Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Dee Milliner be an island ? ? ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Can Dee Milliner be an island ? ? ?

Not long after the Jets selected cornerback Dee Milliner with the ninth overall pick in April's NFL draft, Antonio Cromartie decided he had to take a good, hard look at the rookie who was likely to line up across from him this season.

Cromartie had become the Jets' No. 1 cornerback last year after Darrelle Revis tore his left ACL and missed the season's final 13 games. On April 21, unwilling to meet Revis's demands for a new contract, the Jets traded him to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.Four days later, they drafted Milliner, making it inevitable that the rookie would be compared with the man he was replacing—to a cornerback so highly respected around the NFL that he had earned the audacious nickname Revis Island.

Using software called Hudl, Cromartie downloaded video clips from Milliner's career at Alabama to his laptop. What he saw impressed him."He's pressed a lot, and that's what we like: press corners. He's good in the run game, and he's also a guy who can play the ball very well, too," Cromartie said. "We're not asking him to come in and be Darrelle Revis. We're asking him to come in and be Dee Milliner."Now that Milliner has come to terms with the Jets on a four-year contract, ending his weeklong holdout by agreeing to the deal Sunday night, coach Rex Ryan and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman can begin assimilating him into the lineup.

The process will take time. Milliner didn't report in time for Monday's practice, and since the Jets are off Tuesday, the earliest he could work out with the team would be Wednesday."It's football," he said. "I know I'll be fine."

Because he has been recovering from right shoulder surgery in March, Milliner didn't take the field for the Jets in any of their off-season minicamps or organized team activities, though he showed an impressive understanding of the team's defensive scheme during meetings with his coaches and teammates."If he's done any studying at all" during his time away from the team, "he should come in and be fairly close to where he needs to be," Thurman said.Once he gets himself into the requisite physical shape to play regularly, Milliner should adapt quickly to the NFL and, more specifically, to the Jets' style of defense, said former Cleveland Browns general manager Phil Savage, who works as an analyst on Alabama radio broadcasts.

Under coach Nick Saban, Alabama has won three national titles in the last four years. It runs a system that is far more complex than that of an average college team, Savage said—a "pattern-reading defense" in which players' assignments change based on every shift or movement an offense makes.For example, Milliner might have lined up across from a wide receiver, on the outside of the formation, on a given play. But he'd keep his eyes inside on the tight end, and he'd react based on what the tight end—not the wide receiver he appeared to be covering—did."The eye control and the zone positioning, he's going to have a very strong handle on that," Savage said. "And the concepts that the Jets utilize will be very similar to what he's accustomed to at Alabama."

At 6 feet and 201 pounds, Milliner is virtually the same size that Revis (6 feet, 204 pounds) was when the Jets drafted him in 2007. And Milliner's time of 4.37 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the NFL combine showed that he possesses "big-time, straight-line speed," Savage said.That speed is important, given that Savage identified one potential weakness in Milliner's game. In Alabama's defense, it was rare for him to line up in single coverage and give an opposing receiver a seven- or eight-yard cushion off the line of scrimmage. Usually, Milliner had "boundaries"—the sideline, perhaps, or a safety between the hash marks—that limited the area of the field for which he was responsible. He'll have to get used to covering a receiver in more open space.

"The one thing that he's got to prove," Savage said, "is that he can play out on an island."

> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...s_newyork_main

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly keep forgetting about this kid.

I'm TOTALLY pumped to see what Richardson can do, and curious about Smith (but not ready to jump on the bandwagon). I'm actually more excited about MM than any individual player on the offense! But I have to keep reminding myself Milliner was actually our top pick. I guess I got tired of hearing how "Rex loves his CBs" and am looking forward to a more traditional, overpowering front 4. But if this kid could turn into something, with the focus Cromartie seems to be preparing with -- this defense could finally be as dominant on the field as they always appear to be on paper . . .

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The New York Jets expect rookie Dee Milliner to be a terrific cornerback. But they don't expect him to be as good as the player he's replacing."Dee Milliner is never going to be Darrelle Revis," Jets coach Rex Ryan said Monday, shortly before Milliner arrived at training camp. "He'll just be Dee Milliner, and I think that will be good enough."

After missing the first three days of practice, Milliner agreed to a four-year, $12.66 million contract late Sunday night. He didn't make it in time to get on the field, but he's expected for the next practice on Wednesday.Milliner said his surgically repaired shoulder is 100 percent, but he will be limited in practice, according to the Jets. He passed the team physical, but won't take the conditioning test until Tuesday at the earliest.

"I know I'll be ready for contact," Milliner said.

The Jets spent the day trying to downplay the Milliner-Revis comparisons."I tell you what: I hope when he plays, there are those comparisons," Ryan said. "I understand where people are coming from, but Darrelle was a special player. We'll see what kind of player Dee is."The Jets traded Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because they didn't want to meet his demands for a contract extension. They didn't go into the draft expecting to pick a cornerback with the ninth overall choice, but they selected Milliner when he unexpectedly slid.

