Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What happens when you make 30 hrs "full time" for health benefits?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    I am shocked Obama is causing it, the unknown consequences of utter stupidity.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why are the Teamsters going nuts over Obamacare? They see the writing on the wall.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wal-Mart broke the law numerous amounts times when dealing with their employees as well. If the owners have over 500 employees why bother making this obvious political stunt?
    Obvious political stunt? You are too funny. You think a business is busy making political stunts? They are doing what businesses do which is try to make money and stay in business. They cut hours FOR PART TIME WORKERS down below the 30 threshold. Their full time employees were not affected. The same is being done at retailers and restaurants throughout the country to comply with Obamacare. A business simply can not pay the grocery bagger's $1000 a month insurance premiums. That would effectively double that baggers salary and break a supermarket business which all run on super thin margins to begin with. The solution will be more automation and less employees not raising prices and paying for insurance. As a rich government worker with hefty benefits and a pension I'm sure you could care less about some grocery bagger making $8 an hour getting their hours cut or job taken away. As long as supreme leader Soetero says its good then it must be. But those of us in the real world with the ability to use logic and common sense reasoning understand the harm this law is inflicting on the working poor.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Obvious political stunt? You are too funny. You think a business is busy making political stunts? They are doing what businesses do which is try to make money and stay in business. They cut hours FOR PART TIME WORKERS down below the 30 threshold. Their full time employees were not affected. The same is being done at retailers and restaurants throughout the country to comply with Obamacare. A business simply can not pay the grocery bagger's $1000 a month insurance premiums. That would effectively double that baggers salary and break a supermarket business which all run on super thin margins to begin with. The solution will be more automation and less employees not raising prices and paying for insurance. As a rich government worker with hefty benefits and a pension I'm sure you could care less about some grocery bagger making $8 an hour getting their hours cut or job taken away. As long as supreme leader Soetero says its good then it must be. But those of us in the real world with the ability to use logic and common sense reasoning understand the harm this law is inflicting on the working poor.
    Lets just raise the minimum wage to $25 an hour and full benefits for all.

Please tell me what's wrong with that?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Reagan made sure my pension remains minuscule and my benefits are ok, nothing compared to the majority of police departments in the U.S.

Did you look at what the owners of these stores own? It's a bs political stance they are taking here.

Any other personal shots you would like to take here?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reagan made sure my pension remains minuscule and my benefits are ok, nothing compared to the majority of police departments in the U.S.

Did you look at what the owners of these stores own? It's a bs political stance they are taking here.

You're whining that your pension isn't as good as cops? They're putting their life on the line while you're putting your stupid on line. Do you realize that most of us in the private sector don't get ANY pension?

The lack of understanding of how business operates in this thread is astounding. Not surprising from folks who are compensated not on the basis of what they produce, but on what has been forced.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    You're whining that your pension isn't as good as cops? They're putting their life on the line while you're putting your stupid on line. Do you realize that most of us in the private sector don't get ANY pension?

The lack of understanding of how business operates in this thread is astounding. Not surprising from folks who are compensated not on the basis of what they produce, but on what has been forced.
    Stuff goes right over your head huh.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    And?

My employer doesn't offer me food or housing or clothing either you know. Nor are they required to, nor should they be required to.

The problem is not that they don't, the problem is that society seems to have this expectation that they should, when no other product or service in the marketplace is tied to employment in that way.

How about we be rational, and understand that health insurance is a product, just like any other life-vital product like food, water, power, clothing and housing, and understand that this product should not be tied to employment (even if some employers choose to offer it as a part of compensation) and instead educate the populace about it, and let them choose their insurance on their own in a private transaction, just like food, clothing, housing and every other neccessity is handled today?

See, here we have the REAL issue. It's not about healthcare at all. It's about the percieved evils of profit (how dare they make profit!), and the evils of CEO's making more money than floor workers (how dare they!). I.e. Wealth Distribution.

Perhaps the focus should be, beyond what I wrote at the top above, that if you (and individual) do not like your workplace compensation, the best answer is to find a different workplace, rather than demand the Government force your workplace to compensate you beyond what you labor is worth to the business? Craytalk in progressive Merxist land, I know. Apparently the only solution is state mandated wealth-distribution-equallity in some minds....
    Health care is a right not a privilege.

Owning a new lexus is not a right for everyone.

Getting cancer treatment should be.

Profit is wonderful. Greed is not.

Capitalism is a tool to help make better society. It is not a wild beast that should be allowed to devour everything.

If you don't want to tie it to employers then figure out another solution. Wait, whats that sound?............................................ .....

Its nothing. And that's exactly what the politicians were doing about the affordability and availability of health care prior to the new health care laws.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    No it isn't. Neither is food. Neither is clothing. Neither is Shelter.

If you want those things to be rights, there is a path to doing that, called amending the Constitution.

I'd be happy to have that debate. But till then, healthcare is no more a "right" than free Toyotas are.

Owning a new lexus is not a right for everyone.

Getting cancer treatment should be.
    Note the world "should". Put simply, thats not for you to decide, it's for all of us to decide, under the law and system of Government who have.

Profit is wonderful. Greed is not.

