Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: New and Notes - Training Camp 07/31

Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    You can't just move on ASAP if Smith doesn't look good in his first year.
    Sure you can. It's very easy, when your draft pick comes up, you say "I pick XXX QB".

Now, to caveat this, I'm not suggesting that you start Smith, and if he doesn't win 12 games you cut him and move on.

I'm saying that you start Smith, and if he does not show Idzik (not us, Idzik) enough that Idzik does not belive he is a franchise-quality QB in the making, then yes, you draft another one and hope for better.

Quite a few QBs struggle in their first experience as an NFL QB, and writing Smith off if he struggles is a terrible idea.
    Quite a few QB's struggle in their first experience as an NFL QB, and writing Sanchez off if he struggles is a terible idea.

Except it wouldn't have been, as it turns out.

Again, same could be said for Clausen. You really want to pass on a Newton, because you already have a Clausen? Because lets be clear, no one thinks Smith is a sure-fire can't miss franchise QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Ivory leaves Jets practice with tight hamstring #nyj: http://nyp.st/13wfnzi via @nypost

Ivory leaves Jets practice with tight hamstring

CORTLAND -- Chris Ivory was not going for irony on Wednesday when he said, “I kind of feel I’m starting off on the wrong foot.’’
    The former Saints running back, whom the Jets acquired in a April trade, has actually gotten his first training camp as a Jet off on the wrong leg, hobbled by a hamstring injury that has kept him from practicing full since camp opened last week.
    On Wednesday, Ivory thought he was ready to make a breakthrough, joining the other running backs on the field for full practice, but that did not last long as his hamstring tightened up, forcing him to the sideline for rehab.
    Ivory practiced Monday, his first session of training camp, and when he appeared on the field Wednesday it looked like he was ready to practice full for the first time. Soon after practice began, during individual drills, his hamstring tightened and that was it for the day.

“Hamstrings are tricky,’’ Ivory said. “It can feel good and you can go out there like I did today and I thought I was ready, but I’m not ready. So it’s a feel thing. I don’t want to push it and make it a two-week injury. When it’s fixed I want to be able to stay out there and not go back and reinjure it.’’
    With no true incumbent back in camp, Ivory’s presence is one that Jets coaches and management are eager to see, because the 222-pound battering-ram-style runner should be the favorite to be the starter _ if he can stay healthy. Neither returners Bilal Powell nor Joe McKnight have exactly wowed anyone this camp.
    In three seasons with the Saints, Ivory averaged 5.1 yards per carry but started just eight games. Last December, he suffered a hamstring injury after he had played five games and averaged 5.4 yards on 36 carries with two TDs.
    He is clearly frustrated, but has tried to stay positive.
    “I haven’t practice yet, so it’s not like I was out there and then I got hurt,’’ he said. “I had a problem before I got here. It’s one of those things I’m just trying to correct now, so when I do get out there and I am ready at 100-percent the big thing is me staying healthy. Once I get to that point and I can remain healthy people will look past all of this.’’
    Ivory called it “very important’’ to bury himself in the playbook while he’s missing physical reps.
    “I’ve got to be mentally sharp so when I do get out here and run the plays I’ll be ready,’’ he said. “I’m familiar (with the playbook). I don’t have everything down engrained, but I’m still working on it every day continuing to get mentally sharp.’’
    Asked if he feels he has something to prove as a new player on a new team, Ivory said, “You’ve always got something to prove. I’ve got to go out there and show my worth.’’

Read more: Ivory leaves Jets practice with tight hamstring http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...#ixzz2aezGqibx

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    If Geno looks like Clausen in his first year then yes, address the position ASAP.

The problem will be that I dont think Geno will look THAT bad for the Jets to make that determination, plus I am not sure there will be a QB in next years draft that is going to be THAT much better than Geno was coming out.
    Absolutely valid points, all.

To move on Smith needs to be bad enough t prove he's not Franchise material AND a real stud needs to be available AND available where we (at our draft spot) can realisticly aquire him.

If all three are not present, you don't get the choice, you're stuck with Smith and at best can only bring in....another Smith. Given our utter lack of depth at QB (Sanchez gone in 2014, the rest are worse than JAG's) I could argue there is some logic is Smith struggles to drafting another QB anyway, but I'd agree it's not the same as Clausen/Newton, no.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Absolutely valid points, all.

To move on Smith needs to be bad enough t prove he's not Franchise material AND a real stud needs to be available AND available where we (at our draft spot) can realisticly aquire him.

