Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New and Notes - Training Camp 07/31

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Thanks bro. The circumstances were a bit weird and all but fortunately I have a real life.
    Ditto...believe it or not, even a cold callous bastid like me was wondering where you been boy.

Welcome back!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I leave for 6 months only to discover that sg has turned on Ray Ray.

And they said it would never happen.
    sg3 is n his way to being removed from my ignore list. It sounds like he has finally gotten it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Since we drafted Geno, I have said he starts every game so we have 16 full games to make a determination on if he is going to be the answer, or we need to address qb in the 1st round of next years draft.
    I agree with this idea 100%. And frankly, I think Idzik does too, and that this is very possible to be the end result.

Conversely, I think Rex still prefers Sanchez, and would/will start Sanchez all 16 games if he had the power to do so.

I think beyond the play of the two on the field, that there will be a power-play between Head Coach and GM over that position as well.

Me, if Smith is remotely ready, I start him day 1. And play him 100 year, up or down. Sanchez never sees the field.

At years end, I cut Sanchez, and if Smith did not show enough, I draft QB high.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I agree with this idea 100%.

F-it.....let bail on our 2nd round QB after being thrown into the fire a year too soon

No one said there were rocket scientists on JI

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Said it before, I don't want Geno running. He isn't RG3 at all, and the dude looks like he skipped leg day. How long do you think that lasts ?
    Dem legs do not look like they will take too many hits ... he needs to get rid of the ball instead of taking sacks ...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    F-it.....let bail on our 2nd round QB after being thrown into the fire a year too soon

No one said there were rocket scientists on JI
    Tell that to Carolina.

2010 Draft, Selected QB Jimmy Clausen at #48 Overall (2nd Round)
    2011 Draft, selected QB Can Newton at #1 Overall (1st Round)

Perhaps you may want to stick with a Jimmy Clausen type after a year, even if a Cam Newton is available, because Clausen was "thrown into the fire too soon", but all I care about is finding a legitimate Franchse QB, not an also ran who needs 4 years to prove he sucks a la Sanchez.

I certainly hope Geno Smith is that guy. But just like Rex, 2013 is a "prove it" season for the QB position. If Smith doesn't show he's worthy of a multi-year investment, I'm comfortable not playing the Kellen Clemens game with him, and investing in a 1st round top-tier QB talent in 2014.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Ditto...believe it or not, even a cold callous bastid like me was wondering where you been boy.

Welcome back!!!!
    Thanks dude.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Dem legs do not look like they will take too many hits ... he needs to get rid of the ball instead of taking sacks ...
    I think that's probably his biggest hurdle, at the moment. One of my big gripes with Mark was him not getting the ball out quick enough, so I'm certainly not gonna defend Geno for doing that, too. Though, Geno being a rookie, it's a little more understandable, but still not acceptable.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with this idea 100%. And frankly, I think Idzik does too, and that this is very possible to be the end result.

Conversely, I think Rex still prefers Sanchez, and would/will start Sanchez all 16 games if he had the power to do so.

I think beyond the play of the two on the field, that there will be a power-play between Head Coach and GM over that position as well.

Me, if Smith is remotely ready, I start him day 1. And play him 100 year, up or down. Sanchez never sees the field.

that there, as the Bard said, is the rub. ain't it?

during the offseason, lots of folks were saying Geno wasn't ready for the NFL and that all those concerns played a role in his dropping from sure-fire Top 10 to the 2nd round.

if he wasn't ready, there was no point in throwing him to the wolves when we had perfectly good wolf fodder already running around in a no. 6 jersey.

it appears, however, that after only 1 week of practice (and factoring in all the grains of salt that this entails), Geno Smith is ready to play. not only does he look ready, but he has been consistently better than Sanchez most of the time. if the trend continues through the G&W scrimmage and the preseason games, then the decision becomes a no-brainer.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks dude.
    Welcome back....really.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Kellen Winslow on the same routine/program that Landry was on last year. Will not likely practice back-to-back days. Rex says Jets have had success with that program in the past. Braylon and Pace are being purposely held back as well.

This is getting annoying.

Has Geno thrown to Braylon yet? What the hell?

All I've read from the Tweets involves SUCKCHEZ throwing to him.

I'm still waiting for news of a completed pass by Geno to Braylon.....so at least I know he's actually working with him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tell that to Carolina.

