Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 127

Thread: Why is Coples playing OLB?

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,552
    Post Thanks / Like

    Why is Coples playing OLB?

    I thought the idea of drafting this kid was to have 2 HUGE above average DE's and cause havoc up front so blitzing would be easier and we can get pressure easier with just a base defense & no extra man. Why in the world is Coples playing OLB? He's way too big for that IMO and not fast enough. I thought he would switch back and forth from DT to DE depending on the situation. He looked really good last year at certain times and seemed to be figuring things out. Why switch him in year 2 when he was just figuring it out in year 1? I'm trying to follow this as much as I can from reading articles and etc but what am I missing?

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    15,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    DL is getting crowded, and no he's not so HUGE. That and you'll still see him at DE.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    From what I hear, he's not a pure OLB. Rex is moving him all over.

    I had heard the he'd be on the end or inside in a 4-3, and at OLB in a 3-4 while mainly pinning his ears back and rushing. Doubt we see him in much of a coverage role.

  4. #4
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,175
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    From what I hear, he's not a pure OLB. Rex is moving him all over.

    I had heard the he'd be on the end or inside in a 4-3, and at OLB in a 3-4 while mainly pinning his ears back and rushing. Doubt we see him in much of a coverage role.
    Agree 100%

    Belichick and Brady agree as well.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,111
    Post Thanks / Like
    because that's where rex wants him to play

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    I thought the idea of drafting this kid was to have 2 HUGE above average DE's and cause havoc up front so blitzing would be easier and we can get pressure easier with just a base defense & no extra man. Why in the world is Coples playing OLB? He's way too big for that IMO and not fast enough. I thought he would switch back and forth from DT to DE depending on the situation. He looked really good last year at certain times and seemed to be figuring things out. Why switch him in year 2 when he was just figuring it out in year 1? I'm trying to follow this as much as I can from reading articles and etc but what am I missing?
    My guess is because Rex Ryan knows more about NFL defense than LadaimainIMnotDONE does

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,741
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    My guess is because Rex Ryan knows more about NFL defense than LadaimainIMnotDONE does
    It is amazing that some don't actually get that basic concept.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    It is amazing that some don't actually get that basic concept.
    After all message boards are for bashing people with questions or opinions ...

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,741
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    After all message boards are for bashing people with questions or opinions ...
    Where did I bash anyone?
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 07-31-2013 at 06:37 AM.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,525
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    From what I hear, he's not a pure OLB. Rex is moving him all over.

    I had heard the he'd be on the end or inside in a 4-3, and at OLB in a 3-4 while mainly pinning his ears back and rushing. Doubt we see him in much of a coverage role.
    I agree. I hope to never see him drop back.

    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    My guess is because Rex Ryan knows more about NFL defense than LadaimainIMnotDONE does
    I love when this argument is made b.c if we all adhered to this there would never be any discussion about anything.

    Of course Rex knows more football than anyone here. But that doesn't mean that he can't be wrong about something.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    After all message boards are for bashing people with questions or opinions ...
    He said he was doing research, and couldn't come up with an answer. Coples is 280. Hardly huge. He has ten pounds on Pace, or Thomas.

    This is all out there to find easily on the interwebs, but you may recall when Rex first came here people saying Baltimore played a 4-3 defense. That's because Suggs played DE, and stood, or knelt at the snap at his discretion. He normally knelt so the 4-3 designation(There will be arguments from Coples agent whether he's a DE, or a LB. The same as Suggs had.). Well Pace had that option too. He chose to stand most of the time so we had a 3-4. If Coples puts his hand down we'll be a 4-3 defense. The rest of the defense remains the same however, which was the case with the Ravens as well. We're just moving Coples to the edge rush position, and Sheldon will play inside, but everyone on the line can play every technique now. It will be chaos. BTW he play 27 snaps at standing at rush LB over the last three games last year so you have film to watch so that you don't have to have an "opinion" about whether he's too big to do it. There are also breakdowns on the amount of snaps he lined up on the outside shoulder of the Tackle, and how well he did.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    My guess is because Rex Ryan knows more about NFL defense than LadaimainIMnotDONE does
    I was gonna respond this way.
    Lets see....Rex has had top 10 defenses in the NFL and people on this forum question his decisions. OK.

