Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hill and Gates... (Jackson and Maclin)?

All League
    LOL

they are not like maclin and jackson

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    Both are better than Maclin now. Torn ACL!!
    Right.

Regardless of what Rex s saying now, the fact is that Gates was a terrible route runner last year. He rounded off his routes instead of sticking his foot in the ground and cutting. And when he ran an in/out, he would drift after he made his cut. If the play called for a 12 yard out, he'd make his cut after 12 yards, but by the time he reached the sideline he'd be 15+ yards downfield. It was a major problem.

If he's corrected his problems, that's fantastic news, but some of us are going to wait to see him do it in an actual game.

Practice Squad
    Why is it so hard to believe that talented WR's could improve on their TECHNIQUE? Cuz that's what we're really talking about here. I'm pretty sure that in both WR's exit interviews they were told about their flaws and what to work on and given instructions on how to improve. I'm sure they also focused on any flaws in their technique and my guess is that Marty is the kind of coach that would not allow sloppy routes in his offense. Precision is a hallmark of his offense. So i'm willing to give more credence to statements about improved routes when we never heard such praise about these WR's before. I'm pretty sure that if they stood out for their technique last year we would've heard about it.

This tendency to self hate is part of being a Jets fan that needs to be addressed. You can tell by the reports from the media this year that there's something different about the Jets this year. Before camp it was talk about the Circus being back and other negative things, but most of the reports have been positive which is more believable given the media's penchant for bashing the Jets.

All Pro
    Tell me you people aren't actually excited about Gates the III.... yeesh.

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL

Two days ago no one even thought Gates would be on the final roster.

Now after the first two days of camp we're comparing him to Desean Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Tell me you people aren't actually excited about Gates the III.... yeesh.
    He was a 4th round pick, has talent and speed, young players with raw talent and speed can develop, they can become good football players, why can't this be a consideration?

So you guys have hitched your wagon to bum knee Braylon, stone hands hill, and camp fodder gates as some type of stud trio of wide outs? It might be your worst wr group ever. Remind me of who will be getting the ball to these world beaters?

Jets Insider VIP
    whoever it is it he will be better than whatever crap Buffoonalo runs out behind center again

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    LOL

they are not like maclin and jackson
    No but signing BE will make both of them better and they will be effective for us this season.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    No but signing BE will make both of them better and they will be effective for us this season.
    The way it's stands right now anything would be an improvement. I like BE by the way hope he can contribute.

All Pro
    Right now I''m loving Hill. If this kid can stay healthy, and fix his drops it won't matter if Holmes is done as a Jet, and we wouldn't have to bring in a Veteran. Hill and Braylon on the outside, Kerley in the slot will be a lethal combination. Winslow stays healthy combined with our new Gunslinger QB. Now defenses are going to have to respect our offense going down the field. Something they were not doing last year with weak armed McElroy and Mr.Buttfumbles at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    In terms if speed alone, Hill and Gates who timed 4.31 and 4.34 respectively match up with those two. But here's another one, it was Marty who designed those crazy long patterns for them to take advantage of their speed, so despite the fact that DJ and JM are very talented it took a mad scientist to make it work.

So far in two days of camp what are we seeing? Both Gates and Hill making big plays with the long ball, something tells me Marty sees the similarities and the potential of these two to implement his big play offense. We have the elements, now they just need to hone their skills and make it work, I'm not worried at all about Hill's hands, he'll catch his fair share if Marty can put him in the right place.
    This isn't track ... there's a lot more to catching a deep ball than just speed. Jackson is an excellent route runner when motivated and if you give him a 7 yard slant he can break it so it forces DB's to worry about a couple of different variables. Gates is so unproven its not even funny as is Hill. You're comparing these 2 guys to Maclin & Jackson only based on speed? That just isn't solid from a knowledgable football fan. We've seen this way too many times. How often have we seen guys get drafted because of their speed and not be able to make a team 2 years later.

It seems like Gates is picking up on some of the little things now and he's worked on some subtle nuances that are essential in becoming a solid receiver but boy boy boy .. lets slow this down we're talking about TRAINING CAMP. Remember what Iverson said? PRACTICE? ... WE'RE TALKING ABOUT PRACTICE MAN ... PRACTICE ....

Jackson/Maclin ... proven guys when the lights are on

Hill/Gates ... Practice Man ... we're talking about practice ..

Although Hill has showed some things in game action when healthy he's still VERY raw and Gates is doing his thing ins 7 on 7 drills ... Was he even wearing pads? Lets relax ... He's getting busy in SHORTS ...

Practice Squad
    Need to start somewhere. Baby steps are better than nothing with both players. It was good to read that Hill reeled in a long pass. Too often the Jets didn't have the deep threat to stop defender from stacking the box last season. Hopefully the Jets receivers can surprise on the upside this year.

The 2nd year is when nfl coaches expect the biggest jump in a young players performance.

I would not put any weight in anything Rex says publicly about a player.

Jets Insider VIP
    All players are very raw when they start..hopefully Hill, Gates and others like Zach Rogers have the talent to get unraw in the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    73 posts, multiple insults and personal attacks

vacation????
    You are not the one who should be lecturing people on insults and attacks. You are probably the worst offender on this channel, but since you are are part of the Rah Rah crew, you seem to get a pass. Didn't your parents ever teach you not to throw stones from a glass house?

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    You want crappier teams than Buffalo and Miami? Name me the last time either of those teams won a playoff game.
    when was the last time they were in a playoff game.