Perhaps you may want to stick with a Jimmy Clausen type after a year, even if a Cam Newton is available, because Clausen was "thrown into the fire too soon", but all I care about is finding a legitimate Franchse QB, not an also ran who needs 4 years to prove he sucks a la Sanchez.

I certainly hope Geno Smith is that guy. But just like Rex, 2013 is a "prove it" season for the QB position. If Smith doesn't show he's worthy of a multi-year investment, I'm comfortable not playing the Kellen Clemens game with him, and investing in a 1st round top-tier QB talent in 2014.
    Logic doesnt work with some around here. Intelligent Jet fans know what is going on and its exactly how you outlined it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    that there, as the Bard said, is the rub. ain't it?

during the offseason, lots of folks were saying Geno wasn't ready for the NFL and that all those concerns played a role in his dropping from sure-fire Top 10 to the 2nd round.

if he wasn't ready, there was no point in throwing him to the wolves when we had perfectly good wolf fodder already running around in a no. 6 jersey.

it appears, however, that after only 1 week of practice (and factoring in all the grains of salt that this entails), Geno Smith is ready to play. not only does he look ready, but he has been consistently better than Sanchez most of the time. if the trend continues through the G&W scrimmage and the preseason games, then the decision becomes a no-brainer.

Exactly. I was one of the guys who said that I wanted Geno to be opening day starter, but assumed that SAnchez would be light years ahead this early in Camp and that Sanchez would like be starting the first few weeks before Geno took over. I never thought it would be neck and neck at this point. Its safe to assume that Geno will only improve and I think that will cause SAnchez to fall apart (knowing that he is losing the grip on the job and the pressure which he has never faced).

At this point, I would be SHOCKED if Geno is NOT starting on opening day.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno can end this debate next Friday. That will only add a layer of excitement to a season that's already looking a lot more promising than it did a few months ago.

It's time for my avatar to move from a question to a statement.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Geno can end this debate next Friday. That will only add a layer of excitement to a season that's already looking a lot more promising than it did a few months ago.

It's time for my avatar to move from a question to a statement.

THE END!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't think Rex will get his way or have much say, despite the public proclamation that it will be a "collaborative" decision. I believe Idzik can't wait to hire his own HC and he's not about to let Rex in any way dictate his (Idzik's) fate by going with "Rex's QB." If Sanchez legitimately beats out Smith and Idzik believes Sanchez is the way to go at the start of the season, then so be it. But I think, bottom line, it will be Idzik's decision, with help from Rod Graves.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Welcome back....really.
    Thanks man. I'm sure we'll still have our disagreements.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    EJ Manuel appears to have the early lead at Bills camp as well. The actual games will mean the most

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tell that to Carolina.

I agree. We should take a QB every year until we find one. Even if Geno plays well this year I think we should take one later in the draft just to have MM develop him (assuming Marty is here in 2014). If he stinks it up I think we should take one higher.

Rinse and repeat until we find a QB.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, at the start of the day, I thought Sanchez was having a great day. That sure went downhill fast, lol.

I don't think the competition is over, as much as I'd love for Geno to win it. First week to maybe 2 weeks, defenses have to get settled, have to gel with each other, find out strengths and weaknesses. Offenses do the same as well, but they have an inherent advantage of knowing where their targeted play is going to be. Defenses have to react.

Geno is more skilled than Sanchez, there is no question about this at this point. So his ability to throw the ball actually has him better suited for now because he can take advantage of the defense being a millisecond late, much better than Sanchez can.

But as the defense catches us, you are going to rely on reading them better, rather than just the ability to fling it, and that's what we have to see from Geno. If Geno can read the defense well, then there is no shot for Sanchez at all. But I don't think it's a given at this point. Sanchez sucks at reading defenses as well, but if Geno's progress is stopped or stunted, then the team might go with Sanchez as the punching bag until Geno proves he can read defenses well. Hence, why I doubt the competition is over at this point. But Geno is ahead by a fair margin right now.

Hopefully, Geno progresses, because him being ready for Week 1, with his talent, would go a long way for restoring a winning culture for us. I think people mistake rooting for Geno as a hatred for Sanchez or the Jets. It's not really. It's rooting for hope vs. limited upside. We already know we aren't going anywhere with Sanchez unless A-Rod has some spare HGH laying around to hand out. We may not go anywhere with Geno either, but atleast there is hope that his superior skills can translate to the NFL and be better than Sanchez.