Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: K-Ro's (7/28) Training Camp Report!

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Of course he does. It's like a 2nd home to him. Being with the Jets, I mean...

And for some weird reason, he just PRODUCES with the Jets instead of any other team. It's really odd but whatever.
    The Man is back in town!!

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    The Man is back in town!!
    'Cause he's T....N...T.

He's Dyn-o-mite...

T..N...T..

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    I'd wager my left arm you're wrong and reaching.

Calvin
    Julio
    Fitz
    Dez
    Thomas
    Marshall
    Cobb
    Harvin
    Jackson
    Cruz

Yeah... Stephen Hill isn't even going to be a top 30 this year..

He'll be the 3rd best receiver on this team.

People drinking the kool aid on a guy with 25 caught balls.
    I get it. You don't like him. He was never going to be an instant hit WR, but he will be a Top #1 receiver in this league. His first year is pretty much identical to Demaryius Thomas who came from a similar situation in college. Hill was open continuously last year but Sanchez never saw him. Sounds like Hill and Geno are developing some chemistry. And yes he will be high on that list in a couple years.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    jets site said hill caught a 50 yard bomb from sanchez after he roasted a db....the pic is online. you talk about today but on day one of camp all the receivers were making plays....the majority of this board will probably act like it's week one instead of the first week of training camp.

Hey guys, I know I'm not KRL, but I've taken the ride out to Cortland, and have gotten to watch Gang Green train live!

- I'm staying at the local motel that Rex, Cimini, Mehta are all at. I've seen Cimini, and my dad saw Rex earlier. The infamous Ira from SI is here as well.

- Geno and Ivory were both signing autographs today, was great to have them sign my hat. Geno made a few jokes, and Ivory was also a cool guy. He told me he wasn't practicing in full tomorrow.

- Geno really has a cannon for an arm. You can really see the difference between he and Mark. Geno definitely outplayed Mark today.

- Geno is overall better at getting the ball out of his hands early, and the second the liver arm definitely makes a difference.

- You can tell Mark isn't performing well under pressure even though he made a few great passes. Very spotty play.

- McElroy is garbage. Simms is winning the #3 job.

- Cumblerland made a great catch, but he can't block to save his life.

- Coples was playing standing up off the edge a lot today. The run D was phenomenal.

- Rex brought the scheme back. Rex was calling audibles left and right, and he was just dominating the offense.

- The defense is real man. We're going to be a top 10 D with our front 7.

- Hill looked like garbage. I don't care what people say. I saw him drop numerous balls. His routes weren't smooth, and he was getting jammed left and right. Also his big catch was a body catch. I don't see it in him honestly.

- Geno ran some read option. Reminded me of the Griffen/Kaep offense. It had a major gain as well.. like 30 yards.

- Kerley looked sharp. Him and Cro were lined up on 1 on 1's today, and the two were out dueling each other. Cro locked Kerley down, and Kerley was still able to make a spectacular grab.

- Braylon/Kellen sat out. Braylon looks happy to be here.

- Powell looked pretty bad. McKnight looked the best of the bunch, but our running game was pretty poor without Ivory/Goodson.

- Clyd Gates is making this team. He was out dueling everyone today.

- Spadola has soft hands. Disappointed that Henry/Rogers didn't play.

Ask questions if you want, but that's all I got now. This is the most excited that I've been since '09. I really think we're the sleeper team this year. Ivory/Braylon/Winslow are going to be HUGE for us this year.

Hall Of Fame
    every other jet source from camp is saying the opposite about hill....I have heard nothing about him looking terrible

My pops was here as well and had the same concern with Hill. Also spoke to some die-hards that were in the hotel. They agreed with my concerns of Hill. He doesn't look fluid. I'll ben back tomorrow to see what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Both of those catches looked terrific to me and the second one should be caught against the body like he caught it, with his body falling away like that easy to miss that with hands only.

