Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 126

Thread: Riley Cooper, Eagle WR " I'll fight every N****R here"

  1. #61
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,602
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    f**kin' A.

    how is this not on par with calling somebody a "creepy-ass cracker"?
    You don't hear cracker,honky or anything else like that in country western songs yet the hated N word is in Rap music all the time.. No wonder young honkies think it's ok to use it..

  2. #62
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,470
    I find the whole thing hilarious.

    Our society is far more concerned about what people say than what people do.

    My favorites are the white people who seem to be a little too outraged by this stuff.

  3. #63
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Posts
    8,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You don't hear cracker,honky or anything else like that in country western songs yet the hated N word is in Rap music all the time.. No wonder young honkies think it's ok to use it..
    Cooper is not that young of a honkey, and i doubt NWA songs led to Paula Deans errors, but i get what your saying.
    You would hope the word would be universally regarded as hateful, and hurtful, yet it is very prevalent in a lot of rap music, and i cant understand the dynamic of why it can be used in that sense without being considered inflammatory.
    Last edited by sdJETSetter; 08-01-2013 at 10:19 AM.

  4. #64

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You don't hear cracker,honky or anything else like that in country western songs yet the hated N word is in Rap music all the time.. No wonder young honkies think it's ok to use it..
    Honky-Tonk Man?

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I find the whole thing hilarious.

    Our society is far more concerned about what people say than what people do.

    My favorites are the white people who seem to be a little too outraged by this stuff.
    Case in point, Skip, the biggest scumbag fraud in the history of media, Bayless....

    ESPN sucks sucks sucks.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    If black people stopped saying it to each other, then maybe other races might follow. Probably not.
    So other races need black people to stop saying it and for it to stop being prevalent in rap music to have the ability to not say it? I dont agree with it being all over rap music, but since when is rap music a legitimate reason to be hateful?

  8. #68
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    So other races need black people to stop saying it and for it to stop being prevalent in rap music to have the ability to not say it? I dont agree with it being all over rap music, but since when is rap music a legitimate reason to be hateful?
    I had to read that twice.

    But to answer your questions:

    1. No, but it would help. The cultural impact of hip hop is undeniable. The words prevalence in rap continues its existence in the cultural lexicon. If it were not such a common term, it would disappear faster.

    2. I think the word is used so often and in so many contexts, it's not always "hateful", per se. In fact, it's use in hip hop is almost never hateful. Is it any wonder why young and ignorant white people use it?

    The whole "we can use it, but you cannot" mentality is absurd.

  9. #69
    Bad move on his part, but it's amusing to see the PC police get their panties in a bunch.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    So other races need black people to stop saying it and for it to stop being prevalent in rap music to have the ability to not say it? I dont agree with it being all over rap music, but since when is rap music a legitimate reason to be hateful?
    How is it a "hateful" word when it has taken on a completely different meaning to the people it was supposed to be hateful toward?

    Or do you think black artists mean it in a hateful and demeaning way when they say it? And if so, why is it only offensive when it comes out of certain mouths?

  11. #71
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,602
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    How is it a "hateful" word when it has taken on a completely different meaning to the people it was supposed to be hateful toward?

    Or do you think black artists mean it in a hateful and demeaning way when they say it? And if so, why is it only offensive when it comes out of certain mouths?
    Look what MSNBC did to Niger Innis because he's a conservative..


  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post

    The whole "we can use it, but you cannot" mentality is absurd.
    +1

    Between white guilt and black hypocrisy, common sense left the building a long time ago . . .

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Look what MSNBC did to Niger Innis because he's a conservative..

    Your post would imply I've spent two seconds of my life caring what MSNBC had to say . . .

  14. #74
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,602
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    +1

    Between white guilt and black hypocrisy, common sense left the building a long time ago . . .
    Did you mean European Americans??

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Cooper is not that young of a honkey, and i doubt NWA songs led to Paula Deans errors, but i get what your saying.
    You would hope the word would be universally regarded as hateful, and hurtful, yet it is very prevalent in a lot of rap music, and i cant understand the dynamic of why it can be used in that sense without being considered inflammatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The whole "we can use it, but you cannot" mentality is absurd.
    Yes, the outrage over Cooper is overdone. He didn't go on a Kramer rant (which I did find offensive), he got caught on camera using a word he shouldn't have in a drunken fit. I get it.