If all three are not present, you don't get the choice, you're stuck with Smith and at best can only bring in....another Smith. Given our utter lack of depth at QB (Sanchez gone in 2014, the rest are worse than JAG's) I could argue there is some logic is Smith struggles to drafting another QB anyway, but I'd agree it's not the same as Clausen/Newton, no.
    Exactly. its not about wins and losses. Hell, its not even about stats. Geno could throw 12 tds and 14 picks and it can still be deemed he has what it takes to be a franchise guy. Look at Tannehill. The fins are convinced he is a franchise guy. His stats were awful though.

Its not about wins, losses or stats this year with Geno. Its about idzik seeing something over the course of 16 games that makes him believe that geno is a franchise guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    If Geno looks like Clausen in his first year then yes, address the position ASAP.

The problem will be that I dont think Geno will look THAT bad for the Jets to make that determination, plus I am not sure there will be a QB in next years draft that is going to be THAT much better than Geno was coming out.
    You're not a "Johnny Football" believer?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Exactly. its not about wins and losses. Hell, its not even about stats. Geno could throw 12 tds and 14 picks and it can still be deemed he has what it takes to be a franchise guy. Look at Tannehill. The fins are convinced he is a franchise guy. His stats were awful though.

Its not about wins, losses or stats this year with Geno. Its about idzik seeing something over the course of 16 games that makes him believe that geno is a franchise guy.
    He has to show in practice, games etc that he has the potential to be the QB here moving forward. He doesn't have to be something fans want to see in year 1 to be our guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    You're not a "Johnny Football" believer?
    LOL...that kid is a ticking time bomb.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Sure you can. It's very easy, when your draft pick comes up, you say "I pick XXX QB".

Now, to caveat this, I'm not suggesting that you start Smith, and if he doesn't win 12 games you cut him and move on.

I'm saying that you start Smith, and if he does not show Idzik (not us, Idzik) enough that Idzik does not belive he is a franchise-quality QB in the making, then yes, you draft another one and hope for better.

Quite a few QB's struggle in their first experience as an NFL QB, and writing Sanchez off if he struggles is a terible idea.
    Except it wouldn't have been, as it turns out.

Again, same could be said for Clausen. You really want to pass on a Newton, because you already have a Clausen? Because lets be clear, no one thinks Smith is a sure-fire can't miss franchise QB.
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but let's be honest. It was a very small minority who saw the warning signs after Sanchez's rookie year. Also, I agree that if the Jets think there is a can't miss QB prospect available whenever they pick, they should take him. But it shouldn't be because they're unhappy with Smith's rookie year and they've convinced themselves they need to pick a QB in the first round no matter what.

Jets Insider VIP
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Ivory leaves Jets practice with tight hamstring #nyj: http://nyp.st/13wfnzi via @nypost

Ivory leaves Jets practice with tight hamstring

CORTLAND -- Chris Ivory was not going for irony on Wednesday when he said, “I kind of feel I’m starting off on the wrong foot.’’
    The former Saints running back, whom the Jets acquired in a April trade, has actually gotten his first training camp as a Jet off on the wrong leg, hobbled by a hamstring injury that has kept him from practicing full since camp opened last week.
    On Wednesday, Ivory thought he was ready to make a breakthrough, joining the other running backs on the field for full practice, but that did not last long as his hamstring tightened up, forcing him to the sideline for rehab.
    Ivory practiced Monday, his first session of training camp, and when he appeared on the field Wednesday it looked like he was ready to practice full for the first time. Soon after practice began, during individual drills, his hamstring tightened and that was it for the day.
    “Hamstrings are tricky,’’ Ivory said. “It can feel good and you can go out there like I did today and I thought I was ready, but I’m not ready. So it’s a feel thing. I don’t want to push it and make it a two-week injury. When it’s fixed I want to be able to stay out there and not go back and reinjure it.’’
    With no true incumbent back in camp, Ivory’s presence is one that Jets coaches and management are eager to see, because the 222-pound battering-ram-style runner should be the favorite to be the starter _ if he can stay healthy. Neither returners Bilal Powell nor Joe McKnight have exactly wowed anyone this camp.
    In three seasons with the Saints, Ivory averaged 5.1 yards per carry but started just eight games. Last December, he suffered a hamstring injury after he had played five games and averaged 5.4 yards on 36 carries with two TDs.
    He is clearly frustrated, but has tried to stay positive.
    “I haven’t practice yet, so it’s not like I was out there and then I got hurt,’’ he said. “I had a problem before I got here. It’s one of those things I’m just trying to correct now, so when I do get out there and I am ready at 100-percent the big thing is me staying healthy. Once I get to that point and I can remain healthy people will look past all of this.’’
    Ivory called it “very important’’ to bury himself in the playbook while he’s missing physical reps.
    “I’ve got to be mentally sharp so when I do get out here and run the plays I’ll be ready,’’ he said. “I’m familiar (with the playbook). I don’t have everything down engrained, but I’m still working on it every day continuing to get mentally sharp.’’
    Asked if he feels he has something to prove as a new player on a new team, Ivory said, “You’ve always got something to prove. I’ve got to go out there and show my worth.’’