Is it me or does Geno look spectacular throwing the ball. Quite honestly he looks to be on a completely different level than Sanchez throwing the ball. Way faster release, more velocity and a more catch-able ball. I think we may have THE guy at QB. And remember where he was drafted and his experience at the draft, the perceived snub is STILL fueling Rodgers and I think it fuels Geno.
    The first in a fine one, the second one, I'm not 100% why he jumped. The ball wasn't high, and I think it makes that catch harder for him by jumping because now he has to thinking about his landing as well. It also increases the chances that he lands out of bounds with his leap as well. I think he would've been better off trying to catch it without jumping. I still don't care if he does back-flips while catching as long as he catches, I was agreeing with the OP that he did have one body catch that looked weird, but his other one was fine.

Yeah, if you look at the highlights of Geno, a ton of his deep throws are in stride and on time. With Sanchez, even a completion had players having to stop, jump, slow down, and restrict YAC. Same with intermediate routes as well, and I think it mostly has to do with anticipation. Sanchez seems to throw more towards where the player is, while Geno throws more towards where the player will be when the ball arrives. In the end, it might only be a foot or two difference in ball placement, but that could mean the ability to catch and run, or be tackled by the defender. He also has more arm strength than I figured he would.

Hall Of Fame
    go back to his throws in college...this kid si the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Both of those catches looked terrific to me and the second one should be caught against the body like he caught it, with his body falling away like that easy to miss that with hands only.

Is it me or does Geno look spectacular throwing the ball. Quite honestly he looks to be on a completely different level than Sanchez throwing the ball. Way faster release, more velocity and a more catch-able ball. I think we may have THE guy at QB. And remember where he was drafted and his experience at the draft, the perceived snub is STILL fueling Rodgers and I think it fuels Geno.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Bingo.

It was a pretty quick practice, and the morning one was cancelled. Outside of that play I didn't see him do squat. I'd love a report to show me different.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    General Notes
    - The best WR on the field today was Hill. He's not allowing
    himself to get "punked" at the line of scrimmage and so far he's
    catching everything

Standouts For The Day

- The run defense
    - Smith
    - Hill
    - Richardson
    - Ellis
    - Coples
    - Wilkerson
    - Spann

Monday is my final day in Cortland unfortunately my hotel's check
    out time is 12 pm. So when practice is over I won't have access
    to the internet. I'll post my notes when I get back to NYC which
    should be around 5 pm hopefully there's no traffic
    Maybe you missed him while basking in the light of Brays "happiness to be here"?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Hey man, I'm with you. I know your the fanboy of Bray, but I'm on the same bandwagon as you. I remember a convo we had years ago, disappointed at the fact that we kept Holmes over Braylon.. and I'm still bitter over that.

He's going to produce here man. I'm talking 60 catches 850 yards, 8 TD's.
    BE hasn't caught more than 50 since 07.

BE never has caught 60 passes as a Jet.

Hasn't caught 60 in the years since leaving the Jets....combined.

Meanwhile in 32 games Holmes has 123 catches.

Just saying....

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    BE hasn't caught more than 50 since 07.

BE never has caught 60 passes as a Jet.

Hasn't caught 60 in the years since leaving the Jets....combined.

Meanwhile in 32 games Holmes has 123 catches.

Just saying....
    I'm not so certain he'd even catch more than 40 this year but you never know....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I'm not so certain he'd even catch more than 40 this year but you never know....
    I wish, like I wish K Ro and his 60 catch prediction would come true.

But the numbers and history begs the question, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    I wish, like I wish K Ro and his 60 catch prediction would come true.

But the numbers and history begs the question, why?
    Jet Nut, you know what I want?

I want Braylon to help MOVE THE CHAINS.

That was something the Jets had a lot of difficulty with last season. Just moving the damn chains so that at the very least, the Defense gets more rest.

But because we had that buttfumbling buffoon at QB, that wasn't an option.

Hopefully Geno takes that starting gig away from him but even if he doesn't, at least with Braylon around to snag off-target passes, the Jets could make something happen on the field of play on offense.....

