Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Dee Milliner be an island ? ? ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    There's only one island and his name is Revis. Hopefully after week 1 he gets back to being the old Revis because it's a wonder to watch.
    Milliner just needs to be himself. He may not shut people down entirely but if he's better than Kyle Wilson we'll be fine at the cornerback position.
    he already is bettter than wilson

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    LOL we have a winner!!!
    No man is an island... but if your WR wants to score he's still gotta get deez nuts first

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    No man is an island... but ALL women are
    fixed ^ ^

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Aaron Glenn was just on the radio ... When asked to describe Milliner these were the words he used:

Confident
    Ability to challenge
    Drive to compete
    Mentally strong
    Talking to him, you know he's a corner
    Great length and speed
    Competitive
    Likes to press & challenge you

Nice endorsement from a class act at the position
    Ringing endorsement from a great ex-Jet CB. I just hope he turns out to be a great CB in his own right and there are no comparisions to Mevis. Use of ISLAND denotes a comparison! Dee can do the job and hopefully be great in his own right!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    he already is bettter than wilson
    Yes and its not even close. Wilson is a mediocre Nickelback who looked awful against the Lions. Thank God we drafted Milliner probably the best pick we made in some time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Yes and its not even close. Wilson is a mediocre Nickelback who looked awful against the Lions. Thank God we drafted Milliner probably the best pick we made in some time.
    if he is as productive in the nfl as he was in college...cool ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dee Milliner received his first experience with New York Jets fans during his three weeks at SUNY Cortland training camp. Our top draft choice even has had a little exposure to his new home, MetLife Stadium."I passed by the stadium a couple of times when I was up here in New York for the draft," said the former Alabama cornerback. Did he actually get a tour of the building? "No, I've never been inside," he said. "But I rode by it when I was enjoying the scenery."

Milliner said it will be "a great feeling" to get exposure to his new fans and his new home scenery from the inside on Saturday night when the Jets host the Jacksonville Jaguars in their preseason home opener. It's a night that he genuinely seems to be looking forward to."You've always got to be excited to see the fans," he said, "engage with them, give some high-fives, some hugs, see a smile on their face. They're out there for you, happy to see you succeed. They’re out there to support you so you always have to be excited about that."

At first I thought Milliner might be a little standoffish toward his new followers, but I think now that right after he was drafted he was still getting his Big Apple bearings. He may have received three years of NFL prep, glitter and counseling from Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide national championship program, but before that he was small-town Alabama born and bred.So maybe he's not as bubbly as his fellow first-rounder, DT Sheldon Richardson (profiled Thursday in advance of his first game at MetLife against the Jags), but Dee Milliner's personable enough and ready to rock from the get-go as a starting corner in the base defense. And that is a product of his ability to perform at a high level no matter what the environment.

"I’m cool in any situation. I’m a laid-back, relaxed type of guy," he told me earlier this week back in Cortland. "You’ve got to learn how to adapt real quickly. So I just lay back, I play football. That’s my job."Milliner showed some of what he'll bring to the table in green and white with his breakup of Matt Stafford's end zone ball for WR Patrick Edwards in the first quarter of the Detroit game last Friday."You’ve got to pride yourself on making plays. It was a good play right there," he said. "The D-line gave me a rush like they did, and my safety was in the spot, if [Edwards] would’ve run an inside route he could’ve helped me. So I just played where I was supposed to be at."

As you can see, Milliner spreads the praise around to his teammates, and he also doesn't shy away from his minus plays. He talked about certain times he got beat on by the Lions. And when I told him in the Ford Field visitors' locker room that I thought for sure WR Matt Willis came down out of bounds on the replay challenge that was reversed into a 27-yard completion, he didn't hesitate.

"Nah, he was inbounds," Dee said. "He got his elbow down."

We're getting the sense that as time goes on, not many opponents' receivers will be keeping key parts of their body inbounds with the ball in their possession against Milliner."He’s been very impressive," said Antonio Cromartie, the corner opposite Dee and one of the key spokesmen for our defense this year. "We know what he can do on the field. We just want to make sure that when he goes on the field, he doesn’t have to think about anything, he just can go out there and play football."Milliner feels that way about his fellow Class of '13 draft picks, who all will be getting their first experiences in front of the new home fans Saturday night.

"We know when we’re out there, they drafted us, so we want to go out there and be able to produce right away," he said. "And it's going to be a great feeling to get in front of our fans and our support and try to get us a win in this preseason."

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...5-34e93733af5d

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets' first depth chart, released a couple weeks ago while the team was training in Cortland, N.Y., sent a clear message regarding Dee Milliner: The rookie will not be treated with kid gloves.

Milliner, the Jets' top draft pick in April, is a starting cornerback in August. Last night, the Jacksonville Jaguars introduced a gameplan the Jets figure to see frequently this season. With Antonio Cromartie, the Pro Bowler last season, stationed on the right side of the defensive alignment, the Jaguars focused their attack, runs and passes, at Milliner.

"You’re going to get that a lot," Milliner said. "I’m the new guy out there. And I’m opposite a great DB in Antonio Cromartie. I’m going to get a lot of attention. They’re going to try me all the time. I’ve just got to be alert and make more plays."

