Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What happens when you make 30 hrs "full time" for health benefits?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    You are joking about the uninsured right? "Most" chose not be insured? Good friend of mine just lost his leg in a motorcycle accident, it was not his fault he was hit by a van. He lost his leg from the knee down, just was released from rehab because he worked hard, his insurance company just dropped him, stating he's done with rehab and could care less what happens next to him. He hasn't been fitted for a leg yet. What happens next to him? Or my sister who has gotten divorced and is a court reporter who works as a contractor, she has been turned down for insurance because she broke her nose as a young adult.

Private insurance companies make money by denying you care and hope you do not fight to get the benefits you pay for, they hope you just give up and accept their horrific service. You want to blame the gov't for intervention? You think you have a chance as a private person to go up against a company like Blue Cross?

How many people do you know that have dealt with their insurance company and have given glowing reviews about the wonderful service and how they easily received the care they needed in a timely manner? Or they were billed properly? On and on and on. Yea, it's the gov't fault.
    Did you read the article? It isn't what I "claim" it is a sourced article. Argue with them. I will say that when I was in college I wasn't worried about insurance. That it one of the major justifications of Obamacare. It FORCES young healthy people into a market that they normally wouldn't be a part of to offset the costs of other people. In the 4 years I was in college (after the Air Force) and until I got married and got on my wife's plan I had no insurance. That was for about 7 years. I had to go to a doctor twice; once for bad poison ivy and once for a badly sprained ankle. I paid about $500 out of pocket for both total. I guess I would have been better off paying $500/month for those 7 years, right? $42000 saved. Before you ask, had I actually needed something that would cost a lot I am sure my family would have taken care of me.

I never said choosing to not be insured is always a good idea for the young but it is a chance many people take along with a myriad of other ill advised decisions.

As for your anecdotes would Obamacare have stopped your friend from taking the risk of riding a motorcycle? I assume his motorcycle insurance covered a lot. Does he not have health insurance? You didn't mention that? About your friend with the uninsurable nose, give me a break.

Sorry only your anecdotes are credible. He has health insurance and they cut him off. Yea, I'm making up the fact that pre-existing conditions was used to deny someone health insurance.

You were lucky you didn't get sick while not having health insurance because you would of bankrupted your family if god forbid something bad would of happen to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Did you read the article? It isn't what I "claim" it is a sourced article. Argue with them. I will say that when I was in college I wasn't worried about insurance. That it one of the major justifications of Obamacare. It FORCES young healthy people into a market that they normally wouldn't be a part of to offset the costs of other people. In the 4 years I was in college (after the Air Force) and until I got married and got on my wife's plan I had no insurance. That was for about 7 years. I had to go to a doctor twice; once for bad poison ivy and once for a badly sprained ankle. I paid about $500 out of pocket for both total. I guess I would have been better off paying $500/month for those 7 years, right? $42000 saved. Before you ask, had I actually needed something that would cost a lot I am sure my family would have taken care of me.

I never said choosing to not be insured is always a good idea for the young but it is a chance many people take along with a myriad of other ill advised decisions.

As for your anecdotes would Obamacare have stopped your friend from taking the risk of riding a motorcycle? I assume his motorcycle insurance covered a lot. Does he not have health insurance? You didn't mention that? About your friend with the uninsurable nose, give me a break.

All Pro
    You were lucky you didn't get sick while not having health insurance because you would of bankrupted your family if god forbid something bad would of happen to you.
    Families go bankrupt for getting sick or having an accident even if they do all the right things and are insured.

For-profit, private, employment based health industry. That's what it was, and that's what it still is. All this outrage, and nothing really of substance has changed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Sorry only your anecdotes are credible. He has health insurance and they cut him off. Yea, I'm making up the fact that pre-existing conditions was used to deny someone health insurance.

Again, SOURCED ARTICLE, not all anecdotal. There is no way that someone was denied coverage because of a broken nose. There has to be more to the story or it is fake.

As far as being lucky it is playing the odds, just like the rest of life.

Again, SOURCED ARTICLE, not all anecdotal. There is no way that someone was denied coverage because of a broken nose. There has to be more to the story or it is fake.

As far as being lucky it is playing the odds, just like the rest of life.
    Deviated septum, she broke her nose.

There are five Trig's grocery stores and they are owned by T.A. Solberg, they could easily give their employees benefits.
    Maybe. Margins on groceries are extremely tight. I doubt it would be a minor expense. Regardless I don't see Trig as doing anything long cutting cost however it can legally.

What about our healthcare system is "horrible" that wasn't a product of government intervention in the first place? Most of the statistics that put American health care below other countries are based on flawed statistics like reporting mortality rates differently and giving points for socialized health care. Medicare and Medicaid helped push pricing up more than anything else mostly due to unchecked fraud. As for the supposed uninsured, A. Obamacare will not make a bit of difference. B. Most are uninsured because they CHOOSE to be uninsured.

From 2009 but it is still relevant
    http://www.factcheck.org/2009/06/the-real-uninsured/
    I agree that most of the dysfunction and cost is our healthcare system is a product of government intervention. My frustration with the American healthcare system stems mostly from the FDA. The FDA is the single largest contributor to the cost of healthcare in this country.

That said i dislike the employer healthcare model. I'd much prefer private exchanges to be the norm. I also dislike the fact that a lapse in insurance has the potential to ruin you for the rest of your life. Obama care wasn't the answer, and i can't tell you what the answer is, but i would like to figure out a way that contracting TB while insured wasn't a financial death sentence.

You pay out of pocket for office visits and buy insurance for hospital costs. People will cut down on office visits or pay for it! This is much better then the current system or Obama's massive headache. The unions hate it and our representatives are out of it.

The government is not running Obamacare, insurance companies will be, feel free to call any of them.
    The IRS will be running Obama care.

MJ, That makes me feel so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    MJ, That makes me feel so much better.

Doesn't it?