Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think Rex spilled the beans today

I think Rex spilled the beans today

Listen to Rex's news conference:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-an...c-61b30c688ab5

There is a lot of questions about the wildcat, whether they will play it, will they use it more than last year, etc....

Rex makes the point that if you have your QB run the wildcat then it can be more effective. This could be taken to mean Geno on wildcat packages but later he is asked about Tebow, and he says that if you are going to bring a guy out just for that, you might as well just leave the RB in.

Which means he believes the QB out there can also run the wildcat, and that's not Sanchez. Geno is definitely penciled in as starter right now

You need to remember they ran the wildcat the first 3 years of Sanchez and split him out wide when Brad Smith came in....doesn't mean anything in my view

All League
    I think what he is saying is you dont need a special QB just for the wildcat ala Tebow.

I expect Kerley and Mcknight or whatever Rb is there to play a big role no matter who is at QB.

I think please are assuming Geno is a great running QB but he really isnt. He is a pocket QB that can run if need be.

He is no RGIII, Cam Newton, Wilson, Vick, etc.

In the end Running the ball with your QB is not a good idea. Injuries will happen and then what. I would rather is a WR or RB do it anyway.

Cam Newton is the only exception because of his size but even with him I would limit it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    You need to remember they ran the wildcat the first 3 years of Sanchez and split him out wide when Brad Smith came in....doesn't mean anything in my view
    Correct!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He may think it's better to run it with the QB at center but that doesn't mean he would weaken the entire game for the sake of fewer than 10 plays. Or he could be saying that it makes sense to bring Geno in to run the WC from time to time.

I think we hear what we want to hear and we want to hear that Geno is the starting QB of the NY Jets.

All Pro
    From the way Rex scratched his left eyebrow while answering a question, I surmise that Geno is going to be the starter.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    From the way Rex scratched his left eyebrow while answering a question, I surmise that Geno is going to be the starter.
    sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar.

Yes, let's have a pure pocket passer start running. BRILLIANT, REX!

#sarcasm #rexthebuffoon

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Yes, let's have a pure pocket passer start running. BRILLIANT, REX!

#sarcasm #rexthebuffoon
    Because he said this when?

And are totally sure who can or can't do something just because you haven't seen them do it?

#fansarebuffoons

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Two thoughts...

1. Geno Smith is primarily a pocket passer. He's not a RGIII or running QB. Some people believe that just because he's a fairly athletic, black QB he's automatically a running QB. He's really not. Geno Smith has a better chance of being Warren Moon than Randall Cunningham.

2. The Brad Smith wildcat worked pretty well because the Jets could often get good personnel matchups against the opposing team's D. Brad Smith would line up as our #3 WR often enough, and catch an occasional pass that we could disguise if a wildcat was coming. Smith could line up in the slot, Sanchez under Center, and then pre-snap they would move Sanchez outside and Brad Smith would move to QB. That's not happening with Geno because the Jets can't legitimately fake him into another offensive position like WR. The Jets could put Sanchez and Brad Smith, or Sanchez and Tebow on the field at the same time. It makes zero sense to put Sanchez and Geno on the field together, and if you do you're essentially conceding a player and putting 10 guys on the field.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 07-31-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Because he said this when?

And are totally sure who can or can't do something just because you haven't seen them do it?

#fansarebuffoons
    **** yourself, clown.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

**** yourself, clown.
    I'm the clown?

LOL, cute.

Still doesn't answer the question. Where did you hear Rex say the things you said he said. Or that you know Geno can't run the WC.

You know, that makes him a buffoon and you smart.

And required a **** yourself response. Which always stands for, I'm too stupid to come up with something intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar.
    Monica Lewinski begs to differ.

Costello: Ryan says Jets will use wildcat more.

There you go, clown.

I don't have a doubt that Geno can run it, I just don't want him to. Quit with the gimmick bs and just let them play. And I certainly don't want him running at all. No need for him to get RG3'd when he's not even that type of QB, anyway.

Does that answer your question, clown? Good.

Hall Of Fame

There you go, clown.

I don't have a doubt that Geno can run it, I just don't want him to. Quit with the gimmick bs and just let them play. And I certainly don't want him running at all. No need for him to get RG3'd when he's not even that type of QB, anyway.

I dont think Rex has any intentions of turning Geno into a "running QB", I think he envisions using the read option a few times a game to give the defense something else to think about. Geno wouldnt be any more exposed than he would be if he ran from pressure from the pocket. As with any QB who runs for any reason, he will have to smart as to when he slides or goes out of bounds. That is where RGIII made mistakes, by his own admission he would try to fight for extra yards un necessarily.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

There you go, clown.

OK, moron, where does that say that Geno is going to run it? Since they've only reported Kerley running it.

So no, it answers nothing.

And ignores the 2nd part of the question, how do you know Geno can't do it? That he can't add a different wrinkle, different threat to the O. That he's strictly a pocket passer ill suited to run it?

Because, no reason, just because. That gets a **** you from you. Go find more pics of ass to help convince people that you're not really gay.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I dont think Rex has any intentions of turning Geno into a "running QB", I think he envisions using the read option a few times a game to give the defense something else to think about. Geno wouldnt be any more exposed than he would be if he ran from pressure from the pocket. As with any QB who runs for any reason, he will have to smart as to when he slides or goes out of bounds. That is where RGIII made mistakes, by his own admission he would try to fight for extra yards un necessarily.
    There's a difference between running for the sidelines and trying to make defenders miss, though. If Rex wants the latter, that's stupid.

I think Geno probably could run it, but it's risky. God forbid some classless Past takes a shot at him low and we end up going back to Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    OK, moron, where does that say that Geno is going to run it? Since they've only reported Kerley running it.

So no, it answers nothing.

And ignores the 2nd part of the question, how do you know Geno can't do it? That he can't add a different wrinkle, different threat to the O. That he's strictly a pocket passer ill suited to run it?

Because, no reason, just because. That gets a **** you from you. Go find more pics of ass to help convince people that you're not really gay.
    No one ignored anything. Try reading.

You don't think him running in practice suggests Rex is thinking about it? Yeah, ok.

And, yes, I'm bi. Congratulations on figuring that out, I guess? Lol.
    Last edited by McGinley; 07-31-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    There's a difference between running for the sidelines and trying to make defenders miss, though. If Rex wants the latter, that's stupid.

I think Geno probably could run it, but it's risky. God forbid some classless Past takes a shot at him low and we end up going back to Sanchez.
    If you watch most read options run by QBs they do go toward the sideline not up the middle into the teeth of the defense. They do not rely making the defenders miss, but rather run to where the defense is not. That is the whole premise of the "Read" in the "Read Option". Knowing when to get down or out of bounds is critical for any QB that is out of the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    If you watch most read options run by QBs they do go toward the sideline not up the middle into the teeth of the defense. They do not rely making the defenders miss, but rather run to where the defense is not. That is the whole premise of the "Read" in the "Read Option". Knowing when to get down or out of bounds is critical for any QB that is out of the pocket.
    Yes, but if he's just gonna have him trying to beat defenders, then that goes out the window.