Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Can Dee Milliner be an island ? ? ?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Same for all our CBs. They press and don't try to use their hands which is meaningless.
    Reminds me of watching the Knicks after the NBA started enforcing the no-handcheck rule. Incredibly frustrating...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    - Dee Milliner isn't just good enough to start Sunday against the Saints, he's good enough to be the NFL's best rookie cornerback by season's end, according to Rex Ryan.

The bold proclamation was delivered three days after Ryan benched Milliner for the second time in the past five games. But nevertheless, there was Ryan Wednesday, waxing poetic about his ninth overall pick who was torched for 108 yards and a touchdown on four catches during a 49-9 rout in Cincinnati.

A growing percentage of Jets fans already are labeling the former Alabama star a "bust,'' but Ryan spoke glowingly of his struggling cornerback.

"He's a lot closer than I think he's being given credit for,'' he said, declaring that Milliner will start against New Orleans (6-1). "He's close to being that player that we want.

"By the time the season's over, I think he will be the best rookie corner and playing better than any rookie corner in this year's draft. I don't think there's any doubt.''

It was an expert misdirection by a coach looking to diffuse the narrative that his team may have wasted its first overall pick. Ryan, known as the ultimate players' coach, has used this tactic before: pumping up his own guys in the media in hopes that a newfound self-confidence will emerge on game day. Past Jets seasons are littered with names of players Ryan deemed bona fide talents: Wayne Hunter . . . Vernon Gholston . . . Vladimir Ducasse . . . John "The Terminator'' Conner . . . Kyle Wilson. But Ryan insisted his assessment of Milliner isn't just his typical hyperbole.

"I just see him getting better. I do,'' he said of Milliner, whom he benched in Week 2 against New England. He gave up two completions for 46 yards and a touchdown in that game.

"In all facets, schematically, he's not making the same mental errors. I see his technique coming.''

This past Sunday, the Bengals' Andy Dalton torched Milliner from the opening drive and threw the first of his five touchdowns with Milliner trying to cover Marvin Jones. Milliner didn't even make it to halftime.

"I benched him because physically, he wasn't getting it done,'' a frustrated Ryan said after the game.

On Wednesday, Ryan explained that confidence is critical for both cornerbacks and quarterbacks. So instead of letting Milliner continue to flounder in Cincinnati, "there were a couple of plays where it was like, 'Nah, you know what? Let's just sit him back here,' '' Ryan said. But if all goes according to plan, he said he'll "never worry about benching him ever again.

"My dad [Buddy Ryan] did that historically with a guy named Mike Singletary and it worked out pretty well,'' Ryan said, referring to the Hall of Fame Bears linebacker. "I'm hoping it works out half as good as that one did.''

Drew Brees wasn't too familiar with Milliner before this week, but the Saints quarterback called him young, athletic and talented. Milliner, however, knows Brees will target him repeatedly.

"I'm the new kid out there,'' he said, "so he's going to look to attack me.''

Ryan seemed encouraged that Milliner's mistakes have been more physical than mental, adding that those issues will be worked out in time.

"Now he just needs to have some success tied along with it,'' the coach said. "And I think that's what's missing -- get an interception or two and I think he's going to be good.

" . . . I just have a funny feeling he's coming out the other end. I think he'll do a nice job. I don't think there's any doubt.''

> http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...iner-1.6350440

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    -- Rex Ryan insists this will not be a lost season for Dee Milliner. Even after benching him twice already this season, the New York Jets coach still believes the first-round draft pick will end up rebounding in a major way.

"He's close to being that player that we want," Ryan said Wednesday. "I will say this: By the time the season's over, I think he will be the best rookie corner and playing better than any rookie corner in this year's draft. I don't think there's any doubt. We anticipate that.

"He was the No. 1 cornerback selected, but that's how we feel about him. I think he's close. I really do."

Milliner has started four games, but has also dealt with a hamstring injury that sidelined him three games. He was benched in the second half against New England in Week 2, and again in the second quarter last Sunday against Cincinnati. Ryan says Milliner will be back in the starting secondary against New Orleans on Sunday.