  13. #13
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know I'm new here and will get bashed by some...probably the same people who did the bashing.

    Ladainian asked a simple question and it took a number of smart ass postings to get to an intelligent answer from NY Stepchild. Whether Stepchild was correct or not, it was a well thought answer to a real question.

    Sometimes, I think I'm reading answers from interns for the Comedy Channel.

    After reading the post and not being an x's and o's guy, I was wondering myself about Coples and I did get an answer and learned something.

    Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy the banter sometimes, but it was refreshing to get an answer. Out of about 8 posts, you get 2 serious postings, gets to be too much at times.

    Same thing for the college kid who provided HIS insight into a day at camp, a number of posters went on to kill him because he perceived a practice session differently than people who weren't even there.
    Gotta give a kid a break...He's not a professional sports writer, he's a kid who went to a practice with his father, bull****ted half the day, no notes, just going from memory. Maybe one play stood out and that's what he remembered.

    I'm sure the kid spent a good 45 minutes at the computer typing away.

    Why even post then if you're getting to get your stones busted.

    Enough of my early morning rant. Now I'm guilty of what I ranted about.

    Enjoy your day.

    Dwayne

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Westchester NY
    Posts
    1,052
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is way too slow to play LB... IDK that Rex knows football better than me...
    Rex, who's still playing slow Pace & Harris...

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,552
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He said he was doing research, and couldn't come up with an answer. Coples is 280. Hardly huge. He has ten pounds on Pace, or Thomas.

    This is all out there to find easily on the interwebs, but you may recall when Rex first came here people saying Baltimore played a 4-3 defense. That's because Suggs played DE, and stood, or knelt at the snap at his discretion. He normally knelt so the 4-3 designation(There will be arguments from Coples agent whether he's a DE, or a LB. The same as Suggs had.). Well Pace had that option too. He chose to stand most of the time so we had a 3-4. If Coples puts his hand down we'll be a 4-3 defense. The rest of the defense remains the same however, which was the case with the Ravens as well. We're just moving Coples to the edge rush position, and Sheldon will play inside, but everyone on the line can play every technique now. It will be chaos. BTW he play 27 snaps at standing at rush LB over the last three games last year so you have film to watch so that you don't have to have an "opinion" about whether he's too big to do it. There are also breakdowns on the amount of snaps he lined up on the outside shoulder of the Tackle, and how well he did.
    Thanks for this response. With what you're saying here and some of my friends who have watched camp it seems like Rex is going to be moving Coples around like Carolina did Peppers earlier on in his career. I actually like that idea ... My biggest fear is that he looked strong last year at times in the interior and was getting push inside. I don't see why Rex is making him slim down and changing his approach and standing him up for the first time in a mighty long time for him. I get it but I hope it works out. Also I watched an interview where Rex said he'll have coverage duties depending on what the offense is doing. (interested in seeing how this works out) ...

    Also Rex said the first couple of days in camp Coples was more thinking out there rather than playing due to all the new assignments. If that is happening in the first couple of days in training camp (I know its early) its still not a good omen. This kid is more worried about not being in the wrong spot than he is about making a play. That's a terrible sign even this early in camp. I know you said he was standing up 27 plays or whatever but obviously based on Rex's statements this early as well as DT's ... he's not 100% comfortable. You seem like u know the game which is cool ... I'm sure you understand my stance with wanting a young player like that to just play and let his talent shine as much as possible. Hopefully there's a method to the madness. Can't blame a fan for 2nd guessing Rex even on defense. Our biggest weakness's defensively have been pass rushing and linebackers in coverage. I'm not sure how putting our leading sack guy last year who was a rookie and having him change positions and drop back in coverage makes the most sense. This kid was truly developing into a possible monster at DE. He showed flashes last year that he can be better than Mo ... Rex is so weird
    Last edited by LadainianIMnotDONE; 07-31-2013 at 07:44 AM.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by junker68 View Post
    I know I'm new here and will get bashed by some...probably the same people who did the bashing.