    What I don't get is why it's so hard for people to understand that there is a difference in certain words or phrases based on the "who" that's delivering them. For example:

    You're in an airport. You see some reject kid acting like an idiot at the baggage claim. You turn to your travel partner and you say something like, "I hate this freakin generation of American kids." Then you look to your left and you see a Muslim guy who's been watching the same kid. You hear him say, "I hate this freakin generation of American kids."

    If you're telling me that wouldn't bother you on some level, you're lying to yourself. But why would it bother you? He said the exact same thing you did, right? It would bother you because you know that you would never take action against this country, and your comment was just a comment. But you DON'T know how that Muslim guy actually feels about America. So you don't like hearing him say that.

    It's okay for you to call your own brother an *******. But if you go to a bar, and some drunk calls your brother an *******, are you going to say, "well yeah, I call him that all the time because he is one." Or are you going to defend him?

    I realize these aren't apples/apples comparisons. But try to keep in mind that when the word is used by someone who isn't black, it (often) triggers imagery of when that word was used while blacks were mistreated and viewed as subhuman.

    To put it simply, there's just no imagery generated when blacks use it, because black people never enslaved other black people in this country, hung them from trees, forced them to use separate bathrooms, or told them they were only 60% of a man.

    I agree with those who say we're better off just getting rid of the word altogether, and I can reluctantly agree that hip-hop is hurting the forward progression. But is there a reason why Cooper didn't choose to say "I will fight every a-hole in here?" Maybe that's worth examining - just my opinion.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    f**kin' A.

    how is this not on par with calling somebody a "creepy-ass cracker"?

    There's just a bit of history there no? Kinda like a German calling a person of the Jewish faith "Juden". I think they've permanently lost that right (even when in jest... if that's possible). While a person of Jewish faith calling a German a "kraut" while a bit naughty and politically incorrect will never, NEVER be as offensive.

    As a pastie caucasoid man, I can certainly live with never using the n word... I have no desire to ever do so. Why the feck would I? And why would I get upset that quite correctly it's become culturally taboo?

    I can honestly say I haven't heard a white person use that word in person in ages (perhaps a comedian may have used it at a concert). I stopped frequenting a business back in the 80's due to an owners insistence on using racial slurs. Man that chit is simply unacceptable. Besides being stupid, it's just lazy, people will give you ample reason to dislike them on an individual basis (you know... if you're looking to get your hate on)

  17. #77
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,602
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Yes, the outrage over Cooper is overdone. He didn't go on a Kramer rant (which I did find offensive), he got caught on camera using a word he shouldn't have in a drunken fit. I get it.

    What I don't get is why it's so hard for people to understand that there is a difference in certain words or phrases based on the "who" that's delivering them. For example:

    You're in an airport. You see some reject kid acting like an idiot at the baggage claim. You turn to your travel partner and you say something like, "I hate this freakin generation of American kids." Then you look to your left and you see a Muslim guy who's been watching the same kid. You hear him say, "I hate this freakin generation of American kids."If you're telling me that wouldn't bother you on some level, you're lying to yourself. But why would it bother you? He said the exact same thing you did, right? It would bother you because you know that you would never take action against this country, and your comment was just a comment. But you DON'T know how that Muslim guy actually feels about America. So you don't like hearing him say that.

    It's okay for you to call your own brother an *******. But if you go to a bar, and some drunk calls your brother an *******, are you going to say, "well yeah, I call him that all the time because he is one." Or are you going to defend him?

    I realize these aren't apples/apples comparisons. But try to keep in mind that when the word is used by someone who isn't black, it (often) triggers imagery of when that word was used while blacks were mistreated and viewed as subhuman.

    To put it simply, there's just no imagery generated when blacks use it, because black people never enslaved other black people in this country, hung them from trees, forced them to use separate bathrooms, or told them they were only 60% of a man.

    I agree with those who say we're better off just getting rid of the word altogether, and I can reluctantly agree that hip-hop is hurting the forward progression. But is there a reason why Cooper didn't choose to say "I will fight every a-hole in here?" Maybe that's worth examining - just my opinion.
    But they did in Africa.. And while were at it so did native americans and some considered it a honor if they cooked and ate their foes.. I could agree with the Muslim who doesn't like this generation of kids for the most part I don't either.. Of course it's hard to keep track of Muslim kids they blow up so fast..