"I think with Dee, when I went back and I watched that tape," Ryan said, "he's a lot closer than I think (he's) given credit for."

Also at play is the fact that Milliner took Darrelle Revis' spot in the secondary, starting opposite Antonio Cromartie. Revis was considered one of the premier players at his position, and Cromartie has assumed his role as the No. 1 cornerback.

"Oh, man, you feel bad," Milliner said of having to stand on the sideline and watch during games. "But, you know, it's for the better. I was out there making physical mistakes and they put other people out there, they put (Darrin) Walls in and he did a good job of finishing the game."

Against Cincinnati, Milliner gave up four receptions for 108 yards in just under a half. The previous week against the Patriots, he allowed six catches for 52 yards.

Harrison: Week 9 Power Rankings
    Elliot Harrison can't deny the rise of Andy Dalton, but did it translate into a bump for the Bengals in his latest Power Rankings? READ
    "I just see him getting better, I do," Ryan said. "And I know how bad he wants it. All facets, schematically, he's not making the mental errors, so I think that's a big thing. And just his technique, I see his technique coming. Now he just needs to have some success tied along with it, and I think that's what's missing, get an interception or two and I think he's going to be good."

Ryan also joked that this Sunday would be a good time for Milliner to have that kind of game. The Jets are taking on the high-powered Saints offense, with Drew Brees likely licking his chops at going after a rookie cornerback.

In fact, Milliner says, he expects to get picked on.

"I've put on film that plays get over me here and there," he said. "He watches film. He's one of the great quarterbacks in today's game. He's going to be out there and, of course, I'm the new kid out there. So, he's going to look to attack me on things."

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...kie-cornerback

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dee Milliner had a lot of expectations thrown upon him as a first round selection, top ten no less. With the guy that shall remain nameless in Tampa Bay, Milliner was expected to step up and be the guy, on the opposite of Cromartie, right away and for the next ten years.

Well injuries have put that process behind just a bit, as Milliner has been coming up short of expectations over the last few games. He has been benched before, and was benched again last Sunday against the Bengals. However, he will continue to start. Rex Ryan is encouraged by the fact that, at least in his opinion, the mistakes are physical, not mental:

Yeah, mentally I think he’s right there. There are things in this league. The ball is going to be where it needs to be in the NFL, where it should be. If you have leverage inside, that ball is going to be outside. It’s not college. It’s not going to be on him, it’s going to be in front of him, and that’s wherever it goes. Sometimes, it just takes a little time to understand that. Where he had some issues, where a lot of guys and not just him, but where you look back in the backfield, you have a man, the guy’s off a break, and you look back in the backfield, it allows separation, and those are some things that I know he’s working extremely hard on.

Milliner, as he should, has the confidence that he will get better:

Yes, of course. In the game I had a couple of plays where I had bad eyes. In (this) league if you have bad eyes, that leads to a big (play). (I’ve) just got to be more mentally into it and more physically into it and just go out there and make plays.

It is logical that the physical end is more the issue. Dee has been around studying the entire time, his being injured doesn’t take away from his mental side, it takes away from the rep side. Dee just needs to be out there and grow. I, like our good buddy Sean Durham, am not ready to call Dee a bust. He will improve.

> http://thejetpress.com/2013/10/31/co...ysical-mental/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    —The player who did the most to help the Cincinnati Bengals embarrass the Jets, 49-9, on Sunday may not have been a Bengal at all, but Jets rookie cornerback Dee Milliner, who surrendered four catches for 108 yards and a touchdown in the game.

In doing so, Milliner made Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton look like, well, Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints, who will visit MetLife Stadium this coming Sunday.

