Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Coples playing OLB?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Sorry, but between Rex and Dunbar, there's an excellent track record with DL and LBs. It's hard to questions second guess those two when it comes to these things.

Rex liked Coples over Ingram and Wilkerson over Heyward. That's working out pretty damn good.
    You are what your record says you are. I am a REX fan BUT he brought this on himself.

Fans like me and many others have a right to be skeptical.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    You are what your record says you are. I am a REX fan BUT he brought this on himself.

Absolutely when I think great defensive minds in football I don't think Rex Ryan or BB I think South Park or Jordy..

Brought what? Rex has had one losing season in 4 years when he lost arguably both his best defensive (Revis) and offensive players (Holmes) and the idiot owner chose to bring the circus to town. The know-nothings in the media who can't even tell you more than 5 people on our roster are predicting we go 0-16 why not just play the season?

The roster is not as bad as the media makes it out to be. Rex is not the worst head coach in history of football the way the media make him out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    My guess is because Rex Ryan knows more about NFL defense than LadaimainIMnotDONE does

Brilliant answer. Time to shut down Jetsinsider.com, lest anyone actually question something the Jets do.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Brilliant answer. Time to shut down Jetsinsider.com, lest anyone actually question something the Jets do.
    JI is fine...best fan site around..lots of terrific Jet fans discussing their team and no more Teblowhards, fewer chowd trolls and even one fewer SOJF like you around

I have a better question: Why not?

We haven't had an effective pass rusher since Tannydumb gave away John Abraham.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I have a better question: Why not?

We haven't had an effective pass rusher since Tannydumb gave away John Abraham.
    Gave away? Would you rather have Nick Mangold or John Abrahm for the last 5 years?

More importantly who would you rather have for the next 5?

That was a great trade that easily worked out in the Jetd favor.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Gave away? Would you rather have Nick Mangold or John Abrahm for the last 5 years?
    Yes. Abe and a decent Center > Mangold and crappy OLBs like Pace, Westerman and Thomas who never sniffed the qb

Yeah because its so hard to find a good Center.

Hall Of Fame

That was a great trade that easily worked out in the Jetd favor.
    Pro Bowl pass rusher > Pro Bowl center.

All things considered we did OK in that trade but we did not win the trade. Just like we will not win the Revis trade. But sometimes trades have to be made and you have to try to get the best deal possible and make the most of it.

Sorry, but between Rex and Dunbar, there's an excellent track record with DL and LBs. It's hard to questions second guess those two when it comes to these things.

Rex liked Coples over Ingram and Wilkerson over Heyward. That's working out pretty damn good.
    LOL I just remembered this Steelers fan telling me how Wilkerson is a boom or bust guy and was going to bust while Heyward was a much better player.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    LOL I just remembered this Steelers fan telling me how Wilkerson is a boom or bust guy and was going to bust while Heyward was a much better player.
    Heyward was a MUCH safer, more logical pick. Played in a big time conference, very good athleticism and size, and the son of Ironhead Heyward. Rex has the great ability to select and develop DL.

About his track record with DL? Tell me which DL moves he's made that haven't been good. The guy makes UDFA into starters, and first rounders look like all pros.

We know Wilkerson and Coples can play. Ellis, when healthy, has shown he can play. And Richardson? I'd say he's got a good chance of being DPOY. Big-time talent who has the right coaches.

All League
    About his track record with DL? Tell me which DL moves he's made that haven't been good. The guy makes UDFA into starters, and first rounders look like all pros.

We know Wilkerson and Coples can play. Ellis, when healthy, has shown he can play. And Richardson? I'd say he's got a good chance of being DPOY. Big-time talent who has the right coaches.
    ================================================== ======

+1

And lets not forget Rex does great coaching DB's, and this Millner kid is suppose to be quite the prospect.

That's 2 chances at DROY. I mean who knows, but that's quite a feather on any ones hat, if one of them actually earns it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    +1. People are really over thinking this.
    This.

I'm more concerned with the offense.

Jets Insider VIP

Fair points............ I am simply saying we have a right to question him.

I dont in fact on the D-side of the ball. I was defending the OP's right.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I have a right to go down to the local strip bar and blow what's in my wife & my checking account on lap dances & booze as well.

... Probably not the best idea though

Think, Adalius Thomas, before he went to NE and Belichick ruined his career.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    I have a right to go down to the local strip bar and blow what's in my wife & my checking account on lap dances & booze as well.

... Probably not the best idea though
    Yes I see the correlation.

Coples is 6 feet, 6 inches tall and weighs 290 pounds, and he is athletic. Let that sink in a minute because no matter where you put him, he would appear to be "miscast". This is because he is a one of a kind player. It is rare for a DE to even be over 270 lbs. This is one of the reasons Wilkerson who is 300+ and athletic is one of the best. The average NFL DE is 6'4", 250 lbs. As to OLB, think about it... Demarcus Ware is a beast and he is 6'4 260 lbs. Calvin Pace always looked like a pretty bid dude compared to other DE and OLB and he is 6'4" 265 lbs. Someone mentioned Adelius Thomas. He was 6'2" 270 lbs.

No one can say Coples is out of place in any position because the fact is there is no one quite like him. When you have a player that breaks the mold, you need to throw out your typical thinking and do whatever you can to maximize his skill set. When you've got a beast like Coples that means giving him the freedom to move around and turn the fact that he is a given mis-match for any blocker into a scenario that tips the field by forcing the offense to have to account for the fact that he may be anywhere on any given play.

I am very excited about the D this season. With Rex fully engaged on D and with the athleticism the Jets have in the front 7, quite a few QB's are going to have a miserable time playing against the Jets this fall.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Fair points............ I am simply saying we have a right to question him.

I dont in fact on the D-side of the ball. I was defending the OP's right.
    I have a right to question the way Brady,Manning,Bree's or Rogers play their position as well.. But I would call myself a idiot if I did.. A better way to state your position would be as a fan I like to see a pure 4-3 rather then moving the 4th guy off the line at times.. Unless of course you have the Pro Coaching credentials like Rex then have at it..