Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody own any hens?? Need advice.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    HEy peeps.

Was thinking of building a small hen house for 2-3 egg layers. Some of them are pretty, and the kids like breakfast jacks(no ham).

Anybody here offer any wisdom on this subject? Something tells me there is more to it, but im too lazy to read a book.

Would i have to do anything crazy like trim their nails, or lodge some pills up their rear side like ive seen done on tv with cows?

Im sure some of you must have something going. If anybody can offer any info, id be much obliged.

Please dont move me to the farm forum.
    Neighbors have them, I collect the eggs when they are on vacation. I like hens, not roosters at all.

The predator thing - foxes, weasels, hawks, coyotes-even neighborhood dogs.Get ready to lose some and hope you don't lose them all at once.

Our neighbors also had problems with them pecking on each other - I'm not sure of it was the roosters doing the pecking or the hens pecking each other.
    Some of their backs were bare and bloody. She actually made little denim shirts for the ones that were picked on.

Seems like a pain in the azz- and if you make them pets there's bound to be heartache every know and then. Another family had one struck by lightning.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    While i find no problem with eating them, i wont, unless needed. If things dont work out, i figure i would free them down by the creek in early spring so they can have the summer to find a homestead for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Neighbors have them, I collect the eggs when they are on vacation. I like hens, not roosters at all.

The predator thing - foxes, weasels, hawks, coyotes-even neighborhood dogs.Get ready to lose some and hope you don't lose them all at once.

Our neighbors also had problems with them pecking on each other - I'm not sure of it was the roosters doing the pecking or the hens pecking each other.
    Some of their backs were bare and bloody. She actually made little denim shirts for the ones that were picked on.

Seems like a pain in the azz- and if you make them pets there's bound to be heartache every know and then. Another family had one struck by lightning.
    See, I'm telling you, fake is the way to if you can get away with it, lol.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    I'm surprised that you haven't got a lot of hampur volunteers to inseminate them.
    He's getting a lot of PMs right now.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just happened to read this at work a couple days back. Has a good bit of info right here.

"hens lay eggs for two years, but can live for a good decade longer"

Hell I didn't know!

I'm not trying to rain on your plan at all, I think it's a great idea, I guess you just gotta be prepared.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/backya...say-6C10533508

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some for years. The single most useful tip I can give you is to get a henway.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    No lie, I have a friend who just did this in his backyard in Hackensack.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    I had some for years. The single most useful tip I can give you is to get a henway.
    What's a henway?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    What's a henway?
    It's where you put all of the bloody socks

You know... the ones that come out of the bum bum

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Susceptible to dogs, lightning, each other, and demand tiny hen-sized clothing. Sounds like a great asset.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's a henway?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    What's a henway?
    Around two pounds.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the hens are "pretty" ???

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    She actually made little denim shirts for the ones that were picked on.
    I for one would like to see these chicken shirts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    a bunch of coqs in here

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I for one would like to see these chicken shirts.
    Denim shirts are sooooo 1990.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go to any hen party and pick a few up-they'll be anxious to lay, especially the mature ones

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    What's a henway?
    Around two pounds.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

-
    There but for the grace of God, Bushy and a couple of minutes went I. What indeed does a pretty hen weigh.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I hadnt accounted for genocidal issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I just happened to read this at work a couple days back. Has a good bit of info right here.

"hens lay eggs for two years, but can live for a good decade longer"

Hell I didn't know!

I'm not trying to rain on your plan at all, I think it's a great idea, I guess you just gotta be prepared.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/backya...say-6C10533508
    Great info, and no, i wasnt aware of that.... Only 2 years of eggs seems like a lot of work for a lifetime of elderly care for them.

Researching now. Thanks peeps.

-[/QUOTE]