Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New and Notes - Training Camp 07/31

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Personally, I don't think Rex will get his way or have much say, despite the public proclamation that it will be a "collaborative" decision. I believe Idzik can't wait to hire his own HC and he's not about to let Rex in any way dictate his (Idzik's) fate by going with "Rex's QB." If Sanchez legitimately beats out Smith and Idzik believes Sanchez is the way to go at the start of the season, then so be it. But I think, bottom line, it will be Idzik's decision, with help from Rod Graves.
    Can't say I agree with the idea of a GM dictating the result of a QB competition, but if it's even close, you have to go with Geno and I definitely won't be upset if Idzik forces Rex's hand.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree. We should take a QB every year until we find one. Even if Geno plays well this year I think we should take one later in the draft just to have MM develop him (assuming Marty is here in 2014). If he stinks it up I think we should take one higher.

Rinse and repeat until we find a QB.
    Yup....lets start our rookie 2nd rounder a year too soon only to tank the season, lose the best coach we've had around here in awhile, just to draft #1 overall next year

It's difficult for to understand the rocket scientists around here

All League
    Let's all remember, 2 time SB MVP Eli Manning had more disgusting moments in his first 3 years than good ones. If it were up to Giant fans, he would've never started another game after the Carolina playoff disaster. Be careful with disposable QB theories

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Yup....lets start our rookie 2nd rounder a year too soon only to tank the season, lose the best coach we've had around here in awhile, just to draft #1 overall next year

So what happens when Geno outplays Mark this pre season? Do you still want to sit him no matter what?

Only reason not to play Geno is the lack of skilled receivers he will have to throw to. Don't want him to get to discouraged to early in his career.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Let's all remember, 2 time SB MVP Eli Manning had more disgusting moments in his first 3 years than good ones. If it were up to Giant fans, he would've never started another game after the Carolina playoff disaster. Be careful with disposable QB theories
    The giants traded the farm for him. They had to give him every chance. Geno is a second round pick making peanuts.

Plus, manning has the pedigree. Geno doesnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    that there, as the Bard said, is the rub. ain't it?
    Personally, I think if I am Idzik, Geno plays regardless. We know what Sanchez is (and isn't). There is no future there for him with us. Nothign to be gained.

So I play Smith, sink or swim. I don't believe we'll know if he's ready till he plays in live fire.

I appreciate that many (especiall those who like Geno) will think it's rushing, or unfair, os somehow too mcuh to expect.....all I can say is I disagree. I too like the idea of giving a player time to develop, but it isn't how the NFL works these days. and we, as a franchise, cannot sit and wait another four years waiting to see in Geno is legit or not, and babying him all the way.

Put him in, play him, if he fails, move on asap.

Repeat till we find someone who doesn't fail.

We should also remember how AWFUL Andy Dalton looked against us in an exhibition game. I thought "that kid is the worst QB I have ever seen!" No one remembers that game anymore. So yeah, we should definitely expect some ups and downs with a rookie (assuming he gets the nod).

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So what happens when Geno outplays Mark this pre season? Do you still want to sit him no matter what?
    I sure do.....I'm not saying he shouldn't start at some point this season.....lets just not rush him on the field. We already ruined Sanchez, lets not ruin another QB

I sure do.....I'm not saying he shouldn't start at some point this season.....lets just not rush him on the field. We already ruined Sanchez, lets not ruin another QB
    Ladies and Gentlemen, the mindset of the NFL circa 1972.

Draft a guy, wait 5 years, lose for 5 years, then maybe think about drafting another guy. After all, we wouldn't want to rush him....

He's worried about "ruining" a young QB, despite all the QB's who have proven talent can play from day 1 in the NFL. It wasn't rushing that failed Sanchez, it was teh fact that Sanchez sucked. No amount of waiting, or additional coddling, would change that.

I'd rather ruin 100 young QB's to find one true winner. It's about wins, not about coddling some never-will-be for five years waiting, waiting, waiting.

Like Carolina showed, if you think a 2nd Round QB (Clausen) is so golly gosh special you have to coddle him, not throw him in "early", and never, ever draft another QB till five years later......you're going to miss the Cam Newton every time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Can't say I agree with the idea of a GM dictating the result of a QB competition, but if it's even close, you have to go with Geno and I definitely won't be upset if Idzik forces Rex's hand.
    Normally, I wouldn't either. But this situation is far from normal.

