Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Why is Coples playing OLB?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Yeah if you thought aaron maybin was the answer at OLB why wouldn't you think coples could play the position?
    Whoever said Aaron Maybin was the answer at OLB?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Whoever said Aaron Maybin was the answer at OLB?
    Dang you threw away your "mayhem" jersey already? LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dang you threw away your "mayhem" jersey already? LOL
    Never said anything about Maybin being the answer at OLB. Ever.

I liked Maybin as a pure pass rusher. As many here did. He had early success and then failed miserably.

If you're going to make a snarky comment covertly through someone else's post, at least be factual.

Let's move on. Okay?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not viewing it that way. I'm envisioning offenses simply taking advantage of a player who may be a bit outside his "comfort zone" and his obvious strength, which is causing havoc at the LOS and getting to QB's.

Right now, it's all speculation since none of us have actually seen first hand how he is being used. I'll have more thoughts on it after a few games. I just don't want this kid's confidence to take any hits, especially after an impressive rookie season where he seemed to fit in quite nicely in his previous role.
    Again, all O's try to get a receiver in a 1 on 1 matchup with a LB. No matter who the LB, not just the ones that we've never seen get beat in coverage.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never said anything about Maybin being the answer at OLB. Ever.

I liked Maybin as a pure pass rusher. As many here did. He had early success and then failed miserably.

If you're going to make a snarky comment covertly through someone else's post, at least be factual.

Let's move on. Okay?
    My point is if you want pass rush from the OLB position you should be excited to see coples. Is coples the prototypical 3-4 OLB? No but his primary objective as 'rush LB' is to kill the QB. A good pass rush should negate any potential liabilities in coverage anyway

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My point is if you want pass rush from the OLB position you should be excited to see coples. Is coples the prototypical 3-4 OLB? No but his primary objective as 'rush LB' is to kill the QB. A good pass rush should negate any potential liabilities in coverage anyway
    I agree with that...but I don't think that was your original point.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah if you thought aaron maybin was the answer at OLB why wouldn't you think coples could play the position?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd prefer it if he was a prototypical pass rushing DE.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with that...but I don't think that was your original point.
    Well I wanted to bust your balls too but there was a point there too

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I wanted to bust your balls too but there was a point there too
    Fair enough amigo

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I'd prefer it if he was a prototypical pass rushing DE.
    at 6'6" 290 lbs. he is not a prototypical anything.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Playing devil's advocate, what if it's 1st or 2nd down, or not otherwise an obvious passing situation? Coples is out there lined up in a 3-4 alignment. And the offense decides to run a play action designed to flood his side with receivers. Then what?

Then Coples won't be worse than scrubs like Calvin Pace or Eric Smith. Typical Jets fans outguessing a good move by the organization. We have not had 1 pass rusher since 2005 yet all you people are worried about is what might happen if Coples might have to cover a RB once every 40 plays.

The Giants DB's and LB's can't cover a bilateral amputee yet they have 2 Super Bowl trophies last 5 years because of one thing on the defense: PASS RUSH
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 08-03-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Playing devil's advocate, what if it's 1st or 2nd down, or not otherwise an obvious passing situation? Coples is out there lined up in a 3-4 alignment. And the offense decides to run a play action designed to flood his side with receivers. Then what?
    No need to be a devil's advocate. This is a legit concern. I am sure there will be times where the offense will try to exploit this. We have seen teams do it to Bart Scott and Calvin Pace. The offense audibles and our defensive assignments change and sometimes that will force Coples into coverage.

We will see how this all plays out. I like the idea of moving players around to create mismatches but IMO there is no bigger mismatch than forcing a Guard to block him on a passing down.

But since Rex being a good defensive coach equates to never being able to question him on JI we are stupid for being concerned.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    I don't see Peppers, Williams, or Ware with Coples. I have high hopes for Coples but I see him more of a Trevor Pryce which isn't bad at all. Those guys are a bit more explosive as edge rushers while Pryce created havoc more inside ... If Coples ends up being anything like Will, Pep, or Ware at their best ... we're in serious business. I'd forgive Rex for a lot if he's right about this ... lets just hope.
    The better question to ask yourself might be something like.... When has Rex ever given you reason to doubt him, especially when it comes to defense? Hmmm?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about the last say...6 games of 2011 when we couldn't stop a nose bleed and even Tebow walked through us?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    How about the last say...6 games of 2011 when we couldn't stop a nose bleed and even Tebow walked through us?
    Or constantly putting Bart Scott and Eric Smith in situations where they are in man coverage. This happened for YEARS, not games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Or constantly putting Bart Scott and Eric Smith in situations where they are in man coverage. This happened for YEARS, not games.
    Yep.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Then Coples won't be worse than scrubs like Calvin Pace or Eric Smith. Typical Jets fans outguessing a good move by the organization. We have not had 1 pass rusher since 2005 yet all you people are worried about is what might happen if Coples might have to cover a RB once every 40 plays.

The Giants DB's and LB's can't cover a bilateral amputee yet they have 2 Super Bowl trophies last 5 years because of one thing on the defense: PASS RUSH
    Funny you mention the Giants. You realize that you just made an argument for a base 4-3 defense right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny you mention the Giants. You realize that you just made an argument for a base 4-3 defense right?
    And ... so what? I'm more concerned about us getting an effective pass rush than whether or not Coples can be as good as the immortal Calvin Pace at covering fullbacks 1-2 times per game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know thats kind of the point of a message board, but its pretty funny that there are now 6 pages of (at least partially) second guessing a guy who if he knows anything, knows defensive X's and O's and defensive players. Personally if Rex decided that Wilkerson should play safety, i would be onboard until he is proven wrong.