Capitalism is a tool to help make better society. It is not a wild beast that should be allowed to devour everything.

If you don't want to tie it to employers then figure out another solution. Wait, whats that sound?............................................ .....

Its nothing.
    The alternative is what i said earlier, to treat it like other even more life-vital neccessities. I.e. most will buy it from a regulated marketplace of options and competitors, some will be aided in buying it in that marketplace via Govt. aid programs, and if some choose not to buy it, that too is their right.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait until after the Supreme Court rules on it. Oops.

Hospitals were created as a charity in the event you get sick, the sick would have place to be treated.

Insurance companies run healthcare and created rules to make as much money as possible, Obamacare isn't great because the same scumbag companies are running Obamacare.

Warfish, this isn't a BS game to people who couldn't get insurance for pre-existing conditions or simply were crushed by the non-covered care they desperately needed, your fairy tale land is exactly that, fake.

No it isn't. Neither is food. Neither is clothing. Neither is Shelter.

If you want those things to be rights, there is a path to doing that, called amending the Constitution.

I'd be happy to have that debate. But till then, healthcare is no more a "right" than free Toyotas are.

Note the world "should". Put simply, thats not for you to decide, it's for all of us to decide, under the law and system of Government who have.

The alternative is what i said earlier, to treat it like other even more life-vital neccessities. I.e. most will buy it from a regulated marketplace of options and competitors, some will be aided in buying it in that marketplace via Govt. aid programs, and if some choose not to buy it, that too is their right.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about we be rational...
    good luck with that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    good luck with that.
    Being rational is when someone who isn't insured gets sick or hurt goes to emergency room and gets treated? Who pays for that service? That's not passed onto everyone else? Lets be rational.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about getting the government out of healthcare and let the people buy a plan that suits their needs. You want abortion, contraception the pill put it in your policy and you pay for it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    How about getting the government out of healthcare and let the people buy a plan that suits their needs. You want abortion, contraception the pill put it in your policy and you pay for it.
    The government is not running Obamacare, insurance companies will be, feel free to call any of them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The government is not running Obamacare, insurance companies will be, feel free to call any of them.
    With rules written by the government. Insurance companies picked by the government. How Gullible are you?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hospitals were created as a charity in the event you get sick, the sick would have place to be treated.
    Yup. Exactly.

No one was forced to fork over money to support it. The fact is, humanity will come together in support of itself. We don't need to be forced to do anything.

This utopia the left is dreaming about would come naturally if you let humanity have the CHOICE to do something good... The reason the left refuses to is because that utopia isn't what they want. They want voters. A replenishing base of poor or idealistic voters who are being swindled by the very people they feel align closest with their core beliefs...

Ironically enough, all that charitable healthcare was provided by the Church(es)... Amazing how the left could utterly abhor something that represents the spirit of their ideology...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pennsylvania Hospital was the first hospital I remember reading about why it was started but I went to look again about how the hospital decided on who got care and who did not but I stumbled upon this as well, people did have to "fork" over money.

Those wishing admittance to the hospital also had to be sponsored by two tax-paying citizens in order to provide "burial or travel deposits to idemnify the hospital, either from the expense of burial in case they die, or to defray the expense of carrying them back to their place of abode, that they may not become a charge to the city."
    http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/paharc/fea...admission.html

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Yup. Exactly.

No one was forced to fork over money to support it. The fact is, humanity will come together in support of itself. We don't need to be forced to do anything.

This utopia the left is dreaming about would come naturally if you let humanity have the CHOICE to do something good... The reason the left refuses to is because that utopia isn't what they want. They want voters. A replenishing base of poor or idealistic voters who are being swindled by the very people they feel align closest with their core beliefs...

Ironically enough, all that charitable healthcare was provided by the Church(es)... Amazing how the left could utterly abhor something that represents the spirit of their ideology...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not taking personal shots. When you make a statement claiming that all the business owners cutting worker hours to comply with the mandate are somehow making a political stance, you have to understand that those among us that work in the real world get that companies don't make these kinds of moves as political stunts which could potentially offend their customer bases. The entire premise is beyond absurd.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being rational is when someone who isn't insured gets sick or hurt goes to emergency room and gets treated? Who pays for that service? That's not passed onto everyone else? Lets be rational.
    In a rational word, the person recieving the service would pay for it.

If they were unable to pay, in a rational word, we would still treat them, but they would be liable in the future for what they got in the form of debt to be repaid.

If they were poor, we as a society (in a rational world) may agree to help subsidize some of the costs for them via a social welfare program with strict rules, evaluation and criteria to ensure no fraud or waste occurs.

Thats what I see as a rational world.

A world in which healthcare is a human right, where the State mandates how, when and by whom healthcare can/must be provided, and the State forces every citizen to buy a private insurance product or face cash penalties and jail time if one doesn't pay is not a rational world. It's a typical communist/collectivist utopia fantasy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Link?

Don't bother, there isn't one. Unlike say, the explicitly stated right to bear arms, which we seem fine with limiting.

Until otherwise defined, the fact remains that health care is a transaction of a service for compensation. Nothing more in reality, regardless of opinion on what it "should be".