  18. #78
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,470
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Yes, the outrage over Cooper is overdone. He didn't go on a Kramer rant (which I did find offensive), he got caught on camera using a word he shouldn't have in a drunken fit. I get it.

    What I don't get is why it's so hard for people to understand that there is a difference in certain words or phrases based on the "who" that's delivering them. For example:

    You're in an airport. You see some reject kid acting like an idiot at the baggage claim. You turn to your travel partner and you say something like, "I hate this freakin generation of American kids." Then you look to your left and you see a Muslim guy who's been watching the same kid. You hear him say, "I hate this freakin generation of American kids."

    If you're telling me that wouldn't bother you on some level, you're lying to yourself. But why would it bother you? He said the exact same thing you did, right? It would bother you because you know that you would never take action against this country, and your comment was just a comment. But you DON'T know how that Muslim guy actually feels about America. So you don't like hearing him say that.

    It's okay for you to call your own brother an *******. But if you go to a bar, and some drunk calls your brother an *******, are you going to say, "well yeah, I call him that all the time because he is one." Or are you going to defend him?

    I realize these aren't apples/apples comparisons. But try to keep in mind that when the word is used by someone who isn't black, it (often) triggers imagery of when that word was used while blacks were mistreated and viewed as subhuman.

    To put it simply, there's just no imagery generated when blacks use it, because black people never enslaved other black people in this country, hung them from trees, forced them to use separate bathrooms, or told them they were only 60% of a man.

    I agree with those who say we're better off just getting rid of the word altogether, and I can reluctantly agree that hip-hop is hurting the forward progression. But is there a reason why Cooper didn't choose to say "I will fight every a-hole in here?" Maybe that's worth examining - just my opinion.
    Why do you "reluctantly" agree? IT's either offensive or it isn't. You either remove the word from the lexicon or you don't. When you accept "conditions" on context no one should be surprised that word doesn't go away. There is a generation of young white kids, raised on hip hop, who use this word freely - shockingly to older generations - who simply do not understand the true meaning. Whose fault is that?

    As always, common sense should always prevail, but this overdone outrage over use of a word - is absurd.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Why do you "reluctantly" agree? IT's either offensive or it isn't. You either remove the word from the lexicon or you don't. When you accept "conditions" on context no one should be surprised that word doesn't go away. There is a generation of young white kids, raised on hip hop, who use this word freely - shockingly to older generations - who simply do not understand the true meaning. Whose fault is that?

    As always, common sense should always prevail, but this overdone outrage over use of a word - is absurd.
    I knew that would be the point that would get commented on - I should have left it out. Personally I feel that hip-hop is given way too much credit for its influence, but I'm not going to win that argument. Those who decry it do make reasonable points that I just don't happen to agree with, that's all.

    My point was not to touch on the faux outrage that's going on with this incident. Those people up in arms about this are the fringe of society, whose opinions should, frankly, be discounted. That's why Cooper's teammates were so quick to forgive him - MOST people aren't outraged. Common sense, as you rightly said, should (and does) prevail here.

    My point was simply that there IS a difference between a white person using the word and a black person using the word. Just as there is a difference between you demeaning your own nationality or race and someone from another country or background insulting it. And I don't think that the death of hip-hop equals the death of that word, or the feelings that will go along with its usage by people who aren't black. Only time will do that.

  20. #80
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,858
    Quote Originally Posted by titanbuoy View Post
    There's just a bit of history there no? Kinda like a German calling a person of the Jewish faith "Juden". I think they've permanently lost that right (even when in jest... if that's possible). While a person of Jewish faith calling a German a "kraut" while a bit naughty and politically incorrect will never, NEVER be as offensive.

    As a pastie caucasoid man, I can certainly live with never using the n word... I have no desire to ever do so. Why the feck would I? And why would I get upset that quite correctly it's become culturally taboo?

    I can honestly say I haven't heard a white person use that word in person in ages (perhaps a comedian may have used it at a concert). I stopped frequenting a business back in the 80's due to an owners insistence on using racial slurs. Man that chit is simply unacceptable. Besides being stupid, it's just lazy, people will give you ample reason to dislike them on an individual basis (you know... if you're looking to get your hate on)
    I don't find any less (nor any more) offensive than the other.

    I'm just tired of being on the only side that ever gets called out for it. It's always Ok to hate whitey.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us