Jets Insider VIP
    So either

Hill sucked...caught one ball with his body and dropped a bunch ... (K-Ro)

Or

Hill caught everything and was one of the standouts of the practice (KRL and most of the kool aid drinker beat writers

I guess there are many more practices to go to determine which Hill was on the field yesterday.

What IS important is that, in his first TC practice as the starting QB of the NYJ, Smith apparently looked like a seasoned veteran, got the play calls right, his feet right hit accurate targets long and short, didn't fumble, throw picks or get passes batted down, knew the offense and had good chemistry with receivers.

Yes, it's only one practice but those are things the not readys were certain would be a problem

Smith starts again today and hopefully the good signs continue

Hall Of Fame
    I saw the Hill catches on that video and they were fine. The first one (1:50 and 2:15) he did jump a little but he caught it with his hands. If he didn't jump it might have been a fingertip catch so I can't knock him for jumping. The second one at the end of the video was a body catch but the ball was under-thrown to the inside of the field and the defender was behind him and to the outside. I think he made a good adjustment to the ball and caught it. Not sure if he could have reached out and snagged it with his hands based on how the ball was thrown, how he had to adjust and where the defender was. Sure we would like every catch to be a textbook form catch just like coaches would like every tackle to be a textbook form tackle but in real time, on the field with everyone going full speed sometimes you have to adjust and not everything is perfect.

None of them were highlight reel catches but that is fine. We need him to make the routine catches and that is what he did. Baby steps for this kid.

All League

Calvin
    Julio
    Fitz
    Dez
    Thomas
    Marshall
    Cobb
    Harvin
    Jackson
    Cruz

You do realize Thomas and Hill had pretty much identical rookie seasons?

Calvin
    Julio
    Fitz
    Dez
    Thomas
    Marshall
    Cobb
    Harvin
    Jackson
    Cruz

Weird list. Cruz isn't even the best WR on his own team, Harvin isn't top ten . . .

I'm here live, so go with what you want. I really can care less. His one body catch didn't impress me.
    clearly you dont understand the point of doing these reports. its not about kissing ass and playing your favorites and trying to make "your" guys like geno smith look good whether they're playing well or not, and other guys like stephen hill that didnt sign your **** look bad even though they're making a lot of plays. you hit the nail on the head in your first sentence, youre not KRL, that pretty much sums up the quality of your "reports"

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I saw the Hill catches on that video and they were fine. The first one (1:50 and 2:15) he did jump a little but he caught it with his hands. If he didn't jump it might have been a fingertip catch so I can't knock him for jumping. The second one at the end of the video was a body catch but the ball was under-thrown to the inside of the field and the defender was behind him and to the outside. I think he made a good adjustment to the ball and caught it. Not sure if he could have reached out and snagged it with his hands based on how the ball was thrown, how he had to adjust and where the defender was. Sure we would like every catch to be a textbook form catch just like coaches would like every tackle to be a textbook form tackle but in real time, on the field with everyone going full speed sometimes you have to adjust and not everything is perfect.

None of them were highlight reel catches but that is fine. We need him to make the routine catches and that is what he did. Baby steps for this kid.
    Looks to me like he expected walls to get up higher. If he had Hill would have had to reach over him. Of course Hill doesn't look smooth next to all those slot receivers. He's not that type of receiver. Hill needs to beat the jam with his size, and beat his man down field, or sell the down field and shield the defender with his body. Sounds to me like he's been doing that. He's never going to beat defenders with his hips.

Hall Of Fame
    The amount of questioning and downright disrespect for the OP from people who were not even there and have ZERO idea what happened is astonishing.

He went to camp, we didn't. He gave us a report of what he saw and if that p1sses in the Wheaties of some who want nothing but sunshine reports out of training camp then so be it.

What to thank the dude who posted this report. He is obviously a true fan and why would anyone think he is just reporting what he saw. Keep up the good work.