Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we do two a day practices anymore?

Do we do two a day practices anymore?

I've read the camp reports and it seems that there have only been 1 practice per day.

Have we done any two a days?

All League
    There are no more two-a-days, the new CBA eliminated them. They have
    one practice and a "walk through"

No two-a-days and less tackling has caused a lot of these injuries we are starting to see. Their bodies may be less sore in season, but are no longer conditioned to handle it when they do get hit or tackled.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    No two-a-days and less tackling has caused a lot of these injuries we are starting to see. Their bodies may be less sore in season, but are no longer conditioned to handle it when they do get hit or tackled.
    I would like to see statistical evidence of that. There are more injuries today because players are monitored much more closely

+1

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I would like to see statistical evidence of that. There are more injuries today because players are monitored much more closely
    I would like to see statistical evidence of that. There are no more injuries today than there ever have been.

Does anyone know if the CBA prohibits "voluntary" contact practices? It seems like every team has "voluntary" offseason workout sessions where almost every team has 100% attendance. I feel like if they had "voluntary" contact practices the team would get a pretty high attendance. UDFAs, late round draft picks, and special teams guys from last season would all attend because they are fighting for jobs. Anyone know?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You have absolutely no proof of this, other than you want to believe its true.

I'd love to know which injuries you're talking about that you see more of, I don't buy it.

There is no way you are going to convince me that getting hit, often and twice a day makes you less susceptible to injuries. It just doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Does anyone know if the CBA prohibits "voluntary" contact practices? It seems like every team has "voluntary" offseason workout sessions where almost every team has 100% attendance. I feel like if they had "voluntary" contact practices the team would get a pretty high attendance. UDFAs, late round draft picks, and special teams guys from last season would all attend because they are fighting for jobs. Anyone know?
    Yes it also excludes "voluntary" contact practices. I think it even excludes extra positional work with coaches on a voluntary basis but the players can work by themselves in a non contact environment as much as they want. NFL should not have agreed to these rules, but they had to give in on something, and protect their image of being concerned about injuries

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Voluntary full contact practices in the off season? You do realize that the vast majority of players do not get paid after February and many are not even under contract. Would YOU voluntarily attend full contact work outs for free or with out the protection of a contract?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Voluntary full contact practices in the off season? You do realize that the vast majority of players do not get paid after February and many are not even under contract. Would YOU voluntarily attend full contact work outs for free or with out the protection of a contract?

Unless they changed something players get checks for the weeks there are games, 20 checks.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Yes it also excludes "voluntary" contact practices. I think it even excludes extra positional work with coaches on a voluntary basis but the players can work by themselves in a non contact environment as much as they want. NFL should not have agreed to these rules, but they had to give in on something, and protect their image of being concerned about injuries
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I wasn't talking off season, I mean now during training camp. Johnny gave me the answer I was looking for. And yes, if I was an UDFA, I would be at any and every team activity that gave me the opportunity to show something to the coaching staff.
    Last edited by BX Jet Fan; 07-31-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Unless they changed something players get checks for the weeks there are games, 20 checks.
    Yea, I used February because playoff teams still get paid their playoff bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    A lot of players have workout bonuses for showing up in the off season.

For instance that 49ers cornerback that recently lost 2 million because he forgot to show up to certain off-season events such as mini camps and conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Our Vee View Post
    I would like to see statistical evidence of that. There are no more injuries today than there ever have been.
    I'd like to see statistical evidence of that. There are no injuries.

Banned
    Let's see... Roger Vick?

Not sure if injuries are up or down. But the practice of body hardening does work. but only has beneficial value in the short term.
    That said I think field conditions would have a bigger role in injuries.
    Last edited by SgtAshton; 07-31-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMadman View Post
    A lot of players have workout bonuses for showing up in the off season.

For instance that 49ers cornerback that recently lost 2 million because he forgot to show up to certain off-season events such as mini camps and conditioning.
    Pretty sure that money still goes out during game weeks. Might be wrong though.

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't know if there are statistically more but anecdotally it certainly seems to be the case. But what is striking is that tackling during games seems to be disappearing. That has to have something to do with being able to practice it.