Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braylon Edwards Praises Geno Smith

Banned

Braylon Edwards Praises Geno Smith

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...no-smith-legit
    CORTLAND, N.Y. -- New York Jets wide receiver Braylon Edwards has a message for teammate Mark Sanchez: Watch out, this Geno Smith kid is good.

Edwards has been around Smith for only a couple of days, but he said Friday the rookie has a serious-minded approach that reminds him of a former Seattle Seahawks teammate -- Russell Wilson. A lofty comparison, to be sure.

"It's going to be a battle," Edwards said of the Jets' quarterback competition. "Mark can't make mistakes like he has in the past. Things have to be legit with Mark for him to be the starter because he has a legit guy knocking at the back door."

The showdown began for real Friday, the first day of practice.

Before a relatively small crowd at SUNY Cortland, both quarterbacks got off to a nice start, neither one committing a turnover and Smith showing off a big arm.

Edwards was impressed. He has been around several rookie quarterbacks in his 10 seasons, including Sanchez (2009) and the San Francisco 49ers' Colin Kaepernick (2011), and he said Smith has Wilson-like intangibles.

"Russell was a maniac when it came to studying film, breaking down film and asking questions," Edwards said. "Russell was a beast at that. That's what I see potentially in Geno, how he comes in the huddle, how he asks questions in meetings. He's right there with Mark."

Smith has a ways to go, especially with his grasp of Marty Mornhinweg's West-Coast system. At West Virginia, Smith was used almost exclusively in shotgun, so this is a big transition. There were a couple of hiccups in practice.

10 Biggest Issues At Jets Camp

It's no secret. The Jets have tons of issues heading into training camp. We stopped at 10. Top 10 Photo Gallery Blog

"He didn't have the greatest practice -- don't get me wrong -- but you can tell with his attitude, he's not just happy to be in the NFL. He's not happy to be backing up Mark Sanchez," Edwards said. "He's here to start. You can tell with his leadership. It's pretty exciting."

Smith was pleased with his Day 1 performance.

"It felt pretty good. Things went smoothly."

He joked that he's never at a loss for confidence. On Thursday, the second-round pick said his goal is to become one of the best quarterbacks in history.

The Jets would be happy if he ends up being the best quarterback in Cortland. After four seasons of Sanchez, who committed a league-high 52 turnovers in 2011 and 2012, the organization wouldn't mind a fresh start -- if Smith is up to it.

Coach Rex Ryan, whose job could be riding on the decision, raved about Smith's arm strength.

"He can throw it with anybody -- maybe not anybody," Ryan said. "I don't know if he can throw it with (Jay) Cutler or if he can throw it with the kid in Detroit (Matthew Stafford), but I know one thing: He can throw it. He's got a really live arm. There's no doubt."

Smith worked with the backups, but he'll get a chance to lead the starting offense, as per the quarterback rotation. Ryan declined to say when he expects to name a starter, but it figures to be after two preseason games.

Sanchez has been outspoken in his belief that he'll win the job, and he came away from Friday feeling no different.

"I thought I did well," he said. "I felt sharp, I felt accurate and I felt good with my checks."

Sanchez said the notion of losing to Smith hasn't crossed his mind.

"I don't even think like that," he said. "I don't think about not winning the job. That's just the way I am. I'm pretty optimistic."
    Interesting article I thought I would share.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Really Braylon STFU and ball.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    He didn't say anything wrong. He praised a teammate. Unless of course you want Sanchez to start then I could see why you would want him to stfu. Don't worry, Sanchez never had a shot anyway.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear from Braylon!

Sanchez SUCKS and he couldn't be gone soon enough.

4 years of his dogshlt is more than I care to see. He had NO college exp, from the most overhyped BUST producing school known to man.

He sucked when he started and he MAY suck WORSE now!

F*** Mark, f*** his stupid headband, f*** his stupid "statements" and f*** his ridiculous turnovers!

Get this buttfumble outta here!

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    He didn't say anything wrong. He praised a teammate. Unless of course you want Sanchez to start then I could see why you would want him to stfu. Don't worry, Sanchez never had a shot anyway.
    Read it again, and I don't care if Mickey Mouse is the Qb.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Exactly what I was hoping to hear from Braylon!

Sanchez SUCKS and he couldn't be gone soon enough.

4 years of his dogshlt is more than I care to see. He had NO college exp, from the most overhyped BUST producing school known to man.

He sucked when he started and he MAY suck WORSE now!

F*** Mark, f*** his stupid headband, f*** his stupid "statements" and f*** his ridiculous turnovers!

Get this buttfumble outta here!
    Be careful what you wish for, the only reason I would want Geno to start is so time isn't wasted in finding a Qb.

Jets Insider VIP
    GENO TIME HAS BEGUN!!!

Adios Buttfumble6

Regardless of who wins the competition, I hope both keep having good days. It'll force them to out perform the other. That's a win for us.

Good to hear that Braylon thinks highly of Geno and compares his worth ethic to that of Russel Wilson.

All Pro
    It's training camp. How much balling can he do?

A lot of player endorsements could be dismissed out of hand for a lot of reasons. but Braylon has always been sort of Sanchez guy. For him to endorse Geno like this and compare him to Wilson is pretty significant.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    It's training camp. How much balling can he do?
    In other words stick to playing rather than analyzing. Like you said it just started.

Jamarcus Russel 2007 LSU 24
    Mark Sanchez 2009 USC 28
    6. Geno Smith, West Virginia 24

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

In other words stick to playing rather than analyzing. Like you said it just started.
    hen Holmes backed a QB he needed to STFU and leave it to the coaches. Because he was a sh1t bag for talking. Had an agenda.

BE is different, the excuses and praise will fly.

Fans aren't particularly consistent

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Regardless of who wins the competition, I hope both keep having good days. It'll force them to out perform the other. That's a win for us.
    Totally agreed. But I think it might be just the two of us.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    Jamarcus Russel 2007 LSU 24
    Mark Sanchez 2009 USC 28
    6. Geno Smith, West Virginia 24
    ?????

What's this supposed to mean?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    hen Holmes backed a QB he needed to STFU and leave it to the coaches. Because he was a sh1t bag for talking. Had an agenda.

It's two simple rules in 2013.

Praise Geno or bash Sanchez and almost everyone here loves you.
    Praise Sanchez or question Geno in any way and you will be told to STFU.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post

Amazing you got something right - Holmes is a sh!t bag. Otherwise totally dumb comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Did he said this as he was making drinks for Sanchez? BE see the writing. Geno is going to be the starter so might as well try to get on his good side. He said the right things his issue is his poor play not his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Amazing you got something right - Holmes is a sh!t bag. Otherwise totally dumb comment.
    What was dumb about it? He's exactly right.

The agenda of the individuals on the board reeks through by their double standards with players.