Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Coples playing OLB?

Hes 6'6 278, there are LBs that are 6'4 270.

Hes going to have his hand in the dirt most of the time and getting after the QB.

They drafted Sheldon Richardson to play the 3-4 DE/DT role.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    KRL, I am hearing that Coples has "NFL hips" like Revis or Charles Hayley - besides being an explosive player. Any further impressions/elucidations regarding the last sentence?
    No he doesn't have Revis skills (those are not normal) he's more like
    a heavier Jason Taylor

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    No he doesn't have Revis skills (those are not normal) he's more like
    a heavier Jason Taylor
    Which I think we would all take in a heartbeat (Dancing with the Stars notwithstanding)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I had the same general questions when this move was announced. I had felt that Coples was a bit too big at 290 to be effective in this role. I was told that he is apparently right out of central casting as an edge rusher ala Mario Williams and Julius Peppers. Hopefully this belief is correct and Coples is productive in this role and it isn't another case of Rex blowing smoke up our collective asses ala Gholston or Maybin.

To the complaints of a few regarding the responses, it's par for the course on the Landing Strip as of late. The tenor of responses by a handful of posters has been pretty shameful, IMO.
    The big difference here is that Coples had a productive and successful rookie season in the position(s) he was used last year. I'm not comfortable with the notion of taking a guy who progressed nicely in his role and having him drop weight in order to modify his role the next season. Especially a 2nd year player who is still in the process of acclimating to the NFL game. Gholston and Maybin were both horrible out of the chute and never developed. Changing them around was done in hopes of finding a role for them that would lead to success.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Yeah obviously... my point is calling coples slow is moronic, for a player his size he has freakish speed
    Maybe he was talking about "football speed" and not sprinter speed?

All Pro
    Rex always played a 4-3 with the Ravans, and now we have the Defensive line guys to play a 4-3. hope that's the way Rex goes most of the time,putting Coples at the L or R DE spot. Last time we had a DE who could run a 4.6 was Gastineau. If we can get a strong pass rush from our front 4, this defense is going to be special.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    The big difference here is that Coples had a productive and successful rookie season in the position(s) he was used last year. I'm not comfortable with the notion of taking a guy who progressed nicely in his role and having him drop weight in order to modify his role the next season. Especially a 2nd year player who is still in the process of acclimating to the NFL game. Gholston and Maybin were both horrible out of the chute and never developed. Changing them around was done in hopes of finding a role for them that would lead to success.
    Re your avatar: I got nothing but love for most things Rangers, but F**K Vic Hadfield. I wonder if he still chuckles when he envisions Schultz pummeling Rolph like it was a back-alley street fight.

Why? Because as feared we have drafted 3 young studs that should all be 3-4 DE's. I was worried they would put richardson in a bad spot but it's coples. As long as the jets tell him to just get the qb from the olb spot I'll be fine with it.

When we drafted him I thought he would be a OLB not a 3-4 DE. I think teaming him up with Pace and easing him into a OLB role is a good idea. Put Pace in on short down and Coples in on passing plays. Coples can be used as an edge blitz guy and gradually learn to read a RB and or TE on short spread plays. If your watching him having trouble picking off the outside run well he had issues with that last year at DE too. At least at OLB he has the S backing him up. Last year guys like Spiller killed him off the line then blew right by Pace. Richardson will at least be better on that 1st block and Pace will be fresher splitting downs. Give him more then a week to learn the position.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    Rex always played a 4-3 with the Ravans, and now we have the Defensive line guys to play a 4-3. hope that's the way Rex goes most of the time,putting Coples at the L or R DE spot. Last time we had a DE who could run a 4.6 was Gastineau. If we can get a strong pass rush from our front 4, this defense is going to be special.
    No he didn't. His defense was like how it is here. He runs a multiple front defense. His base is a 3-4 but he throws a bunch of fronts out there and really it depends on the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    No he didn't. His defense was like how it is here. He runs a multiple front defense. His base is a 3-4 but he throws a bunch of fronts out there and really it depends on the opponent.
    He did play a 4-3 base 1 year in Balt. He ran the same 46 D his father ran.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I was gonna respond this way.
    Lets see....Rex has had top 10 defenses in the NFL and people on this forum question his decisions. OK.
    Ay yes, stats, always what Rex and his cult followers love to speak about

And for all the talking Rex does about HIS defense they seem to never come up big in big moments for the Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    He did play a 4-3 base 1 year in Balt. He ran the same 46 D his father ran.
    He runs a 46 defense here too... He runs a multiple front defense, always has.

Don't worry about Coples. Worry about the poor QBs whose heads he's going to rip off.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    It is amazing that some don't actually get that basic concept.
    Yeah..because God knows. No one can no better than a coach who just went 6 and 10 and got manhandled by the bills and Fins late in the season.

Reality....the OP asked a simple question.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Don't worry about Coples. Worry about the poor QBs whose heads he's going to rip off.

Nah, he's just trying to help relieve some of Henne's neck stiffness.

Good guy Quinton, man.

All League
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Coples line up at 4-3 DE, 4-3 DT, 3-4 DE and 3-4 OLB at times in the season. Rex is never just going to use one look, "3-4 LB'' is just a label for Coples. I remember Rex even used Adalius Thomas at safety at times for the Ravens.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Coples line up at 4-3 DE, 4-3 DT, 3-4 DE and 3-4 OLB at times in the season. Rex is never just going to use one look, "3-4 LB'' is just a label for Coples. I remember Rex even used Adalius Thomas at safety at times for the Ravens.
    +1. People are really over thinking this.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Yeah..because God knows. No one can no better than a coach who just went 6 and 10 and got manhandled by the bills and Fins late in the season.

Reality....the OP asked a simple question.
    Sorry, but between Rex and Dunbar, there's an excellent track record with DL and LBs. It's hard to questions second guess those two when it comes to these things.

Rex liked Coples over Ingram and Wilkerson over Heyward. That's working out pretty damn good.