Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dee Milliner doom & gloom - NY Post.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Dee Milliner doom & gloom - NY Post.

If Jets can’t depend on Dee Milliner in Year 2, watch out
    By Brian Costello
    June 30, 2014 | 9:53am

Dee Milliner covers the Dolphins' Brian Hartline last December, when the Jets rookie cornerback started to show his first-round promise. Photo: Paul J. Bereswill

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 17: Dee Milliner

Last year’s ranking: Unranked (Rookie)
    Position: Cornerback
    How acquired: Selected in the first round of the 2013 Draft
    Years left on contract: 3
    2014 salary cap figure: $2.9 million

Looking back at 2013: The Jets took Milliner with the No. 9 overall pick a year ago, hoping he could ease the blow of trading Darrelle Revis. Milliner was coming off shoulder surgery and missed the entire spring program. He then missed the first few days of training camp while holding out for a contract. He missed more time in camp after injuring his Achilles.

All of the missed time really hurt Milliner, who was clearly behind schedule as a rookie. The coaching staff threw him out there with the starters regardless and had to live with the growing pains Milliner endured. He was benched three times during the season as he showed poor instincts and a lack of fundamentals that was troubling in such a high draft pick.

Milliner appeared to turn a corner at the end of the season. He recorded all three of his interceptions in the final two games. He was matched up against top receivers in those games – Josh Gordon of the Browns and Mike Wallace of the Dolphins – but not top quarterbacks (Jason Campbell and Ryan Tannehill). He was named AFC Defensive Rookie of the Month for December.

Outlook for 2014: The front office showed a lot of faith in Milliner this offseason when they released Antonio Cromartie and then declined to replace him with an established star. That leaves Milliner as the team’s top cornerback, a scary thought for Jets fans who watched him struggle last year.

Photo: AP

The coaches hope Milliner will build off a strong finish to last season. They also believe he will benefit from being a full participant in the offseason program this year. But Milliner did miss a few weeks of OTAs with hamstring tightness. Besides Geno Smith, there may not be another more crucial player for the Jets this year than Milliner. If he fails to make a jump, the Jets are in big trouble. They play several elite quarterbacks who will pick them apart. If Milliner starts playing to the potential the Jets feel he has, they could have a top defense again.

Milliner seemed to struggle with his confidence last year. That is why Rex Ryan has pumped him up this offseason. It will be interesting to see if Milliner loses his confidence again if he has a bad game or two early in the year. The Jets better hope not.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/30/if-jets...r-2-watch-out/
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 06-30-2014 at 12:27 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where's the doom and gloom?

There is an equal amount of reason to be both hopeful and cautious when it comes to Milliner. I was in the hopeful category after the final four games last year, but showing up to OTAs not ready to play? Automatic caution. This is a guy whose rookie year was a colossal bust until the Week 13, and his reaction to coming out of that haze was to come to camp not ready to play?

I wouldn't be surprised if Dee came out ready to assert himself as a #1 corner. But I also wouldn't be surprised if we end up looking at the last four games of '13 as ones where Milliner looked good due to poor QB play from the opposition. He still has a lot to prove in my eyes, so I don't think this article was wrongly slanted.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The front office showed a lot of faith in Milliner this offseason when they released Antonio Cromartie and then declined to replace him with an established star.
    Show of faith?

Jimminy, they can really spin anything into a plus.

In actuality, Milliner will more than likely be the #1 due to the inability of the FO to land a quality, veteran corner.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Show of faith?

Jimminy, they can really spin anything into a plus.

In actuality, Milliner will more than likely be the #1 due to the inability of the FO to land a quality, veteran corner.
    In actuality you draft a CB ninth overall to be a #1 CB

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Is that picture from your signature a real quote from ESPN? Like that wasn't photoshopped, right?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a fan of Costello. Actually think he's worse than Cimini (Nobody's worse than Mehta). But, he is spot on here. I was disappointed that Millner was not one of the standouts of the OTA's and that Rex felt the need to call him out for not working hard enough. We need him to step into the top corner role and build on the promise he showed at the end of the year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichCiminiFan View Post
    Is that picture from your signature a real quote from ESPN? Like that wasn't photoshopped, right?
    Yes it's real. That was quite a summer

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really hope Milliner is healthy all year, TC included as every single rep is important for him at this point. He is a superb athlete, is tough, and has great size for the position, so it really comes down to technique as far as him being average or elite.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great piece on Milliner from today

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/06/big...liner-edition/

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed the article.

I do have a question and hope someone that knows can answer it. I often hear/read that CB's are playing too far off the line or playing too close etc and they make it sound like it's their decision to do so...but I can't imagine that it is their decision. Wouldn't that be part of the play? I mean if Dee Milner is playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage pre-snap - it can't believe it's because he's chosen to do so, but rather it's the play call.

