Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Why is Coples playing OLB?

because we're playing a 3-4
    because he cant beat out big mo or sheldon
    because he cant play DT unless its like 3rd and 20 and that rarely happens
    because we dont want him on the bench, they want him to be a starter

such a mind boggling question to ask. why isnt cromartie playing WR or QB, start another thread...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    No need to be a devil's advocate. This is a legit concern. I am sure there will be times where the offense will try to exploit this. We have seen teams do it to Bart Scott and Calvin Pace. The offense audibles and our defensive assignments change and sometimes that will force Coples into coverage.

We will see how this all plays out. I like the idea of moving players around to create mismatches but IMO there is no bigger mismatch than forcing a Guard to block him on a passing down.

But since Rex being a good defensive coach equates to never being able to question him on JI we are stupid for being concerned.
    As just a fan I want to see how it works out and of course you can question moves but some of you post like you're not just on Rex's level as a defensive mind but far superior..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    As just a fan I want to see how it works out and of course you can question moves but some of you post like you're not just on Rex's level as a defensive mind but far superior..
    Bingo!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Or constantly putting Bart Scott and Eric Smith in situations where they are in man coverage. This happened for YEARS, not games.
    Because they play against a bunch of HS teams, who don't actually try to get these matchups. The Jets put themselves into these situations. Rex sits around and asks, how can we get Eric Smith into man situations. Nothing like never crediting an opponent, never blaming players for poor execution and always blaming your team instead.

I'll take all the good matchups that the Jets have created and not whine about the times that things don't work out the way we want.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 08-04-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Bingo!!!
    I would say that is an overreaction on your part but you are free to interpret posts as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Because they play against a bunch of HS teams, who don't actually try to get these matchups. The Jets put themselves into these situations. Rex sits around and asks, how can we get Eric Smith into man situations. Nothing like never crediting an opponent, never blaming players for poor execution and always blaming your team instead.

I'll take all the good matchups that the Jets have created and not whine about the times that things don't work out the way we want.
    Like I said, it has been going on for years. Sooner or later I don't think it is unfair to expect an adjustment or improvement. How long does it take to understand that your personnel might not be able to play a certain scheme you want? When do you start coaching to their strengths and not put them in position to fail? Eric Smith had a knee injury and he was still forced to cover guys in man coverage.

Outside of Revis I am not sure how many other good matchups the Jets (Rex) have created. Unless you are referring to the blitz schemes that the league caught up to midway through 2009.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I would say that is an overreaction on your part but you are free to interpret posts as you see fit.

Like I said, it has been going on for years. Sooner or later I don't think it is unfair to expect an adjustment or improvement. How long does it take to understand that your personnel might not be able to play a certain scheme you want? When do you start coaching to their strengths and not put them in position to fail? Eric Smith had a knee injury and he was still forced to cover guys in man coverage.

Outside of Revis I am not sure how many other good matchups the Jets (Rex) have created. Unless you are referring to the blitz schemes that the league caught up to midway through 2009.
    You're right, Rex has created only a handful of good matchups. All the bad matchups are his fault, not the good play of an opponent or a blown assignment. Couldn't happen because you know every assignment, know that players executed and the plays that didn't work didn't work due to poor coaching. The Jets lucked out into high rankings as a unit. And like you, we can all see that Rex has never made an adjustment over the years. He isn't as smart as you, doesn't realize that some can't be in single coverage. You actually believe this shi1t that you write? Really?

As Savage accurately pointed out: some of you post like you're not just on Rex's level as a defensive mind but far superior.

Bottom line is Rex is a great defensive mind and puts his players in good positions most of the time......However, he is not perfect and has too much player loyalty at times

The Eric Smith debacle was complete BS for Jets fans and the team to have to deal with.....And it wasn't just one season. How can a great D coach like Rex constantly watch this guy get shredded by literally anyone he tried to cover and not do anything about it?

As for Coples, Rex switches his fronts around so much I won't even get caught in the OLB or DE debate.....Coples and the rest of the D-line will be awesome, no doubt about it