Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Coples playing OLB?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I had the same general questions when this move was announced. I had felt that Coples was a bit too big at 290 to be effective in this role. I was told that he is apparently right out of central casting as an edge rusher ala Mario Williams and Julius Peppers. Hopefully this belief is correct and Coples is productive in this role and it isn't another case of Rex blowing smoke up our collective asses ala Gholston or Maybin.

To the complaints of a few regarding the responses, it's par for the course on the Landing Strip as of late. The tenor of responses by a handful of posters has been pretty shameful, IMO.
    I don't see Peppers, Williams, or Ware with Coples. I have high hopes for Coples but I see him more of a Trevor Pryce which isn't bad at all. Those guys are a bit more explosive as edge rushers while Pryce created havoc more inside ... If Coples ends up being anything like Will, Pep, or Ware at their best ... we're in serious business. I'd forgive Rex for a lot if he's right about this ... lets just hope.

Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    Don't insult those interns. Since you're new here you gotta get used to the "too cool for school" guys. Understand this is a who can piss father contest as much as it is a football forum. (unforuntately) Just ignore it ... talk football and keep it moving. My favorite part is when guys post GIF's as a response to get their inner Fonz on. Everyone here is Bill Walsh, Lombardi, & The Harbaugh Brothers combined. Careful debating with these guys. I got trashed for killing the Sparano hire, creating a post about Pace & Greene being overrated, saying I wanted James Jones over Burress, oh and here's my favorite ... ur gonna love this ... I got called things like "idiot" and "moron" for saying I was GLAD we ended up with Cro over Aso lol. Can't make this up bro. Good luck here .. they know it all!
    I hear ya.

I have no problem, but this AM, when I read the initial question, I was looking forward to an intelligent answer and it was nice to see an "answer" in the end. But to have to go through the banter for a ligit question is a waste of time, but I do get it.

I guess in the end it was more than usual.

To address you comments about being called an "idiot" and such, there really is no place for that, but that is the way things go in the internet age and the cloak of anonymity. Sometimes we should all take a step back and read what we write.
    Half the stuff wouldn't be said in person, unless of course your sitting around with your buddies downing a few beers and talking about the Jets, but maybe that is what this is all about...interesting either way I guess.

But, I'm still here and you do learn alot on this site, so I guess learn to live with it.

Thanks,

Dwayne

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't see Peppers, Williams, or Ware with Coples. I have high hopes for Coples but I see him more of a Trevor Pryce which isn't bad at all. Those guys are a bit more explosive as edge rushers while Pryce created havoc more inside ... If Coples ends up being anything like Will, Pep, or Ware at their best ... we're in serious business. I'd forgive Rex for a lot if he's right about this ... lets just hope.
    Me neither, but trying to argue that point with the sage football minds at JI led nowhere. I'd be happy as hell to be wrong, too.

I thought the idea of drafting this kid was to have 2 HUGE above average DE's and cause havoc up front so blitzing would be easier and we can get pressure easier with just a base defense & no extra man. Why in the world is Coples playing OLB? He's way too big for that IMO and not fast enough. I thought he would switch back and forth from DT to DE depending on the situation. He looked really good last year at certain times and seemed to be figuring things out. Why switch him in year 2 when he was just figuring it out in year 1? I'm trying to follow this as much as I can from reading articles and etc but what am I missing?
    Because Rex is living in the past. This is why he will fail and be gone after this year. This DE/LB hybrid was needed to help stop the run. Now with a pass happy league this type of player is really not needed. So instead of teaching this kid to be a beast on the DL, Rex is wasting this guys talent and time doing this. The Rex era is over.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by junker68 View Post
    That's fair...but then possibly the criticism should have been aimed at exactly what you described as the strong adjectives instead of bashing. Then at least it's a learning experience and the kid sees his way. The next day he provides a report that is more of an objective report. If I'm getting killed like that, I'm not posting and screw the report. I believe, the kid had good intentions when he sat down and wrote his observations.

Maybe I'm nitpicking now and I'm suggesting how people write, but sometimes the posts go overboard, but I definitely see your point and agree 100 percent.

Dwayne
    The problem is that certain posters find themselves in so many daggers-drawn arguments with other posters on here that even their more relaxed steady state is one where they are OK and ready to go off at a moment's notice. At this point this behavior is so normal and natural for them that they do not even notice it when the fact that it is not normal is pointed out to them. The real problem comes when this "hair trigger" fires in the direction of someone who may not be part of the regularly occurring knife fights in here. When that happens the person who went off is still not seeing any problem at all yet others around are looking at him thinking what a d1ck.

Somewhere along the line all of this is stifling debate and that is the reason we are all here after all.

All League
    As I posted before Coples is being used like Adailus Thomas when Rex had
    him in BAL. Thomas also didn't have OLB measurements (6-2 275) but
    in Rex's scheme he was a terror being moved around like a "chess piece"
    forcing the offense to identify him. Don't think about Coples measurements
    they're irrelevant he moves like a smaller man

Quote Originally Posted by paulyjet View Post
    He is way too slow to play LB... IDK that Rex knows football better than me...
    Rex, who's still playing slow Pace & Harris...
    Coples runs a 4.7 40 numb nuts... Yeah you sure know more about football than Rex

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Coples runs a 4.7 40 numb nuts... Yeah you sure know more about football than Rex
    Purely in the interest of playing devil's advocate; you do realize that straight line speed doesn't necessarily equate to much in this case, right?

