Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Dee Milliner be an island ? ? ?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Aaron Glenn was just on the radio ... When asked to describe Milliner these were the words he used:

Confident
    Ability to challenge
    Drive to compete
    Mentally strong
    Talking to him, you know he's a corner
    Great length and speed
    Competitive
    Likes to press & challenge you

Nice endorsement from a class act at the position

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Aaron Glenn was just on the radio ... When asked to describe Milliner these were the words he used:

Confident
    Ability to challenge
    Drive to compete
    Mentally strong
    Talking to him, you know he's a corner
    Great length and speed
    Competitive
    Likes to press & challenge you

Nice endorsement from a class act at the position
    cool ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Rookie Dee Milliner has strong game in Jets debut

Quarterback Geno Smith wasn’t the only high-profile Jets rookie to make his professional debut in last night’s preseason opener against the Lions. Cornerback Dee Milliner started opposite Antonio Cromartie and faced receiver Nate Burleson, who debuted in the NFL 10 years ago, to open the game.

Detroit tested Milliner on its second drive, when Matthew Stafford took a shot at the end zone on first-and-10 from the Jets’ 29-yard line. But Milliner kept pace with Patrick Edwards and broke up the pass in the end zone — a strong early showing by a rookie who didn’t participate in any team activities before training camp because of shoulder surgery.Milliner had been dealing with calf tightness during camp, but clearly, when he is healthy, he has significant potential. After playing three seasons at Alabama, Milliner was drafted ninth overall in April.

The Jets needed a cornerback because they traded Darrelle Revis to Tampa Bay. That left Cromartie as the team’s top corner, a role he occupied for almost all of last season, because Revis was injured.Jets coach Rex Ryan has raved about Milliner, who is widely expected to grab the starting spot opposite Cromartie. That would leave CB Kyle Wilson, who stepped in as a starter last year, to play a multi-purpose role in the secondary.Friday night, Ryan wasn’t entirely pleased with Milliner’s performance, as the coach said he missed a tackle and played too far off a running back in coverage, rather than pressing up on the back.

• There was some uncertainty about whether wide receiver Braylon Edwards and tight end Kellen Winslow would play Friday, but both did, though they didn’t see much action.Winslow’s highlight was a 24-yard catch from Mark Sanchez along the sideline. Edwards caught the first pass of the second half, a five-yarder from Smith.Edwards and Winslow, who are both 30 years old, were signed in the offseason to bolster the Jets’ lackluster passing offense. The Jets have limited Winslow’s reps in training camp, because he has undergone knee surgeries. Winslow played just one game last season with New England."He’s still got great hands," Ryan said. "Excellent route runner."

• It didn’t take long for Quinton Coples to show up last night. Coples, who is moving from defensive end to outside linebacker in the Jets’ 3-4 defense, batted down Lions QB Matt Stafford’s pass on the game’s first play.But just because Coples is listed as an outside linebacker, and will play in the second level, doesn’t mean he has totally abandoned the line. He will line up on the edge, standing up as a pass-rushing threat, as he did several times last night.

• Storms and heavy rain rolled through Cortland, N.Y., on Thursday, but the Jets’ training camp practice field was not affected, a SUNY Cortland spokesman told the Associated Press. The Jets return to Cortland Sunday and break camp Wednesday. ... Third-string left guard Dennis Landolt was helped off in the third quarter with a knee injury. Reserve RB John Griffin suffered what appears to be a lower leg fracture, Ryan said.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ets_debut.html

One thing was absolutely positively clear ....

Dee is already light years ahead of Kyle in terms on technique.

He looks like the real deal.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    One thing was absolutely positively clear ....

Dee is already light years ahead of Kyle in terms on technique.

He looks like the real deal.
    he looks like a keeper

Hall Of Fame
    Rookie cornerback Dee Milliner had some ups and downs in his Jets debut.

Milliner, who missed all spring practices while recovering from shoulder surgery, looked like he still was shaking off the rust a bit in Friday night’s preseason-opening 26-17 loss to the Lions.Detroit went after Milliner on its second drive, as Matthew Stafford threw to the end zone from the Jets’ 29 toward Patrick Edwards, but Milliner had good coverage and batted the ball away.On the down side, Milliner missed a tackle and got beat on one long pass from the Lions’ second unit. Jets coach Rex Ryan also said Milliner made a mental error on one coverage.

The No. 9 overall pick out of Alabama was happy with his performance overall.“It was definitely exciting,” Milliner said. “It was a good feeling. I felt I did good. There is always room for improvement, though. We came out and had a good game. Unfortunately, we had a loss but we are going to go back and watch film and try to get better.”

Milliner said he knows he has things to improve.

