Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Simms starts vs. the Eagles, does that mean Geno is starting opening day?

If Simms starts vs. the Eagles, does that mean Geno is starting opening day?

is this an admission that sanchez is likely out for the opener, and they won't risk losing geno to injury?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Why?

Rex hasn't played the starter in game 4s vs the Eagles every year. So that would mean Simms isn't starting opening day and Sanchez OR Geno could start.

Not seeing how Simms effects opening day and tells us what they're thinking

They should dump game four. It's only purpose is to not get starters injured or nicked up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    They should dump game four. It's only purpose is to not get starters injured or nicked up.
    Coming soon preseason will be 2 games and a 18 game regular season..

So you think a team with Geno Smith/Matt Simms at QB should play the final game the same way a team with Tom Brady would play the game?

Sure it would suck to get hurt in the final pre-season game, but the Jets have issues at QB and need to get the kids Reps in case Sanchez isn't ready or to see if Geno has learned from last weeks mistakes. I would like to see Geno play at least a quarter with our starters to build some confidence. Then let Simms rack up some yards with Spadola/Massaqui

It means Sanchez is injured and his status for the opener depends on how he heals, Geno may start week 1, and the team isn't willing to risk injury to Geno or any other 1st team players - who otherwise mostly won't play - so that they can get a little more live action practice against Eagles backups. It would be a wise move.

Is McElroy still unable to play? If he can play I'd play him at least into the 3rd quarter, then let Simms finish up, have a real 3# QB competition.

All Pro
    I don't think it means anything... I don't think Sanchez or Geno would have played either way.

Game 4 is for showcasing McElroy vs. Simms for the 4 spot.
    Last edited by Austin; 08-27-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

If Rex starts Simms ,I'd say Matt is beingput on display as trade bait!

The only people its important for , is the last set of fringe players trying to make the cut from 75 to 53, otherwise the game is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    So you think a team with Geno Smith/Matt Simms at QB should play the final game the same way a team with Tom Brady would play the game?

Sure it would suck to get hurt in the final pre-season game, but the Jets have issues at QB and need to get the kids Reps in case Sanchez isn't ready or to see if Geno has learned from last weeks mistakes. I would like to see Geno play at least a quarter with our starters to build some confidence. Then let Simms rack up some yards with Spadola/Massaqui
    If Sanchez is hurt enough to not be ready for a few weeks and if Geno Smith gets hurt in the last ex game the **** storm will dwarf the criticism we saw over the Sanchez injury. The jets are a bit of an exception because we have no real viable starter. for 90% of this league the last game is to avoid getting guys hurt at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Coming soon preseason will be 2 games and a 18 game regular season..
    The CFL went to this model years back from 16 and 4 and it has worked very well. And they have smaller rosters than in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    If Rex starts Simms ,I'd say Matt is beingput on display as trade bait!
    For what? A bag of balls. Simms has zero trade value no matter how he plays in game 4

If Sanchez is hurt enough to not be ready for a few weeks and if Geno Smith gets hurt in the last ex game the **** storm will dwarf the criticism we saw over the Sanchez injury. The jets are a bit of an exception because we have no real viable starter. for 90% of this league the last game is to avoid getting guys hurt at all costs.
    yes, i agree, if they know sanchez likely won't be ready for the opener but aren't revealing it, then play geno for a quarter vs the eagles and he gets hurt they will be skewered by the media. and their fans.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Maybe we should forfeit.

Geno needs reps. I would give him 3 or 4 series with 1st team O-line and then let him sit.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post

I agree. Geno should be playing at least a quarter of football this week, even if he is the opening day starter for the same reason Sanchez had to get snaps last week: THEy NEED THE WORK. They are learning a new system, to miss an opportunity to get some live snaps ad gain experience for fear of injury is just dumb. I never understood this. Are the odds suddenly greater that a QB will get hurt in preseason than regular season? Let him play football. If he gets hurt, you start McElroy or Simms. Not like this team is a Super Bowl favorite with a pro bowl QB that has the offense down.

All League
    No. It will be a sign that Mark is hurt pretty bad. If Geno plays extensively then we know Mark will be able to go

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The CFL went to this model years back from 16 and 4 and it has worked very well. And they have smaller rosters than in the NFL.
    What they don't have is a union that doesn't want a 18 game schedule, ownership that voted it down and a massive tv contract already paying bazillions of dollars to the owner and players.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan29 View Post
    Maybe we should forfeit.
    Make that 4-fit as in we have 4 QB's none fit to be starters at this point in time..

All Pro
    Yes. If Geno does not play in the final preseason game, that's a clear indication that he is starting Week 1. It makes absolutely no sense to sit Geno in the final preseason game if he is going to start the season on the bench.

The real question is will Geno be the starter Week 1 if he plays in the final preseason game. It's a toss up IMO. You don't want him getting hurt, but he definitely needs the reps. Do you put Geno out there with the second team offense and risk his health? Do you risk injuring someone on the 1st team offense just for Geno's sake of getting reps?