The Jaguars established the strategy on their first play, when Ace Sanders caught a pass in front of Milliner and gained 35 yards.

On the second series, Milliner also struggled. He allowed three receptions, and twice was blocked out of a play by a wide receiver. After the the series, Cromartie conferred with Milliner on the sideline. Milliner said Cromartie was pointing out adjustments that the rookie had missed.

** Quinton Coples, the outside linebacker and defensive end hybrid, walked gingerly to the locker room before the end of the first half. It appeared the Jets training staff was examining Coples' right lower leg. Rex Ryan, the Jets coach, did not provide an update on Coples' status.

** Jaiquawn Jarrett started alongside Dawan Landry at safety. While Landry led the team with eight tackles in the first half, Jarrett demonstrated why he has shot into the starting lineup. On the Jaguars' final possession of the half, Jarrett crept towards the line of scrimmage and tackled Denard Robinson after a hand-off.

** The Jets announced last night that former defensive tackle Marty Lyons will be inducted into the team’s Ring of Honor on Oct. 13, at halftime of the game against Pittsburgh.

Lyons played in the NFL from 1979-89, all with the Jets, who drafted him 14th out of Alabama. He was a founding member of the New York Sack Exchange. He had 29 career sacks, a stat that became official in 1982. He was given the NFL’s Walter Payton Man of the Year Award in 1984. He currently provides color commentary for the Jets’ radio broadcasts.

The Jets created their Ring of Honor in 2010. Six men were inducted in 2010, four in 2011 and two last year.

“That’s definitely deserved and I’ll be proud to see you in there for sure,” Ryan told Lyons to begin his press conference.

** In addition to quarterback Geno Smith, the Jets’ other inactive players last night were starting defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis (back), offensive guard Brian Winters (ankle), center Dalton Freeman (center), fullback Lex Hilliard (ribs), linebacker Josh Mauga (back), punter Robert Malone, wide receiver Santonio Holmes (foot) and running back Joe McKnight (head). … The Jaguars were without offensive tackle Luke Joeckel, the No. 2 pick in this year’s draft, who has a sore hip.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ttack_him.html

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    As all know, there is a huge different look to the defense, for the first time since Rex Ryan arrived. Gone are Sione Po’uha, Mike DeVito, Bart Scott, Aaron Maybin, and Eric Smith. In their places are younger, and faster players. The difference has been huge, and has not gone unnoticed by leader Antonio Cromartie. Here is what he had to say on team speed:

It’s very noticeable. For one, you have guys running to the ball, soaring to the ball and that’s all that we’re trying to do. When you’re keeping things simple and making sure guys can go out there and play full speed, it makes things a lot easier for guys (to) go out there and go play full speed.With that, however, you need veteran leadership. That will come, with Cromartie on the outside, and you have Dawan Landry on the inside. It may be his first year here, but he has been in Rex’s defense before with the Ravens. Here is Cro on having Landry around:

Definitely, Dawan is doing a heck of a job for us. This is his sixth year in this defense, coming into this defense, so he’s only been two years removed from it. He knows the defense as a whole, he knows everything, (and) he knows all the answers, all of it. When you have a field general that knows the ins and outs, it makes things a little easier for the defensive backs and also for the linebackers.

This defense has the potential to surprise people. With Cromartie at the helm, and his maturity, nothing seems impossible. If only the offense can keep up………

> http://thejetpress.com/2013/08/15/ne...nd-experience/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rookie Dee Milliner may have been tapped to start at cornerback this season opposite Antonio Cromartie, but it has been apparent in the preseason that he has a long way to go before he merits comparison to Darrelle Revis.

During Saturday night's preseason game vs. Jacksonville, Milliner didn’t go hard off the line of scrimmage and allowed too much space in man-to-man coverage as the Jaguars scored on their first possession of the game.“For him it’s a learning experience,” Cromartie said. “For this game, it’s the second preseason game for him and we expect more from him than we saw tonight. That’s something that he needs to learn from and he has to come out with a great attitude and get ready for the next week when we get ready to play guys like Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz. When we come to Week One, we have to play two of the best receivers in the NFL with Vincent Jackson and also Mike Williams.”For most other rookies, there might be time to grow, but Milliner was taken with a first-round pick during the offseason that Revis left for Tampa Bay. Incidentally, the Buccaneers are the very team the Jets will face in the first game of the regular season, and the comparisons between Milliner and one of -- if not the best -- corners in the league will be stark.

Even Ryan, who loves nothing more than a solid corner, iterated the flaws in Milliner's game against the Jags.“I didn’t like the way we competed and challenged on the outside -- not so much Cromartie, but from Dee,” Ryan said. “When we call on him, I want him to get up there. Let’s go. Let’s play.”Clearly, the Jets would like to see more aggressiveness out of Milliner, who played for Alabama last year and had shoulder surgery during the offseason. The 6-foot, 201-pound rookie briefly held out before signing his contract, and the Jets brought him along gradually at first.It wasn’t long though until Ryan said Milliner would be opposite Cromartie in man coverage, while CB Kyle Wilson will play a more versatile role as a safety and nickel.

