Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clyde Gates

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)

Clyde Gates

Link

Clyde is a Jets WR Fast Out of the Gates

With Braylon Edwards back in the fold and Santonio Holmes still on the mend, you probably aren’t going to see too much of Clyde Gates in the headlines. But the 5’11”, 197-pound wideout, in his second season with the Jets, had an excellent Day 1 here at camp.

“You think about it, you just have to be consistent. Today was a good day,” he told me after practice. “You have to come out tomorrow and match and exceed what you did today. I feel like today was great, but you have to come out tomorrow and put it on film tomorrow. It’s about consistency. You can’t one day be great and the next day just be mediocre.”

Slowed by a balky hamstring this spring, Gates showcased his speed and fluid route running Friday at SUNY Cortland. His best catch was a diving grab of a Mark Sanchez heave in a 7-on-7 drill that covered closed to 50 yards for a score.

“It started with the O-linemen. They gave Mark the time and whenever you give Mark time he’s unstoppable,” Gates said. “I give all the credit to the O-Line and then Mark for making the good pass. It’s my job as a receiver to go out and get the ball.

“When the all is in the air, I feel like it’s mine. I won’t have it any other way.”

Both Sanchez and Geno Smith looked sharp Friday as the QB competition got underway in earnest. Gates wants to help both of the Jets’ top two signal callers this summer.

“They’re both great quarterbacks. I have to make sure I get open for them, do my job and execute it well so it won’t be hard on them,” he said. “I want to make their job easy and my job easy as well.”

The Jets continue to stress competition all over the field. On a few plays, Gates went head-to-head with one of the NFL’s top cornerbacks in Antonio Cromartie.

With Braylon Edwards back in the fold and Santonio Holmes still on the mend, you probably aren’t going to see too much of Clyde Gates in the headlines.

Not necessarily. If anything, Braylon being involved in the offense will command slightly more attention by opposing 'Defenses' which would enable guys like Gates to get a bit more open than they normally would get.

Gates has a good shot at making the team. What he does best really suites our new OC. Last year Gates looked like a play maker for the 1st 2-3 games. He flattened out after that but was not being used right IMO. We have soo many WR on the roster right now any impact like what was reported today is really good. There is just so much depth of young talent at WR right now who do you keep?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Gates has a good shot at making the team. What he does best really suites our new OC. Last year Gates looked like a play maker for the 1st 2-3 games. He flattened out after that but was not being used right IMO. We have soo many WR on the roster right now any impact like what was reported today is really good. There is just so much depth of young talent at WR right now who do you keep?
    Dreamers, don't you think that the reason that Gates "flattened out" was because we had Mark Suckchez at QB?

I bet if Geno starts, he would be seeing more targets toward him this year....

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Dreamers, don't you think that the reason that Gates "flattened out" was because we had Mark Suckchez at QB?

I bet if Geno starts, he would be seeing more targets toward him this year....
    Yes I do. The only thing that gets me about Gates is the team that drafted him gave up on him. Out side of that I have liked what I have seen in him. I do think this is going to be a very good WR group. I just wish Gates could be PS if he doesnt make the team but he doesnt qualify. So for him it is really do or die. I think we have 16 WRs now and you could throw a dart at this group to see who wins the last 2 WR spots on the roster.

Yes I do. The only thing that gets me about Gates is the team that drafted him gave up on him. Out side of that I have liked what I have seen in him. I do think this is going to be a very good WR group. I just wish Gates could be PS if he doesnt make the team but he doesnt qualify. So for him it is really do or die. I think we have 16 WRs now and you could throw a dart at this group to see who wins the last 2 WR spots on the roster.
    Dlolphins gaveup on WES WELKER too.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    And Jake Long.

And Brandon Marshall.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post
    And Jake Long.

And Brandon Marshall.
    Marshall is the biggest headcase left in the NFL so I get that one.

Banned
    Now that Hernandez is bordering Serial Killer charges

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post

Link

Clyde is a Jets WR Fast Out of the Gates

With Braylon Edwards back in the fold and Santonio Holmes still on the mend, you probably aren’t going to see too much of Clyde Gates in the headlines. But the 5’11”, 197-pound wideout, in his second season with the Jets, had an excellent Day 1 here at camp.