"Of course, I'm the new kid out there, so he's going to look to attack me," Milliner said of Brees on Wednesday.
    Enlarge Image

Jets cornerback Dee Milliner had a tough game Sunday in Cincinnati. Getty Images

Brees and the New Orleans offense, which rank third in the league with 311 passing yards a game, will get their chances because Jets head coach Rex Ryan said Milliner would start Sunday, even though he played so poorly in Cincinnati that Ryan benched him in the second quarter.

Still, playing Milliner might not be the worst idea. His mistakes are correctable, Ryan said, because they aren't mental errors, but rather problems with technique.

As Milliner put it, his issues have to do with "bad eyes."

The Jets drafted Milliner out of Alabama with their first pick in April, but the rookie missed some off-season workouts and preseason games following right-shoulder surgery, an Achilles injury and a contract dispute. Then he missed three regular-season games with tightness in his left hamstring.

Milliner returned and played relatively well in the Jets' 30-27 win over the Patriots two weeks ago. But in Cincinnati on Sunday, he surrendered four huge plays—and nearly five, had the Bengals' Mohamed Sanu held on to what would have been a 45-yard catch—in less than two quarters.

"I had a couple of plays where I had bad eyes," Milliner said. "In this league, if you have bad eyes, that leads to a big play."

Here's an example of what Milliner meant by "bad eyes": Five minutes into the game, during the Bengals' opening drive, the rookie lined up against receiver Marvin Jones on the left side of the field. Jones sprinted toward the left end-zone pylon. Dalton threw the ball behind Jones's right shoulder.

Milliner had matched Jones stride for stride and had his eyes on the receiver, with the back of his head to Dalton. But when he looked for the ball, he swiveled his body 270 degrees to the right. By the time he had completed the twirl, he was off balance and the ball was in Jones's hands. Had Milliner just flicked his head 90 degrees to the left, he could have quickly spotted the ball and swatted it away.

"He's close to being that player we want," Ryan said. "By the time the season's over, I think he will be the best rookie corner and playing better than any rookie corner in this year's draft."

Milliner was less at fault in surrendering the other big plays. On a 30-yard pass to Jones later in the quarter, linebacker David Harris, who was also covering Jones, didn't turn in time to see the ball whiz by his head. And it would have difficult for any cornerback to defend Dalton's perfect 24-yard pass that floated into Sanu's hands down the left sideline in the second quarter.

The good news for Milliner is that the Saints' best receiver isn't a wideout, but rather a tight end—6-foot-7-inch Jimmy Graham. Jets safety Antonio Allen expects to cover him. He was reasonably successful against another tall tight end, the Patriots' Rob Gronkowski, earlier this month. Allen said his strategy will be to bump Graham at the line of scrimmage and disrupt the offense's timing on passes.

"Just be a tick to him, annoy him," Allen said.

Ryan said that pass defense has been a point of focus this week. "I wouldn't be surprised if Drew Brees and company aren't on the flight here early to make sure they got here," Ryan said. "We have to play a heck of a lot better and we will."

> http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...68241769214778

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets coach Rex Ryan did not back away from rookie cornerback Dee Milliner despite his struggles last week. Milliner will start Sunday and be asked to slow down one of the Saints’ many weapons.
    Ryan said Milliner bounced back in practice this week after he was benched against the Bengals.
    “I think what he does on the practice field will be where he gets his confidence back,” Ryan said. “This week was probably his best week of practice. I’m excited to watch him play on Sunday.”
    Milliner gave up four passes for 108 yards and a touchdown before Ryan pulled him from the game in the second quarter last week. It has been a rough first half of the season for the No. 9 overall pick, who has battled injuries and ineffectiveness all year.
    Fellow cornerback Antonio Cromartie backed up Ryan’s prediction that Milliner will be the best rookie cornerback in the NFL by the end of the season. Cromartie said the difference this week in Milliner was noticeable.
    “His whole demeanor this week has been different,” Cromartie said. “He’s been playing a lot more aggressive in practice. He’s attacking the ball, doing the little things that we’ve been asking for since he’s been here. I think he’s getting a lot more comfortable in the defense. He’s starting to understand what he has to do and what is expected from him. I see him having a better week this week.”
    The Jets better hope so.
    OLB Calvin Pace said the Bengals were effective at stopping their pass rush last week because quarterback Andy Dalton gave them no time to hit him.
    “He was getting the ball out so quick,” Pace said. “I think that was their whole game plan, don’t have him sit back there in five-step drops. A lot of time as soon as we got into our rush he was throwing it.”
    Pace said he believes former Jets quarterback Greg McElroy, now on the Bengals practice squad, had something to do with how successful Cincinnati was in the 49-9 rout. McElroy spent two seasons with the Jets, running the scout team last year.
    “It probably helped them that they had McElroy to prepare for us,” Pace said. “It doesn’t hurt. He’s been here. He knows the defense. I’m not saying that’s the reason we lost, but it is what it is. Greg is brilliant when it comes to football.”