Ryan and Jets general manager John Idzik have said that Milliner will be judged on his own merits, not in terms of filling Revis’s cleats, but if the Jets' defense continues to struggle as they did against the Jaguars, Milliner could take some heat.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ackluster-play

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dee Milliner needs to be aggressive in the 1st 5yds and check the WRs. He was too timid in his play in preseason.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Dee Milliner needs to be aggressive in the 1st 5yds and check the WRs. He was too timid in his play in preseason.
    he's a rookie...he'll learn

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Antonio Cromartie says Dee Milliner should take Rex Ryan's criticism as a 'challenge'
    Cromartie said that as a rookie cornerback, Milliner will have quarterbacks targeting him until he proves he can stop them.

Cornerback and ninth overall pick Dee Milliner sat out parts of Tuesday’s practice because of lingering soreness in his calf, according to Rex Ryan. Milliner first had tightness back in Cortland, but quickly returned to the practice field. Ryan said that still hasn’t gone away, so Milliner took it easy on Tuesday.Ryan had been critical of Milliner’s play against the Lions in the first preseason game, something fellow cornerback Antonio Cromartie said Milliner should take “as a challenge.”

“Like I tell him, it’s all about being a man and just stepping up to the challenge,” Cromartie said. “I think it’s great from what Rex is doing. It’s a challenge. We all look forward to seeing how he’s going to step up this week.”Cromartie said that as a rookie, Milliner will have quarterbacks targeting him until he proves he can stop them.“Yeah, it’s a given, to be honest with you. You want to expect that and you want to step up to the challenge so that you are the guy on the outside that everyone is expecting you to be,” Cromartie said. “That’s just something that as a rookie corner that you’re going to have to fight.”

THAT’S LOW

Kellen Winslow Jr. isn’t buying Texans rookie safety D.J. Swearinger’s rationale for his low hit that resulted in a season-ending knee injury for Dolphins tight end Dustin Keller last weekend.Keller, who played the past five seasons with the Jets, tore his ACL, MCL and PCL and dislocated his knee on the play. Winslow thinks low hits aimed at defenseless players should be outlawed.“It’s just the way he was hit ... he’s defenseless,” Winslow told the Daily News. “That’s not cool. That hit should be illegal. You shouldn’t be knifing in at a guy’s knees when they’re not able to protect themselves.”Swearinger defended himself, saying that “with the rules in this era, you’ve got to hit low.”Winslow said the league should treat low hits to defenseless players the same way it does helmet-to-helmet hits.

SAFETY DANCE

Ryan said he will let the safety competition play out through the rest of the preseason and will start Antonio Allen against the Giants and Jaiquawn Jarrett against his former team, the Eagles.

ELLIS ISLAND

Nose tackle Kenrick Ellis (back) did not practice on Tuesday, though Ryan didn’t seem particularly concerned about it. The coach said he was anxious to have Ellis back, but wasn’t exactly worried about the situation.

> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1432369

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    fyi :

Player Updates - August 27, 2013 2:18 pm
    Dee Milliner expected to play Week 1

by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

Jets rookie cornerback Dee Milliner, who did not practice Tuesday with a nagging calf injury, won't play in Thursday's preseason finale but should play in the season opener, coach Rex Ryan told the New York Post.

> http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players...SSports.com%29

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    fyi :

Player Updates - August 27, 2013 2:18 pm
    Dee Milliner expected to play Week 1

by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

Jets rookie cornerback Dee Milliner, who did not practice Tuesday with a nagging calf injury, won't play in Thursday's preseason finale but should play in the season opener, coach Rex Ryan told the New York Post.

> http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players...SSports.com%29
    *sojf warning*

Whilst i fully inted to root for Deez, and honestly hope he succeeds here, i must not be alone when i say this guy seems to be injury plagued.

I know, i know, all those injuries never cost him a game at the collegiate level, and hell, they may not cost him any games as a pro, but at the minimum, those injuries have already curbed his training camp by about 95%.

Not good for a CB in a RR system.

EDIT: #FreeTheKerley
    Last edited by sdJETSetter; 08-28-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    *sojf warning*

Whilst i fully inted to root for Deez, and honestly hope he succeeds here, i must not be alone when i say this guy seems to be injury plagued.

I know, i know, all those injuries never cost him a game at the collegiate level, and hell, they may not cost him any games as a pro, but at the minimum, those injuries have already curbed his training camp by about 95%.

Not good for a CB in a RR system.

EDIT: #FreeTheKerley
    good point...hopefully he is done with the " injury bug "

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Milliner played against much better college competition (Alabama/Pitt), was considered a top five draftee (Me-vis never was) and was drafted at 9 (Me-vis went at 16).

Rex is just trying to lower expectations but it's definitely possible that DM can be as good or better than Me-vis
    I would settle for a guy that makes plays and doesn't get all the attention that Revis got ; and not get caught in holding out etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I would settle for a guy that makes plays and doesn't get all the attention that Revis got ; and not get caught in holding out etc.
    me too

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    A peninsula maybe, but he's no island.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    A peninsula maybe, but he's no island.
    ...not yet