Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Why is Coples playing OLB?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    JI is fine...best fan site around..lots of terrific Jet fans discussing their team and no more Teblowhards, fewer chowd trolls and even one fewer SOJF like you around
    S...O...J....

F?

See you after the weekend; I am tired of your needling.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    S...O...J....

F?

See you after the weekend; I am tired of your needling.
    Note to self: Dont mess with the WestCO when hes modding the daytime shift.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Fair points............ I am simply saying we have a right to question him.

I dont in fact on the D-side of the ball. I was defending the OP's right.
    The OP can question all he wants. But Rex is a master in this area. No way, no how he doesn't put Q in a position to succeed.

He had a second year player from Temple looking like an All Pro by the end of his second season.
    Last edited by detectivekimble; 08-01-2013 at 08:04 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    First off when you support the team ... buy merch, tickets, & order NFL packages in support of your team you have a right to question anything.

Now I wasn't questioning Rex's moves at DL ... he's moving Coples to OLB. Our weakness HAS been linebackers and mainly in coverage. I questioned Rex for this for 3 years cause TE's were the one thing we had trouble defending when Rex was here. A lot of people said it was Eric Smith's fault which holds true as well but Rex stuck with this guy in coverage when he worked best as a rover or extra hybrid linebacker against pass heavy teams. Think the Colts game we won in the playoff's. He was the 4th linebacker a bunch of plays as well as in NE as well. I questioned Rex for 3 years on how we defending backs and TE's and that was something that always bit us especially on 2 min drives. Now me questioning if Coples can succeed as a pass rusher is one thing but my main thing is why waste a ROOKIE who LED a poor front line pass rush in sacks last year in coverage? He looked decent in 3 games last year that when I watched felt no different than a pre season game. In fact Ravens vs Steelers in a pre season game would have more intensity than these games.

Our main weakness the past couple of years on defense was PASS RUSH & linebackers in coverage. We're putting our BEST pass rusher in coverage when playing coverage is probably the last thing anyone puts as a strength on his scouting report. How is this something above questioning? I think this is extremely valid .. I know a lot of people say he will be mainly in pass rush situations and I get that but he has a lot of responsibilities in coverage at the OLB position. Anyone who doesn't think teams won't figure out a bit on what those are from time to time and try to exploit that is kidding themselves. Also we drafted Coples as a DE, he played DE and exceled at DE, was developing as a DE. Next year in the draft we draft ANOTHER DE, work on developing him and MOVE the DE we drafted in the 1st round the year prior to another position. This just seems forced to me ... sorry. Maybe 3 months from now this thread is being brought back up and I look foolish (which I hope) or maybe its brought back up like "this was why I was asking this" ...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    We're putting our BEST pass rusher in coverage when playing coverage is probably the last thing anyone puts as a strength on his scouting report. How is this something above questioning?
    because we're not putting him in coverage.

the whole point is to make the offense adjust to your defense. the offense has to adjust to Coples coming full-steam from the outside, creating favorable matchups for Wilkerson and Richardson on the inside. and vice-versa.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post

the whole point is to make the offense adjust to your defense. the offense has to adjust to Coples coming full-steam from the outside, creating favorable matchups for Wilkerson and Richardson on the inside. and vice-versa.
    I love these idiots who are like "Coples can't play OLB he can't cover nobody":

On obvious passing downs our defense is either 4-2-5 or 4-1-6 alignment. Rex loves using the 4-1-6 because DB's are obviously faster and smaller than LB's and easier to hide for a blitz. Coples would be in the front 4 at the edge on these alignments not dropping back into coverage. Even when Coples would have to cover someone how could he be worse than Calvin Pace or Eric Smith?
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 08-01-2013 at 11:10 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post

I understand the favorable matchups and I understand that portion but where are you getting your info from that he won't be in coverage? Rex and DT in interviews have said Coples will have to play coverage depending on the situation. He's going to be primarily a pass rusher but Rex doesn't like to let the offense know which OLB is rushing when he runs 4 rush base sets thats well known with his system. Coples is after all standing up now. What's the point in standing him up if he's going to pass rush on every play? This move would serve even less purpose than I thought if that was the case. If thats the case just line him up in base or jet mode and let him go.
    Last edited by LadainianIMnotDONE; 08-02-2013 at 02:22 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post

