you consider that the players just keep getting bigger and faster and stronger, I think 18 games would be a disaster physically for the players.

I agree the 4 preseason games are too many. The best answer would be to reduce the preseason games to 2 and keep the season at 16 games, but the owners would never go for the lost revenue of that one home preseason game.
    Wow now this is a step in the opposite direction of expanding the season. I have read some different points of views and solutions which is what I was hoping. This is definitely a topic that will be talked about in the coming years.