> http://nypost.com/2013/11/02/rex-rya...l-bounce-back/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~ ~ 4. Milliner responds :

That Rex Ryan, he sure knows how to push his players' buttons. His latest project: rookie cornerback Dee Milliner. One week after his in-game benching in Cincinnati, Milliner responded with a solid game against Drew Brees & Co. Perhaps buoyed by Ryan's mid-week gush fest -- he predicted that Milliner would be the top rookie corner by season's end -- the former Alabama standout managed to get through the game without being sent to timeout. Unofficially, he allowed five completions for 49 yards -- not bad, considering the opponent. "The kid played his butt off," Ryan said. If Milliner becomes a consistent player, it would be a huge boost to the defense.

rest of above article :
    > http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ew-jets-week-9

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Link : Milliner gaining confidence in play at NFL level

Mark Cannizzaro of the New York Post has a fascinating look at the Jets two first round draft picks and roadie roommates Dee Milliner and Sheldon Richardson and how the two have had contrasting seasons.

The ironic twist is Richardson, who was selected 13th overall with the Jets’ second pick in the first round, figured to be the afterthought compared to Milliner, who was chosen ninth overall and slotted to be the immediate replacement for the traded Darrelle Revis.

Richardson was supposed to be a project player who would slowly be groomed into a starter on a defensive line that was already fairly stout before his arrival, and Milliner was supposed to be the polished, ready-made starter coming from college football’s top program, Alabama.

[...]

“He didn’t play much in preseason, which for me is when I got my feet wet,’’ Richardson said. “That was my introduction as far as the speed and physical strength of the game in the NFL. He missed out on that a little bit, so he started behind the eight ball. I told him, ‘Don’t be surprised if you start hearing the bust word.’ You can either be a bust or a good draft pick. They like to label you like that and label you quickly.”

Brian Bassett, TheJetsBlog.com

Milliner might have been picked first, but Corey and I interviewed Eric Galko from Optimum Scouting for the podcast the day after the first round of the NFL Draft and he would argue about who was the better player out of the gate. Galko called Richardson the best defensive playmaker in the draft and thought that the Jets getting him at 13 was a steal, which seems true halfway through the season.
    Even so, Richardson has the exact right perspective for his roomie. Any good player takes time to adjust to the NFL and cornerback is one of the hardest positions for rookies. Revis Island wasn’t built in a day.

Milliner needs some more time to adjust to the NFL game and a full offseason program. Milliner has the physical skills, is getting healthy and is gaining confidence. According to Pro Football Focus, the rookie corner had his best game of the season against the Saints. Still, there is plenty of room for improvement from the ninth-overall pick. Put in the right situations down the stretch, he can be a consistent and productive players and can build a foundation for next year. It is way too early to start applying labels to the Jets rookie.

> http://thejetsblog.com/links/link-mi...-at-nfl-level/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dee Milliner is well aware of the significance his struggles are having on the Jets, especially in light of the fact that he was drafted shortly after the Jets traded All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis. He just doesn't buy the comparisons.