On obvious passing downs our defense is either 4-2-5 or 4-1-6 alignment. Rex loves using the 4-1-6 because DB's are obviously faster and smaller than LB's and easier to hide for a blitz. Coples would be in the front 4 at the edge on these alignments not dropping back into coverage. Even when Coples would have to cover someone how could he be worse than Calvin Pace or Eric Smith?
    you're calling Rex an idiot he's the one that said Coples will be in coverage. I wouldn't bet that Coples could cover 60% as well as Smith and you won't find many if any who hates Eric Smith as a player as much as I do. You're not the first person to call people idiots and not say the brightest things yourself. Good luck with that ...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post

Playing devil's advocate, what if it's 1st or 2nd down, or not otherwise an obvious passing situation? Coples is out there lined up in a 3-4 alignment. And the offense decides to run a play action designed to flood his side with receivers. Then what?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    you're calling Rex an idiot he's the one that said Coples will be in coverage. I wouldn't bet that Coples could cover 60% as well as Smith and you won't find many if any who hates Eric Smith as a player as much as I do. You're not the first person to call people idiots and not say the brightest things yourself. Good luck with that ...
    You ever think maybe he's just using it as gamesmanship? Sure attack the flat, coples is in zone there because he's the "OLB"...or is it the safety lining up in the box behind him. How often do you see Suggs in coverage? He's an OLB....You're not going to see Coples on a tight end in man coverage ever...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Playing devil's advocate, what if it's 1st or 2nd down, or not otherwise an obvious passing situation? Coples is out there lined up in a 3-4 alignment. And the offense decides to run a play action designed to flood his side with receivers. Then what?

In your scenario, is Coples the last line of defense, or can we assume there are DBs on the field?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    In your scenario, is Coples the last line of defense, or can we assume there are DBs on the field?
    Jordy isn't really the devil's advocate he's the Devil..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    You ever think maybe he's just using it as gamesmanship? Sure attack the flat, coples is in zone there because he's the "OLB"...or is it the safety lining up in the box behind him. How often do you see Suggs in coverage? He's an OLB....You're not going to see Coples on a tight end in man coverage ever...
    This. Coples will be in coverage about as often as Suggs, LT, Derrick Coleman, and Chris Doleman. Plus, there is no need to cover anybody if the QB is on his arse.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    lol

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    This. Coples will be in coverage about as often as Suggs, LT, Derrick Coleman, and Chris Doleman. Plus, there is no need to cover anybody if the QB is on his arse.
    What I love is the idea that only Coples in coverage, on a back is an issue. An O is always trying to get a back in single coverage with a LB. Because thats a really favorable matchup, no matter who the LB is. No LB wins that matchup.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Aside from your apparent view that Coples will be forced to cover every receiver all by himself, you also fail to account for the fact that Coples is 6'6" tall and each of his arms are almost 3 feet long. Just by standing in the flat Coples would be covering a fairly large area not to mention that he would be difficult to throw over.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aside from your apparent view that Coples will be forced to cover every receiver all by himself, you also fail to account for the fact that Coples is 6'6" tall and each of his arms are almost 3 feet long. Just by standing in the flat Coples would be covering a fairly large area not to mention that he would be difficult to throw over.
    or by continuing to push the pocket from wherever he's coming from. didn't he create a pick last year from a deflection?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah if you thought aaron maybin was the answer at OLB why wouldn't you think coples could play the position?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Yeah if you thought aaron maybin was the answer at OLB why wouldn't you think coples could play the position?
    maybin. lol

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not viewing it that way. I'm envisioning offenses simply taking advantage of a player who may be a bit outside his "comfort zone" and his obvious strength, which is causing havoc at the LOS and getting to QB's.

Right now, it's all speculation since none of us have actually seen first hand how he is being used. I'll have more thoughts on it after a few games. I just don't want this kid's confidence to take any hits, especially after an impressive rookie season where he seemed to fit in quite nicely in his previous role.