Thread: Big Kenrick is here to stay...

Big Kenrick is here to stay...

Not too many people have paid him any attention, afterall the Jets went and got Garay, Richardson and Snacky Big Dame Harrison has stolen some of his thunder, but Ellis is the closest thing to Jenkins we have on our roster. A player big enough to sit on the nose but still quick enough to penetrate and cause havoc. The big man has been showing signs of dominance lately and the only way to handle him is by doubling him.

Question: What happens when you play all four at the same time? Coples, Richardson, Ellis and Wilkerson? That's a lot if beef coming at you!

From your lips to God's ears

I don't even need the guy to be a "lil Jenks" (though it would be nice!) We just need as much talent as possible to step up on this roster. Every player that steps up his game makes it that little bit easier for the guy next to him, and next thing you know we don't just have a dominant defense on paper (like the past few years), but we actually have something game/season-changing . . .

Sorry mods, can you merge these two threads? I hit submit twice by mistake.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I like the other " Big Kenrick is here to stay" better

I totally agree. I think this is his coming out year. Looking for big things from Ellis. I do think he can and will be a dominate player in 2013. I am so ready for this season to begin. Really hope that Coples works out at OLB cause if he does this defense is going to be very, very good.

Hall Of Fame
    Loved this kid the first time I saw him after we drafted him. Needs to work on his pad level and has to stay healthy. But with his size and strength the sky is the limit. IMO his first season was a wash b.c of his legal issues so I view this as his second year and with Dunbar coaching him I expect him to take the next step.

Baby Jenks

What an awful thread. The other one just like it, however, is great.

Jets Insider VIP
    How many Kenrick Ellises do we have?

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    What an awful thread. The other one just like it, however, is great.

Shadapp Mcfairy! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Question: What happens when you play all four at the same time? Coples, Richardson, Ellis and Wilkerson?
    You have the makings of the next NY Sack Exchange

also like wrecking CREW

Ellis provides the beef but Richardson is the missing ingredient, really looking forward to seeing Brady get knocked in the dirt

Guys you are finally seeing what Rex has in mind for the defense he wants. It might be another year or two before it is totally complete, but when it's done it's going to be out right scary.
    Now we need to let Marty build his offense thru the draft and F/A and this team could be a very long term competitor in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    You have the makings of the next NY Sack Exchange

also like wrecking CREW

Ellis provides the beef but Richardson is the missing ingredient, really looking forward to seeing Brady get knocked in the dirt

Kenrick can move though, he's not just a big stiff, one of the reasons they drafted him was because his quickness and pursuit. They can stunt him all the long inside and outside with Mo or Coples or inside with Rich. This 4some lends itself for some wicked tricks.

We won't have to rely on the linebackers so much for the rush, that's why you're seeing a lot more corner and safety blitzes. This will allow our LB's to roam more in the zone and shadow TE's and WR's, you know Rex has to be licking his chops.

I like what I've seen from Kenrick in a very limited sample.

If you comb through all of what's been written about him - the only "negative" is his injury history and people saying that "if he was better, he'd have gotten more playing time."

I remember feeling the same way about Sione Pouha for the first few year he was on the squad - and that turned out just fine. NT is a position where it takes a few years to hit your stride - I'm hopeful that if Ellis can stay healthy he'll be a cog on what should be a pretty dominant D-line.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    I like what I've seen from Kenrick in a very limited sample.

If you comb through all of what's been written about him - the only "negative" is his injury history and people saying that "if he was better, he'd have gotten more playing time."

I remember feeling the same way about Sione Pouha for the first few year he was on the squad - and that turned out just fine. NT is a position where it takes a few years to hit your stride - I'm hopeful that if Ellis can stay healthy he'll be a cog on what should be a pretty dominant D-line.
    The only real problem from Kendrick is that he starts to peek in the backfield, usually later in the game, which would mean he's either tired, or loses focus. So far his pass rush has been good for a NT, but when he stands up he gets pushed back sometimes 10 yards, or pancaked. Big plays or not, we can't have that. The most important thing for a NT is to anchor vs the run, even if you're combo blocked. If he stops with those lapses he'll get more playing time, but if he can't then Snacks/Garay(on 3rd down) is going to steal his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Kenrick can move though, he's not just a big stiff, one of the reasons they drafted him was because his quickness and pursuit. They can stunt him all the long inside and outside with Mo or Coples or inside with Rich. This 4some lends itself for some wicked tricks.

We won't have to rely on the linebackers so much for the rush, that's why you're seeing a lot more corner and safety blitzes. This will allow our LB's to roam more in the zone and shadow TE's and WR's, you know Rex has to be licking his chops.
    Agreed, it should be fun to watch, guess it will depend on who they double team

Would love nothing more than to see the kid perform well this year.... Just have not seen much in terms of performance on the field to get overly excited regarding this player..... There are 2 other NT that should make the final roster....

hopefully he can stay healthy .... excellent size, good strength and quickness... let's see if can be relied on...

Big fan of Kenrick and I also think this will be the year he puts it all together.

He was simply not skilled enough at 6'4+ to contribute as an NFL rookie coming from a small school at NT as the position requires such a vast amount of technique, which is even harder at his height. Last year he was banged up but every once in a while you could see flashes of dominant physical ability.

Hopefully now he can put it all together and give us 35-40 real good snaps per game.

As for the front 4 of Coples, Richardson, Ellis and Will - the best part is that they have the size to be out there with Harris and Demario and 5 DBs as they should be strong and stout enough to not need a 3rd LB out there.

Hopefully he can stay healthy. If he can I think he'll be a productive starting NT.

Hall Of Fame
    Other teams will be sniffing around our waiver wire for DL cuts. I really cannot remember another time when we could say that.

My fingers have been crossed on Kenrick for a while. Good to hear some early positives from camp.