"I know he's a great player, because I looked up to him when I was in college," said Milliner, the ninth overall pick in this year's draft. "But he's his own man, and I'm my own man. So I don't think about replacing something like that. None of my teammates say anything about it. They just say, 'Do what you did that got you here. Just try and play good and go from there.' "

Milliner's struggles have been well documented. He has already been benched three times during games, and is still waiting for his first NFL interception. But for those who want to pronounce Milliner a bust after just 12 games -- sorry, we're not going there -- remember this: Most cornerbacks, even the high-drafted ones, need time to become acclimated at the NFL level.

Milliner knows. He has checked to see how the top cornerbacks in today's game fared as rookies. Very few were dominant early on. One notable exception: Revis, who excelled from Day 1 with the Jets."It's going to a new team, you're going to face adversity, you're going to go through things," Milliner said. "You're going to see things you've never seen before. You've just got to continue to work, try to learn something from week to week. Plus you're going against [receivers] who have years under their belt, so they're going to know more than you know. The idea is to know some tendencies and be alert."

Milliner feels close to turning the corner. He knows an interception would help.

"You want to get picks," he said. "It's sort of like baseball when you come out of a slump. If you get one of those, it's a confidence builder."

> http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...fair-1.6559648

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    An interception?
    How about making a tackle?!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    An interception?
    How about making a tackle?!
    ya think he might can ask santa with some help with that ? ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There’s the Dee Milliner we’ve all been waiting for.

While many people assumed that it would be CB Antonio Cromartie lining up across from Browns WR Josh Gordon, head coach Rex Ryan instead chose to go with his rookie cornerback, and the decision paid off handsomely.

“Early in the week Coach told me I was going to be on Gordon,” Milliner said, “so I knew there was going to be an opportunity, there were going to be a lot of plays thrown at me, so I was just ready for it.”

“A lot” equated to 16 Josh Gordon targets, though the NFL’s leader in receiving yards caught just six of those balls for 97 yards and failed to score a touchdown for the first time in five games.

“He’s pretty good,” Gordon said of Milliner. “He’s a great young player and should be good for a long time in this league. The more experience he gets, the better he'll be and— offenses won't attack him as much.”

But today, the Browns did attack him — early and often. And Milliner delivered with a team-high nine tackles and his first career interception.

The INT came on a throw by QB Jason Campbell intended for WR Greg Little during Cleveland’s first drive of the third quarter with the Browns nearing red zone territory in a 10-10 game.

“It felt great to finally get my hands on the ball and keep it this time,” Milliner said, alluding to a couple of times throughout this season when potential picks went through his hands.

The Browns went 3-and-out on their only other possession that quarter thanks in part to one of Milliner’s five PDs on the day on a third-and-19 pass thrown Gordon’s way.

Prior to this afternoon’s performance, only two New York Jets have ever had as many as five PDs in one game, according to Stats Inc. CB Darrelle Revis did it twice in his six years with the Green & White, after CB Marcus Coleman set the bar with six PDs during our Monday Night Miracle win over Miami in 2000.

Milliner credited his “best game all season” to his film studies and scout team looks throughout the week.

“We knew he was going to run a lot of digs and verticals, depending on where he was lining up,” he said of Gordon. “If he was inside the slot, they were going to try to give it to him and isolate him. We knew those things. Coach called coverages to prevent the big plays that he usually gets.”

“The thing about Dee,” Cromartie said, “he’s starting to understand route concepts and starting to understand what teams are trying to do. When you start understanding things like that, you start to play faster, the game starts to slow down a lot more, and I think that’s exactly what happened for him today.”

Whether it’s the speed of the game, the studying of film or the scout-team preparation, “I’m finally doing what my coaches have been harping on me every day,” Milliner said.

Better late than never.

“This guy right here is going to be an outstanding player, there's no question,” Rex Ryan said. “We know we have another game in front of us, and it’s going to be a huge challenge for him going against Miami. They pretty much slaughtered us the last time out, so we’ll see how we do. But that young man is going to be a player, there’s no doubt.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...9-89ed83963257

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dee Milliner continued his strong New Year's week and final month of the season with yet another award as the rookie cornerback was named the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Month for December.