Do CB's have that free reign or does the play dictate where they start pre-snap?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Great article!
    One thing that jumped out at me and you pointed it out early on: Dee seems to get in trouble when he's asked to backpedal (as opposed to shuffling and running with the WR). Personally never been a fan of the backpedal technique.
    It looks like when Dee backpedaled, he would get flat (stop moving...not going backwards or forwards) for a split second trying to read the WR and would then lose the WR. That's normal for a player who is not use to the technique or not comfortable with it. It seems like when he's allowed to jam or shuffle and run with the WR that he did better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Besides Geno Smith, there may not be another more crucial player for the Jets this year than Milliner. If he fails to make a jump, the Jets are in big trouble. They play several elite quarterbacks who will pick them apart. If Milliner starts playing to the potential the Jets feel he has, they could have a top defense again.
    Milliner is the second most crucial player on the Jets behind Geno Smith? A cornerback? I think not.

I may be in the minority, but I think a secondary consisting of Milliner, Patterson, Wilson, Pryor, and Allen is solid. If the Jets are going to dominate on defense, it will be in the trenches, and that will make the overall job of the secondary much easier.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, but drafting him "to be" and him actually becoming a #1 cb are two different things.
    Im not knocking his progress in the final four games, but there were far and away more bad than good from Milliner last year.

The secondary is young at every position. Kyle Wilson appears to be our Veteran leadership in the secondary, and that makes me uneasy.

The team drafted Gholston to be a 3-4 olb QB killer, but he wasnt just inserted into that position via his draft ranking, and in the end never played much because his play was sub par. Milliners draft place shouldnt determine his roster depth.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    I agree, but drafting him "to be" and him actually becoming a #1 cb are two different things.
    Im not knocking his progress in the final four games, but there were far and away more bad than good from Milliner last year.

The secondary is young at every position. Kyle Wilson appears to be our Veteran leadership in the secondary, and that makes me uneasy.

The team drafted Gholston to be a 3-4 olb QB killer, but he wasnt just inserted into that position via his draft ranking, and in the end never played much because his play was sub par. Milliners draft place shouldnt determine his roster depth.
    True but outside of revis the free agent CB's were overpaid IMO. I would rather see what milliner can do as CB1 rather than tie up cap space with a guy like DRC considering the depth that's been added already

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    True but outside of revis the free agent CB's were overpaid IMO. I would rather see what milliner can do as CB1 rather than tie up cap space with a guy like DRC considering the depth that's been added already
    Honestly, im really pulling fir Milliner. I think he has the skills and athleticism to be great.

Just wish there was a veteran as a back up and head slapper. My opinion means little, but there were options to get a player like that at minimal cost(3-5 mil). It would have really solidified the secondary. Its even more important to have a veteran back there because there is veteran presence lacking at the safety positions as well.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTJetsFanII View Post
    Great article!
    One thing that jumped out at me and you pointed it out early on: Dee seems to get in trouble when he's asked to backpedal (as opposed to shuffling and running with the WR). Personally never been a fan of the backpedal technique.
    It looks like when Dee backpedaled, he would get flat (stop moving...not going backwards or forwards) for a split second trying to read the WR and would then lose the WR. That's normal for a player who is not use to the technique or not comfortable with it. It seems like when he's allowed to jam or shuffle and run with the WR that he did better.
    That's probably because Saban did not ask his CBs to backpedal at Alabama.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed the article.

I do have a question and hope someone that knows can answer it. I often hear/read that CB's are playing too far off the line or playing too close etc and they make it sound like it's their decision to do so...but I can't imagine that it is their decision. Wouldn't that be part of the play? I mean if Dee Milner is playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage pre-snap - it can't believe it's because he's chosen to do so, but rather it's the play call.

Do CB's have that free reign or does the play dictate where they start pre-snap?
    Cromartie played way off his receiver last year.
    He felt because of his hip, that was the onk y way to stop any big play on him downfield.So the Jets let him play that way.Good question

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Giants were determined to get DRC and were going to outspend us no matter what. That's probably part of the reason why he got a 5 year contract which is insane for a Corner. I'm not happy about Milliner being the #1 CB either however there weren't any great options in FA.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    There seems to be an undercurrent that DM did not show up for OTA's in great shape. His injury twinge may have been due to improper conditioning. He got some criticism from Rex and it was repeated on SNY. If that is the case, then we do have reason for concern. DM may have the ability to be a great corner, but does he have the will?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I don't see the "Doom and Gloom" in this article. Sounds like Milly had a rough start to the year due to injury but started to catch on towards the end of the year.

Which is exactly what happened.