Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting, FS battle no longer between Bush and Allen...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Antonio Allen actually shut down every single tight end his last year in college at SC

There is nothing that ever suggested he can't or doesn't have the ability and talent to cover, just that he never played a free safety role....he played more of an in the box/ hybrid position

But I watched him every game in college and literally never saw him get burned over the top once.....in fact he was actually pretty good overall in pass coverage......And like I said before, made a living shutting down tight ends

I think in our Nickel and Dime D we will probably shift Allen up (in the Eric Smith role) and bring in Josh Bush as the center fielder/FS.....But I guess on 1st downs Allen/Landry will start which is fine
    Agree 100% about Allen. I think he can definitely keep up with most TEs in the league and is really good at coming up in run support and blitzing. He can cover ground as well ran a 4.5 at his pro day, so he isnt exactly a one dimensional run support safety.

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Antonio Allen actually shut down every single tight end his last year in college at SC

There is nothing that ever suggested he can't or doesn't have the ability and talent to cover, just that he never played a free safety role....he played more of an in the box/ hybrid position

But I watched him every game in college and literally never saw him get burned over the top once.....in fact he was actually pretty good overall in pass coverage......And like I said before, made a living shutting down tight ends

I think in our Nickel and Dime D we will probably shift Allen up (in the Eric Smith role) and bring in Josh Bush as the center fielder/FS.....But I guess on 1st downs Allen/Landry will start which is fine
    allen is an in the box safety, the furthest thing from a center fielder. you even said it, he's not being used as a classic free safety because he cant do it, its not because he's too good for it. come on now. comparing him from covering TE's as an in the box safety in college to what a center fielder in the nfl is supposed to be like is like comparing 2 totally different positions/tasks. one has nothing to do with the other. every SS has to be able to cover TE's, thats the one thing they HAVE TO BE ABLE to do. otherwise they wouldnt play that position. OLB's even have to cover TE's, that doesnt mean they can be center fielders. by all accounts, allen is best suited for the SS role, in the box, playing the run, covering TE's if he's capable of doing that at this level. thats it. he's not a center fielder, not close to what bush brings to the table in terms of pure range in the backfield. if you're gonna argue well he might be able to do this and that the same can be said about bush and company, we're not gonna get anywhere by doing that. we know bush is a center fielder, we know allen is an in the box safety, at least thats sort of what we know from what they have done so far in their career. everything else is just pure speculation. allen is not a complete safety, if he was that good he would be a pro bowler by now, instead he got cut just last year. nobody is arguing that the guy cant cover anything. if he can cover TE's then he should be an in the box safety. covering guys like desean jackson downfield on a 90 yard bomb is a little different from covering tony gonzalez on a 2 yard slant

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    allen is an in the box safety, the furthest thing from a center fielder. you even said it, he's not being used as a classic free safety because he cant do it, its not because he's too good for it. come on now. comparing him from covering TE's as an in the box safety in college to what a center fielder in the nfl is supposed to be like is like comparing 2 totally different positions/tasks. one has nothing to do with the other. every SS has to be able to cover TE's, thats the one thing they HAVE TO BE ABLE to do. otherwise they wouldnt play that position. OLB's even have to cover TE's, that doesnt mean they can be center fielders. by all accounts, allen is best suited for the SS role, in the box, playing the run, covering TE's if he's capable of doing that at this level. thats it. he's not a center fielder, not close to what bush brings to the table in terms of pure range in the backfield. if you're gonna argue well he might be able to do this and that the same can be said about bush and company, we're not gonna get anywhere by doing that. we know bush is a center fielder, we know allen is an in the box safety, at least thats sort of what we know from what they have done so far in their career. everything else is just pure speculation. allen is not a complete safety, if he was that good he would be a pro bowler by now, instead he got cut just last year. nobody is arguing that the guy cant cover anything. if he can cover TE's then he should be an in the box safety. covering guys like desean jackson downfield on a 90 yard bomb is a little different from covering tony gonzalez on a 2 yard slant
    I just think of Allen as an "all-around" safety, not JUST in the box even though that's where he played in college......The Gamecocks had DJ Swearinger (2nd round pick by Houston in the 2013 draft) at FS, otherwise Allen may have played there

He is very good at shutting down opposing tight ends and blitzing off the edge, which is something Rex loves doing

Rex loves to have 2 guys who are good against the run as his starting safeties.....Allen and Landry fit that bill, and Allen is "good enough" in coverage to get away with it

In obvious passing down and distances, we will probably bring in Josh Bush and shift Landry or Allen up as an LB/S

Rex knows what he's doing on D
    Last edited by King Koopa; 08-01-2013 at 12:37 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I have a feeling Jarret is going to win the job...that kid is going to be the summers biggest surprise....I feel he found his niche with the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    It's between Allen and Jarret, but all three are making the team. Rex wants to groom Bush to take over for Landry, he's the more cerebral one, remember, it will be Landry who will set everyone and call the secondary plays, blitzes and things of that nature, Rex thinks Bush is a natural at that. Allen brings length and athleticism, he's been getting praised for his pass coverage. I remember him at S.Carolina, he was like an extra linebacker for them, didn't think he would have such good range for a FS but apparently he does. Jarrett is just an ass kicking machine, he's a heat seeking missile, go back and watch some Temple highlights and you'll see what I mean, Rontez Miles is a similar kind of player, just fearless. I do think Allen will win that job though, he's more of a big play maker, he has that flair.