    Ladainian asked a simple question and it took a number of smart ass postings to get to an intelligent answer from NY Stepchild. Whether Stepchild was correct or not, it was a well thought answer to a real question.

    Sometimes, I think I'm reading answers from interns for the Comedy Channel.

    After reading the post and not being an x's and o's guy, I was wondering myself about Coples and I did get an answer and learned something.

    Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy the banter sometimes, but it was refreshing to get an answer. Out of about 8 posts, you get 2 serious postings, gets to be too much at times.

    Same thing for the college kid who provided HIS insight into a day at camp, a number of posters went on to kill him because he perceived a practice session differently than people who weren't even there.
    Gotta give a kid a break...He's not a professional sports writer, he's a kid who went to a practice with his father, bull****ted half the day, no notes, just going from memory. Maybe one play stood out and that's what he remembered.

    I'm sure the kid spent a good 45 minutes at the computer typing away.

    Why even post then if you're getting to get your stones busted.

    Enough of my early morning rant. Now I'm guilty of what I ranted about.

    Enjoy your day.

    Dwayne
    I think the reason K-ro got grief, was because he used adjectives to describe players, such as Garbage, and sucks to describe how players did. Even though no one pointed that out, while I was reading I found my opinion of him changed after reading that. I think maybe subconsciously, so did everyone else. Have to avoid words like that. Just describe what you saw, and leave the conclusions to the readers.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,596
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I think the reason K-ro got grief, was because he used adjectives to describe players, such as Garbage, and sucks to describe how players did. Even though no one pointed that out, while I was reading I found my opinion of him changed after reading that. I think maybe subconsciously, so did everyone else. Have to avoid words like that. Just describe what you saw, and leave the conclusions to the readers.
    Maybe so Stepchild but I that does not really explain the lack of courtesy of even insight offered up by most of the posters who were bashing him in that thread.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same general questions when this move was announced. I had felt that Coples was a bit too big at 290 to be effective in this role. I was told that he is apparently right out of central casting as an edge rusher ala Mario Williams and Julius Peppers. Hopefully this belief is correct and Coples is productive in this role and it isn't another case of Rex blowing smoke up our collective asses ala Gholston or Maybin.

    To the complaints of a few regarding the responses, it's par for the course on the Landing Strip as of late. The tenor of responses by a handful of posters has been pretty shameful, IMO.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,552
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by junker68 View Post
    Sometimes, I think I'm reading answers from interns for the Comedy Channel.
    Don't insult those interns. Since you're new here you gotta get used to the "too cool for school" guys. Understand this is a who can piss father contest as much as it is a football forum. (unforuntately) Just ignore it ... talk football and keep it moving. My favorite part is when guys post GIF's as a response to get their inner Fonz on. Everyone here is Bill Walsh, Lombardi, & The Harbaugh Brothers combined. Careful debating with these guys. I got trashed for killing the Sparano hire, creating a post about Pace & Greene being overrated, saying I wanted James Jones over Burress, oh and here's my favorite ... ur gonna love this ... I got called things like "idiot" and "moron" for saying I was GLAD we ended up with Cro over Aso lol. Can't make this up bro. Good luck here .. they know it all!

  20. #20
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I think the reason K-ro got grief, was because he used adjectives to describe players, such as Garbage, and sucks to describe how players did. Even though no one pointed that out, while I was reading I found my opinion of him changed after reading that. I think maybe subconsciously, so did everyone else. Have to avoid words like that. Just describe what you saw, and leave the conclusions to the readers.
    That's fair...but then possibly the criticism should have been aimed at exactly what you described as the strong adjectives instead of bashing. Then at least it's a learning experience and the kid sees his way. The next day he provides a report that is more of an objective report. If I'm getting killed like that, I'm not posting and screw the report. I believe, the kid had good intentions when he sat down and wrote his observations.

    Maybe I'm nitpicking now and I'm suggesting how people write, but sometimes the posts go overboard, but I definitely see your point and agree 100 percent.

    Dwayne

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us