Milliner, the top pick of our 2013 draft at No. 9 overall, was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his outstanding performance in the 20-7 win at Miami in the season finale on Sunday.

After his up-and-down first three months of the season, the young man from Alabama put it together with his fine stretch run. The Cleveland Browns went at him as he mostly covered NFL receiving-yardage leader Josh Gordon and came up with six pass breakups and his first pro interception.

Then vs. the Dolphins, Milliner's primary assignment was the dangerous Mike Wallace. Chalk up five more PDs and his first two-INT game, giving him three picks for the season to tie him with Antonio Cromartie for the team leadership.

"It feels great, finally catching on to things, doing what I'm supposed to," Milliner said after that game, no pun intended. He added that he had a motto he followed this season, to great concluding effect: "Just be out there, be confident in what you can do, and just go out there and play."

Milliner unofficially is the first NFL player with back-to-back games of five or more pass defenses since 1994, when Stats Inc. first began tracking PDs.

Only five other players have two or more 5-PD games in a season: Pittsburgh's Dewayne Washington in 1998, Green Bay's Mike McKenzie in 2004 (three, including a playoff game against Philadelphia), Philadelphia's Lito Sheppard in 2006, and Brent Grimes, the current Dolphin who had two 5-PD games in a three-game span for Atlanta in 2010.

"I think Dee's game really picked up when Ed Reed came in," head coach Rex Ryan said of the veteran safety, who perhaps not coincidentally split the final six takeaways of the season with Milliner, three interceptions apiece, in the final four games. "Obviously [DBs coach] Tim McDonald has done a tremendous job with him, also [coordinator] Dennis Thurman, so he's in pretty good hands. I saw it on the practice field. That's when you notice the kind of player he's become."

Milliner also makes it a big one-two closing kick for our draft class as he accepts his honor following first-round DT Sheldon Richardson's being named the league's Defensive Rookie of the Month for November.

Our first Rookie of the Month was S Erik Coleman for his September 2004 NFL Debut. Two months later, LB Jonathan Vilma won the November award. LB David Harris took home the honor for November 2007 and QB Mark Sanchez for September 2009

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...0-8ab8b831db61

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kenny Stills, Dee Milliner among players set for second-year step
    By Gil Brandt - NFL Media senior analyst

Some players become superstars the moment they first set foot on an NFL field. Others need a bit more time.

We know all about the guys who shined as rookies last season, players like San Diego Chargers receiver Keenan Allen and Green Bay Packers running back -- and Offensive Rookie of the Year -- Eddie Lacy. But what about the youngsters who, though they showed promise in Year 1, have yet to truly make their mark? Who among that group is primed to prove their first-rate bonafides in their second NFL season ?

I've put together a list of 10 candidates to have breakout seasons as second-year pros in 2014. Some of these players were backups in 2013; some were starters who still have the potential to make big strides; some barely played. All appear ready to emerge to some degree this season.

Note: For the sake of simplicity, this list is presented in alphabetical order. I've also provided statistical projections for everyone but Jonathan Cooper, as guard play isn't measured on the stat sheet.

~ ~ Dee Milliner, CB, New York Jets

Milliner didn't initially live up to the hype that came with being the No. 9 overall pick in last year's draft -- missing a handful of games in the first half as he dealt with injury issues -- but he really showed something toward the end of the season, specifically in Weeks 16 and 17. In those two games, Milliner broke up 10 passes -- that's practically unheard of, the equivalent of having four interceptions in one game -- and snagged three picks. Milliner has the size, speed and long arms needed for the position. He's also a very good tackler and blitzer. Being viewed by many as the replacement for Darrelle Revis didn't make Milliner's rookie year any easier. While I don't know if you can ever truly replace Revis, Milliner has turned it around, and I think he has a better-than-average chance of making the Pro Bowl within the next two years.

