Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets sign RB Chad Spann.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Post Jets sign RB Chad Spann.

Pretty nice write up by Rotoworld about this kid.

Jets signed RB Chad Spann.
    Spann, 25 next month, practiced at Gang Green's rookie minicamp, so the team must have been at least a bit impressed. The former Northern Illinois standout has never appeared in an NFL game, but runs with impressive toughness for his size and showed explosive lateral movement in college. Despite his almost nonexistent resume, Spann is worth monitoring in deep leagues.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-27-2013 at 02:41 PM.

All Pro
    look now it's been a long Spann for us Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Makes u wonder if the Jets believe they wont have goodson this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    And or are ready to punt mcknight.

Hall Of Fame
    Maybe, but I just think they had an extra spot when they placed Berry on the IR this morning, and Spann was next on their list of guys they were interested in.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Churn and burn.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yep, I was thinking the same thing.

At the very least I would say they are concerned.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    And or are ready to punt mcknight.
    That would be my guess!

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Poor mans BWest would be nice, can he block and catch?

Jets Insider VIP
    He needs a nickname......

CHAD????

How about THE BRIDGE???

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

CHAD????

How about THE BRIDGE???
    CSPAN

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

CHAD????

How about THE BRIDGE???
    Spanndex because he stretches the field. Ah forget it.

Superbowl.

All League
    A video of Spann was posted by Moreno Valley in the "What happened to the camp notes 7/27?" thread:

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...08#post4933408

The thing I like is it takes multiple tacklers to stop this guy.
    Last edited by Jet Blast; 07-27-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    look at some players issues around the league compared to goodson...why in the wOrld would he miss the entire season when the police report also stated he was not driving and the gun was not his...he has also coopereated......no way he misses the year...maybe not even any games....it just makes plain sense to bring in extra back in july.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Somebody will step up...

An Opening for John Griffin to Run Through
    Posted by Randy Lange on July 27, 2013 – 2:45 pm

We can’t dub him “Johnny White Shoes Griffin” just yet, but John Griffin has looked speedy in the Jets’ backfield at their SUNY Cortland training camp and it’s not just the white footwear.

“Really, I’m just taking advantage of the opportunity I’ve got right now,” Griffin, the Jets’ new No. 24, said after today’s second practice of camp. “I know we’ve got a couple of guys hurt and Mike [Goodson]‘s not here right now. So I’m really just trying to take advantage of the opportunity that’s been given to me. I know I’ve worked hard so I know I’m ready for it.”
    Griffin looks ready. The 5’11″, 208-pounder has gotten his opening with Chris Ivory and Joe McKnight both being sidelined at times so far with injuries and Goodson not reporting, and he and his shoes have flashed. It could be getting free to scoot off tackle or taking a screen and zipping down the green and white rapids for a big gainer.

He feels he can be a complete back. As a Northeastern junior, he had a 200-yard rushing game and a 1,000-yard season in 2009. As a receiver, he’s been hot and cold, mixing in a few drops with his crowd-pleasing downfield forays, but he knows one of the answers to that.

“I like to think I’m a pretty good route-running back,” he said. “I probably need to strengthen my hands a little bit, do some more off the field. But I pretty much like doing it all.”

As for the white shoes, it’s not a tribute to Joe Namath or Billy Johnson, just a sartorial thing that some of the Jets backs started this spring.
    “I remember Joe [McKnight] and Mike [Goodson] wore them one day, we all did, and we kind of stuck with them,” he said. “Actually, Antonio Cromartie gave these shoes to me.”

It’s taken Griffin a while to get going in the pros, but he finally made his NFL debut with nine special teams plays for the Jets in last season’s finale at Buffalo. Maybe there are more plays where that came from if he and his shoes continue to flash this summer.

Comings and Goings

Griffin and the Jets backs were joined on the roster by newly signed Chad Spann (5’9″, 198). Spann’s claim to fame was that he led all FBS players in 2010 with 22 rushing TDs in 11 games for Northern Illinois, but he’s only made it to Tampa Bay’s and Pittsburgh’s practice squads. He wore No. 34 in white (Donnie Fletcher is 34 in green) at today’s practice. … Also, CB Aaron Berry, who tore an ACL early in Friday’s first practice of camp, was placed on injured reserve.

