Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whose stock went up/down?

Whose stock went up/down?

This is just observation from 1 game of who did well and who didn't IMO. Not looking for any permanent changes in the lineup based on one game or one quarter or anything big like that. I don't put that much value in preseason games but as with every game there are some positives and negatives to talk about:

+ Decker once again showing he can be counted on as a go to guy, too bad our passing game was non existent. Excellent hands, route running, looks so quick and fluid
    + Coples looked great rushing & being stout at the point of attack
    + David Harris looked like a stud (not sure that one catch on 3rd & long we gave up, that dumpoff to the receiver over the middle was his assignment?)
    + Dee always had tight coverage, dropped an easy pick
    + IK making a bigplay
    + Barnes (the NT) looks like a keeper
    + Douzable always dominates in the preseason
    + Allen looks solid

- Babin seemed invisible
    - D-Line didn't generate much/any pass rush
    - Patterson struggled and looked slow, slipped once I think then gave up that big catch
    - Edds struggled vs the run, didn't do much rushing the passer
    - Bellore looked awful vs the run, whiffing a couple times, making wrong reads
    - Colon missing blocks, looking slow, playing selfish (undisciplined). Didn't like his cocky attitude one bit and how he "treated" Winters and T-Bo that one time when his helmet went off and they tried to calm him down. Despite that announcer saying "IM LOVING IT! FIGHT EVERYBODY!"

Some changes I'd like to see for next weeks game:
    - Aboushi in, Colon out
    - Pryor in, Landry out
    - Get the receivers involved
    - Less man coverage/all out blitzes on 3rd and long with 1 on 1 coverage...

If Babin, Patterson, Bellore, Edds and some of the other guys don't step up next week I'd like to see Dex, IK & co. get more playing time with the #2's and #1's.

I probably missed a couple things since I didn't watch the entire game
    Last edited by DaBallhawk; 08-08-2014 at 02:38 AM.

I basically agree with everything you said, but I'd add Lankaster and Reeves to the stock up list. Also Furney even though he won't make our team. I'm so glad that they've been rotating Aboushi in for Colon and Winters. I thought Winters played well since he didn't give up any pressures and wasn't flagged. Colon was bad tonight. Hopefully, it's just rust, because I love his toughness. Also Barnes plus Ellis has to be one of the heaviest DT combos to ever play at the same time. If Barnes keeps his play up he will make Ellis expendable, and that's not a slight against Ellis. I think he's a very good player in his own right.

Yeah I missed the end so I wasn't able to see guys like Lankster play. Glad he did good. Winters I thought played pretty well too. If Aboushi takes over at RG and does his thing the way we expect him to perform then our line should be pretty good. Colon seems too big of a headache. He's getting older, he's out of shape, I would prefer to move on from him and save some money. I mean I realize he was injured but still. Toughness is great and everything but he was just being stupid, there's a fine line you can't cross. Winters is tough, scrappy. That's what you want. He's not selfish/stupid, risking penalties. Anyway, we still have Bulldozier back there as well to be the top backup in case Colon gets dumped/traded but we still have 3 more games in the preseason. Barnes, if he keeps it up, will definitely be somebody to look out for next year as a top backup behind Snacks. I don't see us re-signing Ellis, he'll be looking for a big payday.

Oh and I want to see a lot of Powell next week!

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Yeah I missed the end so I wasn't able to see guys like Lankster play. Glad he did good. Winters I thought played pretty well too. If Aboushi takes over at RG and does his thing the way we expect him to perform then our line should be pretty good. Colon seems too big of a headache. He's getting older, he's out of shape, I would prefer to move on from him and save some money. I mean I realize he was injured but still. Toughness is great and everything but he was just being stupid, there's a fine line you can't cross. Winters is tough, scrappy. That's what you want. He's not selfish/stupid, risking penalties. Anyway, we still have Bulldozier back there as well to be the top backup in case Colon gets dumped/traded but we still have 3 more games in the preseason. Barnes, if he keeps it up, will definitely be somebody to look out for next year as a top backup behind Snacks. I don't see us re-signing Ellis, he'll be looking for a big payday.

Oh and I want to see a lot of Powell next week!
    I feel like Winters is another Slauson. It took a year or two, but he will become another great OG. The fact that his name wasn't mentioned tonight was a huge plus. As much as I love Colon's toughness, that is all he brings to the table. He's injury prone, holds a lot, and is a hot head. He should have been flagged well before his helmet was thrown tonight.

Lankaster should split time as our nickel. Wilson is mediocre to below mediocre. Lankaster at least makes plays. His only downfall is his height. Also like I said again, Barnes is a beast! Dunbar needs to be a coach here forever. He brings the best out of all our Dlinemen

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I thought Alex Green locked goof running late. Nice speed and takes a hit. RB Is a deep spot this year.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Looked good

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Will obviously have to keep an eye on the cb position and another on Colon. Is he just coming back from his injury or is he going to be a detriment to the OL?

