Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Post speculation - David Nelson the favorite to be Jets #2 WR......

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

Post NY Post speculation - David Nelson the favorite to be Jets #2 WR......

The New York Post considers David Nelson the "favorite" for the Jets' No. 2 receiver job.

Beat writer Brian Costello gives Nelson the edge over Stephen Hill and others, "judging from OTA and minicamp snaps." Nelson has a sure pair of mitts as a possession receiver. He isn't going to stretch the field, but offers a big target at 6'5/215. Whoever ends up as the No. 2 to Eric Decker is unlikely to be a fantasy asset.

Source: New York Post
    Jun 24 - 8:55 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be okay with this. Imagine an offense of Decker, Nelson, Amaro, Bohanon, and Johnson. Good luck stopping the run with those huge guys on the outside, and don't forget that all these guys can catch and run very well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd_Times_A_Charm View Post
    I would be okay with this. Imagine an offense of Decker, Nelson, Amaro, Bohanon, and Johnson. Good luck stopping the run with those huge guys on the outside, and don't forget that all these guys can catch and run very well.
    Not sure if you skipped Kerley on purpose, but if we have ANYONE worthy of the defenses' focus, he'll take advantage of all the holes that are created . . .

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course Nelson is the favorite

Evans and Saunders are rookies, Kerley is the primary slot option, and I'm not buying into Hill until I see him start to prove it on the field in live games.

Nelson isn't a longterm solution but he's got a reliable set of hands and attacks the football.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know but it is not saying much if the comment is "gives Nelson the edge over Stephen Hill". if this is what we are talking about at #2 then I am scared. last I saw Hill could not catch the ball if he was covered in carpet and the ball was Velcro.

I agree with Untouchable, I have to see some improvement out of Hill and I hope to God Nelson can catch the ball when it drops in over his shoulder and lands on his chest.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade for Andre Johnson!

Kidding.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everything that has come from Jets coaches indicate Stephen Hill has a big leg up in the battle for #2

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    He played better than the rest towards the end. I'm all for making him one of the six. for me deckr, kerley,nelson, saunders, evans, ?. Let the rest fight for #6.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Everything that has come from Jets coaches indicate Stephen Hill has a big leg up in the battle for #2
    Who cares what Hill does without pads and without contact in OTA's?

He's been impressive in practice in the past.

Damn near everyday in training camp last year we heard about him reeling in bombs from Geno and Sanchez while making the entire secondary look silly.

Until he does it consistently on the field in an actual game, I'm not buying into it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Nelson is our #2 then it tells me we missed in the draft and obviously that Hill has not made the tremendous strides that DaBallhawk is telling everyone that he has made.

I like Nelson well enough but... meh basically.

Cue BallHawk in 3... 2... 1....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    If Nelson is our #2 then it tells me we missed in the draft
    Why?

Even most 1st round picks at WR don't play a significant role straight out of the gate.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    If Nelson is our #2 then it tells me we missed in the draft and obviously that Hill has not made the tremendous strides that DaBallhawk is telling everyone that he has made.

I like Nelson well enough but... meh basically.
    +1

Nelson is (or was, up till now) a total JAG, a prime candidate for why the 2014 Jets were labeled as having "absolutely no talent around Geno Smith".

If he is our #2 WR, after an offseason of acquiring WR's, that's very disappointing IMO. He should be a fringe might-not-make-the-team guy, not your #2.

The only caveat to that is if Nelson has somehow made a massive leap this offseason, and is playing at a considerably higher level that he has ever played in his entire football career.

If that's the case, wow, great news.

Otherwise, having last years no-talent-team #4 WR be this years #2 WR is, at the least, shocking, and probably not the best news of the day.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nelson is a keeper as he has the trust of Geno. I do think that the Jets will deal for a WR before the season starts.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    +1

Nelson is (or was, up till now) a total JAG, a prime candidate for why the 2014 Jets were labeled as having "absolutely no talent around Geno Smith".

If he is our #2 WR, after an offseason of acquiring WR's, that's very disappointing IMO. He should be a fringe might-not-make-the-team guy, not your #2.