Purely in the interest of playing devil's advocate; you do realize that straight line speed doesn't necessarily equate to much in this case, right?
    Yeah obviously... my point is calling coples slow is moronic, for a player his size he has freakish speed

All Pro
    Coples definitely has the athletic ability and foot speed to play as an Adalius Thomas / Terrell Suggs / Willie McGinnest style of oversized OLB in the 3-4. The biggest issues will be mental - he will have to read the game quickly and focus on his keys. Thinking too much on the field could negate some of his raw athletic talent - he needs experience to be able to react quickly and use his athletic gifts to make plays. There may be some bumps along the way as it's a totally different game on the edge for a guy accustomed to lining up inside.
    Last edited by mrcoops; 07-31-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yeah obviously... my point is calling coples slow is moronic, for a player his size he has freakish speed
    Hmmm. Not sure you got my meaning judging by this response. Coples can have "freakish speed" and still be slow. I think that's what the other poster was alluding to, as was I. No one is denying the guy has some terrific athletic measurables. But they may not translate to his being a quick OLB capable of playing in space. They may, however, translate to his chasing someone down that's smaller than him. Get what I'm saying? Not sure if I'm really conveying it properly.

Hmmm. Not sure you got my meaning judging by this response. Coples can have "freakish speed" and still be slow. I think that's what the other poster was alluding to, as was I. No one is denying the guy has some terrific athletic measurables. But they may not translate to his being a quick OLB capable of playing in space. They may, however, translate to his chasing someone down that's smaller than him. Get what I'm saying? Not sure if I'm really conveying it properly.
    Think Terrell Suggs not clay matthews... Coples will be fine

Jets Insider VIP
    Think Terrell Suggs not clay matthews... Coples will be fine
    Totally get that, but some here are under the impression that he will be more of the latter. I just hope the guy has an easy enough transition that he is able to make the best use of his athleticism.

In the modern NFL, "Pass Rush OLB" and "Pass Rush DE" are often interchangable positions who line up in similar locations to do similar things.

Given Rex Ryans penchant for moving players on D around to sow confusion and bring pressure (such that it is) from all portions of the defense, I would posit that Rex feels Coples can double as both an OLBH and DE in passing situation purely as a rush end. I would agree with an earlier poster that we're probably not going to see Coples in Pass Coverage on those downs, but rushing the QB from the hybrid OLB/DE location almost exclusively.

I.e. an example would be Jason Taylor, a DE who often lines up like a pass rushing close-to-the-line OLB.

Rookie
    I think that one thing, people are forgetting or ignoring, is that Coples DID play the same position, during the last 3 games, last year. NYStepchild is the only one I've seen allude to it..... there IS tape of him playing the spot, successfully, I might add. They tried him at it, last year, to see how he responded. I fully believe the coaching staff thinks he can excel at it, as do I.... or he wouldn't be playing there. We also need to get away from this "coverage responsibilities" talk..... he'll have as many as Suggs ever has. Even DEs and DTs get "coverage responsibilities", depending on the play call.

Hall Of Fame
    Moranic?

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Moranic?

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by junker68 View Post
    I know I'm new here and will get bashed by some...probably the same people who did the bashing.

Ladainian asked a simple question and it took a number of smart ass postings to get to an intelligent answer from NY Stepchild. Whether Stepchild was correct or not, it was a well thought answer to a real question.

Sometimes, I think I'm reading answers from interns for the Comedy Channel.

After reading the post and not being an x's and o's guy, I was wondering myself about Coples and I did get an answer and learned something.

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy the banter sometimes, but it was refreshing to get an answer. Out of about 8 posts, you get 2 serious postings, gets to be too much at times.

Same thing for the college kid who provided HIS insight into a day at camp, a number of posters went on to kill him because he perceived a practice session differently than people who weren't even there.
    Gotta give a kid a break...He's not a professional sports writer, he's a kid who went to a practice with his father, bull****ted half the day, no notes, just going from memory. Maybe one play stood out and that's what he remembered.

I'm sure the kid spent a good 45 minutes at the computer typing away.

Why even post then if you're getting to get your stones busted.

Enough of my early morning rant. Now I'm guilty of what I ranted about.

Enjoy your day.

Dwayne
    Thanks, and welcome. Hope to see more from you.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    As I posted before Coples is being used like Adailus Thomas when Rex had
    him in BAL. Thomas also didn't have OLB measurements (6-2 275) but
    in Rex's scheme he was a terror being moved around like a "chess piece"
    forcing the offense to identify him. Don't think about Coples measurements
    they're irrelevant he moves like a smaller man
    KRL, I am hearing that Coples has "NFL hips" like Revis or Charles Hayley - besides being an explosive player. Any further impressions/elucidations regarding the last sentence?

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    My guess is because Rex Ryan knows more about NFL defense than LadaimainIMnotDONE does
    Rex did start and/or gave extensive playing time to Eric Smith week after week even though many JI posters had zero desire to see him on the field save for special teams. We know how that turned out. So questioning Rex over that was blasphemy as well?