Even though Pro Bowl cornerback Antonio Cromartie will assume Revis' role of covering the opponents' No. 1 wide receiver, the perception is that Milliner is replacing Revis, a three-time All-Pro."He can't be compared [to Revis]," Cromartie said. "He's got to make sure he doesn't get caught up in trying to be compared to him. He's his own man, Darrelle is his own man. The only thing he has to do is be Dee Milliner."Every rookie who signs late has to play catch-up, but Milliner's situation is different because he missed the entire offseason program. The Jets say the former Alabama star performed well in the classroom during OTAs and minicamp, but they readily admit they have no idea about his physical condition.

"I'm very much in shape, like I've been playing football the whole time," Milliner said.This has been the longest layoff of Milliner's career. He rehabbed at the Jets' facility until June before heading to Alabama, where he continued the Jets' rehab regiment at the school.

video...http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-rex-ryan-says

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could it be that fate smiled down on the Jets during this off season?

Jets hire a real OC in Marty

Greedy selfish Revis traded & now we have 2- 3rd round picks next year 12 in all

Milliner drops to us

Richardson drops to us

Geno drops to the 2nd round

Holmes, Sanchez & Harris contract will be gone or greatly reduced

Psyched

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, since Dee Island sounds kinda weird, I'm prepared to unleash my nickname for him:

Tenacious Dee

Remember folks, you heard it here first!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alternate: Milliner Time

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No man is an island.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It is funny that as I get more & more excited that has been without even thinking about our 1st pick ?!?!

I am really liking this draft!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, maybe a peninsula.

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel so bad for Milliner since people will always be comparing him to Revis from the moment he sets foot on the field, and people will ignore what Revis looked like at the start of his NFL career. (You can see Randy Moss running past him for a few TDs) I have no idea if Milliner will be good or not, but I'm hopeful that he will be a solid player and I like everything that I've seen from him so far. He definitely won't be Revis, but no one is, and that's fine.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Could it be that fate smiled down on the Jets during this off season?

Jets hire a real OC in Marty

Greedy selfish Revis traded & now we have 2- 3rd round picks next year 12 in all

Milliner drops to us

Richardson drops to us

Geno drops to the 2nd round

Holmes, Sanchez & Harris contract will be gone or greatly reduced

Psyched
    +1

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    I feel so bad for Milliner since people will always be comparing him to Revis from the moment he sets foot on the field, and people will ignore what Revis looked like at the start of his NFL career. (You can see Randy Moss running past him for a few TDs) I have no idea if Milliner will be good or not, but I'm hopeful that he will be a solid player and I like everything that I've seen from him so far. He definitely won't be Revis, but no one is, and that's fine.
    I disagree. Revis from his very first game was amazing. He did get tricked a few times once by TO, and maybe once by Moss. The only receiver who abused revis was Braylon, who was having the season of his career.

It does suck for Milner but ehh as long as he is better than Wilson ill be happy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bubba Island.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    This.

Also, I'm so stoked about our draft this year. I am probably getting myself a little to high in the sky right now, even though I'm trying to temper expectations, but it's just so hard. All I hear about is how Richardson is looking great in camp, Winters looks like he's ready to beat some D-Linemen silly, etc etc, AHHH I hope this is it, and by "it" I mean a great set up year to build the foundation of a very capable team. Wouldn't mind surprising some people and turning some heads too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I disagree. Revis from his very first game was amazing. He did get tricked a few times once by TO, and maybe once by Moss. The only receiver who abused revis was Braylon, who was having the season of his career.

It does suck for Milner but ehh as long as he is better than Wilson ill be happy.
    Very good yes but amazing?? The first year that Cro started he made the Pro Bowl and All Pro..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Very good yes but amazing?? The first year that Cro started he made the Pro Bowl and All Pro..
    Yeah I can't say I remember Revis being AMAZING. As a rookie he was very able but got beat here and there, very good, especially for a rookie, but I reserve "amazing" for what he did in year three when he really became Revis island.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    Yeah I can't say I remember Revis being AMAZING. As a rookie he was very able but got beat here and there, very good, especially for a rookie, but I reserve "amazing" for what he did in year three when he really became Revis island.
    I remember him being so good , i thought it was a fluke and week after week I waited for him to stumble ... he only got better. He was a once in a lifetime guy ... we were super lucky we got to watch him play here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I remember him being so good , i thought it was a fluke and week after week I waited for him to stumble ... he only got better. He was a once in a lifetime guy ... we were super lucky we got to watch him play here.
    No, he DEFINITELY got burned in his rookie year

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Milliner played against much better college competition (Alabama/Pitt), was considered a top five draftee (Me-vis never was) and was drafted at 9 (Me-vis went at 16).

Rex is just trying to lower expectations but it's definitely possible that DM can be as good or better than Me-vis

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't say burned. If so please remind all of us who burned him and what the stats were, thanks