“Just need to go out there with a plan,” he said. “Just need to get in a rhythm of playing. It was my first NFL game so I needed to get in a rhythm and just get out there instead of going through the motions. I needed to adapt to the speed of the game.”

* The Jets lost another running back Friday night when John Griffin suffered a broken leg. They have been without Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson for all of training camp and Joe McKnight for some of it. That has left them extremely thin at the position.The Jets are in the market to add another running back. Former Rutgers star Joe Martinek had a tryout yesterday in Cortland, according to his agent, Donal Henderson. Martinek spent time on the Giants practice squad last year.

* Rookie wide receiver Ryan Spadola had the most snaps of any Jet on offense Friday night with 37. Safeties Jaiquawn Jarrett and Josh Bush each had 50 snaps, the most of anyone on defense.

> http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...m_content=Jets

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    Well, since Dee Island sounds kinda weird, I'm prepared to unleash my nickname for him:

Tenacious Dee

Remember folks, you heard it here first!
    How about Milliner Island.

I watched him on a few plays in preseason game 1. The kid can flat out cover. I didn't realize he has 4.37 speed. This kid can stay with any WR.

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    • There was some uncertainty about whether wide receiver Braylon Edwards and tight end Kellen Winslow would play Friday, but both did, though they didn’t see much action.Winslow’s highlight was a 24-yard catch from Mark Sanchez along the sideline. Edwards caught the first pass of the second half, a five-yarder from Smith.Edwards and Winslow, who are both 30 years old, were signed in the offseason to bolster the Jets’ lackluster passing offense. The Jets have limited Winslow’s reps in training camp, because he has undergone knee surgeries. Winslow played just one game last season with New England."He’s still got great hands," Ryan said. "Excellent route runner."
    Edwards also caught an 18-yarder from McElroy later on, got drilled, but got up because he's one tough S.O.B.

But I guess anything that doesn't involve Geno Smith doesn't count apparently....

And to think people were crying and having nervous breakdowns that we took Milliner over Warmack or Eifert. Milliner is going to be 10x the player of either of those two. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post

I watched him on a few plays in preseason game 1. The kid can flat out cover. I didn't realize he has 4.37 speed. This kid can stay with any WR.
    How about Deez nuts

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    Well, since Dee Island sounds kinda weird, I'm prepared to unleash my nickname for him:

Tenacious Dee

Remember folks, you heard it here first!
    Or he could be a Mill stone around a receivers neck..

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post

How about Tsunam-Dee ,the big wave that removed the Island!

Hall Of Fame
    Milliner-Tyme

I just want him to be a good CB. I have no expectation that he will ever be even in the realm of Revis, he's a once in a generation type of player.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Milliner played against much better college competition (Alabama/Pitt), was considered a top five draftee (Me-vis never was) and was drafted at 9 (Me-vis went at 16).

Rex is just trying to lower expectations but it's definitely possible that DM can be as good or better than Me-vis
    This is kind of insane logic. That's like saying Justin Blackmon can be better than Jerry Rice (Or tons of QBs better than Montana or Brady) because he faced better competition and was a tagged to be a top 10 pick at one point. Once a guy is drafted (and is starting) it's not relevant where he was drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    How about Deez nuts
    LOL

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    How about Deez nuts
    LOL we have a winner!!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I just want him to be a good CB. I have no expectation that he will ever be even in the realm of Revis, he's a once in a generation type of player.
    Yeah I agree.

Personally, I don't believe any knowledgeable football fan that is reasonable would compare the Milliner pick to the Revis trade. Sure, the media will make the comparison to sell papers and get hits, and the casual fan will by this as a legit way to judge the Revis trade, but in reality it is not logical.

Revis is the best Corner I have seen play in my 30 years on this earth not named Prime Time. The man went toe to toe, one on one, week after week, with the opposing teams top wide out.....from Andre to Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith to Randy Moss, and everyone in between. I have never witnessed another corner have the ability to totally erase top tier talent on such a dominant and consistent basis. For anyone to expect Milliner to be able to match that type of play would have to be either ignorant or insane in my opinion.

As long as Milliner can produce and play at the level of a top tier, #1 corner in the league by his third year I will be more than happy.....and from what little I saw last Friday night, I am more than confident he has the talent and potential to become a true #1 CB in the NFL some day.....really like this pick!

Jets Insider VIP
    I get the feeling that Dee will only be limited by his health. As long as he's healthy he'll be a great starting CB for us.

TappaLappinAndClappin'WhileFappin' via TapaTalk

There's only one island and his name is Revis. Hopefully after week 1 he gets back to being the old Revis because it's a wonder to watch.
    Milliner just needs to be himself. He may not shut people down entirely but if he's better than Kyle Wilson we'll be fine at the cornerback position.