All Pro
    Google, Apple - still up

Enron, New Haven RR, Blockbuster - still down

Can we wait till after the Giants game to pass judgment

I won't be happy if Colon is still a starting guard with us this year. Idzik has brought in so many Guards, to think out of all these players we can't find one to supplant Colon will be disheartening.
    Injury prone, Penalty prone Steeler cast off 2 years removed from the team that dropped him won't find the fountain of youth.

Patterson played badly but keep in mind it was his 1st game & Rex was leaving him with zero help on blitzes where our guys DID NOT get to the QB.
    If there is one thing that Rex does that drives me insane it's all out blitzing on 3rd & long. I'd just like to see him mix it up a bit using the threat of blitz but go onto coverage.
    As much as I hate Belichick, the Pats are very good 3rd & long defense because they play the sticks & squeeze everything inside to force the QB to throw short & then tackle.
    Believe me I understand I'm nitpicking because I really do think Rex is a great defensive coach but I have seen him make decisions that seemed like he blitzes on emotion.

Hall Of Fame
    CB and Guard were my two biggest question marks entering the season and last night did nothing to ease that. I fear that we caught lightning in a bottle last year with Colon's health and this year we aren't going to get such luck. The OL in general has a lot of work to do.

In no particular order:

+ Geno. All things considered I thought he looked good.
    + Vick. He was Vick. He scrambled, made some things happen. Led a TD drive.
    + Run D. Was stout but we also tend to scheme to help out our run D so this should be expected.
    + Folk. Outside of Wilk nobody plays their position better on the team.
    + Milliner. Just looks different this year. His body language and everything. Played well.

- Breno. Got beat around the edge a couple of times. Ended up on the ground.
    - Patterson. Had a really rough night. That #2 spot is up for grabs which is not necessarily a good thing.
    - Wilson. My obligatory Kyle Wilson negative mention.
    - No pass rush. If we are going to get shaky CB play then our pass rush better step up.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I won't be happy if Colon is still a starting guard with us this year. Idzik has brought in so many Guards, to think out of all these players we can't find one to supplant Colon will be disheartening.
    Injury prone, Penalty prone Steeler cast off 2 years removed from the team that dropped him won't find the fountain of youth.

Patterson played badly but keep in mind it was his 1st game & Rex was leaving him with zero help on blitzes where our guys DID NOT get to the QB.
    If there is one thing that Rex does that drives me insane it's all out blitzing on 3rd & long. I'd just like to see him mix it up a bit using the threat of blitz but go onto coverage.
    As much as I hate Belichick, the Pats are very good 3rd & long defense because they play the sticks & squeeze everything inside to force the QB to throw short & then tackle.
    Believe me I understand I'm nitpicking because I really do think Rex is a great defensive coach but I have seen him make decisions that seemed like he blitzes on emotion.
    None of those OG's, all of which were 3rd day picks, have played an NFL down. And I don't think that Colon was re-signed to sit on the bench. I'm not going to be dis-heartened if Colon starts. The Steelers were not going to sign him again only to see him get hurt - they played that game too much for their tastes. He played well for them when healthy.

If a young guy beats him out, great.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    If Barnes keeps his play up he will make Ellis expendable, and that's not a slight against Ellis. I think he's a very good player in his own right.
    Any chance we look to trade Ellis ... I know the 49ers NT got hurt, they could be interested, and if we're going to lose him at the end of the year and already have a potential replacement on hand, it could make sense.

I wouldn't worry about the blitzes/cover zero with Rex. He has gone away from that in the regular season and last night did it so much that it looks to me like he was purposefully trying to put that on tape.

I thought CJ didn't look great - he just isn't a tough inside runner. We are really gonna have to use 2 RBs (which I'm fine with) when he is in the game so at least the threat of an inside run is there.

I don't know exactly what he was doing (didn't seem like he was abnormally fast off the ball) but coples seemed to be annihilating their LT. He is just so damn strong it seems like he gets the OT off balance simply with upper body strength. I think he is gonna be a beast.

It is going to be VERY hard to sneak barnes by to the PS and I'm not sure we can carry 3 NTs.

The TEs looked iffy at best.

Id like to get saunders more involved in the offense as the preseason moves forward.

Two offensive line questions - I did see the bad snap, but overall how did Freeman do as the center with the second group? I also saw ijalana get beat for a sack, but did he hold up ok other then that?

+Geno
    +Milliner
    +Decker

-Giacomini
    -Patterson
    -Wilson

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Greg Salas was a late scratch, as he did not play with a hip injury. Bilal Powell and Calvin Pryor also did not suit up. Chris Ivory left the game with a rib injury but Rex Ryan said he should be fine. David Nelson also left with a hand but should also be able to go next week.
    This is the first I have heard about Salas being injured.

I was happy that we didn't turn the ball over.

Other then that, this was a sloppy game on both sides of the ball and I came away from this very unimpressed.

Our defense did not dominate (Luck & Hasselback were moving up & down the field) and our offense seems to still have trouble scoring points.

Dimitri Patterson in particular has alot of tightening up to do if he is going to be a starter, he was very sloppy last night & was routinely getting picked on - I could see McDougle, who made some plays last night overtake him pretty early in the season.

