Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pope cool with gay priests.

Pope cool with gay priests.

Jets Insider VIP
    Your overly simplistic thread title is exceptionally misleading.

And intentional, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post

JI Liberals.

Spend years denouncing gay priests for touching little boys instead of adhering to their vows, and obliterate the church for tolerating/protecting them.

Pope says "gays ok".

Come to JI to applaud gay priests being tolerated by the church now.

Catholic Priests are, by vow, celibate. As such they are neither gay nor strait, they are celibate. The problem with the Catholic Church is that they didn't simply eject every single priest who broke his vows, gay, strait or sex abuser, and let the law deal with law breaking (i.e. the gay pedo priests). After all, it's not like anyone was forced to take these vows....their 1005 voluntary, and Priests can quit at any point in time if they want to have sex, gay or strait.

To say the least, the current progressive cheerleading thats goping on over this is odd to say the least.
    Last edited by Churchill; 07-30-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    I didn't get that impression from reading the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    JI Liberals.

Spend years denouncing gay priests for touching little boys instead of adhering to their vows, and obliterate the church for tolerating/protecting them.

Pope says "gays ok".

Catholic Priests are, by vow, celibate. As such they are neither gay nor strait, they are celibate. The problem with the Catholic Church is that they didn't simply eject every single priest who broke his vows, gay, strait or sex abuser, and let the law deal with law breaking (i.e. the gay pedo priests). After all, it's not like anyone was forced to take these vows....their 1005 voluntary, and Priests can quit at any point in time if they want to have sex, gay or strait.

To say the least, the current progressive cheerleading thats goping on over this is odd to say the least.
    I don't think Gay is the same thing as a pedofile. I hope and assume that is not what the Pope was saying at all. This Pope has brought a monumental shift to the Catholic church with this proclamation. It is very big news. I didn't think he was referring specifically to priests either. He made a general statement about Homosexuality. He said who am I to judge. It is the right attitude to have about actions considered sinful. It is technically sinful to have intercourse outside of marriage. Most people do it anyway. The Pope is right in reflecting the Christian principle of "let whomever among us that is not guilty cast the first stone". We are all sinners.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I don't think Gay is the same thing as a pedofile.
    I expect better from you Chiefs.

Of course Gay =/= Pedo.

However, the abuses within the Church is almost exclusively Man on Boy Pedo. Thats Homosexual, like it or not.

JI Liberals.

Pope says "gays ok".

Celibacy is the act of not acting upon desires. Priest are most assuredly gay, straight or bi. Priests have sexual desire, they just aren't supposed to act on them.

I think its a great first step for this Pope to even discuss this issue and stop demonizing gays. I hope his flock follows his lead.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post

WALL STREET JOURNAL HEADLINE

Pope Signals Openness to Gay Priests

Better?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Celibacy is the act of not acting upon desires. Priest are most assuredly gay, straight or bi. Priests have sexual desire, they just aren't supposed to act on them.

I think its a great first step for this Pope to even discuss this issue and stop demonizing gays. I hope his flock follows his lead.
    What's next??? Jews in the priest hood?

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    What's next??? Jews in the priest hood?
    Oy vey!

Then it's clear you've misunderstood not only the Catholic view on Homosexuality, but what the Pope said.

Catholics (as a whole) do not "demonize" gays by Church Policy, anymore than they demonize any other sin, nor anymore than Judaism does. The homosexual act is a sin in both faiths. Nothing the Pope said contradicts these policies as they existed previously.

Like any sinner, it's not the desire, it's the action, generally speaking. And like all sinners, the Catholic Church does not want to demonize, but to forgive (their sins) and educate (in their faith) why the person shouldn't sin anymore.

Turning this into "Gay Catholic Priests here We Come!" is, to say the least, a slight exageration currently being bandied about on the left today.

I should also point out:

The subject of Judaism and sexual orientation dates back to the Torah, in the books of Bere**** and Vayiqra. Bere**** (Genesis) treats the destruction of the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by God. Vayiqra (Leviticus) forbids sexual intercourse between males, classifying it as a to'eivah (something abhorred or detested) that can be subject to capital punishment under halakha (Jewish law).
    And just like in your faith, this issue is one of debate and dvision (of opinions) in Catholisism as well.
    Last edited by Churchill; 07-30-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    This is only news to the ignorant.

I expect better from you Chiefs.

Of course Gay =/= Pedo.

However, the abuses within the Church is almost exclusively Man on Boy Pedo. Thats Homosexual, like it or not.
    There is no crime more vile then pedofelia. I believe that people that harm or sexually abuse children should be put to death. I've spoken about it here in these forums many times. I think you are skewing the Popes well intentioned words and I don't believe that all gays are pedofiles or even that the two things are particularly related at all.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I don't believe that all gays are pedofiles
    Good, if unneccessary, since no one has made that claim.

or even that the two things are particularly related at all.
    Again, good, if unneccessary, since no one made that claim either.

The facts (not claims) are that the vast majoriyt of Catholic Priest child abuse has been man->boy.

Man->boy is Homosexuality (defined as male on male sex) AND Pedo (defined as adult and child sex).

Then it's clear you've misunderstood not only the Catholic view on Homosexuality, but what the Pope said.

Catholics (as a whole) do not "demonize" gays by Church Policy, anymore than they demonize any other sin, nor anymore than Judaism does. The homosexual act is a sin in both faiths. Nothing the Pope said contradicts these policies as they existed previously.

Like any sinner, it's not the desire, it's the action, generally speaking. And like all sinners, the Catholic Church does not want to demonize, but to forgive (their sins) and educate (in their faith) why the person shouldn't sin anymore.

Turning this into "Gay Catholic Priests here We Come!" is, to say the least, a slight exageration currently being bandied about on the left today.

I should also point out:

And just like in your faith, this issue is one of debate and dvision (of opinions) in Catholisism as well.
    Gay Catholic Priests here We Come! Did I say that?

Not demonizing? Benedict XVI wrote that homosexuality was “an intrinsic moral evil."

I'm just glad this Pope is a bit more enlightened, and hope the flock follows.

And FTR Im an atheist.

Good, if unneccessary, since no one has made that claim.

Again, good, if unneccessary, since no one made that claim either.

The facts (not claims) are that the vast majoriyt of Catholic Priest child abuse has been man->boy.

Man->boy is Homosexuality (defined as male on male sex) AND Pedo (defined as adult and child sex).
    I get that but are you saying that the Pope was condoning pedophiles in the priesthood? I didn't interpret his comment that way at all.

And FTR Im an atheist.
    You forgot ignorant.

Gay Catholic Priests here We Come! Did I say that?

Not demonizing? Benedict XVI wrote that homosexuality was “an intrinsic moral evil."

I'm just glad this Pope is a bit more enlightened, and hope the flock follows.

And FTR Im an atheist.
    So you're not a Jew then? Funny, I coulda swore you've said you were.

Doesn't matter tbqh. Catholic Church isn't changing and didn't change anything, but if you want to celebrate this comment, be my guest.

So you're not a Jew then? Funny, I coulda swore you've said you were.

Doesn't matter tbqh. Catholic Church isn't changing and didn't change anything, but if you want to celebrate this comment, be my guest.
    Thanks!

(Born Jewish....gave it up...the fasting, ya know)

And yeah I know its not changing. But the nicer tone can only foster good.

Thanks!

(Born Jewish....gave it up...the fasting, ya know)
    Aye, as a former Catholic I certainly understand being a former-

And yeah I know its not changing. But the nicer tone can only foster good.
    I agree, and happen to like the vibe of this new Pope thus far.

It's more the political reaction in some quarters that had me a bit confused is all.