Clyde Gates was still motoring in day two, ripping down the right sideline to gather in a Geno Smith longball in 11-on-11 drills. … Antonio Allen had a nice 7-on-7 zone interception of Mark Sanchez trying to hit Stephen Hill with a deep ball. … Rex Ryan says he likes what first-year WR Vidal Hazelton has shown so far, “and not because he got into a little whatever.” That whatever was a short but intense chin-to-chin confrontation with Cromartie after Cro hit Hazelton hard after a reception in positional drills. … Including a kick each in a two-minute drill at the end of practice, Nick Folk was 4-for-5 and Billy Cundiff 2-for-5 on field goals into a good Cortland cross-breeze.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Somebody will step up...

An Opening for John Griffin to Run Through
    Posted by Randy Lange on July 27, 2013 – 2:45 pm

We can’t dub him “Johnny White Shoes Griffin” just yet, but John Griffin has looked speedy in the Jets’ backfield at their SUNY Cortland training camp and it’s not just the white footwear.

“Really, I’m just taking advantage of the opportunity I’ve got right now,” Griffin, the Jets’ new No. 24, said after today’s second practice of camp. “I know we’ve got a couple of guys hurt and Mike [Goodson]‘s not here right now. So I’m really just trying to take advantage of the opportunity that’s been given to me. I know I’ve worked hard so I know I’m ready for it.”
    Griffin looks ready. The 5’11″, 208-pounder has gotten his opening with Chris Ivory and Joe McKnight both being sidelined at times so far with injuries and Goodson not reporting, and he and his shoes have flashed. It could be getting free to scoot off tackle or taking a screen and zipping down the green and white rapids for a big gainer.

He feels he can be a complete back. As a Northeastern junior, he had a 200-yard rushing game and a 1,000-yard season in 2009. As a receiver, he’s been hot and cold, mixing in a few drops with his crowd-pleasing downfield forays, but he knows one of the answers to that.

“I like to think I’m a pretty good route-running back,” he said. “I probably need to strengthen my hands a little bit, do some more off the field. But I pretty much like doing it all.”

As for the white shoes, it’s not a tribute to Joe Namath or Billy Johnson, just a sartorial thing that some of the Jets backs started this spring.
    “I remember Joe [McKnight] and Mike [Goodson] wore them one day, we all did, and we kind of stuck with them,” he said. “Actually, Antonio Cromartie gave these shoes to me.”

It’s taken Griffin a while to get going in the pros, but he finally made his NFL debut with nine special teams plays for the Jets in last season’s finale at Buffalo. Maybe there are more plays where that came from if he and his shoes continue to flash this summer.

Comings and Goings

Griffin and the Jets backs were joined on the roster by newly signed Chad Spann (5’9″, 198). Spann’s claim to fame was that he led all FBS players in 2010 with 22 rushing TDs in 11 games for Northern Illinois, but he’s only made it to Tampa Bay’s and Pittsburgh’s practice squads. He wore No. 34 in white (Donnie Fletcher is 34 in green) at today’s practice. … Also, CB Aaron Berry, who tore an ACL early in Friday’s first practice of camp, was placed on injured reserve.

Clyde Gates was still motoring in day two, ripping down the right sideline to gather in a Geno Smith longball in 11-on-11 drills. … Antonio Allen had a nice 7-on-7 zone interception of Mark Sanchez trying to hit Stephen Hill with a deep ball. … Rex Ryan says he likes what first-year WR Vidal Hazelton has shown so far, “and not because he got into a little whatever.” That whatever was a short but intense chin-to-chin confrontation with Cromartie after Cro hit Hazelton hard after a reception in positional drills. … Including a kick each in a two-minute drill at the end of practice, Nick Folk was 4-for-5 and Billy Cundiff 2-for-5 on field goals into a good Cortland cross-breeze.

Hoping McKnight gets cut.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Yep, I was thinking the same thing.

At the very least I would say they are concerned.
    eh I still say this is just them looking for a reason to cut both Powell and McKnight and save a few 100k. We need a RB that can go on the PS anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    eh I still say this is just them looking for a reason to cut both Powell and McKnight and save a few 100k. We need a RB that can go on the PS anyway.
    I can totally see the Jets cutting McKnight, he is giving them all the incentive in the world to do it.