Alot of stupid penalties - offense & defense - S Richardson & Pace both had one jumping off sides.

I realize it's only the 1st pre-season game - and it's a good thing, because, there is PLENTY of room for improvement.

All that being said, Milliner stood out, I thought he looked pretty solid as did Ellis Lankster.

David Harris was flying all over the field - he was the standout defensive player last night.

Decker looked sure-handed and pretty crisp with his routes.

Michael Vick - seemed he led the only drive where the offense was started to gel a little bit.

I liked Johnson's TD run, he seems to have good vision and it still appears that if he can just make one guy miss and get in space a little bit, he could go the distance.

Bohannon with a key 4th down conversion on the TD drive.

Other then the TD run by Johnson - Darryl Richardson showed some good burst & Alex Green had a couple of good runs last night as well.

Jalen Saunders showed some toughness last night.

Ford flashed a little bit.

Campbell ran a nice route last night late in the game.

TJ Barnes, IK Enemkpali, Tevita Finau in the second half made some plays.

Troy Davis with that monster special teams hit late in the game.

AJ Edds with the awareness to see & recover Enemkpali's strip sack.

Overall, Simms looked decent for a 3rd string QB.

He has to stop staring down his receivers so much, but he throws the ball with zip & decent accuracy.

I thought Freeman's errant snap last night took something away from what was a pretty good late game drive by Simms.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-08-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Always difficult to evaluate most players from tv view but clearly Vick looked like a pro and Geno like a neophyte. It seemed like calm weather when Vick was in he had a feel for pressure. Hopefully Smith will learn by watching Vick on the field.

Also Millner seemed to take a step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    This is just observation from 1 game of who did well and who didn't IMO. Not looking for any permanent changes in the lineup based on one game or one quarter or anything big like that. I don't put that much value in preseason games but as with every game there are some positives and negatives to talk about:

+ Decker once again showing he can be counted on as a go to guy, too bad our passing game was non existent. Excellent hands, route running, looks so quick and fluid
    + Coples looked great rushing & being stout at the point of attack
    + David Harris looked like a stud (not sure that one catch on 3rd & long we gave up, that dumpoff to the receiver over the middle was his assignment?)
    + Dee always had tight coverage, dropped an easy pick
    + IK making a bigplay
    + Barnes (the NT) looks like a keeper
    + Douzable always dominates in the preseason
    + Allen looks solid

- Babin seemed invisible
    - D-Line didn't generate much/any pass rush
    - Patterson struggled and looked slow, slipped once I think then gave up that big catch
    - Edds struggled vs the run, didn't do much rushing the passer
    - Bellore looked awful vs the run, whiffing a couple times, making wrong reads
    - Colon missing blocks, looking slow, playing selfish (undisciplined). Didn't like his cocky attitude one bit and how he "treated" Winters and T-Bo that one time when his helmet went off and they tried to calm him down. Despite that announcer saying "IM LOVING IT! FIGHT EVERYBODY!"

Some changes I'd like to see for next weeks game:
    - Aboushi in, Colon out
    - Pryor in, Landry out
    - Get the receivers involved
    - Less man coverage/all out blitzes on 3rd and long with 1 on 1 coverage...

If Babin, Patterson, Bellore, Edds and some of the other guys don't step up next week I'd like to see Dex, IK & co. get more playing time with the #2's and #1's.

I probably missed a couple things since I didn't watch the entire game
    Disagree on Edds, and he's an inside LB he's not going to be rushing the passer , to me Edds stood out, as did Davis and Ike at OLB, not sure Reily did.

I think Edds has shot to make team over Bellore

Rookie
    It also looks like Boyd is toast, not even getting once series. Simms looking pretty good out there. I know some posters say Simms was staring down receives and that he was only in vs the 3rd string defense but still he was able to march the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    It also looks like Boyd is toast, not even getting once series. Simms looking pretty good out there. I know some posters say Simms was staring down receives and that he was only in vs the 3rd string defense but still he was able to march the team.
    I think you take absolutely nothing from the fact Boyd didn't get in. I'd guess he'll get 4th quarter action next week, Simms May not get off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    CB and Guard were my two biggest question marks entering the season and last night did nothing to ease that. I fear that we caught lightning in a bottle last year with Colon's health and this year we aren't going to get such luck. The OL in general has a lot of work to do.

In no particular order:

+ Geno. All things considered I thought he looked good.
    + Vick. He was Vick. He scrambled, made some things happen. Led a TD drive.
    + Run D. Was stout but we also tend to scheme to help out our run D so this should be expected.
    + Folk. Outside of Wilk nobody plays their position better on the team.
    + Milliner. Just looks different this year. His body language and everything. Played well.

- Breno. Got beat around the edge a couple of times. Ended up on the ground.
    - Patterson. Had a really rough night. That #2 spot is up for grabs which is not necessarily a good thing.
    - Wilson. My obligatory Kyle Wilson negative mention.
    - No pass rush. If we are going to get shaky CB play then our pass rush better step up.
    Complaining about the pass rush in the pre season , especially the first game is silly. No game planning, and vanilla schemes and game calling.