The only caveat to that is if Nelson has somehow made a massive leap this offseason, and is playing at a considerably higher level that he has ever played in his entire football career.

Otherwise, having last years no-talent-team #4 WR be this years #2 WR is, at the least, shocking, and probably not the best news of the day.
    You're really calling Nelson a JAG? Really?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrebet_The_Man View Post
    You're really calling Nelson a JAG? Really?
    Well...Nelson is actually the definition of a JAG. He's not starting quality for an elite team, so if he's starting on your team it means you need an upgrade at the WR position.

I do think he's a good player. Along with Kerley, he was reliable and did a nice job moving the sticks in a few games. That said, the Jets aren't done at WR until a guy like Nelson is the #4 target. Then they're working with something.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

His second year in the league he had 61 catches for 650+ yards and 5 TDs. He is definitely a possession receiver (avg around 11 YPC), but he is tall, physical and can block. I agree that I dont want him seeing the 2nd most targets on the team, but he is also a guy that can bring certain elements of talent to this team, things that other guys cant offer.

Our #2 WR is Kerley - whether the idiots at the NY Post realize it or not. He is not "too small to play outside" (antonio brown is 5'11 186 and kerley is 5'10 188), he is dependable, good after the catch, and should EASILY take another step forward as a player now that we have a good complimentary player next to him in decker, a possible mismatch at TE with Amaro and hopefully the best QB play he has had in his NFL Career.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nelson is clutch ... He just catches the ball nearly every time it's thrown his direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Nelson is the #2 receiver that doesn't mean that he's going to have the 2nd most receptions on the team or be the #2 target.

Decker, Kerley and Amaro will all most likely have more targets than Nelson. Hell, maybe even Cumberland and CJ as well.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    His second year in the league he had 61 catches for 650+ yards and 5 TDs. He is definitely a possession receiver (avg around 11 YPC), but he is tall, physical and can block. I agree that I dont want him seeing the 2nd most targets on the team, but he is also a guy that can bring certain elements of talent to this team, things that other guys cant offer.

Our #2 WR is Kerley - whether the idiots at the NY Post realize it or not. He is not "too small to play outside" (antonio brown is 5'11 186 and kerley is 5'10 188), he is dependable, good after the catch, and should EASILY take another step forward as a player now that we have a good complimentary player next to him in decker, a possible mismatch at TE with Amaro and hopefully the best QB play he has had in his NFL Career.
    Good post. Good reasoning.

If Nelson can be a #3 that puts up the kind of numbers you listed, that'd be great. If our #1 and #2 are 900-1,200 yard, 5-8 TD each guys.

And in Nelson's favor (as is mentioned above), Geno DID seem to like/latch on to him at times as his "safety blanket", which isn;t necessarily a bad thing in an overall more-talented WR group as long as it's not over-used or too predictable. Nelson also seems to have very good hands (unlike a certain Mr. Hill).

Perhaps I'm being too hasty, but it's hard to get past Nelson being a core member of the "no talent at WR" 2013 Jets, and now being proclaimed as a vital #2 WR for the 2014 Jets.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post. Good reasoning.

If Nelson can be a #3 that puts up the kind of numbers you listed, that'd be great. If our #1 and #2 are 900-1,200 yard, 5-8 TD each guys.

And in Nelson's favor (as is mentioned above), Geno DID seem to like/latch on to him at times as his "safety blanket", which isn;t necessarily a bad thing in an overall more-talented WR group as long as it's not over-used or too predictable. Nelson also seems to have very good hands (unlike a certain Mr. Hill).

Perhaps I'm being too hasty, but it's hard to get past Nelson being a core member of the "no talent at WR" 2013 Jets, and now being proclaimed as a vital #2 WR for the 2014 Jets.
    He was picked up in mid season, isn't that right? For me, I'm okay with the #2, it doesn't mean we whiffed in the draft, as much as we whiffed with expectations and development of S Hill.

Nelson understands his role and is very clutch, for his track record.