Projection for 2014: 25 pass breakups, five interceptions.

rest of above article :
    > http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...econdyear-step

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets expect Dee Milliner to pick up where he left off and they aren’t alone in that assessment. NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt believes the corner is poised for a breakout season.

Dee Milliner, CB, New York Jets
    Milliner didn't initially live up to the hype that came with being the No. 9 overall pick in last year's draft — missing a handful of games in the first half as he dealt with injury issues — but he really showed something toward the end of the season, specifically in Weeks 16 and 17. In those two games, Milliner broke up 10 passes -- that's practically unheard of, the equivalent of having four interceptions in one game — and snagged three picks. Milliner has the size, speed and long arms needed for the position. He's also a very good tackler and blitzer. Being viewed by many as the replacement for Darrelle Revis didn't make Milliner's rookie year any easier. While I don't know if you can ever truly replace Revis, Milliner has turned it around, and I think he has a better-than-average chance of making the Pro Bowl within the next two years.
    Projection for 2014: 25 pass breakups, five interceptions.

EA Takeaway: After a baptism by fire early, the Jets challenged Milliner late with the roles of covering a pair or leading men in Josh Gordon and Mike Wallace. And he responded with excellent production as our editor-in-chief Randy Lange pointed out that Milliner unofficially became the first NFL player with back-to-back games of five or more PDs since 1994.
    “He hit his stride late in the season,” Rex Ryan told me after Milliner was named the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Month for December. “I think he’ll benefit greatly from an outstanding offseason with our strength coaches and get some bumpers on him if you will. His future is extremely bright.”

Milliner, an Alabama product who finished 2013 with a team-leading 19 PD in addition to the three INTs and 60 tackles, is now the Jets No. 1 corner. He will be counted on more in Year 2 and the Green & White are confident that he is ready to excel against some of the league’s top wideouts.
    “There were times when he wasn’t performing the way we wanted him to perform, but he never gave up,” said defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman of Milliner on a JTL appearance. “He kept working hard at it, we kept working with him and then the way that he performed at the end of the year — we expect that he’ll pick up from that point and continue moving forward.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...4-22af671c0ac6

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Milliner will be fine if he can keep from getting injured. Seems like he has a long history of minor problematic injuries.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He doesn't need to be an island, or as good as Revis was/Sherman is/Revis is, whatever.

Milliner is his own player and he came on strong at the end of last season when he was fully healthy and had months of practice time and playing in a new, faster league. He is going to be a very good, solid CB. A great one? I doubt that, but I loved the selection of him 9th overall last season and believe - as long as $ isn't an issue - he can be a starting CB for us over the next 7-10 years. He's a good player. You do not need great CB's to win championships. Do not let the Seahawks fool you. Yes, Sherman is good on his side of the field - doesn't even follow the No.1 WR - but what about Browner, their second best CB? They lost him and didn't lose a beat. Why? Pass rush. Pass rush wins championships. You can't have two Justin Miller's back there, but Miller is more than adequate. He will be a Top 20 CB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    He doesn't need to be an island, or as good as Revis was/Sherman is/Revis is, whatever.

Milliner is his own player and he came on strong at the end of last season when he was fully healthy and had months of practice time and playing in a new, faster league. He is going to be a very good, solid CB. A great one? I doubt that, but I loved the selection of him 9th overall last season and believe - as long as $ isn't an issue - he can be a starting CB for us over the next 7-10 years. He's a good player. You do not need great CB's to win championships. Do not let the Seahawks fool you. Yes, Sherman is good on his side of the field - doesn't even follow the No.1 WR - but what about Browner, their second best CB? They lost him and didn't lose a beat. Why? Pass rush. Pass rush wins championships. You can't have two Justin Miller's back there, but Miller is more than adequate. He will be a Top 20 CB.
    agreed ! !...i think he has the talent to be in the top 10 within the next two seasons

cheers ~ ~

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post

He's more like a flood. Aside from the interceptions the last few games, he was a flood of receptions, YAC, and touchdowns.