It's entirely possible too that Idzik would rather see Sanchez play, hoping he tanks it, and gives him a slam dunk decision to bring in his own HC next year.

Hall Of Fame
    Here is the problem with that. If Geno does out play Mark this pre season how can they NOT start him week one? You can not preach all this competition stuff and then not start the guy who wins it. Rex would lose the locker room if he did that.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    We should also remember how AWFUL Andy Dalton looked against us in an exhibition game. I thought "that kid is the worst QB I have ever seen!" No one remembers that game anymore. So yeah, we should definitely expect some ups and downs with a rookie (assuming he gets the nod).
    I remember thinking the same thing about Dalton. But look at the year he ended up having, and that was without any sort of minicamp/OTA.

Too late for that. Geno has been told it's an open competition. If he clearly wins that competition, what's Rex then supposed to say? "Sorry Geno, I was just playin about that open competition thing. We don't want to fracture your miniscule psyche, so we're going to sit you for a while anyway. You did good though!"

If Geno wins, he plays. Period.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Personally, I think if I am Idzik, Geno plays regardless. We know what Sanchez is (and isn't). There is no future there for him with us. Nothign to be gained.

So I play Smith, sink or swim. I don't believe we'll know if he's ready till he plays in live fire.

I appreciate that many (especiall those who like Geno) will think it's rushing, or unfair, os somehow too mcuh to expect.....all I can say is I disagree. I too like the idea of giving a player time to develop, but it isn't how the NFL works these days. and we, as a franchise, cannot sit and wait another four years waiting to see in Geno is legit or not, and babying him all the way.

Put him in, play him, if he fails, move on asap.

Repeat till we find someone who doesn't fail.
    You can't just move on ASAP if Smith doesn't look good in his first year. What happened last year was the exception, not the rule. Quite a few QBs struggle in their first experience as an NFL QB, and writing Smith off if he struggles is a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    that there, as the Bard said, is the rub. ain't it?

during the offseason, lots of folks were saying Geno wasn't ready for the NFL and that all those concerns played a role in his dropping from sure-fire Top 10 to the 2nd round.

if he wasn't ready, there was no point in throwing him to the wolves when we had perfectly good wolf fodder already running around in a no. 6 jersey.

it appears, however, that after only 1 week of practice (and factoring in all the grains of salt that this entails), Geno Smith is ready to play. not only does he look ready, but he has been consistently better than Sanchez most of the time. if the trend continues through the G&W scrimmage and the preseason games, then the decision becomes a no-brainer.
    Exactly, except for the bold. Being "consistently better than Mark Sanchez" does not = "ready to start in the NFL". Sanchez is a poor, poor benchmark to use for that judgment

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Unless of course you're wrong and he is ready. Which you don't know yet.

You could start Sanchez, we know what he is, they can continue to lose and Rex is gone anyway.

All League
    Jordy, LOVE the friggin' avatar!
    Where can I get me a .jpg or whatever of it??

Those 3 were the bomb when I was in 6th grade! Vic was my fave.

I was at that game, on the Giants' sidelines.

His own teammates wanted to kill him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Woodall Rocks! View Post
    Jordy, LOVE the friggin' avatar!
    Where can I get me a .jpg or whatever of it??

Those 3 were the bomb when I was in 6th grade! Vic was my fave.
    I just went to google images.

And the only reason I knew about the photo is I have one. Autographed. That I picked up several years ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen, the mindset of the NFL circa 1972.

Draft a guy, wait 5 years, lose for 5 years, then maybe think about drafting another guy. After all, we wouldn't want to rush him....

He's worried about "ruining" a young QB, despite all the QB's who have proven talent can play from day 1 in the NFL. It wasn't rushing that failed Sanchez, it was teh fact that Sanchez sucked. No amount of waiting, or additional coddling, would change that.

I'd rather ruin 100 young QB's to find one true winner. It's about wins, not about coddling some never-will-be for five years waiting, waiting, waiting.

Like Carolina showed, if you think a 2nd Round QB (Clausen) is so golly gosh special you have to coddle him, not throw him in "early", and never, ever draft another QB till five years later......you're going to miss the Cam Newton every time.
    If Geno looks like Clausen in his first year then yes, address the position ASAP.

The problem will be that I dont think Geno will look THAT bad for the Jets to make that determination, plus I am not sure there will be a QB in next years draft that is going to be THAT much better than Geno was coming out.