“You think about it, you just have to be consistent. Today was a good day,” he told me after practice. “You have to come out tomorrow and match and exceed what you did today. I feel like today was great, but you have to come out tomorrow and put it on film tomorrow. It’s about consistency. You can’t one day be great and the next day just be mediocre.”

Slowed by a balky hamstring this spring, Gates showcased his speed and fluid route running Friday at SUNY Cortland. His best catch was a diving grab of a Mark Sanchez heave in a 7-on-7 drill that covered closed to 50 yards for a score.

“It started with the O-linemen. They gave Mark the time and whenever you give Mark time he’s unstoppable,” Gates said. “I give all the credit to the O-Line and then Mark for making the good pass. It’s my job as a receiver to go out and get the ball.

“When the all is in the air, I feel like it’s mine. I won’t have it any other way.”

Both Sanchez and Geno Smith looked sharp Friday as the QB competition got underway in earnest. Gates wants to help both of the Jets’ top two signal callers this summer.

“They’re both great quarterbacks. I have to make sure I get open for them, do my job and execute it well so it won’t be hard on them,” he said. “I want to make their job easy and my job easy as well.”

The Jets continue to stress competition all over the field. On a few plays, Gates went head-to-head with one of the NFL’s top cornerbacks in Antonio Cromartie.

All League
    Definitely true, I just enjoy giving the Dolphins ****.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I agree...and MM'S offense, the more weapons, the better.

Not necessarily. If anything, Braylon being involved in the offense will command slightly more attention by opposing 'Defenses' which would enable guys like Gates to get a bit more open than they normally would get.

All Pro
    No they didn't. They let him walk for a contract. Welker ACTUALLY produced.

This is incredible. It's ridiculous... it's worse than Clowney!!

Hall Of Fame
    Looks like he is going to be this year's camp darling. Lets hope this one sticks.

Jets Insider VIP
    not true, actually

Dishonest, Disloyal cheating scumbag Nick Saban left the Dolphins for Tuscaloosa. He called up fellow disloyal, dishonest cheater Beliscum and told him that Welker was the only decent player on the Dolphins and that he should get him if he can.

Cam Retard the new head of the Phins had no clue about the team's talent and handed Welker over to the cheating douche in Foxboro for a second and seventh pick

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    No they didn't. They let him walk for a contract. Welker ACTUALLY produced.

This is incredible. It's ridiculous... it's worse than Clowney!!

So says Tony Pauline's sycophantic butt sniffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    So says Tony Pauline's sycophantic butt sniffer.
    Who are you calling "sycophantic"?

Who are you calling "sycophantic"?

Paradis who spends all year kissing up to Tony like he's some kind of God. Tony is one of the best draftniks out there, but that's not saying much given how wrong they are on a lot of their analyses and how rarely if ever they come back and admit they're wrong, the draft is a crapshoot, but God forbid anyone has an opinion over at the draft forum cause geeky buttsniffing boy here will come and trump anything you say, although it is very evident he's a young punk who has very little historical football perspective.

Now he comes and craps on the Gates thread. Yeah he may be right, but it's his propensity to have this knowitall attitude that bugs me. Paradis, let me tell you something sopne, I have forgotten more football than you will ever know, if you have reasons why you don't think Gates can progressas a player and a professional under this OC, I want to hear reasonable arguments, not your typical dismissive snarky remarks, come strong or don't come at all punk!

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Paradis who spends all year kissing up to Tony like he's some kind of God. Tony is one of the best draftniks out there, but that's not saying much given how wrong they are on a lot of their analyses and how rarely if ever they come back and admit they're wrong, the draft is a crapshoot, but God forbid anyone has an opinion over at the draft forum cause geeky buttsniffing boy here will come and trump anything you say, although it is very evident he's a young punk who has very little historical football perspective.

Now he comes and craps on the Gates thread. Yeah he may be right, but it's his propensity to have this knowitall attitude that bugs me. Paradis, let me tell you something sopne, I have forgotten more football than you will ever know, if you have reasons why you don't think Gates can progressas a player and a professional under this OC, I want to hear reasonable arguments, not your typical dismissive snarky remarks, come strong or don't come at all punk!

+1 BTW

Hall Of Fame
    It is pretty funny seeing people react to Gates all of a sudden. The guy couldnt run a simple curl patter last year and was only on the roster because of the serious lack of depth at the WR position, now after two practices people are comparing him to Desaun Jackson....LOL. Can we at least see them practice in full pads before such lofty comparisons can be made?