Read more: Ivory leaves Jets practice with tight hamstring http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...#ixzz2aezGqibx
    He needs to get into Nick Folk's hyperbolic chamber.

Hall Of Fame
    He needs to get into Nick Folk's hyperbolic chamber.
    Seriously, the guy is worse than Chaz Schillens right now.

STOP HATING

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjasplayfootball View Post
    Two times our WRs have to completely lay out to catch a Sanchez pass...smh
    The Sanchez hate is at an all time high, and u will look like a clown when he leads us to a #1 seed in the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    Wow, at the start of the day, I thought Sanchez was having a great day. That sure went downhill fast, lol.

I don't think the competition is over, as much as I'd love for Geno to win it. First week to maybe 2 weeks, defenses have to get settled, have to gel with each other, find out strengths and weaknesses. Offenses do the same as well, but they have an inherent advantage of knowing where their targeted play is going to be. Defenses have to react.

Geno is more skilled than Sanchez, there is no question about this at this point. So his ability to throw the ball actually has him better suited for now because he can take advantage of the defense being a millisecond late, much better than Sanchez can.

But as the defense catches us, you are going to rely on reading them better, rather than just the ability to fling it, and that's what we have to see from Geno. If Geno can read the defense well, then there is no shot for Sanchez at all. But I don't think it's a given at this point. Sanchez sucks at reading defenses as well, but if Geno's progress is stopped or stunted, then the team might go with Sanchez as the punching bag until Geno proves he can read defenses well. Hence, why I doubt the competition is over at this point. But Geno is ahead by a fair margin right now.

Hopefully, Geno progresses, because him being ready for Week 1, with his talent, would go a long way for restoring a winning culture for us. I think people mistake rooting for Geno as a hatred for Sanchez or the Jets. It's not really. It's rooting for hope vs. limited upside. We already know we aren't going anywhere with Sanchez unless A-Rod has some spare HGH laying around to hand out. We may not go anywhere with Geno either, but atleast there is hope that his superior skills can translate to the NFL and be better than Sanchez.
    This makes me laugh cause a lot of media says it too. Where has Sanchez EVER shown the ability to read defenses and make good decisions. I would be shocked if Geno is not already ahead in this area too.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    The Sanchez hate is at an all time high, and u will look like a clown when he leads us to a #1 seed in the playoffs
    Mark, shouldnt you be studying the playbook and preparing for tomorrows practice right now?

Wow. I leave for 6 months only to discover that sg has turned on Ray Ray.

And they said it would never happen.
    Leave?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I know what your point was. It is the same point you make in every post. Media has an agenda. Fans have schticks. Got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    The agenda is to win Ray.

Dont make it out like you are fan #1 because you hype up whatever crap the FO puts on the field, and the rest of us who question certain players are the anti-Jet.

Hall Of Fame
    Ivory just isn't in football shape. That is what happens when you are sitting out and then come back and try to go full speed.

We need Sal Alosi.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Ivory just isn't in football shape. That is what happens when you are sitting out and then come back and try to go full speed.

We need Sal Alosi.
    Why? So he can trip Ivory and cause a torn ACL?

Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    Sanchez...leads us to a #1 seed in the playoffs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx2V-D-Xdq8

Sanchez always seems to say the rights things to the media and sounds all gun ho and holds Jets West etc. I just get the feeling he doesn't even want the starting job. I felt the same way last year after the Arizona game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I know what's going on, I don't need an update from somebody who also isn't at camp.

You missed my point.

The agenda of some are painfully ridiculous. Monitoring the twitter reaction of fans and bloggers with obvious agenda is shameless, the same crap is happening on this board.

The media is picking up on it and now feeding it.
    Agreed 100%